HTTP 502 error - how to quickly fix by clearing DVC cookies in Chrome/Edge

ScubaCat

DIS Veteran
I thought I'd write up a quick tutorial on how to easily clear your browser cookies to fix the HTTP 502 error that sometimes plagues your ability to log in to the DVC member site. I suppose this could go in the Tech Support forum, but it's really a DVC-specific issue and something practically everyone here will encounter at some point. I'm only going to cover Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge here, but there are similar ways to accomplish this in other browsers.

Note that opening a "private" or "incognito mode" browser will get you past it as well, however that doesn't really fix the problem and you'll have to do that every time. (It's fine in a pinch, but gets annoying. Enough so that I decided to make a tutorial...)

So, you have Chrome or Edge open, it's 7:53am EST, you haven't finished your first cup of coffee yet, the dogs are barking, you're running late for work, yet despite all of that you're online and ready to grab that studio right at 8:00am. Then, having done your part, you're greeted with this, one of the many gifts Disney technology gracefully bestows upon us:

Oh no! What to do??

SHORT VERSION

With the error page still open, press F12 on your keyboard to open the debugger. Then click the options in the order of the red numbers 1, 2, 3. When you're done, press F12 again to close the debugger and refresh the page.

That's all there is to it, but more detailed instructions are below.

DETAILED STEPS
* Reference the red numbers in the image above for each step *​

With the error page still open, press F12 on your keyboard to open the debugger.
  1. Click the "Application" tab.
    • If you don't see "Application", click the double-arrow ">>" near the right on that top menu bar. Then you'll be able to select it from the list that pops up.
  2. Select the URL under "Cookies" to the left. Click the little triangle next to Cookies to expand if you don't see it. Make sure you click on the URL https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com so it's selected in dark blue.
  3. Click on the 🚫symbol at the top.
    • If you can't find this symbol, right-click the URL in step 2 and select "Clear" which will pop up.
When you're done, press F12 again to close the debugger, and then refresh the page.

Last edited:
@ScubaCat, thank you!

Question: Am I correct in assuming that this clears only the cookies for the vacation club website? I've just been clearing out all cookies (and cache), which can sometimes be a pain when using the other sites, I frequent.

This is fantastic - thanks so much for the detailed instructions!!!!

@ScubaCat, thank you!

Question: Am I correct in assuming that this clears only the cookies for the vacation club website? I've just been clearing out all cookies (and cache), which can sometimes be a pain when using the other sites, I frequent.
Yes, exactly. There is a way to drill down into the cookies via "settings" but it's somewhat buried, and when you finally find it there's a little search bar where you can enter text to filter on the site(s) you want, then you do a 'select all' and then delete them. It's much quicker to just open the debugger, then a couple of quick clicks and you're right back in business.

Maybe someday the developers will fix the code, but in the meantime, this is where we are... In the year 2021... Manually deleting the old session cookie so we can log in again. :confused3

Last edited:

I thought I'd write up a quick tutorial on how to easily clear your browser cookies to fix the HTTP 502 error that sometimes plagues your ability to log in to the DVC member site. I suppose this could go in the Tech Support forum, but it's really a DVC-specific issue and something practically everyone here will encounter at some point. I'm only going to cover Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge here, but there are similar ways to accomplish this in other browsers.

Note that opening a "private" or "incognito mode" browser will get you past it as well, however that doesn't really fix the problem and you'll have to do that every time. (It's fine in a pinch, but gets annoying. Enough so that I decided to make a tutorial...)

So, you have Chrome or Edge open, it's 7:53am EST, you haven't finished your first cup of coffee yet, the dogs are barking, you're running late for work, yet despite all of that you're online and ready to grab that studio right at 8:00am. Then, having done your part, you're greeted with this, one of the many gifts Disney technology gracefully bestows upon us:

View attachment 553177

Oh no! What to do??

SHORT VERSION

With the error page still open, press F12 on your keyboard to open the debugger. Then click the options in the order of the red numbers 1, 2, 3. When you're done, press F12 again to close the debugger and refresh the page.

View attachment 553178

DETAILED STEPS

With the error page still open, press F12 on your keyboard to open the debugger.
    • If you don't see "Application", click the double-arrow ">>" near the right on that top menu bar. Then you'll be able to select it from the list that pops up.
    • View attachment 553183
  2. Select the URL under "Cookies" to the left. Click the little triangle next to Cookies to expand if you don't see it. Make sure you click on the URL https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com so it's selected in dark blue.
    • If you can't find this symbol, right-click the URL in step 2 and select "Clear" which will pop up.
    • View attachment 553182
When you're done, press F12 again to close the debugger, and then refresh the page.
Thank you very much. Had this problem solved !

View attachment 553177

Oh no! What to do??

SHORT VERSION

View attachment 553178

DETAILED STEPS

• View attachment 553183
    • View attachment 553182
May the Lord bless you and keep you.

I'll try it next time I see the 502 error. There's such a large volume of tracking junk session cookies that I'd be surprised if that "stuck" for a future session, but maybe...

EDIT: It works, but you have to use that same link every time. Best IMHO to just clear the DVC cookies and thus remove the errant data from your browser.
Sure, but I removed all cookies for just the dvc site and yes it fxed it, but it occurred after a few logins later. And its not just when logged in, it actually causes any dvc related page on the public facing side to error out, so I just use that link bookmarked.

Four months later, using your F12, 578591, F12, Reload directions almost daily, & today the 578592 wasn't showing. My fumbling efforts were for naught, so I hopped back to your directions, & VIOLApixiedust: all in the world is good once again.
I think i'm including you in my will ;)

THANK YOU!

I got the 502 error yesterday and didn't know how to clear it. :badpc: I used the browser on my phone instead.

What luck that I see your thread this morning! All is well again. :flower3: :surfweb:

WOW- thank you so much! I have been having so much trouble with the disney websites and this just saved me!

I had to add a quick comment to say thanks. This fixed my issue after the most resent "update" done by DVC on there site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter