How should I spend my money?

It sounds like you're thinking of doing what we're doing next August!

We were stuck choosing between three weeks on site or two weeks on site and then a third week elsewhere.. And we opted for the latter!

We're a party of 5 too - two adults and our three nieces (who will be 15, 13 and 10) doing two weeks at OKW in a 2-bed villa and then a villa close to disney for a week to relax!

Our plan is to just do disney for the two weeks, and then we have a week to do the other theme parks or take a drive to the beach!

In total, for flights, disney, tickets, dining plan, car hire, travel insurance, ESTA's and the villa - it came to just over £9,000 - so it's definitely doable!

Xxxxx

That's a great price for August! Who did you book with?

If you stay offsite that should be easily doable on your budget. You could get a whole villa, with 4 bedrooms and its own pool, and still do all the parks...

I really want to stay at OKW though...

We thought about buying for 21 days (to cover our 17 day stay) but in the end opted for the 14 day tickets. We activated our Disney tickets straight away and planned to leave Universal for a few days so that their ticket (valid for 14 days) would overlap and we could go there when our Disney tickets had expired.

As it was we never went back to Universal and we were quite happy winding down at CSR, and shopping at DTD and the malls for the last few days of our holiday :)

Sounds sensible. I think I will start looking into this option :)

That's a great price for August! Who did you book with?

We booked with Travel City Direct as a package, about a week ago. I know you can sometimes get it cheaper if you book everything separately, but with a party of 5, up front airfares of £3000 was impossible!

I think there's currently an offer on against OKW, but I think it ends on the 5th of November (someone could probably give the offer details!). The price we're paying includes car hire, but she said we could save about £280 if we decided not to include this with our package.

Our villa for week 3 is called Oristavilla (www.oristavilla.com) and we booked directly with Paul, the owner - it was about £450 with a deposit of £100.

If you decide to book with Virgin/TCD, make sure you sign up for Virgin Atlantics frequent flyer club as you get a 5% discount off your booking - even if you've only just signed up and never used it!

Just had a quick look on TCD for you (I used my dates for 2014 as I'm not sure when in August 2015 you'd want to go!) and for 14 nights at OKW towards the middle to end of August, four adults and one child under 12, with park tickets, 2-bed villa, airfare, dining plan (if this is offered when you come to book!) and car hire... the price was £8745.76. If you signed up to the frequent flyer scheme and got a 5% discount off this, it would be £8308.47.

So... that would leave you money for another week in a villa from which you can do other things, some other park tickets, insurance etc...and you'd have change from £10k!

Hope that helps!

xxx

Another thought for you (I know, more options, sorry).

If you are really set on staying at OKW (And I can understand that, I'm a OKW junkie myself) but want to save money then maybe you could rent DVC points from someone.

Also, assuming you'll be paying for the DDP and it's not free dining (oh, and that is the standard one not QS DDP) then have you done the maths? In a fair few cases it isn't actually a good deal.

What you could do is have one person in your party buy an annual pass (If you are considering the 21 day UK passes then the price isn't too far off, though it would be more expensive) then you could get AP room discounts and buy the TiWc which gives you 20% off of TS meals.

So a fair few other options for you...

We always like to try and factor in a stay at one of the Universal hotels. usually for two nights which gives us 3 days for the parks. With the popularity of Harry Potter the front of the line perk is worth its weight in gold ! Just keep loooking through all the hotel booking sites, - late rooms, trivago etc.. You can pick up some good deals on room only stays.

Tony

We booked with Travel City Direct as a package, about a week ago. I know you can sometimes get it cheaper if you book everything separately, but with a party of 5, up front airfares of £3000 was impossible!

I think there's currently an offer on against OKW, but I think it ends on the 5th of November (someone could probably give the offer details!). The price we're paying includes car hire, but she said we could save about £280 if we decided not to include this with our package.

Our villa for week 3 is called Oristavilla (www.oristavilla.com) and we booked directly with Paul, the owner - it was about £450 with a deposit of £100.

If you decide to book with Virgin/TCD, make sure you sign up for Virgin Atlantics frequent flyer club as you get a 5% discount off your booking - even if you've only just signed up and never used it!

Just had a quick look on TCD for you (I used my dates for 2014 as I'm not sure when in August 2015 you'd want to go!) and for 14 nights at OKW towards the middle to end of August, four adults and one child under 12, with park tickets, 2-bed villa, airfare, dining plan (if this is offered when you come to book!) and car hire... the price was £8745.76. If you signed up to the frequent flyer scheme and got a 5% discount off this, it would be £8308.47.

So... that would leave you money for another week in a villa from which you can do other things, some other park tickets, insurance etc...and you'd have change from £10k!

Hope that helps!

xxx

I'm off to play with some prices on TCD!

Another thought for you (I know, more options, sorry).

If you are really set on staying at OKW (And I can understand that, I'm a OKW junkie myself) but want to save money then maybe you could rent DVC points from someone.

Also, assuming you'll be paying for the DDP and it's not free dining (oh, and that is the standard one not QS DDP) then have you done the maths? In a fair few cases it isn't actually a good deal.

What you could do is have one person in your party buy an annual pass (If you are considering the 21 day UK passes then the price isn't too far off, though it would be more expensive) then you could get AP room discounts and buy the TiWc which gives you 20% off of TS meals.

So a fair few other options for you...

I will certainly look into it :)

We always like to try and factor in a stay at one of the Universal hotels. usually for two nights which gives us 3 days for the parks. With the popularity of Harry Potter the front of the line perk is worth its weight in gold ! Just keep loooking through all the hotel booking sites, - late rooms, trivago etc.. You can pick up some good deals on room only stays.

Tony

I would like to experience Universal, but I'm expecting to like it a lot less than Disney ;)

Hope that helps!

xxx

I couldn't get any where near this price - a 2 bed villa was nearer to 12k. Perhaps the discounts have ended.:confused3

I couldn't get any where near this price - a 2 bed villa was nearer to 12k. Perhaps the discounts have ended.:confused3

How strange. I just tried it now, and it's coming up at £8745.... If I could post photos from a phone I would!

Xx

How strange. I just tried it now, and it's coming up at £8745.... If I could post photos from a phone I would!

Xx

When you go to the next page it re-calculates the price.:confused3 If I could get it for that price, that would be amazing.:goodvibes

When you go to the next page it re-calculates the price.:confused3 If I could get it for that price, that would be amazing.:goodvibes

How strange! What dates are you trying? I'm using our dates of 14 nights from the 22nd of August 2014... I've just gone through as far as the payment page, and it's still quoting:

Full holiday price £ 8,903.24
Flights & hotel Included
Car hire Included
All taxes & charges Included
ATOL Levy Included
Disney's 14 for 7 Ultimate Ticket Included

Car Hire
(4 Door) Included
Online discount - £125.00

Your total price £8,778.24

Your Accommodation
Disney Old Key West Resort
Check in 22 Aug 2014
Check out 05 Sep 2014
Board basis Disney Dining Plan
Room1 1 x 2 Bedroom Villa

Your Flights
Outbound
From London Gatwick Apt (LGW) To Orlando International Apt (MCO) Departure time 11:15, Fri 22 Aug 2014 Arrival time 15:25, Fri 22 Aug 2014 Class ECONOMY Airline

Inbound
From Orlando International Apt (MCO) To London Gatwick Apt (LGW) Departure time 18:15, Fri 05 Sep 2014 Arrival time 07:25, Sat 06 Sep 2014 Class ECONOMY Airline

Your Car Hire
1 x Chevrolet Impala or similar 4 door Full Size Pick Up: Orlando Airport
22 Aug 2014 Drop Off: Orlando Airport
05 Sep 2014

Tickets & Attractions
Activity Disney's 14 for 7 Ultimate Ticket Date 22 Aug 2014

Maybe I'm doing something wrong! xxx

I would like to experience Universal, but I'm expecting to like it a lot less than Disney ;)

I first went at 12 years old and have always loved Universal more than Disney - in fact, it's usually all we bother doing!

If you have your heart set on OKW then go for it - but you will get a LOT more for your money offsite (accommodation and food!) and a lot more space than OKW (which, with 3 children and teens, would be handy!).

:goodvibes
How strange! What dates are you trying? I'm using our dates of 14 nights from the 22nd of August 2014... I've just gone through as far as the payment page, and it's still quoting:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong! xxx

It's the dates! I'm a teacher so will need to be back when term starts in September :(

I first went at 12 years old and have always loved Universal more than Disney - in fact, it's usually all we bother doing!

If you have your heart set on OKW then go for it - but you will get a LOT more for your money offsite (accommodation and food!) and a lot more space than OKW (which, with 3 children and teens, would be handy!).

I know, the space of a villa is tempting but I liked being inside the Disney bubble.

:goodvibes

It's the dates! I'm a teacher so will need to be back when term starts in September :(

Ah! That may be why! I'm sorry :(

I'm not looking forward to starting my teacher training and being bound by expensive summer holidays! Boooo!

x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter