How much should each family pay the baby sitter?

How in the blazes do you account for common costs?

Let's again say two families. Family one is using 3 bedrooms (parents and two kids bedrooms, total of 5 people). Family two is using two bedrooms (parents and one kids bedroom, total of 3 people). So there are eight people in the Villa using 5 bedrooms.

Let's say for the week, the rental cost is $1000. For me, it's simple, 1000/8 = 125pp. Family one pays $625 (125*5), Family two pays $375 (125*3).

The villa, in addition to the bedrooms has the following:
* Living room
* Kitchen
* Eating Area
* Game room
* Private Pool

So, how do you split the cost? Do the age of the kids make a difference? A baby won't use the game room, but might make more of a mess.

I'd probably suggest splitting it $600/$400. If there are 5 rooms, pay $200 per room used. Or another way to look at it if I were to go on cost per person, I'd charge kids less as in that kind of scenario, I'm assuming the kids would have much smaller rooms. $150/adult, $100/kid. Family with 3 kids again pays $600, family with 1 kid pays $400.

If it were a standard 2 bedroom Villa at Disney with a couple staying in the king and a family with 2 kids in the 2 queens (not the living room), I'd think they should pay the same. A little more if the kids were to sleep in the living room.

There's a third option (which we often do) - give the server a credit card per couple and have them split it evenly on each card. That way, you do separate tips as well.

But that's really just the same scenario of splitting a $100 check for two couples into each paying $50 plus tip, even if couple 1's bill is really only $30 and couple 2's is $70.

I'd probably suggest splitting it $600/$400. If there are 5 rooms, pay $200 per room used. Or another way to look at it if I were to go on cost per person, I'd charge kids less as in that kind of scenario, I'm assuming the kids would have much smaller rooms. $150/adult, $100/kid. Family with 3 kids again pays $600, family with 1 kid pays $400.

If it were a standard 2 bedroom Villa at Disney with a couple staying in the king and a family with 2 kids in the 2 queens (not the living room), I'd think they should pay the same. A little more if the kids were to sleep in the living room.
I can get behind both of those. My only disagreement is kids in "much smaller rooms". Maybe, maybe not.

I can get behind both of those. My only disagreement is kids in "much smaller rooms". Maybe, maybe not.

Fair enough. I was looking at from the idea of renting a house in Orlando where there's oftentimes 2 Masters and a couple of smaller kids rooms, but of course that isn't always the case.

But that's really just the same scenario of splitting a $100 check for two couples into each paying $50 plus tip, even if couple 1's bill is really only $30 and couple 2's is $70.

That's exactly what it is - but it wasn't one of the options you presented (e.g. either one person picks up the check or everyone does separate checks).

I'm not feeling any love for the "fixed costs" rationale. I get what it's about when it comes to utilities such as the water bill. You have elected to hook up to your city public water system. You go away for the month and don't use any water; however, you will likely get a bill for not turning your water off completely and leaving it the service itself on. In that regard, you will pay the flat fee to contribute to the maintenance of the water system itself.

Babysitting and hair cuts don't work that way.

Certainly, there is a minimum cost to the babysitter on what she deems is "worth it" for her to come to your house. It's just a flat rate for her time to do a "standard service." This particular babysitter believes that babysitting 1-2 children for one hour requires $12 to appropriately compensate her. She doesn't see much difference between 1-2 kids. But start adding on and the babysitter believes her level of effort and care goes up by $5.00 per hour per child.

This aren't fixed costs. Fixed costs are things you pay into to maintain the common good for something whether you use it or not.

The 2-child family was going to pay $12 no matter what the situation. The 1-child family was going to pay either $12 (if they went on their own) or $7.50 to split halfway, or $5.00 on a per kid basis.

How I would answer that all depends on how the scenario went down.

For instance, let's say the 1-child family had grandma or another friend nearby that their only child could go to that night (for free). But the 2-child family says "hey, since we are going out together, why don't you have only child just hang with our kids and will just add them on to our babysitter." In that case, I think that the 1-child family, who had other options, might just want to chip in the $5.00 add on fee that the 2-child family was already paying.

If it was a group decision to go out as a unit to get this babysitter and the 1-child family had no other options, I think they should have done 50/50 in the spirit of everyone getting a bargain.

How old are the kids?
If they are all the same age I say couple #1 pays $10, and couple #2 pays $5.
However if couple #2 has an infant or a toddler in diapers or who is potty training, and couple #1 has older kids, a 50/50 split isn't unfair IMO.

I feel completely the opposite. I find babies much easier to watch than older kids.

Granted, I am not the most social person in the world, but when we go out with others, we generally go out with people that have similar dining tastes and habits. For example, we really don't go out with people who don't drink and in the long run the different in food costs in generally minimal. We would order an appetizer or two and all share, etc.

I have never been at a meal where someone has a martini, an appetizer, prime rib entree, dessert and wine with dinner and the other person orders a side salad with tap water.

***I am discussing social settings here.

This is what I'd actually do:
If I had the 2 kids I would offer to pay 2/3. If I had the 1 kid I’d offer 50/50. I do not like to argue about money.

...and for the same reason.

But the math major in me does especially like this one:
Family 1 & 2 split the cost of 2 children (so $6 each), then Family 1 pays the cost of the third child ($3).

$9 from the 2-kid family and $6 from the 1.

Why wasn't this decided BEFORE the evening? The babysitter's rates were known, right? I think the problem arose because there wasn't a clear understanding. I can see how it would happen. The first couple says hey, why don't you bring Susie Q by here....our regular sitter only charges $3 an hour extra for one more kid. So, couple two thinks: hey $3 is a good deal. And couple one thinks they have agreed to split it. All could have been avoided if couple one had said "Hey...want to split the costs of a sitter? Your share would be $7.50 per hour." Couple two could have decided whether to accept the offer or not, or decided that if that was the cost, they'd rather have their own sitter in their own home. See how being clear can save heartache later?

Granted, I am not the most social person in the world, but when we go out with others, we generally go out with people that have similar dining tastes and habits. For example, we really don't go out with people who don't drink and in the long run the different in food costs in generally minimal. We would order an appetizer or two and all share, etc.

I have never been at a meal where someone has a martini, an appetizer, prime rib entree, dessert and wine with dinner and the other person orders a side salad with tap water.

***I am discussing social settings here.

I know what you mean but I've actually seen more evidence of this happen at work lunches. You get about 8 of you going out for a group lunch where you think people are just going to order a quick sandwich platter or something. You'll generally get a few that order a bowl of soup and some water and then those who want to get some sort of appetizer (chips and guac), a high priced lunch entree, maybe a shake after lunch and some might order a beer. Then they get the bright idea to split the check.

If I am close enough with someone to share a babysitter, a meal or a vacation rental , I can’t imagine nickel
And diming over the bill.
We would just split 50/50

When dining with another couple that we go out with frequently someone will often pay the entire bill and the other leave the tip. Next time it reverses. We don’t keep a tally!

As for other splits (houses, restaurant bills, etc), we've never had a problem. Houses the amount is always decided in advance...and worked out by adults acting like adults. Never had an issue. If there was one, I'd probably not go with those people....LOL. As for restaurants, my group of friends seems to handle it quite naturally. If there is a discrepancy in what people order (more drinks, more expensive food), people say "let's do separate checks" No one takes offense. If it's roughly the same, we'll just split it. I trust my friend group to be adequate or better tippers. Geez. I never knew people could get so twisted about simple stuff. And, WORK IT OUT in advance. Avoids the problem entirely.

I know what you mean but I've actually seen more evidence of this happen at work lunches. You get about 8 of you going out for a group lunch where you think people are just going to order a quick sandwich platter or something. You'll generally get a few that order a bowl of soup and some water and then those who want to get some sort of appetizer (chips and guac), a high priced lunch entree, maybe a shake after lunch and some might order a beer. Then they get the bright idea to split the check.

So, you don't go with them anymore. OR you go to a place with counter service. LOL

I wonder if this is generational, because I have never once been in a situation where it was expected that a check be split evenly if the amount wasn't close to an even split. And I don't think I know anyone who would find that acceptable, either!

I wonder if this is generational, because I have never once been in a situation where it was expected that a check be split evenly if the amount wasn't close to an even split. And I don't think I know anyone who would find that acceptable, either!

It might be. This used to happen ALL THE TIME when I was in my late 20s/early 30s and going out for work lunches (we were all very social and kind of living paycheck to paycheck then). Now, I go out with a bunch of old fogies and we are counting our pennies and splitting the bill so expertly it's funny.

If I was the sitter I would charge $12 per hour to each couple. The couple #1 shouldn’t expect other people to pay half of the care received for 2 child as much as couple #2 shouldn’t expect to only pay $3 per hour. The right thing was to divide the total between the number of kids, $5 per kid. I agree with the poster who said these people have bigger issues when they are fighting over this.

I agree with you - that is why I had the comment about social settings. I meant non work, out for fun with friends kind of settings. At work, unless I am running it through and expense account or personally paying for another, I always split. I am talking about out and about with a girlfriend or meeting another couple.

$15.00 per hour, for 3 children...
$5.00 per hour per kid.
OR 50/50 if agreed upon beforehand.

The idea of only paying the $3.00 hour is, well... I was going to list the personality traits, but will refrain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter