How many second hand items do you have in your home?

Lots. We live in a Victorian house that was redone down to the studs right before we moved in. And our decor honors the house. We have a mix of family heirlooms, vintage pieces purchased at estate sales or secondhand stores, and new pieces that are reminiscent of the Victorian style...along with a few more modern things to keep it feeling fresh.

Oooooooo so much! I have inherited many special things from both sides of the family, gifted some other things from Stepdad family. AND I am a THRIFT~OR!!!! I don't bring in anything that is upholstered but I do love a found treasure. Anything from furniture to dishes (I got rid of all my everyday dishes and only use good china, if it breaks no big) to holiday decorations to porch furniture, room decor, garden decor, lamps .... Most is used, a lot is brand new still in box. I recycle and repurpose. And of course most my stuff is new.

Some things I have to mark on the back that they are thrifted because when the day comes I don't want anyone confused as to whether some items are family things or just adopted by me. These are two adopted photos I just love ~ no way I was leaving these abandoned folks behind. They are now adopted. Rose is a lovely lady, and boy does this wedding group have a funny story as to why the MIL is in the bridal party photo. 😂 I have a sitting room (kids' call it the family room) that is walls full of old family portraits as old as 1860 so didn't want these confused with them. These are not in the "family room".

316871853_3459059117663545_1133681778105700371_n.jpg316746866_633022095229153_1258393364607054528_n.jpg

HopperFan, I LOVE those photos so much!!
I'm always looking for good old frames for my old relatives so that is how I found these two.

When I first saw Rose I think I squealed. After that I got on facebook and saw there are old photo groups, people who adopt antique/vintage photos that have been abandoned by their family. I don't want the bulk ones you can buy in antique stores or online, but that random lost soul at Goodwill, a thrift store or estate sales where most are buying for the frames. My first goal is open frame to find their family. Rose had nothing. The wedding I traced the photo studio (long gone) and had an archivist in the town do a small search. No luck so I reframed (original was very old and beat up) and hung them in the foyer.

AND one of my hunts I saw a beautiful frame peeking out, pulled it and inside was this ⬇️ WOW, I brought her home and hung her in foyer. Took DH a day or two to notice her with vibrant language. I said I wanted to put in the powder room since the colors were perfect and he said "no I don't want her watching me, put her with the rest of the family portraits" ........... I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic BUT he said it so there she hangs. I named her Millicent, Milly for short. She is an original oil painting, there were several very large ones riding horse etc but I liked her best. Another lady bought all the others.

316892359_1085092475506722_2809860669181679815_n.jpg

We call them antiques lol....
a lot, my father and then myself have a bit of the collecting bug... antique poison bottles (cobalt especially)... furniture... washboards... all sorts of stuff from many many auctions and flea markets, I think we have more 'used' than new.

We have a lot! I love repurposing things and have picked up a lot of interesting pieces over the years, plus we have a lot from family, too. I don’t like cookie cutter as much.

Depends on how you define 2nd hand.

Family items - I have some of my Mama's table cloths, some of her dishes, jewelry from various women in family (Mama, both grandmothers, great grandmother, great aunt) Granny's chifferobe that she cut the feet off of so no one in the family wanted it but works in our hot tub room, one of her quilts she made and a shawl she made. No other family furniture.

No bought 2nd hand things except an old purse I bought for a Halloween costume.

The piano was from my parents home
A dining hutch from my beloved late aunt
an end table from my parents home
a drop down table that was left in an apt. we rented
A small bookcase ( waist high)
The common factor: they are all solid wood pieces that I wouldn't pay for today

Well, if we are counting family things, my house itself is second hand as well as a lot of the belongings, as I inherited it from my parents when they passed.

However, there are some non family items too. For example, the sofa in my living room. I have a family member who works in a hotel. The hotel had just been refurbished with all new furniture when a tropical storm came through and destroyed most of it. The hotel owners decided to go with a different look, so they sold any furniture that wasn’t damaged to employees at a huge discount. I was able to get a like new, heavy duty, commercial sofa bed for $50. It may outlast me!

I think 3.

A microwave cart.

A set of dishes.

A set of silverware/flatware.

Want to get rid of it all and buy my own stuff but everyone says I need to save it for my girls. I only have 900ish square foot, I can't have extra stuff like this saved.

I don't refer to them as second hand.

I have many pieces from my family including 2 1930's radio cabinets converted to a bar and sheet music cabinet by my grandfather, a Steinway (between Baby and Full) grand piano and many others. I love antiques and that is the majority of my furnishings! I love the history of things. Set , me loose in an antique mall...

we have quite a few things actually... some of the furniture was left here by the previous owner. Some of that stuff was huge and they didn't want to move it, and it was like yea fine we can use it. We don't have any serious heirlooms though.

We have a lot of second hand things, tons of great toys from the local flea market, beautiful side board we found on ebay, small wooden table in the living room and those are only first things which come to my mind. Besides that i checked this site with the aliexpress reviews and started to order a lot of things from them as well.

Last edited:
Another vote for to many to count.

Not only do I have family heirlooms, but I also have some items from thrift stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter