How many second hand items do you have in your home?

Not sure if family pass me downs count, but the table my father in law made many years ago and a table my parents passed to us. Otherwise, none.

Too many to count. Lots of heirloom furniture, art, vases, silk scarves, jewelry, kitchen-y stuff, etc. passed down from both my family and DH's family.

Highlights:
cedar chest from my great grandmother
wardrobe built by my grandfather
a set of silver from DH's great aunt
my grandmother's jewelry box
coffee table and side tables built by DH's father

I often buy furniture this way and have a number of pieces in my house. Why, well it is the only way to get good solid wood furniture any more for a reasonable price. Yes, we have many Amish furniture makers here (PA) and they make beautiful stuff, but it is very expensive. I can go over to the second hand shop and pick up a piece of handmade or well made sold wood furniture for less than a 10th of what something new may cost.

Many items, I love to have pieces with their own history. Plus my tastes are the opposite of modern. I love to spend time in antique stores searching thru the junk to find the diamonds.

I'd say about half of our furniture and most of our decorations are second hand. We love the thrill of the hunt and like a mix of styles, colors, and textures to decorate our house. Love estate sales, garage sales, thrift shops. We can afford items of much higher quality by buying second hand.

I have my Mothers wedding ring
I have my great grandmothers cedar chest
I have my great grandmother's mother of pearl cannister set
We have a roll top desk that belonged to my husbands parents

Probably more , but that's all I can think of off the top of my head

Too many to count. The biggest items: bedroom set bought on an estate sale; hutch bought on a yard sale; dining room table/chairs bought off facebook marketplace; a fish tank handed down from DH's brother; bookshelf and dresser handed down from DH's brother; antigue bookcase bought off facebook marketplace; drop leaf table bought from an antique store; footstool bought from an antique store. Oh, and three end tables I bought out of a barn from a retired re-seller who was closing his business.
I also have some small items like my milkglass bedside lamps, a wood two-tier candy dish, an antique carpenters toolbox that I filled with flowers. Most of these were bought from antique stores.
I find that older items are better constructed and longer lasting. They also suit my century old farmhouse.

Last edited:
Lots. Almost all inherited.

Family room: Mantel clock. Coffee Table, 2 end tables. Painting on the wall.

Living room: Couch. 2 recliners. Coffee Table, 2 end tables. Marble top table. Secretary. TV. TV stand. Painting on the wall. Piano

Guest bedroom: Headboard/ bed frame with Matching dresser. Storage chest. Hand crank Amberola X Phonograph Cylinder Record player.
Wall decoration.

Small front bedroom: Clock. Wall decoration.

Garage: 1965 Ford Mustang

Lots here. We have a commercial building that we lease to an antique mall. I browse through there regularly. All kinds of treasures to be found.

Just about nothing. The only things I can think of is in my family room I have a coffee table and two end tables that were my mother in laws. Oh and my daughter has a dresser in her bedroom that came from my brother.

I still have almost everything my parents owned. I really need to overcome whatever it is that won't allow me to get rid of it. It's not doing me any good because I don't use any of it. I tried to gift some of the items to members of my old community but they were not allowed to take gifts from me because I was no longer a member. I'll probably have it all when I pass and whoever takes care of my things then will be more able to get rid of it all.

Most of our furniture has come from family members who have passed away. One great aunt's estate furnished our entire dining room. I think we bought our own mattress and bedframe. Couch is from hubby's late grandmother (best napping couch ever!) big oak chair was my dad's, coffee table was from when I was a little kid, and the little end tables all over the house are from when my grandfather was building manager of MIT, or from the business my dad worked for that closed down. Oh wait - the futon couch upstairs is a purchase we made 20 years ago. So, a bed and a couch, and the tv stand are purchases. The rest was hand-me-downs.

I do have some from family, but I don't really count that.

I only have one remaining second hand piece that is not from family - an antique music cupboard. I love it but it took me years to get the smell out of it. The old owners stored their fish food in it! (And, yes, I bought it at their garage sale anyway. It was probably five years before I was willing to bring it upstairs next to the piano to put music in it. It sat in our storage area with charcoal in it.)

When I was first starting out I had lots of used furniture, but most of the utilitarian stuff that I got cheaply at garage sales etc. is loooong gone.

Ignoring food and other consumable goods, pretty much everything. I did buy the sofa/loveseat new, but the recliner and desk were family hand-me-downs. The table came from Goodwill; the china cabinet was my grandmother's. The grandfather clock was bought second-hand from the clock shop. Most of our clothes come from Plato's Closet or eBay. Electronics we buy new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter