How many of you buy items on clearance from DS and resell on Ebay?

Caitsmama

<font color=darkorchid>Closet Hannah Montana Fan!<
Just wondering how many of you buy items on clearance or sale from the Disney Store and then have success selling on Ebay? I saw lots of cute things for clearance at my Disney Store, but was nervous to buy them, since i didn't know if i would be able to resell and make money off them. But, i guess you could return them if they don't sell right?
Just curious how many of you do this.. :confused3

I am wanting to find my nitch on ebay, for some extra cash, but have no idea where to begin, other than clearing out junk from my house.

I have on rare occasion. Generally the clearance prices aren't good enough that I'm happy with the profit margin. Just because something is 85% off the full Disney Store retail value doesn't mean that its resale value on eBay is going to be that great.

Some items I've purchase for resale in the past include Pooh kitchen canister sets (paid $6.50 each and expected to sell them for $35 plus s/h...I only got about $35 each INCLUDING shipping) and Goofy themed tiffany-style lamps (paid $30 each and eBay value was around $150, but I was only able to get 3 of them because they went OOS).

If you're looking for a nitch, Disney isn't really the best area because competition is intense. The best nitches are the ones in which you have a unique product with very few competitive sellers.

I did when our DS went out of business. Everything was 75% and more off. To tell you the truth it wasn't really worth it. A lot of the outfits I got did not sell and I ended up selling them at my Garage Sale. I was out the listing fees but got back what mostly what I paid. I bought cookie jars as well and still have them!

Thanks! I did notice how saturated the market for some of this stuff is on ebay.. Also, kinda another topic, but it bugs me, when a popular playset comes out on disney shopping, and then is "out of stock" very quickly, but you can always find them for twice as much on ebay. That bugs me, because it probably means people are buying them up from the disney site, then making a killing selling them for twice,, especially around the holidays.
There was one time i wanted a JoJo playset for my dd, and they were sold out online, rather quickly, but they had tons of them for like 22.00 on ebay.. There is no way i was paying that, when i had seen them for 12.00 or something from Disney, So, i waited til we went to WDW and go one there for less. LOL

Caitsmama said:
Thanks! I did notice how saturated the market for some of this stuff is on ebay.. Also, kinda another topic, but it bugs me, when a popular playset comes out on disney shopping, and then is "out of stock" very quickly, but you can always find them for twice as much on ebay. That bugs me, because it probably means people are buying them up from the disney site, then making a killing selling them for twice,, especially around the holidays.

Why would this bug you? Popular items are released in limited supply because history has shown that it makes the item even MORE popular and sought after.

You have the option of stalking the websites/stores to buy the items once they come into stock just like the eBayers do. eBayers don't get special treatment from the DS. You have the same opportunity to buy the item as they did. They also have every right to sell the item for any price that the market will bear.

It bugs me because I think it kinda ruins it for everyone. If something is on clearance, i guess i can see it.. AS it has obviously been around a while,and they have quantities to get rid of..
However, to see brand new release items, sold out so quickly, and then see a ton of them on ebay just gets to me, Personally. Especially around the holiday season.. maybe it's just my morals.. It's just sad, that some kid might not get what they would want because some people buy a ton of them, and resell them on ebay for 2-3 times as much as the msrp. As a working mom, i might not have the time to stalk a website or store waiting for an item! lol
Hey, to each his own.. i know some will not see it my way...It's just my opinion.

Caitsmama said:
It bugs me because I think it kinda ruins it for everyone. If something is on clearance, i guess i can see it.. AS it has obviously been around a while,and they have quantities to get rid of..
However, to see brand new release items, sold out so quickly, and then see a ton of them on ebay just gets to me, Personally. Especially around the holiday season.. maybe it's just my morals.. It's just sad, that some kid might not get what they would want because some people buy a ton of them, and resell them on ebay for 2-3 times as much as the msrp. As a working mom, i might not have the time to stalk a website or store waiting for an item! lol
Hey, to each his own.. i know some will not see it my way...It's just my opinion.

I definitely don't see it your way and it's not just because I'm an eBayer. Early bird catches the worm...if you really want it, you'll get out there fast and get it just like everyone else who really wants it. Otherwise, you can either pay more for it or wait 2 months until the frenzy dies down.

Thats fine. I understand where you are coming from too (as i am an ebayer too!) Just wanted to voice my opinion as a mom.I guess if i know it was sold out to a crazy bunch of moms buying for their kids, it wouldn't bother me as much as if it were sold out to a bunch of adults - looking to buy up all the stock and resell for higher money. Again, just personal thoughts. And i think it also may hurt some ebayers.. I know there are others like me who will NOT buy from an ebayer who is selling it for a crazy amount..I would just assume wait til they go back down. But, i would purposely avoid sellers who seem to have lots of "in demand" items for a extremely high price. Just as i avoid sellers who charge crazy shipping amt.s.

Ok, getting off topic here.. sorry!! Again, no disrespect. Just trying to see all angles.
So, I guess the key to success on ebay is to find what your nitch is- Do you sell all one type of item(s) or do you sell varied inventory?

I understand both points of view.

Same thing happens with concert/event tickets.

I bought tickets to three different performances of the Disney Princesses on Ice show only intending to go to one... but the pre-sale was so far in advance, I had no idea what our schedule was going to be, so figured I'd better have options.
Once our schedule was set I sold the extra tickets on e-bay.

I could have set a buy it now price at what I paid, but when I saw what tickets were going for, it was just too tempting and I ran them as auctions.
I can see why people do it since you can make a ton of money - but I also get that there would be more availabilty for the folks who actually want to attend the event if there were not so many scalpers.

I don't think I could do it on a regular basis, I'd feel too guilty. Sheesh I even went out and bought cute little princess purses and goodies to put in them along with the tickets because I felt bad that folks were paying so much. (and they were great seats)

cats mom said:
I don't think I could do it on a regular basis, I'd feel too guilty. Sheesh I even went out and bought cute little princess purses and goodies to put in them along with the tickets because I felt bad that folks were paying so much. (and they were great seats)

aww that was sweet of you :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter