How many DVC'ers would never go in July or August??

edk35

DIS Veteran
This will be our first DVC visit in Aug. At first I was so excited to be a member and plan our first trip I didn't care when we went. Then a few weeks later reality set in and I realized WHEW THAT IS GOING TO BE HOT. BUT....since then I have had an open mind, read a lot on the Dis boards about Aug. trips and then I started thinking tonight..... hmmmm Of the people that say THEY WOULD NEVER GO IN AUG...how many of those people are actual DVC members. I would think that staying in a DVC resort with much nicer accomodations and a lot more SPACE....would make for an alright vacation even if it feels like 100 outside. I mean....last Aug. we rented a 3 bedroom condo on the Gulf at Ft. Walton...and WE LOVED IT. So why not LOVE WDW IN AUGUST now that we are able to stay in plush accomodations. I think I have balanced our trip to include time at the resort, sleeping in when we do an evening park...and basically only doing 1/2 day parks with plenty of POOL TIME. We are even trying the water parks for the first time. SO WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS??? Thanks

have done wdw in both july and august, prefer july, but love the tropical weather. love it. love wdw. we go in feb too and it is too chilly for me. florida is supposed to be hot

We have owned DVC since inception and have always gone in either July or August. We started out going in August due to my husband being a teacher and teaching summer school so only had off last two weeks in August. By then the southern schools were back in session and the crowds were not there. It is HOT but we go to the park very early in the morning, go back to the resort by 12-1pm and then to the pool for the heat of hte day and it refreshs us, and then back to the parks at @4 or 5pm till closing!!!!

Now that we have to buy entrance tickets we buy the annual pass and try to do at least two trips in a year. One year we got in 4 trips in 1 annual pass~~~What a deal and now with the DVC discount is even a better deal!~!:cool1:

We almost always go in August, but this year we went in July and never will again. The crowds were higher and there were a lot of tour groups. We're already planning our trip for next August.

It is hot in August, byt we use a similar daily itinerary to bakmmo's - early to the parks, back to the room after lunch for a swim (or just relax in the room depending on those afternoon thunderstorms), then back out for dinner and evening fireworks.

Since we became DVC members 10 yrs ago, we've gone to wdw during July and August many times and love it! We have gone at other times when the weather is cooler and to be honest, it doesn't feel like we're in Florida at those times. We find that the resort pools are more enjoyable during the summer months and what BEAUTIFUL pools to enjoy!
Take breaks away from the parks during the day, drink plenty of water and most of all - HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!

I am so happy to hear this. I am looking forward to going. Our kids start school the last week of Aug. and most of the summer activities have ended by early Aug. so I think that Aug. might be a good time for us. I want to try and go the third week of Aug....since maybe some of the summer crowds have died down. We are trying to get this trip, Nov trip, possible short trip the end of Jan. (love my Jan. trips) and maybe a few days next Aug. out of our AP's we are using this trip. We will use them 7 days in Aug. and 8 days in Nov and then if we go in Jan. that would be 4 days. This is our first time using AP's too.

Sounds like you have some awesome trips coming up and you're going to make great use out of those AP's. That's the way to do it!!!
Have alot of fun and enjoy the planning also!

We were just there last week and it was pretty hot and crowded. I'm a teacher so the summer is one of the times we can visit WDW. It sounds like August is a less busy time, so that might be a nice alternative month to go!

I'm always hot.....thought I would NEVER go in the summer....

Well....I'm going this aug....

with free dining.....and some points burning a hole in my pocket.....
Off I go....I was very excited to get 3 nights at
BCV.....I always wanted to try that pool......
In aug we probably wont get out:lmao:

I figured worse case scenerio.....I sleep in.....go to pool....
go to dinner.....see fireworks at night.....
Sounds pretty awesome actually....
Stay cool
Kerri

I would never, ever think of going to WDW in July or August--or even June for that matter.

I have gone every time of the year (except March). The only time I would want to avoid is July. I can take the weather, but found the crowds in July more than I can stand. The tour groups are the absolute worse. I guess if I went in July and avoid the parks and stayed only at the resort to relax that would work for us. We are going mid-August, but it's only one of 5 trips this year. I would never choose Aug/Sep if I only went once a year. Late April/early May and late October have to be my favorite times to go. Great weather, lower crowds.

This will be our 2nd August trip. We love the hot sultry nights the best. My kids (21 and 23) made me promise I would let them sleep in this trip. It's so easy to pack for August. And it does seem to be less crowded than July.

Personally I would never choose to go in July or Aug. But if the opportunity came up I would not pass it by.

We just bought into DVC this JUly while down there. We always go in July or August anyway so that won't change. We like July mostly due to the long park hours and the heat doesn't really bother us. Being in SC, we deal with the same heat and humidity that we would in Florida, so either deal with it at home or at WDW. I choose WDW. Just plan on early mornings and late afternoons for the parks and the pool or room midday and you will be fine.

We've had 2 very different August vacations, so really it depends on the year and our guests. Last year the weather was miserable, very very hot, and a heat index over 100, the year before it was "doable" at WDW but we were in VB when Katrina was threatening Miami and we had quite heavy rains, of course it was sunny and wonderful the day we left for home. It was the second half of August both times.

We would go again, no doubt, but it will be in the future, we need time to forget some things.

Bobbi:goodvibes

It's too HOT for us!!

We are from western/upstate NY and our summers are so sweet that we hate to leave the region and wouldn't think of Florida Moderated by the great lakes it only goes above 90 on a hand full of days.

We choose to come during school breaks (mostly Feb) to get out of the gray and snow (also a result of those great lakes) to a much sunnier place in both spirit and climate.

We go every year during the summer (June through early August), and love it! Others have stated the disadvantages, but here are the advantages:

1) L-O-N-G park hours - stay out LATE at the parks!
2) Summer vacations let you REALLY enjoy the fabulous WDW pools and water parks
3) Reasonable crowd levels in early morning and late night (Either get up early, or sleep in and stay late park touring strategies work)
4) Double spectros (and low waits on rides should you choose not to attend) every night!
5) Top attractions less likely to be down for refurbishments

Have fun! :)

We are going in less than 3 weeks!:goodvibes We have gone in both July and August. The time we went in July we were there for the 4th and it was way too crowded and too hot for me. The end of August is not so bad. The Florida residents are back in school so the crowds are less. The weather is hot of course. We go to the parks early, come back and hang out by the pool, then go back to the parks at night. We will also do a water park in the summer. I don't care what time of year it is as long as we're at DISNEY!!:cool1:

There are better times (in terms of weather) to visit WDW but when schedules dictate, July & August can be enjoyable. It's not difficult to stay out of the heat at the parks if you make good use of the air-conditioned queues and rides. And as others have said, parks are open late so visiting early or late is another workable strategy. I agree with n2mm that the crowds are more of a detriment than the heat.

Being teachers, our options are limited, but we usually make our visits during the end of June. We would consider July and August if we needed to, but our favorite time to go is December. :santa:

Plusses to the hot weather, is we really appreciate the pools. They never get touched on our December trips. We also like the longer hours as it encourages us to break up[our days and head back to the room for a midday rest. :cloud9:

facebook twitter