How is Cabanas Dining These Days?

I sailed the Magic in late October and found the breakfast & lunch offerings at Cabanas to be so limited as to not be worth going. I have no dietary restrictions, but want a variety of choices when I go to a buffet. If you're satisfied with bare bones offerings, you'll find Cabanas fine, I suppose. The logistics are fine (hand washing, serving, tables, etc.), it's just the lack of choices that took away the appeal for me. There were no Mickey waffles or fried potatoes in the morning, for example, and no ethnic or highly flavored offerings at lunch at all- they used to always have something interesting at lunch but not in October.

That's weird, I had Mickey Waffles on multiple days and a great biryani at Cabanas just a week and a half ago. Fried potatoes every day. I don't know what you mean by "ethnic" but it would be good to know an example of a food that isn't ethnic.

That's weird, I had Mickey Waffles on multiple days and a great biryani at Cabanas just a week and a half ago. Fried potatoes every day. I don't know what you mean by "ethnic" but it would be good to know an example of a food that isn't ethnic.
I guess they've added the waffles in since October. "Ethnic" was a shorthand for Indian, Asian or other highly seasoned dishes of non USA & non European origin.

I guess they've added the waffles in since October. "Ethnic" was a shorthand for Indian, Asian or other highly seasoned dishes of non USA & non European origin.
Interesting. Had several lunches breakfasts at Cabanas on my 12/26 Fantasy Cruise. Mickey waffles and fried were offered potatoes every day. Dishes that were "of non USA &non European origin" every day at lunch...is lamb kefte, for instance not "ethnic" enough? Sigh.

I found the embarkation lunch to be good- still had favorites like seafood, lamb kebobs. I didn't really notice anything missing. Breakfast seemed lacking though I couldnt really remember what was missing....my daughter missed the doughnuts:)

Had several lunches breakfasts at Cabanas on my 12/26 Fantasy Cruise. Mickey waffles and fried were offered potatoes every day. Dishes that were "of non USA &non European origin" every day at lunch...is lamb kefte, for instance not "ethnic" enough?
Yes, that would be great. As I said, they didn't have anything like that on my October cruise on the Magic. No unique or spicy entrees at lunch, and no Mickey waffles or fried potatoes at breakfast. It was a pretty lame buffet.

They didn't show "Tangled" in the theater during our cruise, which was another glaring omission. They also had the promenade deck loungers tied up so that no one could lounge on that deck. It was a good cruise overall, but definitely lacking in some respects.

Last edited:
Interesting. ........Dishes that were "of non USA &non European origin" every day at lunch...is lamb kefte, for instance not "ethnic" enough? Sigh.
My sister and I just discussed this. We are in Canada of Scottish descent. North America has people from all over the world in addition to British and French etc. I worked in Toronto for 40 years, one of the most diverse population in the world. We love every kind of cooking style! "Ethnic" refers to populations of people with similar culture, a term you certainly cannot really use to refer to Canada or America, I think. Lucky us! When AoA at WDW first opened they had an Indian style food station. I was the only person ever ordering. When they got to know me they used to give me extra large portions at night so the food wouldn't go to waste! Yum.

We avoided Cabanas for the most part (mid Jan on the Dream). We ate breakfast there one morning only because our servers told us they would be there (and we sat in their section) and then we did a semi-lunch there one day, but DS didn't like anything but the rolls and I only wanted shrimp...so we ended up eating out at the pizza/panini shops. I didn't miss it other than being able to eat outside!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter