How important is Alcohol?

It is not necessarily important but yes I do like a drink here and there. I will have a glass of wine with dinner. I will have a beer at a hockey game. I like to celebrate with a drink. I will of course go to an event that does not have alcohol but I will admit I prefer a non dry wedding.

This question (and it's not really a question) has been rattling around in my brain for a while... how important is alcohol to you?

When I'm out at a restaurant (especially a "sports bar" or the like), I almost feel like I SHOULD get a beer or a cocktail. Of course, no one else is making me, and I decline myself MUCH more often than I partake.

And then we go on cruises or to AIs and see how much people are drinking (for cruises "oh, I MORE than get my money's worth out of the drink plan").

Is it because of media/advertising that I feel this way? That I'm sort of "obligated" to have alcohol?

No, I'm not an alcoholic. When I do imbibe, it's generally one cocktail or beer at dinner, and that maybe 20% of the times when I'm at a restaurant.

I don't give a rip about alcohol. Hate the taste of it and when I do drink it, it has to be covered up by some sort of fruity concoction. I feel zero pressure from anybody to drink alcohol. Sometimes a person will try to hassle me about it but I just ignore it because I really don't care anymore what people do or do not think of what I do or do not drink. If the person is being a real butthead and trying to bully me into it, I then tell them about how my best friend from college died from alcoholism and drug addiction and usually the person shuts up about it after that.

If other people want to drink around me? I'm totally cool w/that. But drink just to fit in with others? I don't do that anymore.

Important? Well I guess it is somewhat. While it's not our main occupation, we do farm a product needed for to the production of wine, and we have a fair investment in that. In terms of drinking - well yes, we do that as well! We enjoy a glass or two of wine, a scotch or a vodka club in the evening after work, and drink more on vacation than at home. We are militantly anti driving and drinking for a few reasons, and so if we go out to dinner/function/holiday party one of us always abstains.
Sunday is martini day in our home. It's margarita day at my parents, so it's not unusual for me to ring them up to see what's going on and have a chat during cocktail hour. They have theirs, we have ours.

Sorry I haven't gotten back here. I've read all the posts, just prefer replying on a real keyboard instead of a "virtual" one on a mobile device.

I do want to clarify one thing, I've *NEVER* been pressured by anyone to drink (ok, maybe in college). It's *ME* when I'm at a restaurant feeling "you should have some alcohol". But as others have mentioned, I'm also cheap and refuse more than accept. :D

I’ve never understood the people who drink who don’t want to be around people who don’t or the opposite, people who don’t drink who don’t want to be around people who drink.

I don't mind being around people who drink, but I do dislike beng around people who are drunk. People can get super annoying when drunk, even angry. I'd just rather not be around that. Then again, some people are like that even when not drunk - the same applies.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood the people who drink who don’t want to be around people who don’t or the opposite, people who don’t drink who don’t want to be around people who drink.
I don’t drink and don’t care being around those who are drinking. They talk loud and talk about boring or silly things that to them are funny of interesting. Often times they get very close and keep talking. It’s not enjoyable to me.

Sorry I haven't gotten back here. I've read all the posts, just prefer replying on a real keyboard instead of a "virtual" one on a mobile device.

I do want to clarify one thing, I've *NEVER* been pressured by anyone to drink (ok, maybe in college). It's *ME* when I'm at a restaurant feeling "you should have some alcohol". But as others have mentioned, I'm also cheap and refuse more than accept. :D
You missed the perfect opportunity Sam: “Sorry I haven’t got back here. I was drunk…” 🤣

I don’t drink and don’t care being around those who are drinking. They talk loud and talk about boring or silly things that to them are funny of interesting. Often times they get very close and keep talking. It’s not enjoyable to me.
Sounds like you know some serious drinkers! I put dinner in the oven tonight and DH & I enjoyed a glass of wine while it cooked. No loud talking, just mellow relaxing and conversation.

DH's mom became a problem drinker in her late 80's when she was lonely, he had to move her into assisted living so she couldn't go out and buy scotch. We are well aware of the problem drinking that happens, but not everyone who drinks alcohol is loud and obnoxious.

I grew up hearing stories about my grandfather and the impact his alcoholism had on my dad. My mom's mother was an alcoholic and I have to say watching your grandmother get into a fist fight with her sister after they BOTH had a few too many was enough for me.

I will buy a six pack of Guinness that lasts me pretty much an entire year. A bottle of wine, although my daughter calls it fruit juice with some alcohol in it, lasts me about six months. Now and then I like a cold beer with a hoagie or hot roast beef sandwich, and a glass of wine with an occasional meal. I never drink when out and 1 is my limit at home when I do indulge.

Alcohol is not needed for a lot of people to act that way.

As a recovering alcoholic, it was too important. Now, it lives in my periphery and I see how WAY too much it is important to WAY too many people.

I wish culture didn't embrace it so much. Has its place, but it has the potential to ruin so much.
Where I live a bottle of wine is a very normal gift for adults, without thinking about what they are giving.

One Christmas, at work every employee got a bottle of wine. They had kept in mind colleagues who were muslim, who got a box of chocolates.

I went to the manager and asked her what about people who do not drink, regardless the reason?

For me at the time alcohol was very triggering due to my father. I asked for a box of chocolates instead, but couldn't get one at first, because they only had bought 6 boxes, as we had 6 muslim colleagues.

I was not happy with that response and got vocal about it. In the end I could exchange my bottle of wine for a box of chocolates and I don't think they ever gave a bottle of wine ever again as a gift 😉

While I do not drink, the rest of my family DOES. Every single family gathering is a booze-fest. Christmas, weddings, birthdays (for every age from toddlers to grandparents), christenings, barbeques, days that end in y...Honestly it's made me dread going to them.

The dining plan gives you a choice of non alcoholic drinks already.
You have the option to not drink alcohol but you don't have the option to not pay for the alcohol. You do have the option to have an additional snack in lieu of but maybe some would prefer a $5-$8 a day reduction or maybe they feel a moral objection knowing they are having to pay for alcohol even if not consumed? It does seem like splitting hairs.

You have the option to not drink alcohol but you don't have the option to not pay for the alcohol. You do have the option to have an additional snack in lieu of but maybe some would prefer a $5-$8 a day reduction or maybe they feel a moral objection knowing they are having to pay for alcohol even if not consumed? It does seem like splitting hairs.

• Beverages are included with each meal. Guests under 21 years of age may choose from a variety of nonalcoholic beverages. Guests 21 and older with valid identification may substitute for beer, wine and cocktails.
I don’t think extra snacks enter the equation. The food & beverage controllers went over the numbers with a fine tooth comb.
There is no winning with the dining plans on that level 😉

• Beverages are included with each meal. Guests under 21 years of age may choose from a variety of nonalcoholic beverages. Guests 21 and older with valid identification may substitute for beer, wine and cocktails.
I don’t think extra snacks enter the equation. The food & beverage controllers went over the numbers with a fine tooth comb.
There is no winning with the dining plans on that level 😉
I was going by this page.

https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2023/05/30/new-details-announced-for-the-disney-dining-plan/

It says:
Quick service plan and Standard Dining Plan includes 1 Snack or Nonalcoholic Beverage Per Night of Stay.

Edited to add:
Wow, I read alcoholic beverage per night of stay. Didn't read it correctly until just now.

You are correct there is no way for someone to NOT pay for alcohol. Disney really should offer a slightly discounted non alcoholic package for people who do not want to be forced to pay for alcohol.

Last edited:
This is a big problem with cruise-ship alcohol packages too. Everyone of age in a cabin MUST pay for the package; it can’t be purchased by a single drinker. LOTS of people don’t drink, for whatever reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter