How Hot Was It in August?

I do not live in Florida however, I do live in the deep south and have all my life. I do not let my kids go out in the afternoons to play in August. It's just entirely to hot. It's awful!

We were at the Poly from Aug 12 to Aug 25th. DW is a daycare director so she lets her staff take their vacations in June/July and we go in August. This has been the case forever for our summer vacations. So we are used to the heat and humidity. Being from Chicago, it was actually cooler in Florida than it was at home.

This year was different than we can remember....the afternoon rains came later in the day. Thunder and lightning would start at 2-3pm...then they would close the pool...then the heavy heavy heavy rains started about 3-4pm and lasted till about 5-6pm. (not everyday).

We were amazed that the while there was dangerous weather in the area, that the construction workers were still working atop the GF. We couldnt beleive what we were seeing when sitting on the balcony.

Why would the construction workers still work in dangerous weather like that ?

We were there in August 2011 and it was in the 100's every day one person in our party actually got sick bc of the heat. But crowds were low

How hot is hot? It's as hot as the 7th layer of hell - I was born and raised in west central FL, so take it for whatever it's worth to you! :)

I'm from Maine and I find it nice. We have gone the last 2 years the last weeks of August to get home in time for school to start and still get free dining. I guess it is how hot you think hot is. LOL I think anything around 90-95 is perfect.

Kind of funny how one person's unbearably hot is another person's idea of nice weather. We were at WDW during the second week of August and didn't really notice the heat. Yet it looks like some of the prior posters were there at the same time and thought it was really hot.

A couple of differences for us may have been because we've been to WDW enough times that we didn't feel a need to rush around trying to try to get into every attraction in the parks. We also had our own car so we were able to easily leave the parks in mid afternoon to go back to the resort for a swim and then head back in the evening. We just took it slow, drank plenty of water, and enjoyed the atmosphere at Disney. Honestly, at this point, that's as much a part of the trip to WDW as the attractions.

We were in the World from 8/12-8/20, and had the best August weather we have ever had since doing Aug. trips since 2008.

The days were hot, but not unbearable. Mostly in the mid 90's. We did have some rain, but not like other years. We were able to do World Showcase at night and see Illuminations, we saw Fantasmic, and the MSEP, all without a rain problem. This has never happened for us before. It really was a virtually perfect trip.

I've been reading the previous posts, and as far as the discrepancies go, I guess you just keep in mind how large WDW really is. Just because it's raining in Epcot doesn't mean it's raining in the Magic Kingdom. Maybe we just got lucky this last trip. I know two years ago it rained every single afternoon and evening...and recall the tv meteorologist saying that Central Florida was on the "rain train". That one was tough!!!!

I guess you just keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best. Incidentally, during the "rain train" week, on one of the nights we decided to just stay in our villa (we're DVC'ers) than go out in the downpours. We rented Hercules (one of our kids' favorites) and got some snacks from the gift shop. It was a really fun night that we still remember. Our kids are older...so getting three teenage girls and our son to hang out together, watching a movie and eating snacks was fantastic. Granted, it wasn't Illuminations...but now that our two oldest are off at college, the memory of that rainy night in our villa is priceless.

Sometimes memories aren't what you plan. :)

meredith1 said:
I do not live in Florida however, I do live in the deep south and have all my life. I do not let my kids go out in the afternoons to play in August. It's just entirely to hot. It's awful!

This!!! Ugh August!

We've been twice in May & it was hot but nothing like our 1 trip in August. When I told my sister who lives in Florida she said "Are you crazy?! I don't even go outside in August! It's miserable!" And it was. 1st day at MK not so bad because it rained a lot. 2 days later at HS we were all at each others' throats because of the heat. Last day I walked kids down to POR pool from POFQ then I walked back to POFQ. I even had to detour into the gift shop & arcade to get a breather. On the way back people were staring at me.I looked in the mirror when I got back to my room and I had sweat halfway down my shirt. I DROVE down to POR to pick up my family. It's a sauna!

It was VERY, VERY hot. I thought I was going to pass out the first 10 mins at the park (of course, then I was also 17 weeks pregnant) HOWEVER, frankly MARCH 2012 felt just as hot...we will see how November goes for us...and our trip was booked prior to me getting a job at a school this year so we will see how much the P likes me taking off the 2 days prior to Thanksgiving

We were there 8/25-9/1 this year. The heat and humidity was there but not unbearable. Went back to the resort everyday during the hot part of the day. Lots of inside air conditioned rides and attractions to find shelter. The crowds were not bad at all. Would do it again for the savings. We had free dining this trip.

--Tim

Unfortunately, since I'm a teacher, we are only able to go during the summer. We always go the 3rd week of August because the prices drop that week and I don't have to be back for work week until the last week of August. I guess in 18 more years when I'm able to retire we will be able to go in September to see the fall decorations and in December to see Christmas.

DH and I were there Aug. 19-23 this year and it was hot but I didn't think it was unbearable...we left the park everyday around 1 or 2 to go to the pool and rest and returned about 4 or 5 so we missed most of the hottest part of the day. And there are a lot of rides/attractions that have lines inside a cool building so we were not bothered.

We did have to deal with a lot of rain this trip...went in 2009 during the same week of August and it only rained on us 2 times in our 7 day stay. We have a CM friend who moved down and started right before we left last month and his comment when I asked him what to expect was, "I can guarantee it will rain everyday at 4pm." Well, the first day we were down there (19th) it stormed at 3:00, 6:00, 7:30, and 9:00...they had to postpone Wishes until the storm passed. The next day we were at HS and there was a storm in the middle of the aternoon (while we were back at the resort) and another "deluge" during EMH at 11pm...we ended up getting soaked while waiting for our bus to go back to ASMu.

I am also a teacher, and have no other option but the summer. Honestly, I just didn't think it was that bad. So many of the rides are inside and the waiting areas are inside, it wasn't a big deal. We did have a shower each afternoon. It was really muggy up until the shower, but then it cooled down a good bit.

We were there this August from the 25th - 30th. The tropical storm/hurricane was in the area and we got a nice breeze for a few days because of that. There were also two days where it was misty and rainy out. We all wore our rain jackets. The rain kept the heat down and I did not find it bad at all. The crowd level was very low, and the heat wasn't too bad. I would go again in late August.

We were there this August from the 25th - 30th. The tropical storm/hurricane was in the area and we got a nice breeze for a few days because of that. There were also two days where it was misty and rainy out. We all wore our rain jackets. The rain kept the heat down and I did not find it bad at all. The crowd level was very low, and the heat wasn't too bad. I would go again in late August.

We've been going at the end of August for years now and this was the coldest trip ever, it was fabulous. However even when it is in the high 90s who cares, it is almost as hot up North so it isn't that big an adjustment. A few times we went at the end of September or beginning of October and that was unbearable because it was cold up north but still boiling hot in FL when you got off the plane.

We were there end of August and didn't think it was too comfortable. Because of Isaac, our first 3 days had intermittent rain, which was nice because it kept the temps down a bit.

When it got sunnier for the last part of our trip, it was hot, but nothing unbearable. We had a hot summer here in Minnesota this year - 31 days over 90 degree temps over the summer (a usual summer has about 13 90+ days), so maybe we were used to the heat and humidity, but Disney in August didn't feel much different than Minnesota this past July.

We were there end of August and didn't think it was too comfortable. Because of Isaac, our first 3 days had intermittent rain, which was nice because it kept the temps down a bit.

When it got sunnier for the last part of our trip, it was hot, but nothing unbearable. We had a hot summer here in Minnesota this year - 31 days over 90 degree temps over the summer (a usual summer has about 13 90+ days), so maybe we were used to the heat and humidity, but Disney in August didn't feel much different than Minnesota this past July.

That is when we were there. So, for me, Disney in August didn't feel much different than New York City in the summer. It was just going from a hot climate to another hot climate. During our 5 days there, New York was probably hotter than Disney. We were already adjusted to the heat. I am not a hot weather person.

We were there 8/25-9/1 this year. The heat and humidity was there but not unbearable. Went back to the resort everyday during the hot part of the day. Lots of inside air conditioned rides and attractions to find shelter. The crowds were not bad at all. Would do it again for the savings. We had free dining this trip.

--Tim

We were there the 24th-2nd. And we did like the above did. With 5 kids, 1 high schooler, 1 middle schooler and a 5th grader, there was no way I was taking them out of school. Although, we did enjoy October, it will not be worth all the extra homework a 9th grader in honors courses would have to make up.

We also have to tour in late July or early Aug for school and sports.

It was HOT! But it was hotter temp wise in Iowa....but the humidity was what really got to us.

We tour at rope drop, eat lunch at the parks and leave for a break. We then come back out at sundown and tour some more.

I think the temps were the same in July, but more humid in Aug. I would still tour in Aug over July...no big tour groups!!

We are from NJ and ever since I was little, we have always gone in July and August. It's hot, but we have always done what some other posters are writing-get to the park early, stay till about 12 or 1, go back to the hotel for a rest or pool time, then back to the parks at 4ish for dinner and more fun. It's definitely not that bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter