How far out to plan WDW trip?

I will be booking at 499 days for February 2020....if I end up replacing that room only reservation with a better deal, great. If not, at least I know I have a room I like. I have been mulling over resorts and formulating a to-do wish list since we drove away in April :-)

I have been booking my rooms about a year out or so, and changing around as prices drop. For instance my trip in September was booked in December for end of October originally, we then moved it up when we discovered it was cheaper to go a month earlier by almost $200. I just booked a room for the first week of November next year because with Galaxy's Edge coming I didn't want prices to jump.

I could be way off, but since the Star Wars GE is opening at DHS in the late fall, I think that will be an extremely busy (but fun and memorable) time. I would do as others suggested and book early to get the resort you want.

We are DLR vets who are debating doing WDW Christmas 2019... or have to do much planning.
…realize with WDW you have to plan much further out. So how far out do you start to plan a WDW trip?
How far out do you book your hotels?
The level of planning is at your discretion. Having realistic expectations in my opinion is important. Too much planning may result in unrealistic expectations and schedules, while too little may result in you missing out on somethings and wasting time. As far as resort rooms it comes down to booking early to have greater availability of a resort, a resort room type or a special room discounts. Another dimension to this is the busy seasons of WDW which can also may specific resorts in higher demand than others (i.e. WL and PR are very popular during Christmas; Epcot Resort during Food & Wine). Christmas week at WDW produces the largest crowds of the year and is accompanied with the highest resort room rates. Wait lines are longer and table service at high demand restaurants book out 6 months out; others book out of the prime dining times. WDW is also driven by various other dates related to dining reservations, special tickets event availability and activities, Fast pass choices etc. It really helps to do the research...we have normally done 12 months out to get the discount rooms in limited supply, less than this and some resorts may be booked out on some room categories or booked out entirely, but still watch as a better deal can arise after you make your reservation that could derive from "Free Dining" announced at various times of the year, people cancelling reservations, rooms held for a conference are released, etc.

How is end of January/early Feb? What should we expect crowd, discount, and refurbed rides?
Jan/Feb is excellent time to go to DLR because of crowds, but they usually have 3-4 major attractions down for refurb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter