How extravagant are we doing FE these days?

Lollipop's Mom

<font color=teal>Special trip with your little one
Way back in the day we used to get a list of everyone. 30-40 rooms. It was cute trinkets like magnets, cute pencils, candy. Just small things.
Now im on a list capped at only 6 staterooms. :( one being mine, one being my daughter and boyfriend, so technically i only need to do 4 rooms.
I remember on our last cruise in 2018 there were huge gift bags being left. It was much different from small trinkets! We we’re getting full on “gifts”! I had to run to a gift shop in port to bulk up our fe gifts!!
So how extravagant should I be going in a small FE group ?

Way back in the day we used to get a list of everyone. 30-40 rooms. It was cute trinkets like magnets, cute pencils, candy. Just small things.
Now im on a list capped at only 6 staterooms. :( one being mine, one being my daughter and boyfriend, so technically i only need to do 4 rooms.
I remember on our last cruise in 2018 there were huge gift bags being left. It was much different from small trinkets! We we’re getting full on “gifts”! I had to run to a gift shop in port to bulk up our fe gifts!!
Fish Extender groups set up their own "rules" as to what to give, when to give, how much to give.

The best ones just (IMO) are the ones with no specific limits, except, maybe, a suggested maximum cost per gift.

Last edited:
In April is was a variety. Some did a nicer custom thing, another with very useful items, and one person with a bag clearly just hit up the dollar store.

Do whatever makes you comfortable.

Gift something you would be happy to receive but set your expectations low on what you’ll get in return. We no longer participate due to that reason. I’ll pixie dust random cabins instead.

I miss the old days. It became a gift competion and so much complaining about what was given that it lost all the fun. We stopped doing the FE exchange this last time and honestly, it was quite liberating.

I feel the same, it was fun in the old days. I did it twice (08 and 09), as a fun little thing to do among friends...people who actually got to know each other first (here on the Dis) and then actually met and hung out on the cruise. Now it seems it has become strangers seeking out strangers just to get "stuff" and the whole process is like a military operation with rules, and people getting upset, etc... It does not seem enjoyable to me in it's current state.

We've done Fish Exchanges several times in the past few years and enjoy it every time. I'd say most gifts tend to be in the $7 - $20 range (no rules on this, just my estimate of what they probably cost). Nice but nothing extravagant and cheaper than anything decent you can buy in the DCL gift shop. There is a quite a variation in the quality of what you get, but never felt like we just received junk from anyone, and everyone on our social media page would be very thankful to each other post-cruise. No entitlement or judgment for gift quality, just gratitude.

I feel the same, it was fun in the old days. I did it twice (08 and 09), as a fun little thing to do among friends...people who actually got to know each other first (here on the Dis) and then actually met and hung out on the cruise. Now it seems it has become strangers seeking out strangers just to get "stuff" and the whole process is like a military operation with rules, and people getting upset, etc... It does not seem enjoyable to me in it's current state.
You nailed it! I was there from the very beginning on the first 2005 PC cruise. It has morphed and not in a good way.

Its a different generation of people now. I found that really changed it into being a bit of a one upping type thing. The gift bags were so extravagant and huge they didn't even go in the extender!! I am going to do it this time with zero expectations and give some nice stuff, but not over the top! I remember in 2018 this one woman shipped 2 uhaul boxes of gifts to the ship!! Thats not fun for me!

I do generally agree that FE gifts tend to be a bit more expensive/elaborate these days. I don’t have such a negative reaction as others here though. When it is only 5 cabins, you might as well do something a bit special to make the gift memorable and something folks will really get use out of. I’ve certainly enjoyed receiving special items from others and treasure them at home so it’s nice to pay it forward to others by giving them a nice souvenir. That’s not to say it has to be expensive—some of my favorites were handmade things like a disney painted rock or a hand-customized tote bag. But I do think it’s good to do something a little more special/unique than the candy and dollar store stuff I remember getting more of when we started sailing.

I’m usually so into this kind of thing but my cruise FB group started laying out rules and spending minimums I knew that was too much pressure for me.

Someone recently made a “pixie dust” list where you can sign up if you want to be pixie dusted something small and also pixie dust someone else. There’s no expectation that you will get anything or what that something would be … it’s much more my speed so I signed up for that.

I do generally agree that FE gifts tend to be a bit more expensive/elaborate these days. I don’t have such a negative reaction as others here though. When it is only 5 cabins, you might as well do something a bit special to make the gift memorable and something folks will really get use out of. I’ve certainly enjoyed receiving special items from others and treasure them at home so it’s nice to pay it forward to others by giving them a nice souvenir. That’s not to say it has to be expensive—some of my favorites were handmade things like a disney painted rock or a hand-customized tote bag. But I do think it’s good to do something a little more special/unique than the candy and dollar store stuff I remember getting more of when we started sailing.
In the beginning in 2005, there was rules. No breaking into smaller groups. No expectation for individual gifts per cabin guests. No expectation for thank you notes. No keeping track to make sure everyone that you gave to in fact gave back. I don't even remember anyone complaining about trinkets or Dollar Store items. Ahhh, the simpler times.

In the beginning in 2005, there was rules. No breaking into smaller groups. No expectation for individual gifts per cabin guests. No expectation for thank you notes. No keeping track to make sure everyone that you gave to in fact gave back. I don't even remember anyone complaining about trinkets or Dollar Store items. Ahhh, the simpler times.

Thank you notes??? Please tell me that is a joke and you aren't saying people really expect that now. :laughing:

Thank you notes??? Please tell me that is a joke and you aren't saying people really expect that now. :laughing:
Nope. I've done 6 FE's in the past 5 years and that has not been an expectation for any of them. FE's are usually created via social media, and some participants say a general thanks for their FE gifts as a social media post. Most don't, though, and it definitely is not an expectation.

Most of the posters who are on here bashing FE's have not done them in recent years (sometimes not for well over a decade), so aren't particularly reliable sources of information.

Last edited:
Yes, some FE groups require tags on the gifts so that you know who gave what, with the idea that you can personally thank them for their gift. I dropped out of a FE group due to that and the minimum cost for gifts that was being requested on my last DCL cruise.

Yes, some FE groups require tags on the gifts so that you know who gave what, with the idea that you can personally thank them for their gift. I dropped out of a FE group due to that and the minimum cost for gifts that was being requested on my last DCL cruise.
I forgot that part. It was anonymous in the very beginning.

Personally, I think the small groups may be less focused on the dollars spent than they are on the uniqueness of the gifts. Especially if you're asked to provide names, ages, favorite characters, etc. - that means some people will really customize the things they give out. That doesn't necessary equal super-expensive, but but it does mean more time spent. On our 2018 Alaskan cruise, we got super cute Alaska-themed coasters from one family, and customized luggage tags from another. We still use them! I don't think either cost that much to make for a artsy person (or maybe they got on Etsy), plus some people really love arts and crafts. I could definitely see how that scares people away, b/c not everyone is creative or wants to spend time planning/making/customizing gifts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter