• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How extravagant are we doing FE these days?

I'm signed up for one and our group has 8 staterooms. I'm not going too crazy. heck, 3 of the cabins are first timers, so one of the gifts will be a "our first cruise" magnet for the door. easy peasy!
Yep, customized magnets are a gift I've done. Etsy makes it very easy.

I have only done the FE exchange 3 times and got a variety of items. Some do dollar store items and some custom make their gifts. I have not been in a group that would expect thank you notes or have a have spending minimum. If I saw that, I wouldn't join the group.

I forgot that part. It was anonymous in the very beginning.
I like the tagging because it ensures that you get the gifts the right people. On my last sailing there were so many state room changes they really help to make sure the right people got the gifts.

I love doing FE because it keeps my eyes open when it comes to seeing stuff throughout the year that’s just cool and a Disney fan would appreciate. Recently I was at Primark and they had Lilo and stitch cookie cutter sets They were dirt cheap like a few bucks but the value in them is the fact that you rarely see something like this and if you actually wanted to find something like this you would probably pay 10 times the amount. The lady at the counter it’s probably thinking I was some freak since I bought 20 of them.

I've never understood the appeal of FE: the expense, the work before and during vacation, and the added suitcase space required is all a no from me. And the time it takes out of your trip to deliver them all when there is so much to enjoy on the ship! For repeat cruisers who have seen all the shows and ridden the Aqueduck dozens of times, I guess I might get it, but even then, I would rather take whatever I might spend on FE gifts and get myself one souvenir I really want, rather than receive a half dozen random knickknacks from strangers. To each their own, but I think a lot of folks feel FOMO, sign up for groups, and put pressure on themselves to come up with great FE gifts, when they could just opt out and relax on their vacation instead.

I've never understood the appeal of FE: the expense, the work before and during vacation, and the added suitcase space required is all a no from me. And the time it takes out of your trip to deliver them all when there is so much to enjoy on the ship! For repeat cruisers who have seen all the shows and ridden the Aqueduck dozens of times, I guess I might get it, but even then, I would rather take whatever I might spend on FE gifts and get myself one souvenir I really want, rather than receive a half dozen random knickknacks from strangers. To each their own, but I think a lot of folks feel FOMO, sign up for groups, and put pressure on themselves to come up with great FE gifts, when they could just opt out and relax on their vacation instead.
It is not for everyone. Some people enjoy that kind of stuff believe it or not. LOL The only thing that I don't agree with is your time statement. I don't consider 20 minutes out of the whole cruise to be excessive. The times that I have done it, I looked ahead where the rooms are and planned a route. Some people think that lounging in a chair is a waste of time.

I agree there is work before the vacation—for me it is part of the vacation planning ritual, like the work I put into pirate costumes for pirate night, or researching pre-cruise hotels, or booking onboard activities shore excursions. Not everyone does those things either, but a lot of people do like to do work ahead of the cruise to enhance the fun on the cruise—and for me it is worth putting together a fun gift for 5-10 cabins in order to have the fun of receiving some fun surprises on the ship. Just like a mini-Christmas.

What I don’t agree with is that it is some big time suck on the ship. It really doesn’t take that long to deliver FEs, and it is fun for me to see everyone’s decorated doors along the way—some are really cool, and unless your room is next to them, you’d have to reason to walk by them if not for FE. Plus, I usually do it in late at night or early morning when no other activities are happening (i.e. after 11pm or before 8am… I don’t need 9 hours of sleep!).

I give things I can afford and that I would like (or my kids would like) to receive. I have zero expectations of what I will get in return. I also sometimes make homemade gifts as I enjoy crafting. I do it solely for the fun of giving. My kids love every little thing they get, as the fun is in checking the extender. If they won't use the items they pass them on as Pixie Dusting or take them home to give to friends.

I miss the old days. It became a gift competion and so much complaining about what was given that it lost all the fun. We stopped doing the FE exchange this last time and honestly, it was quite liberating.
Agreed. We just did it in October and we were the cheap-o-s for sure at about $15 a cabin. I ended up just feeling bad about what we gave (reusable straws with Mickeys on the case for adults, toys for kid based on age plus an individual regional candy to where we live for everyone). Plus although cute- half of the things we got are now at Goodwill. I decided we won’t do it again.

Agreed. We just did it in October and we were the cheap-o-s for sure at about $15 a cabin. I ended up just feeling bad about what we gave (reusable straws with Mickeys on the case for adults, toys for kid based on age plus an individual regional candy to where we live for everyone). Plus although cute- half of the things we got are now at Goodwill. I decided we won’t do it again.
I understand your feelings.

I love getting regional candy or small tokens that represent where a person is from. <3

I've never understood the appeal of FE: the expense, the work before and during vacation, and the added suitcase space required is all a no from me. And the time it takes out of your trip to deliver them all
Some people enjoy giving and receiving small presents, while others don't. Just like some people enjoy Secret Santa and others don't. You're either that type or you're not. Some people don't get it while others enjoy it. As is the case for pretty much every other diversion in life, including going on Disney cruises.

It isn't much work to get onto Etsy and order 5 - 10 customized magnets, for example, and those take up very little suitcase space on the way in. We always make sure we have a little extra suitcase space for the return flight from a Disney trip, because we usually buy souvenirs, so that allows room for gifts that we receive. We don't keep everything, but do have many, many things we received from Fish Extenders that we have kept, typically the things that are useful and/or themed or personalized. A few that come to mind are: a set of Mickey and Minnie themed koozies, a "Welcome Home" print on burlap, a Disney-themed collapsible mesh laundry hamper, a Disney themed jewelry holder, Disney themed pencils and notepads, homemade magnets, etc., etc. Most of those items probably cost less than $10, and none of them take up significant luggage space. An item doesn't have to be expensive or big to be charming.

Dropping off the gifts is a pleasure for people who enjoy giving, especially for kids, and the whole process takes less than an hour for 10 staterooms. You also get to "stateroom door shop" as you drop gifts off. It's nice to go through the halls and see people's door decorations, especially on holiday cruises.

But yeah, if it's just not for you, it's just not for you. If you are the type to enjoy anonymous giving and receiving, then go for it. You'll like it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter