How do you visit the parks without a bag?

Jamie77

DIS Veteran
Since we are so reliant on smartphones for FP+ purposes, how do you visit the parks without having to bring a bag? I miss the days when I didn't have to go through bag check (in the days pre-smartphone) and all I had was a small cloth wallet where I could put my identification and stuff in it. If you have a large smartphone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge) where do you put it? Cargo pants won't work because security has to check all those pockets and the pockets of my shorts/pants aren't deep enough to hold a phone without it falling out on a ride. I haven't done a bagless check in over 10 years because I don't know how to enter a park with a phone. Any thoughts on this anyone?

I gave my day pack for the first time last Christmas. I decided I was tired of the bag check mess. I thought I would miss it, but I didn't. I wear my smart phone on my belt, I can carry a check rain poncho in a pocket... and I'm good. I think the only thing that I may miss having in the rainier months is the small Tote umbrella that I prefer over ponchos in hot sticky weather.

You know how most women shop for clothes by trying them on and turning in the mirror to see how they fit...well, not me. I put on pants or shorts and then put my rather large phone in my pocket and then I sit, stands and move to see if the phone fits. I don't care how my butt looks as long as my phone fits.

So, bagless in the park has my cell phone in one pocket, chap stick in the other and a credit card and AP discount card in a lanyard pouch. I also have a metal water bottle on a cross body strap.

Of course, you could always try one of those phone arm bands for runners.

keys and money in 1 pocket, wallet in the other and phone in the other like any other day of my life... Why not cargo shorts? this isn't the tsa, you'll just take the phone out when you go through the metal detector. I tend to end up with the phone in my hand taking pictures more than it's in my pocket though..

as far as rides, I just put the phone in the bag they include for your stuff if it's a ride I'm concerned it might get damaged or fall out.

we use water bottle carriers so we can be more hands free. But I still wind up with a back pack or fanny pack. Mom is the pack mule in our family lol!

Yep, pockets. I don't have a cover on my cell phone, so it's a bit smaller. Fits in the pocket nicely. Keys and wallet in the other front pocket.

You know how most women shop for clothes by trying them on and turning in the mirror to see how they fit...well, not me. I put on pants or shorts and then put my rather large phone in my pocket and then I sit, stands and move to see if the phone fits. I don't care how my butt looks as long as my phone fits.

So, bagless in the park has my cell phone in one pocket, chap stick in the other and a credit card and AP discount card in a lanyard pouch. I also have a metal water bottle on a cross body strap.

Right - cell phone in one cargo pocket and chopstick in the other - CC, license, AP, etc in a clear pouch on l

Cargo capris for me as well - phone in one pocket, chapstick in the other and CC, license, AP etc in a clear pouch on a lanyard around my neck.

We still aren't able to even when its just my husband and I. We take a book bag or something but that has phones for both, glasses case, jacket/poncho if needed that day. But we have never been bothered because we do try to minimize what we take....our next trip won't happen since we have young kids.

Security doesn't feel into your pockets, either regular or cargo. You empty your pockets into a container before going through security.

But they still have to check which means I can't go through the bagless line without being stopped.

I take a very small bag that goes cross wise on me but over the one shoulder. I can fit my phone, my car keys, my ID, insurance card, credit card(s), lip balm, and my Magic Band (I don't wear mine) in it. I'm still hands free and do need to go through bag check but it's a simple process as I have the bag off my body, the three pockets unzipped/snapped/velcroed and get through in less than a minute.

I take a very small bag that goes cross wise on me but over the one shoulder. I can fit my phone, my car keys, my ID, insurance card, credit card(s), lip balm, and my Magic Band (I don't wear mine) in it. I'm still hands free and do need to go through bag check but it's a simple process as I have the bag off my body, the three pockets unzipped/snapped/velcroed and get through in less than a minute.

I usually do this, too. I got a Baggalini from Mori Luggage a few years ago and take this on all my WDW trips. I just hate having to go through bag check when I see there is not a line for bagless but the bag check line is packed. Then from there it is is the tapstile line which is also long. I just wanted to get through one line instead of two.

You put your stuff in a bin if you pass through a metal detector. Even people without bags going through the bagless line can get routed through one. They will not pat you down.

Okay, that makes sense now. I've never had to go through a metal detector on previous trips, even when they were starting the practice in Fall 2015.

Car key in right pocket, iPhone 7+ in left pocket, wallet in back right pocket.

If I bring anything else it's a water bottle which I carry

sometimes you do. it's a lot faster than getting your bag checked and then the metal detector if you are stopped..

Thanks. I wasn't factoring in a metal detector. The last time I went to WDW was December 2015 and they were randomly picking people to go through the metal detectors. Surprisingly, I went to the parks many times that week and never saw them. I don't know how I missed them since they were the topic of conversation on the boards at the time.

Since we are so reliant on smartphones for FP+ purposes, how do you visit the parks without having to bring a bag? I miss the days when I didn't have to go through bag check (in the days pre-smartphone) and all I had was a small cloth wallet where I could put my identification and stuff in it. If you have a large smartphone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge) where do you put it? Cargo pants won't work because security has to check all those pockets and the pockets of my shorts/pants aren't deep enough to hold a phone without it falling out on a ride. I haven't done a bagless check in over 10 years because I don't know how to enter a park with a phone. Any thoughts on this anyone?
I buy my shorts for Disney (or travel in general) - with the size of the pockets in mind. Women's clothing is AWFUL when it comes to pockets - so I've actually had to search through men's stuff to find things with pockets. My go to has been Columbia Sportwears Men's Brewha II shorts because they have some elastic on the sides so they actually fit me as a women. I also really despise large phones. I've got a iPhone 6 right now and hate its size. I'll be switching to something smaller once this phone gets a bit more dated. (well, assuming there's something on the market besides the mini tablets they seem to try to call a phone.....)

I don't go in without a bag. But it's not because of a phone. I don't feel that one is tied to a phone bc of fastpass; one could always simply write down what times fps are and use that instead of a phone.

Rather it's because of sunscreen and water that I take a bag. Gotta reapply, and I cannot stand Orlando water. So we get bottled spring water for our days. As we hydrate the bag's weight lightens and we know we've done well.

To go without a bag would harm me with either an upset stomach from Orlando water, a sunburn, and/or dehydration. I see no point in doing that.

I buy my shorts for Disney (or travel in general) - with the size of the pockets in mind. Women's clothing is AWFUL when it comes to pockets - so I've actually had to search through men's stuff to find things with pockets. My go to has been Columbia Sportwears Men's Brewha II shorts because they have some elastic on the sides so they actually fit me as a women. I also really despise large phones. I've got a iPhone 6 right now and hate its size. I'll be switching to something smaller once this phone gets a bit more dated. (well, assuming there's something on the market besides the mini tablets they seem to try to call a phone.....)

Yes, I very seldom find deep pockets in women's clothing. It's so hard to find shorts that fit properly much less have pockets that are accommodating. What I ended up doing last time (I had a smaller smartphone) is put my contents in my pockets and then safety pinned them shut so nothing would fall out on Rock 'N Rollercoaster or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I know I could use the little mesh containers on the rides but I tend to walk off the ride and leave them behind so I like to keep my stuff on my person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!