How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?*Final Thoughts & Farewells* 10/7 p100

My husband gets SO MAD at me when I start whispering "people of Walmart" comments to him. :rotfl: What can I say? Sometimes I just can't help myself.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: When I lived closer to the Charlotte Speedway, it would take me a moment to realize why Walmart has gone nuts. Eventually it would dawn on me, it is race week.:eek:

When are your October dates? Are you going to be there the same time?

Just wondering...;) (You know I am absolutely jonesing for a trip at this point.)

I will be there Sept 26 or 27 until Oct 3. It looks like I am missing lots of folks again who are going in the middle of the month. I still think there are plenty going for the race and the 40th anniversay on the 1st.

It truly wasn’t my intent to be the last to introduce myself but, given that I am perpetually late for EVERYTHING, it’s probably appropriate.

I was happy to nominate Mary Ellen as the narrator as well, it seems to take me a long time to finish my TR’s, I’m only on day 9 of a 14 day trip that happened back in August so it’s really in everyone’s best interest that I not do it or we’d never get it done. Actually, it was unanimous, not only is she an entertaining TR writer, she’s quite the paparazzi and a great roomie! What more could you want? Ok, a little bit about me.

My name is Cynthia and I am the “west” in this tale. About as west as you can get actually, up here in soggy soggy Seattle. I am a rare species up here, an actual native and let me tell you this is the first year ever that I can remember that the rain “got” to me. People are funny about rain. Seattle has this myth about the volume of rain but let me tell you, Chicago gets the same annual amount. It just rains differently there. Not this year. This year has been torrentially wet and cold. Record setting wet and cold. I needed to get out of the rain, in a way I can’t ever remember feeling and while this trip was planned back in September and I did add a sun “date” trip with my husband only 2 weeks before the girls trip I was very very ready for sun and fun with the girls, knowing it might be a very long time before I saw it again. Thank heavens I had both those trips, they really will need to carry me over. Sadly, it still is (as I look outside and it’s pouring and a measly 51). We went to a play and dinner last night with friends and bemoaned the fact that no one in Seattle dresses up and the lack of heels, everyone opting for “practical” shoes. But, as I dashed raindrops in my heels, with only my magical scarf for shelter (it served as blanket in the too freezing theater and headgear in the rain ala Audrey Hepburn) I can see why people just don’t bother.

I digress (this happens a lot).

I joined this conceptual party via some light banter on (I think) Mary Ellen’s TR at the time. For me, just coming off my August Grand Gathering and it looking like another 2 years before we’d be back, I was definitely feeling the PDD. Post Disney Depression. So when the idea started floating around in earnest, it was like “why not!” I knew my husband was a bit “done” with Disney for while (though never as done as he says at the time) and I really wanted to go back and see some things on my own terms, without the gaggle I generally travel with. With miles available for tickets, the trip was quickly greenlighted and I was in. As a non DVC owner I rented points from Mary Ellen, who would be my roommate.

I’ve done girl trips before but only for a weekend and either it was with family, or my college friends. On those trips we are together, all the time. This would be very different for me, not only in length and location but in the ability to have some real solo/alone time. I don’t get that. Ever. I have a real life Brady Bunch blended family (mine and yours, no ours…4 was enough lol) that is an absolute blessing but…I admit to wanting to escape all of them, for just a bit. For some ME time.

My gang breaks out as follows.

Me, DH Jeff, DSS Taylor (18), DSD Kendall (14), DS Evan (11) and DS Eric (10).

I adore my family and they are a blast and a half. But between working full time (business development for a forensic engineering company), the kids crazy schedules and life…it can be exhausting. I’d just come off of a 6 day trip with Jeff to Hawaii. He also needed a break from the rain and we needed the date trip. It had been a long time and frankly, had we not gone, he’d have been a bit bitter about my girls trip. As a result, he wasn’t which was a very very good thing since he’d be managing the E’s while I was gone. In practical terms that meant only one call for “help” while I was gone, which was pretty darn cool! When we travel without kids we try very hard not to do it on “kid” weekends, meaning weekends when we have all 4 kids. We have the E’s 24/7 but Kendall and Taylor are on more of a typical visitation schedule so we get them about half the time. When you don’t have your kids full time, you don’t want to miss a second! So that was a constraint in our planning and choosing of trip dates. Luckily, as everyone mentioned, this came together so easily! We had a few constraints beyond my schedule to work around, most notably Easter, Mothers Day and the Flower and Garden dates (we wanted to go during F&G) and amazingly it all came together in the span of a week or so (and a few hundred emails and pm’s lol).

I don’t have very many pictures of just me as I’m usually the photographer. I admit, I did try to rectify that a little on this trip so once the photo pass CD arrives, there will actually be some that are semi current. I hope to get that ordered this week. This one is from Hawaii. This is actually the southernmost point in the US. I found this fascinating as Key West gets a lot of hoopla for it but it’s actually only the southernmost point in the continental US, this is on the Big Island and it truly the southernmost point in all of the US. The two locations couldn’t be more different, this is like being at the end of the earth. I thought this picture was appropriate as just 2 weeks after it was taken, I’d be taking the red eye to the opposite end of our country, almost to the “other” southernmost point. Funny to think of Seattle as being in the middle!

P4180883.jpg

And a couple of pictures from our trip in August.

Photo0064.jpg

DisneyPhotoImage108.jpg

Melissa arrives first, then Mary Ellen and then Jen so I won’t start in on my travel day yet but I will share a picture of my much talked about Magical Bag that I purchased for the trip. As Melissa headed off to the world, I was wondering if I could really fit everything I “thought” I could into it or if the magic would fail me. This picture is from the Hawaii trip.

P4140252.jpg

This is too funny. All this talk about the magical bag and I'm pretty sure I have the same one. From ebags? I agree, it's pretty cool. Tons of compartments and I especially dig the zippered spot for the laptop that is easy to get to in the security line. :thumbsup2

I am :laughing: b/c here I was hoping you had some miracle solution and I already have it. :rotfl: But you said you packed an unreal # of shoes and I can't imagine fitting them in here. Maybe we aren't talking about the same bag?? Although I didn't really put it through its paces. I'll be testing its limits on the next trip.

But please tell me that's not all you brought. As I said... that was my CARRY-ON. :lmao: Said somewhere else in email or on another thread but love the "Hawaii purse" as well. Very island-y!

:welcome: Disneyfreak. We are so happy to have you along for the ride. Looks like you have some great summer trips planned!

Thanks! :goodvibes I do! I have two trips planned and I'll be doing a TR for both! I can't wait to share with you all! :thumbsup2

Interesting bag question...Right now I'm debating my ability to fit everything I need into a single carry-on for my California trip! I still cannot believe that you got to Hawaii and Disney within such a short time span. :goodvibes

This is too funny. All this talk about the magical bag and I'm pretty sure I have the same one. From ebags? I agree, it's pretty cool. Tons of compartments and I especially dig the zippered spot for the laptop that is easy to get to in the security line. :thumbsup2

I am :laughing: b/c here I was hoping you had some miracle solution and I already have it. :rotfl: But you said you packed an unreal # of shoes and I can't imagine fitting them in here. Maybe we aren't talking about the same bag?? Although I didn't really put it through its paces. I'll be testing its limits on the next trip.

But please tell me that's not all you brought. As I said... that was my CARRY-ON. :lmao: Said somewhere else in email or on another thread but love the "Hawaii purse" as well. Very island-y!

:rotfl:

I'm not sure mine has a laptop place but maybe I just haven't used it that way? The easy access pockets on mine seem more designed for toiletries than a laptop. I didn't bring my laptop on the trip but I have used it with my laptop in the top part but there's still a ton of room for other things so maybe it's a different bag.

The boys have a similar ebags roller but it's a different configuration inside. Theirs hold a ton, are 3 years old and have held up really well but I like this configuration better, and it's lighter. I did fit an unreal amount of shoes in there. 9 for Hawaii (no joke) and I think 7 for the FL trip. Granted, flip flops don't take up much space! I do use the entire back side just for shoes and toiletries (and for the FL trip...coffee and vodka....) and then all my clothes go on the other side. I checked it for FL but we used it as a carry on for HI and to be fair, for that trip, my toiletries ended up in Jeff's suitcase. For FL I brought the pink tote above as my purse and then my green tink bag as my carryon, I was able to squish my other park bag/purse options inside of those. Tink holds a LOT!

She isn't a good park bag as I learned on this trip. I'd never used the big tink as a park bag and did once and those pretty gold straps were icky hot and slimy on my shoulder the one day I used it. Good pool bag though! :rotfl:

But it was tight on the suitcase and I was worried I'd break a zipper, especially when I tried to repack it for the return home (and I didn't buy much!). I figure (post game analysis) that I could have left at least 1 pair of shoes, 1 park bag and 1 pr of capri's home and certainly skipping the vodka or my workout shoes and stuff would have added a lot more wiggle room. As Mary Ellen will attest, I had to sit on it to get it zipped up, for the return home, it was not easy. I did bring a ridiculous amount of stuff squished in that bag.

But I still think it's magical.

Um. I'm an admitted purse and shoe nut and I lovelovelove that red bag atop your suitcase!!! :love:

Thanks! it's actually a magenta/hot pink (though the suitcase is red). It comes in a bunch of different colors, I just picked the one on major clearance as it screamed Hawaii to me. I used it a TON in Hawaii, but basically just as my purse there and back for WDW. It's a bit large and bulky for a park bag but is a great summer tote. I got it from ebags, Elaine Turner is the brand. The funny thing is the bag I ordered was supposed to be white, with hot pink trim (that was the one on clearance) and they sent this one, which was not marked down nearly as much but I really liked it so kept it. I only see a Taupe one there now but I paid a lot less than that for mine!!!

However the pink will rub off on certain things so I have to be careful with it.

The funny thing is the bag I ordered was supposed to be white, with hot pink trim (that was the one on clearance) and they sent this one, which was not marked down nearly as much but I really liked it so kept it. I only see a Taupe one there now but I paid a lot less than that for mine!!!

However the pink will rub off on certain things so I have to be careful with it.

Good to know. It's funny. I love me some bags, but I'm never over on ebags.

All of your intros leave me ready for more! Great job so far, Ladies!! (Ugh, this reminds me of another tale to be told- and I'm moving into the "late" category, as Cynthia describes herself...)

The rain is def. getting to me too! Yet again, 50 or so and showery. Will it EVER stop here??

Well C you did bring a blender in your suitcase so you needed the extra space!! :laughing: I know I need a bigger suitcase now too....even after all the stuff I left in my OL :rolleyes1 I had to sit on my suitcase and my OL to close them both :rotfl:
Jackie I do hope you can squeeze in a trip for October :goodvibes

Tracy

MaryEllen, I've been waiting for this TR & now here I am on page 5. This TR started filling up fast!:thumbsup2

Let the fun begin!:banana:

All of your intros leave me ready for more! Great job so far, Ladies!! (Ugh, this reminds me of another tale to be told- and I'm moving into the "late" category, as Cynthia describes herself...)

The rain is def. getting to me too! Yet again, 50 or so and showery. Will it EVER stop here??

I don't know. Our regular baseball season ends next sat. Not ONE capri/tshirt worth sunny game. That's just WRONG! Speaking of tales, mine is ready to go for later tonight :)

Well C you did bring a blender in your suitcase so you needed the extra space!! :laughing: I know I need a bigger suitcase now too....even after all the stuff I left in my OL :rolleyes1 I had to sit on my suitcase and my OL to close them both :rotfl:
Jackie I do hope you can squeeze in a trip for October :goodvibes

Tracy

I thought of that after I replied! and :worship: for the blender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in fact... it was applause worthy!

Joining in for all of the fun!
LOVE the intro. :goodvibes

:welcome: Native NYer! Thanks for joining in. I hope we can keep you entertained for the duration. :laughing:

Well yeah, but everyone looks like a sherpa in the airport! I have a funny sherpa airport story myself (though it involves a bar stool lol) but that will have to wait quite a while.

This ought to be an interesting story! :rotfl:

SO true. And I know they say they don't "do" anything but every once in a while one would land on me and after a few seconds, "OUCH!" a prickly, burning sensations. I definitely don't like sharing my Disney vacations with them.

I had no idea that love bugs bit. This makes me like them even less. :scared1:

Joining in to hear about all the fun you girls had!

:welcome: Happy Elf. Thanks for joining in. Girls trips are so much. Looks like you have a trip coming up in a couple months. :thumbsup2

Yup. Race weekend and Walmart anytime of the day is the best people watching around here altho I did see some choice outfits in Atlantic City last night.:lmao:

Dover was so bad last night that you had to escape to AC. :rotfl: Did you have a good time? I bet there were some interesting sights there.

Hello ladies :) I've been around on some of your TRs before and I've probably lurked on all the others so I'm excited to be in for this one!

BCV is my #2 dream resort so I'm down for tonssss of pictures, please! And, I'm really liking the title of this report...did I mention I have a list of all the drinks I'd like to try while I'm in the World again in a few weeks? Seems like we'll all get along pretty well here...:rotfl: ;)

:welcome: Kristen! Thanks so much for joining in. I hope our TR keeps you entertained until you leave in 15 days. WOOT!

BCV really lived up to the hype. I loved being so close to Epcot and I loved the customer service. The studio was also very nice, as were all the pools. Lots of plusses to that resort.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: When I lived closer to the Charlotte Speedway, it would take me a moment to realize why Walmart has gone nuts. Eventually it would dawn on me, it is race week.:eek:

I have to agree that Walmart is a darn good reflection of what is going on in the rest of the community. I live 30 minutes from Dover and everything here was teaming with race fans too.

I can attest to the fact that she got a lot of shoes in that bag! It was unreal. She had ALL her clothes and ALL her shoes in there. My suitcase looked like a dinosaur compared to hers and I couldn't have fit all that stuff in there.

It truly wasn’t my intent to be the last to introduce myself but, given that I am perpetually late for EVERYTHING, it’s probably appropriate.

P4140252.jpg

Wonderful Introduction Cynthia. All your pictures are fabulous! So glad everything fell into place for you to be the west part of our clan.

I hope it stops raining there soon!
Thanks! :goodvibes I do! I have two trips planned and I'll be doing a TR for both! I can't wait to share with you all! :thumbsup2

The only thing better than one Disney trip is TWO!!!!! I look forward to reading your TR's.

Hey, Gals! Just poppin' in to say Hi... goin' back to read now!!

Kathy
:welcome: Kathy! So glad to have you join in and we know you are no stranger to DIS girls trips. Aren't they great????

Interesting bag question...Right now I'm debating my ability to fit everything I need into a single carry-on for my California trip! I still cannot believe that you got to Hawaii and Disney within such a short time span. :goodvibes

Let me just say that she got a ton of stuff into that suitcase. She may not have unpacked between Hawaii and Florida. Same type of clothes you know! And her stuff wasn't even that wrinkly. Truly an amazing bag.

MaryEllen, I've been waiting for this TR & now here I am on page 5. This TR started filling up fast!:thumbsup2

Let the fun begin!:banana:

:welcome: Old Friend!!!!! I'm so glad you made it! I've missed you since the last TR ended! I think you're right - this TR is filling up at record speed (at least for me). It should be a challenge to keep up!

Are you getting excited for your Fall trip????

What a fun trip. Excited to read along!!

:welcome: IluvXU. So glad you are able to join us for the TR. We will try really hard to keep you entertained.

Hi MEK!!! I found this....I love reading your TR's and I needed a good one to get me all excited for my upcoming trip....who better to feed my addiction???

Let me just say that she got a ton of stuff into that suitcase. She may not have unpacked between Hawaii and Florida. Same type of clothes you know! And her stuff wasn't even that wrinkly. Truly an amazing bag.

Oh there were tweaks...traded out heels for tennis shoes and keens and I actually did wash it all and then repack it but yeah, that did help. It WAS wrinkly though. Did you miss all the ironing I did? Oh wait, you were RUNNING. :rotfl: About 1000% more ironing than I ever do at home, that's for sure.

Which would be zero.

:rotfl:

I am getting so ready for our trip that I just cannot get enough of reports right now, knowing we are so close!

Fun intros ladies, I cannot wait to hear more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!