How do you stop gossip in the work place?

mt2

<font color=red>I eat my children's Easter and Hal
Or can it even be done? I was asked this today at my end of year review? I told them that I have never really had to deal with this issue. (In the past, my work places have had only 6 - 7 people).

We have 2 months off until MOD starts again. How can gossip not get started? or back stabbing? 1/2 of the people (workers) are not coming back because they need more than 2 days a week.

Any ideas would help.

mt2

You can't stop it, but you don't have to be part of it. When I was teaching everybody knew you could come to my room for some laughs, but don't try and start any crap. I just didn't put up with it. :)

SherryNC said:
You can't stop it, but you don't have to be part of it.

That's my thought, too. If you are not interested in gossiping, quietly tell the gossip mongers that you don't think the conversation is appropriate and quickly change the subject.

here's what I do

Gossiper: hey Ran did you here about so and so....

Ran: that's a coincidence, I just heard the same thing about you

Ran said:
here's what I do

What a great comeback! :teeth:

Ran said:
here's what I do

Oh how clever!! I work at one of our local high schools. There is no way anyone can stop the immature gossiping. Especially when the new teacher in our classroom is 24 going on 12. He says such immature things and starts so much nonsense. I can't wait for this school year to end. Only 4 more days!! It isn't only him though, even older people start with the nonsense rumors. I try to lay low and keep out of it. Funny thing is he was recently informed that he wasn't being asked back for next fall. Shouldn't surprise anyone. Hope the next teacher is far more mature.

you cant
its everyhere no matter where you work
you just have to ignore
cuz if you get caught up in .....
thats bad !!!

mostly I just say, "I don't have time for this" and go back to doing what I was doing.

I firmly believe that the best way to quench gossip is not to be a part of it. I work in a department office in a college and gossip is not a problem there. It helps that I'm the office manager. My rule is that you don't say something ABOUT someone unless you would say it TO them. There are other departments that constantly have the stress and drama of someone being mad at someone else and constant sniping. You can just tell when you walk in the office that it is not a fun place to work. I've had many clerical people transfer into my dept to get out of that kind of atmosphere.

Everyone in our dept knows that if they tell me something in confidence, I will never tell a soul. It's so immature to use your knowledge of problems that people might be having as a way to get attention.

Thanks for the advice. I usually walk away or find something else to do.

I told my boss that something should be said about it not being tolerated this coming year during our training sessions this summer. Hopefully, with new people coming in, it will stick.

Sorry for not responding sooner but we had to go out of town suddenly.

mt2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter