How do you get past the commitment phobia?

jtowntoflorida

Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney
I've been lurking on this board more than I probably should. ;)

We've been to Disney twice in the last two years, rented points both times. We're planning our third annual trip for this fall, and will also be renting points. We've rented from the same person all three times and have had no issues--it's a mutually beneficial relationship for sure.

But something has been nagging in the back of my head...like maybe we should just go ahead and buy ourselves. I'd definitely buy resale, but I just can't get past the commitment of it. We only go annually, and I can't see the frequency increasing. What if the kids start hating it? What if we start hating it? How many years do you think you have to get out of DVC before it's not "worth it" anymore, if that makes sense?

In my way of thinking, we pay about $2700/year for lodging by renting points (1 bedroom at BLT). If we went with a 250 point contract at VWL, we'd spend $16,250 if we paid $65/point. Taking into account MFs, we'd have to go annually for probably the next 15 years to "break even" when looking at the annualized cost of purchasing vs. renting points. While I love Disney, part of the reason (a big reason) for the way I feel is that my (very young) kids love it. I just can't wrap my head around going to the same place on vacation for the next 15 years (even though we'll have other vacations each year as well), especially if the kids stop loving it as they get older. But maybe they won't stop loving it because Disney will be one of their childhood traditions? Ugh.

Typing this out and doing the math, I think I've just talked myself into renting points forever instead of buying, but I am wondering how others got over the "commitment phobia" aspect of purchasing DVC.

it is a big commitment.

if you are happy renting, why not just stick with that.

One owner stated that they didn't want to not be able to count on being able to book when they wanted. Renting can be dependent upon what the owner has to offer, or what a company like David's can come up with for you.

Renting has worked for you... for some it may not.

it is a big commitment.

if you are happy renting, why not just stick with that.

I think my biggest issue renting is the lack of control. What if the guy we've been renting from goes back to using all of his points in a year? What if he dies? I'm not sure I'll ever trust someone the way I trust him. **cue sappy music here** :rotfl:

We go multiple times a year and WDW is our favorite vacation destination. So there is no danger of us not wanting to go every year.

If renting works best for you because of the flexiblity, that's great.

What if you bought a smaller contract to use for your Disney trips every other year (so in your example, a 125-point contract instead of 250).

That way you could feel out the DVC process without as large a commitment. And in the other years, you could either transfer in additional points from another member for a Disney trip, or use that money to go on vacation somewhere other than Disney.

I'd definitely buy resale, but I just can't get past the commitment of it. We only go annually, and I can't see the frequency increasing. What if the kids start hating it? What if we start hating it? How many years do you think you have to get out of DVC before it's not "worth it" anymore, if that makes sense?
Depending on what price you are renting for, the horizon could be quite long.

I'm not sure this is something to "get over". This really is a long-term commitment. If you are not sure you'll still be going back as the kids grow older---and move out---then it is probably better to just rent.

You could look at some price charts (http://www.dvcrequest.com/point_charts.asp) to see how many you'd need, and desired location for your family size.

Then you could watch for a rather small contract at the resort you prefer (much less than 150, which is not small), then combine years through banking and borrowing to stay on points every 2 or 3 years.

This would give you all the member benefits toward the other costs incurred during your trip (maybe a Tables in Wonderland card to reduce eating costs, good for 365 days: http://tablesinwonderland.com/#locations_nav; an annual pass at the DVC owners rate). You could still rent points for the years you aren't staying on points. This way you'd take advantage of owner's benefits, have lower maintenance fees to pay each year, and still have the flexibility you are currently enjoying with renting. It'd be a smaller up-front investment, and you could watch for points other owners are willing to transfer into your account... like renting but they'd be under your control.

The smaller contracts seem to sell much faster also, but that will change when they get closer to expiring (or their cost will depreciate substantially).

You could look at some price charts (http://www.dvcrequest.com/point_charts.asp) to see how many you'd need, and desired location for your family size.

Then you could watch for a rather small contract at the resort you prefer (much less than 150, which is not small), then combine years through banking and borrowing to stay on points every 2 or 3 years.

This would give you all the member benefits toward the other costs incurred during your trip (maybe a Tables in Wonderland card to reduce eating costs, good for 365 days: http://tablesinwonderland.com/#locations_nav; an annual pass at the DVC owners rate). You could still rent points for the years you aren't staying on points. This way you'd take advantage of owner's benefits, have lower maintenance fees to pay each year, and still have the flexibility you are currently enjoying with renting. It'd be a smaller up-front investment, and you could watch for points other owners are willing to transfer into your account... like renting but they'd be under your control.

The smaller contracts seem to sell much faster also, but that will change when they get closer to expiring (or their cost will depreciate substantially).

Going the smaller contract route might be a good idea. There's a lot to think about here. Thanks for all the information!

Renting works well for thousands of people. Cost savings without the issues and commitment of ownership.

:earsboy: Bill

I've been lurking on this board more than I probably should. ;)

We've been to Disney twice in the last two years, rented points both times. We're planning our third annual trip for this fall, and will also be renting points. We've rented from the same person all three times and have had no issues--it's a mutually beneficial relationship for sure.

But something has been nagging in the back of my head...like maybe we should just go ahead and buy ourselves. I'd definitely buy resale, but I just can't get past the commitment of it. We only go annually, and I can't see the frequency increasing. What if the kids start hating it? What if we start hating it? How many years do you think you have to get out of DVC before it's not "worth it" anymore, if that makes sense?

In my way of thinking, we pay about $2700/year for lodging by renting points (1 bedroom at BLT). If we went with a 250 point contract at VWL, we'd spend $16,250 if we paid $65/point. Taking into account MFs, we'd have to go annually for probably the next 15 years to "break even" when looking at the annualized cost of purchasing vs. renting points. While I love Disney, part of the reason (a big reason) for the way I feel is that my (very young) kids love it. I just can't wrap my head around going to the same place on vacation for the next 15 years (even though we'll have other vacations each year as well), especially if the kids stop loving it as they get older. But maybe they won't stop loving it because Disney will be one of their childhood traditions? Ugh.

Typing this out and doing the math, I think I've just talked myself into renting points forever instead of buying, but I am wondering how others got over the "commitment phobia" aspect of purchasing DVC.

In your situation I think you should continue to rent.

Everything in your post suggests to me that you are a perfect candidate for renting. DVC is for people who "know" deep down inside that they will continue to go to Disney from now until the end of time. Many DVC owners go multiple times per year and have a track record of doing this for many, many years. There's nothing wrong with that, and there's nothing wrong with being the opposite of that, as you are. If you have to worry about the commitment then you probably shouldn't commit. If you enjoy renting and are having success, no need to make a change just for the sake of change.

If you only visit once per year, renting may be a better option. We visit multiple times per year. I just priced out renting our reserved villas from David's for the 3 trips that we have booked for this year. If we rented points, it would cost us around $14,000 for the same villas for the same time period. Since we own the points, all we pay is the maintenance fees (plus the original resale price), which is significantly less for the stays. We would never be able to visit Disney so many times per year without owning our DVC points.

We have recently decided to downsize our DVC contracts, and listed one for sale. It was under contract in just a few days, and is selling for very close to what we paid for it 5 years ago. We have basically taken multiple vacations with those points for the last 5 years for the price of the maintenance fees only.

The commitment thing is tough for some people -- I'm with you in that boat. For me, it's less about "commitment" and more about feeling like I don't have options. I can choose to do the same thing over and over but I don't want to feel like I have to.

What helped me was deciding to buy small. A small contract gives you the option of staying at Mods (or off-site) on the years you don't have points, then doubling up on points to stay in a nice deluxe villa.

I like having the control of my reservation, looking at availability, getting discounts (20% on kids clubs, spa services, 10% on merchandise). And I can always transfer in additional points from another member if I need to and avoid that long-term commitment of those points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter