How are we not more outraged about these shootings?

I couldn't read all the responses... I'm sure someone said it, but this was obviously tragic.
That said, would it have happened if it were a white guy?? We may never know, and we shouldn't assume either way.
So, while obviously being a tragedy, it may have zero to do with race.

MG

No, it would not have because there wouldn't have been an automatic assumption that he was a dangerous guy. Heck, maybe 1.5 to two years ago, a suburban St Paul police officer pulled over a white guy for a minor traffic violation, and he (the officer) was gunned down and killed. The white guy was a bad guy, a real bad guy. But, the officer didn't feel threatened (obviously) because he approached him like it was a traffic stop. The opposite situation, but I think it speaks VOLUMES about the mindset of the average cop in this state. We have never had a case of a cop shooting a white guy during a traffic stop, at least to my memory (going back quite a few years as I am in my 50's), and lots and lots and lots of white guys carry guns in this state. Lots. So, how is it that this black man is dead? What was different?

No, this would not have happened had it been a white guy. I know there could be a lot of factors at play and we all want really badly to believe that race wasn't the major factor here. But, it was. And, sure, the natural tendency is to step back and deny it because it's uncomfortable and scary but at a certain point we as a society should stop doing that.

This could have happened to anyone of any race or ethnicity with a concealed carry permit.

This could have happened to anyone of any race or ethnicity with a concealed carry permit.

I suppose. But it has never happened before in this state, which is predominantly white, with an overwhelming number of gun owners. Gee, if it's just a random bunch of crap that can happen at any time, why is it that it just so happens to be a black guy the first time it happens. I believe race IS a factor and it's high time we acknowledge that white people get to live in a different world.

What you believe in is not the question. The questions were whether Miranda warnings were required or advisable, and the answers given are correct.

Let me ask you a question since you seem to like quizzes:

What does this have to do with a police officer shooting an African American man while he was reaching for his drivers license during a traffic stop? My post was regarding citizen rights and what I personally do to protect myself. I felt it was relevant to the conversation.

You seem stuck on mirandizing and when it is appropriate and on you being/proving you are right regarding that. Lets just assume you know more (and should if you were charged with the task of arresting people.) I don't claim to know more on the subject beyond what I personally need to know to protect my own rights. I won't be arresting anyone.

Back to this story and the important things. A black man was shot by the police and so far the only reason we know of was that he had a tail light out.

Last edited:

I haven't researched this case a lot but I do have some experience with similar cases. During medical school, I worked in my city's coroners office (one of the top 10 largest cities in the country). we did autopsies on mostly murder cases. I did autopsies on about 5 police officers all shot and killed on the job. Never once did an autopsy on someone killed by a police officer. I also spent a lot of time in court assisting the physicians who performed the autopsy testifying. Usually when people are shot and killed by an officer there is a valid reason for it. I'll leave it at that

I'm editing to add that if a homicide is suspected the state requires an autopsy to be done

I suppose. But it has never happened before in this state, which is predominantly white, with an overwhelming number of gun owners. Gee, if it's just a random bunch of crap that can happen at any time, why is it that it just so happens to be a black guy the first time it happens. I believe race IS a factor and it's high time we acknowledge that white people get to live in a different world.

I'm sorry this is the worst argument for police against brutality against black people I have ever heard. When that is all you got, you've got nothing.

It may have never happened in other states either. Still doesn't make it about race.
Its about a police officer who had a knee jerk reaction to a person complying with his request. But I'm not going to try to change anyone's mind. The people who believe this is about race won't acknowledge that it could have happened to anyone of any race.

David Frances Michael Jr - not seeing any outraged posts about him

I agree. I was just responding to the poster who said that no single negative thing had been said. In fact with that many violations you would think the police would know who he was before pulling him over and would have known any risk factor.

Traffic violations don't make someone a bad person to me just a possible bad driver. Also why does it even matter if be prior arrests or anything? What happened to people seeving their time and getting another chance? Unless his record includes a tendency to perform violent acts and act out against authority then it doesn't really matter in this situation. So he is 32 lets take the highest number I have heard which is 50 traffic violations. Assuming he started driving at 16 that is an average of 3 to 4 a year. Readimg this list many of them were minor and violations I have commited myself and was just lucky that as a white female I wasn't likely to be pulled over. The one time in my life I have actually been pulled over the privilege I had as a white female in a small southern Texas town meant it was erased from my record completely when I spoke with the judge. The ticket went away like it never exsists. My friends who are hispanic and black were not as lucky. Whe the rest of us got sent home to have our parents deal with us they got tickets and juvinile detention when they couldn't pay.

Last edited:
I'll acknowledge that it could have happened to anyone of any race. That doesn't mean that this specific case isn't about race.

You may be the exception and not the rule.
And I don't disagree, this case could be about race, or it could be a police officer making a mistake.
There are those who are able to see that, and those who will only see it one way.

No, this would not have happened had it been a white guy. I know there could be a lot of factors at play and we all want really badly to believe that race wasn't the major factor here. But, it was. And, sure, the natural tendency is to step back and deny it because it's uncomfortable and scary but at a certain point we as a society should stop doing that.
How do you know???
I think that's pure speculation, especially seeing as though the authorities don't know that yet. Let's not jump to conclusions.

MG

If you are so outraged about his death why not make the post yourself? People can be hurt and outraged over more than one death at a time. It is just like Blacklivesmatter does not mean that any others don't.

The problem is that the media doesn't make a big deal about when an officer kills a white man. Instead, the media makes a huge deal about when an officer kills a black man.

No, it would not have because there wouldn't have been an automatic assumption that he was a dangerous guy. Heck, maybe 1.5 to two years ago, a suburban St Paul police officer pulled over a white guy for a minor traffic violation, and he (the officer) was gunned down and killed. The white guy was a bad guy, a real bad guy. But, the officer didn't feel threatened (obviously) because he approached him like it was a traffic stop. The opposite situation, but I think it speaks VOLUMES about the mindset of the average cop in this state. We have never had a case of a cop shooting a white guy during a traffic stop, at least to my memory (going back quite a few years as I am in my 50's), and lots and lots and lots of white guys carry guns in this state. Lots. So, how is it that this black man is dead? What was different?
So, the justice department has yet to start their civil rights investigation, yet you have already come to a conclusion...

Good work!!

MG

How does Roof leave a church, not a scratch on him. These men killed? explain, discuss? A male who has shot an killed 9 people leaves an area, walking. These men, dead. One for a broken tail light? Possessing a license to carry? Where is the NRA? That means anyone with a license to carry can now be shot if they have a tail light out.

That piece of garbage is still alive because he's white.

I couldn't read all the responses... I'm sure someone said it, but this was obviously tragic.
That said, would it have happened if it were a white guy?? We may never know, and we shouldn't assume either way.
So, while obviously being a tragedy, it may have zero to do with race.

MG
I want to live in your world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter