Should we do Hoop-Dee-Doo?

• Yes

Votes: 46 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

TheOneWithTheTriplets

DIS Veteran
I'm travelling with my 5 year old girls in February and questioning my dining choices.

Hoop-Dee-Doo is one that I bypassed initially. It's a terrible use of 2 dining plan credits, transport isn't awesome to get back to the Boardwalk, and there were other meals that we were excited about.

Except, 'Ohana has such hit-or-miss reviews. Now, with the reported change to curried fried rice over noodles, I'm going to be that person asking for mac and cheese for my kids instead of them eating what is served, assuming the change sticks. The other meal it would replace, since it's two credits, is Hollywood & Vine. We have Tusker and Garden Grill already on the agenda, so it's nearly all duplicated characters, anyway. Plus, it's also very hit or miss with the reviews.

In terms of the DDP, while HDD is a terrible use of two credits, it would be the difference between us saving $800 OOP versus $1,000 OOP (three Disney kids, tons of character meals) so I'm not sure that I really care that much. With all of the AYCTE we'll be eating, I can't see us needing more than 3 QS credits a meal at our other meals (we usually only order 3-4 meals for the 5 of us anyway). Even with losing a TS meal, we should be fine feeding ourselves on the QS and snacks without having to come OOP. Perhaps, we'll be the first family in the history of Disney coming home claiming that the DDP wasn't too much food :-).

For transport, we'd be coming on an MK morning. Originally, the plan was to monorail to 'Ohana, but a boat to FW isn't that much different. In either case, it's two transfers to get back to our resort. If it's storming, though, we're talking about a resort bus and then an internal bus to get in and out, which would stink. For reference, on our 10 day trip (9 park days) we're doing MKx4, EPx2, HSx2 and AK with TS at CP, CRT, Tusker, Trattoria bfast, Akershus, and GG for our other meals.

The big thing that has me questioning myself is that my five year olds LOVE stage shows and live music. They love going to local children's theater productions, have memorized the shows at Sesame Place (we have season passes) and still request to do them every visit, and will stop to listen to a street performer every single time. On the other hand, they have never heard of HDD and wouldn't know what they were missing, so it's not like they'll be disappointed if we don't go.

With all of that in mind, would you call HDD a must for our family? Even with the transit being annoying, and the credit use being poor, and missing 'Ohana and H&V, is the show that good for musical-loving little girls who want to be singers, dancers, and dentists (lofty goals, I know!) when they grow up?

Given your girls are musical lovers, I would say HDDR is a must-do! It's really fun and interactive. Honestly, given your description of your girls, I think substituting H&V and O'hana for HDDR is a good choice. I would recommend heading over to Ft. W a little early so they can walk around the WDW stables as well. If they are small enough, they can even take a pony ride. Ft. W is so much fun!

Yes, coming or going to Ft. W from anywhere but MK, CR and WL is kind of a pain, but I think it will be worth it. You can take a boat back to MK then a bus to BWI or, you might want to consider splurging for a Minnie Van this night as they will pick you up right at the Settlement and you won't have to take multiple forms of transportation.

The big thing that has me questioning myself is that my five year olds LOVE stage shows and live music.
Then Hoop-De-Doo is a must do.

Spirit of Aloha is good, too. I'm sure they will enjoy it. Since transportation is a top concern for you perhaps that one is better. But I second DisneyWishes14 - given your girl's love of music and live stage shows HDDR is a must do.

We decided a few years ago to give HDD a try after a few trips doing other dining options. We just got back from our vacation and saw HDD for the 4th time and all our kids love it. It is now the only dining that all three of our kids request every year.

Kutzfam has the other side of the point I was about to make. If you are going to return to wdw, you might wanna do hddr after this trip. Because it sounds like your fam will definitely want to do it again. The girls sound like they would love it.

If you go, make SURE they are hungry. Don't be that fam that feeds the kids all the snacks they want before a 70.00 meal, and wonders why they aren't eating. Get your money's worth.

Given your girls are musical lovers, I would say HDDR is a must-do! It's really fun and interactive. Honestly, given your description of your girls, I think substituting H&V and O'hana for HDDR is a good choice. I would recommend heading over to Ft. W a little early so they can walk around the WDW stables as well. If they are small enough, they can even take a pony ride. Ft. W is so much fun!

Yes, coming or going to Ft. W from anywhere but MK, CR and WL is kind of a pain, but I think it will be worth it. You can take a boat back to MK then a bus to BWI or, you might want to consider splurging for a Minnie Van this night as they will pick you up right at the Settlement and you won't have to take multiple forms of transportation.

Unfortunately, with three kids under 40lb, we need 3 car seats / booster seats so we'd have to splurge on 2 mini vans. I can't talk myself into that cost to save perhaps an hour on the way back. Darn third child!

If you go, make SURE they are hungry. Don't be that fam that feeds the kids all the snacks they want before a 70.00 meal, and wonders why they aren't eating. Get your money's worth.

Out of curiosity, have you ever been outnumbered by hungry preschoolers? One says she's hungry, then all three realize they can't possibly take another step without further sustenance!

In all seriousness, some days my kids eat like teenage boys trying to bulk up and others they exist exclusively on a diet of fresh fruit and salad. I never know what I'm going to get, so I just choose to accept that I'm dropping the money whether they take three bites or ask for thirds.

While I know the approximate math makes HDD less than the assumed value of 2 dining credits - you get SO MUCH Bang for your buck, that I'd say it's still worth the dining credits unless you have something specific you'd rather use them for. Then I'd pay OOP for it and use the credits on something else.

It's a great stage show, all you can eat AND drink, and overall just a wonderful experience. I booked it with hesitation when we brought my 10 and 8 year old boys...and two years later they STILL rave about how much fun it is.

We have been to WDW countless times and never did HDR until a few years ago... now we've gone twice! It is fun and the food is really good- the fried chicken is some of the best on property and the mac 'n cheese is surely worth asking for (with no questions asked). That said, let me share some potential down-sides:
-the humor is not geared toward children a la Sesame Place, and although "G" rated, may not have the same impact on your kids. Also, the food may not be to your children's liking (there isn't pizza, etc. and not everyone likes strawberry shortcake). For these reasons, plus your worry about 2 dining credits and the long-distance may be reasons enough to skip HDR this trip (guilt-free). It may make sense to wait until your children are just a bit older!

The first dinner we ever had at WDW was at HDDR on the 4th of July. Perfect setting, tasty comfort food and the kids (then ages 11 and 8) now ask to return there every subsequent trip whether we are on the dining plan or not.
Sounds like you are staying at an Epcot area hotel so an alternative transport route is to take the boat back to MK, switch to the monorail to Epcot and then walk up to the IG and chose either another boat or walk back to your hotel with BWI being the closest and YC/BC adding another 10-15 minutes in walking time. Great in the early evening when the weather is nice.

The first dinner we ever had at WDW was at HDDR on the 4th of July. Perfect setting, tasty comfort food and the kids (then ages 11 and 8) now ask to return there every subsequent trip whether we are on the dining plan or not.
Sounds like you are staying at an Epcot area hotel so an alternative transport route is to take the boat back to MK, switch to the monorail to Epcot and then walk up to the IG and chose either another boat or walk back to your hotel with BWI being the closest and YC/BC adding another 10-15 minutes in walking time. Great in the early evening when the weather is nice.

We won't have hoppers so transferring through Epcot won't work for us. I appreciate the idea, though :-)

I have not done Hoop-Dee-Doo because it doesn't appeal to me (although I love Fort Wilderness). However, I can say that my kids really enjoyed Spirit of Aloha and have asked to do it again, so that's something to consider if the transportation is easier for you.

P.S. It looks like the noodles are back at Ohana... so you might just want to stick with your original plan!

P.S. It looks like the noodles are back at Ohana... so you might just want to stick with your original plan!

I just saw that update as well. Thanks!

Though the noodles were a significant push in the direction of dropping 'Ohana, I have been second guessing that and Hollywood & Vine for a while now. It's only recently that I started to think that HDDR would be a viable alternative. I was worried about stretching my QS too thin but, really, we aren't gong to need more than a couple of QS dinners on days where we've had a big lunch, especially if we want to save room for yummy dessert snack credits.

We're really excited to try HDDR with our 3 yr old grandson this month. In all the years we've been with our own children the logistics of getting there have scared me away. That's the one time I'm sure we'll grab a minie van. Just the three of us though. I think because of the entertainment that it's a great value on the DDP, especially considering you have so many TS ADRs! We're staying at the Poly for the first time and have never not been to 'Ohana. I've almost changed our reservations several times but have decided to wait until we get there to make a decision! Enjoy your amazing trip with your family.

Easiest transportation is by boat from MK, then short walk up to Pioneer Hall. Be sure to put kids on same side of table. Explain before hand that they will need to share surprise at the end. They pass out washboards to play so they can share with no tears. Last time I went I was solo. Table next to me had kids that wanted to each have their own, so stop some tears I gave them mine.

My wife and I (we are in our late 60's) did HDDR for the first time last summer. We enjoyed the show and food and would recommend it for kids of all ages!!!!!!

We have LOVED the Hoop Dee Doo Revue since our first visit in 2011, and have returned every visit since - it’s such fun! The show itself is corny, comedic, and engaging for all ages. The food is basic, but hearty and filling. The first two times we used the DDP to pay - I’m not sure if they still offer category one seating if you go to the later show, but that may be worth considering if so. We were put right up at the front both times.

It is harder to get to the HDDR than most places, but I’m guessing you could get the boat there from MK? I’d just make sure to allow lots of time to get there, and you should be fine!

I would unquestionably do it. We took our daughter when she was 5 and it to this day is her favorite place on property. You cannot beat the vintage Disney fun of the show and the food is great too. We're going again next month as it was the one and only thing my daughter wanted to do for her now 8th birthday.

As for transportation it is a bit of a pain but you could go at the end of an MK day for a quick bus trip or just take your resort bus to MK and then boat from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter