Hoop De Doo...Any hope for March?

I think the main thing holding this show up is that Disney will likely need to negotiate with Actor's Equity to get a special accommodation.

Equity currently has very strict covid safety rules. The fact that audiences are un-masked and eating at Hoop Dee Doo presents a major hurdle. As it stands now, performers are not supposed to come within 10 feet of audience members. There is a workaround to the rule if both performer and audience members are masked...but I'm not sure that would work for this show. So I imagine one of the following scenarios for HDDR's reopening:

1. All audience participation is removed for the time being. Performers no longer come out into the audience.
2. Performers only come out into the audience at specific times where audience members would be required to put masks on. Perhaps at the start of the show before food is served?
3. Disney works with Equity to get a special exception to their audience interaction rules. Even in this case, we should expect modifications.
Thanks for explaining the Equity rules. I knew it wasn't that Disney just didn't want to reopen this show and that Actors Equity had requirements to protect their members but didn't know what the actual requirements were.

I really don’t think it will be back until fall at the earliest and even that is very iffy.
safety for the performers and guests come first thankfully.

They have been working on pioneer hall everyday we have been here so far . 2 weeks now . It's up to staffing and covid precautions now . Pioneer Hall will be ready . They have to "fill the house" for it to be profitable !

Doesn't seem likely for our March trip but we will be back...one consolation for my hubby is that Indiana Jones has reopened. We're DVC and as of now have a chock full of points to use...thinks of booking for December 2022 next!

Just to continue down this wishful rabbit hole...before California Grill reopened a date was posted for them in the same way and it really did open by that date. The official Disney announcement came just a few days later. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed. What site is that? Open Table?

Updates from NYC

Eric Adams announced that mandates for indoor masking and proof of vaccination will be ending March 7th (as long as numbers dont suddenly spike between now and then). This is important for Hoop Dee Doo for several reasons:
Entertainment venues are specifically pinpointed in this mandate. So Broadway theaters, Off-Broadway, concert halls, arenas etc. Actors Equity (the main hold up for Hoop Dee Doo getting back online due to their current safety requirements) is the union for theater actors, and NYC is their home base. So the end of the mandate is going to launch a flurry of discussions and rule changes. Now make no mistake: After March 7th, we will still be wearing masks and providing proof of vaccinations at Broadway houses. The Broadway League previously extended their guidance on this through April 30th. It is likely that the current guidelines are removed, or at least significantly altered after that date. But the unions need to sign off on changes to these rules before masking and vaccinations are removed from the equation.

What happens in New York ripples out to the rest of the union and affects actors and contracts and rules for theaters all over the country. So the renewed examination of safety practices which will be necessitated by the mandate going away and the April 30th deadline approaching will give Disney a perfect window to negotiate. Well, if they even need to. It's possible a solution will be worked out without Disney needing to ask for any special accommodation. So hopefully this means our favorite dinner show can get back on stage starting in May! If not performing by that time, I definitely predict it will at least be "eligible" to return as far as AEA is concerned.

I assume the first week of May is out of the question now? I haven't heard any firm update yet...

Ok , here we go ....... take this for what you will .
We are at Fort Wilderness right now , have a 2 week stay in our RV . Last evening (1/25) we went down to grab some food at the food trucks that are available at the Fort Tuesday's and Wednesdays . The Wife went inside to fill up our mugs with some soda to drink at P&J's and heard some noise going on next door and a strong smell of varnish or something coming from next door at HDDR . (I was outside waiting with the dog , wondering what happened up her, lol ) A manager (?) ( named Kelly) came out from the door , and noticed she was curious on what was going on next door . He invited her over into the HDDR for a quick tour and showed her all the progress and COMPLETE refurbishment going on inside HDDR . He said they were in the process of re-varnishing everything inside ( EXCEPT for the podium he stressed which has remained the same since 1974 ) . She saw it all ! He also demonstrated the new lighting system they installed for the show ( was very proud of it) . He said that the HDDR would be re-opening very soon . Cast members will need 6-9 weeks of rehearsals and they were waiting until mask mandates were lifted a little more so they can "fill the house" when they open . He did not give an opening date , but was very excited to share that it WILL be opening very soon . He also encouraged her to "spread the word" !
March is prob. a little too optimistic , but it is coming back ..... soon !
Will be at the Fort for 2 weeks so will check in on it again throughout our stay .
With the post above I think we can put to bed that far fetched rumor regarding a Blue Grass performance taking over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter