Homeschool Chat Part III

Wow...I guess I am just surprised that so many people are so defensive about the school systems and the "correct" way to educate children. How do you handle this?

I have had several instances since we moved here of people emphatically defending the schools here, like I am insulting them by homeschooling my children.

My husband is a certified middle school math/science and ESE teacher and my degree and career are more toward English and the arts. We are both highly trained in the needs of children with autism and have worked very hard at decoding our son with autism, and my 17yo daughter is old enough to know whether she prefers virtual school over brick and morter. We are doing what works for us! :headache:

I don't know much about the homeschooling experience since we are just now delving into it. I will say though, I have received a great deal of criticism about our decision, from family, friends, co-workers etc. I will admit that in the beginning it worried me and made me question my decisions, but at the end of the day I know that this is my child, I know her better than anyone else and I know what being in the public school system was doing to her.

I think it has to do with people just being narrow minded and also misinformed. You say HOMESCHOOL and most people have this picture in their mind of this particular lifestyle- almost DUGGAResque. (I mean no disrespect to anyone by this) I think people just naturally oppose anything that is out of the norm. I don't know.

Forgot to add----> Lucigo- I am from Pensacola, Fl and have many friends that live in the Pensacola, Pace and Milton area.

I don't know how to multi-quote but I want to let everyone know that I thank you for your thoughts, advice, kinds words, and advice. I have always been able to rely on my dis family to give me an honest opinion.

I am at home on FMLA at the moment, and we will begin our studies next week. I haven't decided whether or not I am going back to work, I am trying to let my daughter adjust and decompress at the moment. We will revisit this in a week or two.

Thanks guys!!

I don't know much about the homeschooling experience since we are just now delving into it. I will say though, I have received a great deal of criticism about our decision, from family, friends, co-workers etc. I will admit that in the beginning it worried me and made me question my decisions, but at the end of the day I know that this is my child, I know her better than anyone else and I know what being in the public school system was doing to her.

I think it has to do with people just being narrow minded and also misinformed. You say HOMESCHOOL and most people have this picture in their mind of this particular lifestyle- almost DUGGAResque. (I mean no disrespect to anyone by this) I think people just naturally oppose anything that is out of the norm. I don't know.

When we started homeschooling my oldest (8, he has Autism) I was on the receiving end of a lot of criticism from family, friends and everyone else. I still receive comments from people in the special needs community, that either have children with special needs or work with children with special needs.

For one, society tells us that you have kids, they turn five and you send them to school, very few people question this. For two, teachers may go to school to learn to teach, but they also learn to manage a classroom, deal with tests and superiors...they cannot teach to each individual child's strengths and weaknesses, they cannot necessarily bend their curriculum to work for each child. Many people do not realize this until they either have a child who is being let down by the system or until they take a very close look at what their child may be able to accomplish in a different environment.

My oldest (with autism) was not only not learning anything, but he developed extremely high anxiety, started regressing and showing very alarming behaviors because of the school system, I was not about to let anyone tell me that he was better off in school than at home with me.

I once was one that cared very much about what other people thought and I was terrified to tell anyone when we decided to pull my youngest out of public school as well. But I have since learnt to take on a more "screw the world" attitude to it all. I am proud to say that I was not thrilled when (public) school started again and I was the only one of my friends saying that I was dreading sending my youngest off to school. I was much less concerned with having the day to myself and much more concerned with the thought that my child was going to be sitting there for 7 hours a day, being held back from reaching his potential.

I completely respect other parents decision to send their kids to public school, I even find it funny when they say they don't have the patience or aren't disciplined enough to stick with it. It's fine, I get that...I just didn't have the patience to fight with adults on how they need to teach my children anymore, I would much rather do it myself.

We are all ultimately responsible for our own children and regardless of the decisions we make and who may not agree with them, we are doing what we feel is best. Eventually people learn not to comment about it anymore when they realize it won't change your mind.

Hugs!!

Forgot to add----> Lucigo- I am from Pensacola, Fl and have many friends that live in the Pensacola, Pace and Milton area.

I know exactly what you mean! How do you like Virginia? I'm finding it a bit cold LOL

When we started homeschooling my oldest (8, he has Autism) I was on the receiving end of a lot of criticism from family, friends and everyone else. I still receive comments from people in the special needs community, that either have children with special needs or work with children with special needs.

For one, society tells us that you have kids, they turn five and you send them to school, very few people question this. For two, teachers may go to school to learn to teach, but they also learn to manage a classroom, deal with tests and superiors...they cannot teach to each individual child's strengths and weaknesses, they cannot necessarily bend their curriculum to work for each child. Many people do not realize this until they either have a child who is being let down by the system or until they take a very close look at what their child may be able to accomplish in a different environment.

My oldest (with autism) was not only not learning anything, but he developed extremely high anxiety, started regressing and showing very alarming behaviors because of the school system, I was not about to let anyone tell me that he was better off in school than at home with me.

I once was one that cared very much about what other people thought and I was terrified to tell anyone when we decided to pull my youngest out of public school as well. But I have since learnt to take on a more "screw the world" attitude to it all. I am proud to say that I was not thrilled when (public) school started again and I was the only one of my friends saying that I was dreading sending my youngest off to school. I was much less concerned with having the day to myself and much more concerned with the thought that my child was going to be sitting there for 7 hours a day, being held back from reaching his potential.

I completely respect other parents decision to send their kids to public school, I even find it funny when they say they don't have the patience or aren't disciplined enough to stick with it. It's fine, I get that...I just didn't have the patience to fight with adults on how they need to teach my children anymore, I would much rather do it myself.

We are all ultimately responsible for our own children and regardless of the decisions we make and who may not agree with them, we are doing what we feel is best. Eventually people learn not to comment about it anymore when they realize it won't change your mind.

Hugs!!

I can relate very well to your post. At first I wasn't even sure that I knew what my son needed, or if I had the patience to make it work, and if I could find a balance with having him home 24/7. He started therapy at 18 months,and went into the school system at age 3. I am very grateful for the socialization he received and in my opinion up to this point that was worth sending him to school. But now (3rd grade) school is much more about academics and much less about socialization. We are finding what works, and its NOT sitting in a classroom with 20 other kids. It involves animated computer lessons, lots of standing, moving around, frequent breaks, and knowing when you can do a little more and when you are DONE for the day. It involves lots of trips into the community even though he always says he doesn't want to go, but has fun once he is out!

The funny thing I have realized is I have quite a shell regarding his autism, the looks and comments, etc. Those people I shrug off as ignorant. Guess I was just surprised to find there is such an emotional response with homeschooling. Now we have a double whammy! LOL

Mouseketeer67 said:
Are there any other homeschool veterans here?

What would you consider a veteran? This is our 4th year and sometimes it feels like old hat and sometimes it feels like we're starting at day 1! ;)

We have found a very non-traditional approach to work for us, allowing lots of breaks and down-time for my kids. My curriculum is quite rigorous (including Latin) and we accomplish more than any traditional school could in a day...but that also means we take frequent breaks to prevent burn out. It's not a race or a competition--I'm not trying to raise a super-kid, just a thoughtful, respectful, active citizen. We are also religious, so we fit in Bible, as well.

I've read so many of your stories, and I just want to say to all the new homeschoolers or parents considering it: good for you! You CAN do it!

Anyone use Sonlight? We are just about finished with Core B (history/readers/LA) and I need more content. I mentioned to DH that we are going to have to buy the next Core soon, and he said, "Nah, you don't need curriculum..." So I thought about it. Readers and LA I can craft from the library and my experience as a teacher (I'm certified elem ed and English). We have half a year of science and math left, and I can easily supplement that. She's working a grade above already, so there's no worry in "getting behind." I am completely lost on history and need at least the order in which to read my CHOW, UBW, and Time Traveler. And, I'd like the continue her handwriting course. I thought about visiting a neighbor who has the IG for B/C and writing down the order. But then I look at Sonlight's website and all the books and stuff look so yummy for my brain!!! Thoughts?

Anyone use Sonlight? We are just about finished with Core B (history/readers/LA) and I need more content. I mentioned to DH that we are going to have to buy the next Core soon, and he said, "Nah, you don't need curriculum..." So I thought about it. Readers and LA I can craft from the library and my experience as a teacher (I'm certified elem ed and English). We have half a year of science and math left, and I can easily supplement that. She's working a grade above already, so there's no worry in "getting behind." I am completely lost on history and need at least the order in which to read my CHOW, UBW, and Time Traveler. And, I'd like the continue her handwriting course. I thought about visiting a neighbor who has the IG for B/C and writing down the order. But then I look at Sonlight's website and all the books and stuff look so yummy for my brain!!! Thoughts?

I'm not really a veteran, only done this for 2 years now, but if Sonlight is what excites you then I would definitely go ahead and get them. You will need them next year anyway right? and can you sell them once you are done with them? I'm all for doing what works!

I'm not really a veteran, only done this for 2 years now, but if Sonlight is what excites you then I would definitely go ahead and get them. You will need them next year anyway right? and can you sell them once you are done with them? I'm all for doing what works!

This is my second year, and we are fairly certain we are sending her back to school next year. So, no, I wouldn't need it next year. We pulled her because she wasn't being challenged in public school, but by 3rd grade we think the learning gaps won't be quite so huge...plus, they group the kids by ability for math & reading.

But thank you for your response! :)

Haha I know the feeling, mine are age 17 and 9.

My first was headed off to college (after being homeschooled K-12) when I found out we were having child no. 4! We are starting K with him this Jan. I started homeschooling in 1993!

I can relate very well to your post. At first I wasn't even sure that I knew what my son needed, or if I had the patience to make it work, and if I could find a balance with having him home 24/7. He started therapy at 18 months,and went into the school system at age 3. I am very grateful for the socialization he received and in my opinion up to this point that was worth sending him to school. But now (3rd grade) school is much more about academics and much less about socialization. We are finding what works, and its NOT sitting in a classroom with 20 other kids. It involves animated computer lessons, lots of standing, moving around, frequent breaks, and knowing when you can do a little more and when you are DONE for the day. It involves lots of trips into the community even though he always says he doesn't want to go, but has fun once he is out!

The funny thing I have realized is I have quite a shell regarding his autism, the looks and comments, etc. Those people I shrug off as ignorant. Guess I was just surprised to find there is such an emotional response with homeschooling. Now we have a double whammy! LOL

I get the socialization aspect...a few people tried to tell me that he needs the socialization from school, but while he was in first grade in the PS, he was terrified of the other kids, he was already so wound up from whatever else wasn't going right that he couldn't manage talking or playing with any of the other kids. He was existing among them, but not able to interact with them. Now that his anxiety level has come back down, he can interact with others in a more natural way and he has made strides in that area. I love being able to work parts of our day around what he needs...doing more math one day because he is really enjoying it, continuing a science lesson for longer because he is engaged, doing work in the backyard where his attention is more focused, having him learn how to talk to other people in a more natural environment (neighbors, librarian, store employees, field trips, etc). Not having to place him in a cookie cutter system that he can't fit into, but being able to make a mold just for him.

And yes a big double whammy...we don't fit with most groups because we have a child with Autism and we don't fit with others because we home school, it can sometimes feel very lonely. But, I do what I can and in 10-20 years I want to be able to say that I did what I needed to do and not have any regrets!

I LOVE your signature btw!!

Are there any other homeschool veterans here?

Just found this thread! We are in our 7th year. We pulled our oldest ( now 18) out in 6th grade..and graduated him from home. He's now working full time as a machinist.

We have 3 others in 5th,3rd and 1st grades. Some days I feel like I know exactly what i am doing..some days I feel like I don't have a clue still..lol

I would consider myself a vet. We homeschooled for 10 years, and I will be taking my son (9) who has Aspbergers and autism out after 5th grade to hs him. There's no way I'm putting him in middle school, I've heard too many horrid tales from our middle school.

This thread is great...lots of good info and support :)

I have used almost all of the SL cores. (We didn't use pre-school because it didn't exist back then, and we did the combined world history called Alt. 7 instead of 2-year version). I now have two students in high school who are working on a combination of Cores 100, 200 and 400.

It took me a little while to convince myself to buy the cores back when I first started. I also have a Master's in Elem. Ed. and figured "I can do this on my own". I kept drooling over the other cores that were a bit beyond our reach at the time and figured I would just wait and begin with those. After 6 months of doing it on my own, I caved and bought SL K (sorry I can't seem to translate to the new core names). I have not regretted it for ONE MINUTE. I have loved reading to my girls, we have learned so much together, and I am amazed at how much they have retained from this curriculum. I would not hesitate one bit to buy the next core and move ahead. If you get to the point where your child's age/ability are not ready for the next core, you could take some time for other studies. (We did break a couple times to do KONOS unit studies.) If money is the issue, you could probably find used cores or just by the IG and gather the books on your own. I know that many SL users do that. I, on the other hand, still have every single SL book on my shelves at home. It's quite a collection. (Ok- there is one book that I let someone borrow and I haven't seen it in several years.)

I guess I should have looked ahead to see if you had responded since your original post. I hope you find what works best for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter