Holy Cow! - Disney is making it impossible for me to live like no one else.

summersalt

DIS Veteran
Free dining and free airline tickets for my 20 year service award. Help me say no!! I have an $1800 snowball that needs to go to Capital One not Disney!!

Even with the free dining and free airline tickets you still end up paying rack rates for the resort + tickets, etc. I know it is tempting, but I think if you added it all up you would be amazed at how much the free airline tickets and free dining will really cost you! :scared1:

Ok this may sound harsh but you asked for help... DISNEY isn't making you do anything. YOU are responsible for your behaivor.

Oh those Disney Math Skills! They can cause such commotion of the brain.

Disney has offered free dinning for the last few years and most likely will next year too. Can you use your air tickets in 2011? That gives you a whole year to plan (which is fun) and great incentive to "love like no ones else". You would have both the reward of the trip and be so proud of your ability to wait and do it "right".

I'm with the previous poster. Can you save the air and use it next year? I'm sure they don't expect you to use it immediately. Pay the debt down and then go!

Ang

I don't think the OP was being entirely seriously with the comment about disney forcing her to do anything. I would say there's a million other places to go with those free airline tickets. Without paying a small fortune to be there. That is if you have to use those tickets this year.

I don't think she was serious either; but when you're tempted to do somethin not in the budget, a small justification like that can be a huge budget buster.

I have been given the opportunity to go to WDW 3 different times this year (from Memorial Day to Christmas). I would love love to go BUT DH and I have set financial goals and know that we cannot meet our financial goals if I went just once to WDW this year.

If it helps OP to know that this is what we do - print your financial goals on paper where you can see it (on fridge, on door as you leave to go to work, printed small to keep at your desk when co-workers invite you to go have lunch with them, etc. Having goal of paying off 3 credit cards by December is printed where I can see and it helps keep me on track. Of course some days are easier then others. KWIM

A few years ago, we won a "free" 7-day cruise. By the time we were done, it ended up costing about $3,000. Don't be fooled by all the offers. If you can't truly afford it, don't go. Better to let the free tickets go to waste than to spend money you don't have to use the tickets.

OP, you've launched an interesting topic. It puts into perspective my trying to justify a quick trip to WDW because I have a $75 Southwest credit. I KNOW I can't justify what it will cost so I don't lose the $75, but it still tempts me.

This reminds me of a heated (well, slightly warm) debate we had at a snowy airport when the airline was offering money and flights to people willing to give up their seats. My older son wanted to, my younger one strongly didn't. Although I was tempted to side with my older son, I kept reminding myself that "free" airline tickets for a family of four would be an expensive gift.

When I am tempted to take advantage of a deal I try to remember these wise words from my DH:

A dozen elephants for a nickel is only a deal if you have a nickel and need a dozen elephants.

I dont know your situation, but at somepoint you have to allow yourself to have some FUN.

You cant live you life always planning for the future and saving for this or that, since that future may never come. The only thing we can be sure of is today.

It is good to plan and save but at somepoint you also need to enjoy the present and make good memories with those you love today.

Take a look at your finances and if you can swing it (and not occur new interest bearing debt) then go and have fun and dont worry about what Dave Ramsey would tell you to do.

A few years ago, we won a "free" 7-day cruise. By the time we were done, it ended up costing about $3,000. Don't be fooled by all the offers. If you can't truly afford it, don't go. Better to let the free tickets go to waste than to spend money you don't have to use the tickets.

OK. I have to know... how did THAT add up?? Flights plus what? Did they get you for port charges and tax, too?

OK. I have to know... how did THAT add up?? Flights plus what? Did they get you for port charges and tax, too?

The free cruise was for 2 people. There are 3 of us, so we had to pay regular fair for DD. Then we needed airfare and ground transportation plus parking at the airport. Port charges and gratuities. Shore excursions, souvenirs, photos, a drink or two.

We also had to pay income tax on the declared value of the prize.

I dont know your situation, but at somepoint you have to allow yourself to have some FUN.

You cant live you life always planning for the future and saving for this or that, since that future may never come. The only thing we can be sure of is today.

It is good to plan and save but at somepoint you also need to enjoy the present and make good memories with those you love today.

Take a look at your finances and if you can swing it (and not occur new interest bearing debt) then go and have fun and dont worry about what Dave Ramsey would tell you to do.

NO do not! You have worked so hard to get $1800 and have it really make a difference in your debt- don't spend it on something that keeps you further from your goals.
I think everyone here feels like the OP where we just want to do something just because we WANT to but being an adult means DOING the right thing- even if very hard. You will feel so good seeing less debt!

1800$ isn't that hard to earn again. If it's going to be paid off at the end of the year, that's six months of saving.

Now if she takes six months of savings for a vacation, then that could mean 8 or more months of paying off the credit card.

Next year's free dining will be just as a grand ol time as this year.

Now if you had a bounce back free dining with free airline tickets... That would be a different story cause you'd be getting a major discount on the room, and you could enjoy dining at the resorts instead of in the parks. Well one park ticket, plus three or four night could be the cheapest disney trip yet.

A dozen elephants for a nickel is only a deal if you have a nickel and need a dozen elephants.

:rotfl:

OP, I'd pay that money to the CC company and then take a look at the disney deal. Or just pretend you've already spent it. And see if the deal is worth the future sacrifice.

I was just in San Diego visiting my brother, not 2 hours from Disneyland. I held back our "snowball" "just in case". We did NOT go to Disneyland. We stayed strong! I'm taking that money to Chase today to put it towards the car (approx 1/4 of the principal we have left, woo!). Paying that money feels SO much better than a short (or long, but the snowball would only fund a short one) trip to Disneyland would have felt (and if you'd told me a year ago that I would say that I would have laughed and laughed).

I'm sure you're already have fun even while saving that...we have a relatively low "fun" fund, but we find more things to do per month with that bit of money than we ever found before with "unlimited" fun money!

NO do not! You have worked so hard to get $1800 and have it really make a difference in your debt- don't spend it on something that keeps you further from your goals.
I think everyone here feels like the OP where we just want to do something just because we WANT to but being an adult means DOING the right thing- even if very hard. You will feel so good seeing less debt!

perhaps, but you can't live your life always looking at some future date and deprive yourself (family) of any good times or memories today.

There is a fine line between saving saving saving or spending spending spending and the key is to find that balance. You want to be able to enjoy your retirement (so you will need to save), but for many people that time might never come or you might not have your health to enjoy it....and then find yourself wishing you had made some memories when you were younger.

Again...I dont know her situation in terms of age, health or 401K balance...but saving saving saving might not always be the right answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter