Hold on tight to your kids!

While not discounting the terrifying experience of being separated from your child, Disney World is one of the places I would despair the least if that were to happen.

I'm also a former monkey/leash user and been on the receiving end of others' disdain. They can go play in a microwave for all I care. I'm keeping tabs on my kids while being able to keep my eyes up, and it benefits everyone.

I dressed my daughter and I in matching colours when she was younger as it was a very quick way to know what colour she was wearing.

One thing that has always struck me at WDW (and which I think id a great idea) is when there are ‘lost parents’ is that I have never seen a CM touching or holding the hand of a child. I have seen numerous times where there is almost a wide human circle of CMs surrounding the child and a CM is near them in the centre of the circle talking with them but not touching them.

On our last trip we saw this in the MK where the child was in the centre of the group with a CM and the ‘human circle’ was slowly making their way down Main Street assumably towards Guest Services.

A friend and I have chatted about this and she is there right now. Her experience too is that she has never seen a CM touch a child. She called just now to say she just saw a ‘lost parent’ situation and her experience was the same. In this case a CM was walking beside the child talking to them, not touching them, and 2 security guards were walking a few feet behind them.
That is very interesting. I would think holding the child's hand would be acceptable and effective, also a bit of a comfort until their parent is found. I wonder if they coach them not to touch a lost child so as not to be accused of anything inappropriate. That's sad, but I could see that being the reason.

That is very interesting. I would think holding the child's hand would be acceptable and effective, also a bit of a comfort until their parent is found. I wonder if they coach them not to touch a lost child so as not to be accused of anything inappropriate. That's sad, but I could see that being the reason.
no touching so can not be accused of inappropriate sad but true of how things are now. also know what child is wearing cause clothing needs to match what child is wearing

Every parent's worst nightmare. This is why my littlest has a leash backpack. I know people will judge me, but any precaution I can take to make sure this doesn't happen to us is worth taking. Also why we prefer, for now at least, to travel with extended family. Eight sets of adult eyes on 3 kids total is a lot better than 2 sets of adult eyes on 2 kids.

Every parent's worst nightmare. This is why my littlest has a leash backpack. I know people will judge me, but any precaution I can take to make sure this doesn't happen to us is worth taking. Also why we prefer, for now at least, to travel with extended family. Eight sets of adult eyes on 3 kids total is a lot better than 2 sets of adult eyes on 2 kids.
make sure when moving or breaking to smaller groups that you all know who has each child. the more eyes on the more of a chance one child gets missed. also have a picture of each child each day so you know and can show CM what child looks like

Our youngest was an explorer, so we always wrote our phone number on the rubber of the instep on her shoe. We also in the theme parks dressed her and her sister in the same colour shirts.

I hear people say, "what do you do when you can't hold their hand". What I did was to teach my kids to hold onto my shirt. I can feel them tugging on it and knew instantly if they let go. I also NEVER turned my back on them. If I had to pay for something at the store, I put them in front of me between the counter and myself and kind of trapped them in there with my legs. I traveled solo with my 2 girls, that are 13 months apart, all the time starting when they were very young. I had them clicked into the stroller, which I never turned my back on either, and either had a hand on it or my foot on it. If they were not in the stroller, we were touching. This was one of those things that I had nightmares about so I was super vigilant about it. Kids wander, it's not their fault. I have stopped so many toddlers from running away from their parents at places like the mall, because parents turn their back on them. That wasn't going to be me. Plus my parents lost me once at the mall when I was little and it terrified me and has stuck with me. I didn't want my kids to go through that. I agree with some of the other posters, that too many adults in the group makes it worse because you assume another adult has the child. There are so many little things that you can do to make sure that your child does not get separated from you. I just don't think many people think of them in the moment though. It's also a good idea to take a picture of your kid every morning so that you have it if needed.

I hear people say, "what do you do when you can't hold their hand". What I did was to teach my kids to hold onto my shirt. I can feel them tugging on it and knew instantly if they let go. I also NEVER turned my back on them. If I had to pay for something at the store, I put them in front of me between the counter and myself and kind of trapped them in there with my legs. I traveled solo with my 2 girls, that are 13 months apart, all the time starting when they were very young. I had them clicked into the stroller, which I never turned my back on either, and either had a hand on it or my foot on it. If they were not in the stroller, we were touching. This was one of those things that I had nightmares about so I was super vigilant about it. Kids wander, it's not their fault. I have stopped so many toddlers from running away from their parents at places like the mall, because parents turn their back on them. That wasn't going to be me. Plus my parents lost me once at the mall when I was little and it terrified me and has stuck with me. I didn't want my kids to go through that. I agree with some of the other posters, that too many adults in the group makes it worse because you assume another adult has the child. There are so many little things that you can do to make sure that your child does not get separated from you. I just don't think many people think of them in the moment though. It's also a good idea to take a picture of your kid every morning so that you have it if needed.
That would’ve worked with four of my kids (and when we walked through parking lots the all had to hold me or a shopping card), but my youngest (who has a twin sister), was a runner. The problem with a runner when you have four other children with you is that they’re had to catch. He was also an escape artist. Fortunately he was never afraid of getting lost, loved hiding under clothing racks at stores. The times he got away we’d always find him laughing, he had no fear.

make sure when moving or breaking to smaller groups that you all know who has each child. the more eyes on the more of a chance one child gets missed. also have a picture of each child each day so you know and can show CM what child looks like

All good tips! We did this once before when it was just our oldest who was an only child at the time. We had lots of adults and just the one kiddo but you're right - I still never let her out of my sight without explicit communication between myself and another adult.....it'd be all too easy for everyone to assume someone else is paying attention.

All good tips! We did this once before when it was just our oldest who was an only child at the time. We had lots of adults and just the one kiddo but you're right - I still never let her out of my sight without explicit communication between myself and another adult.....it'd be all too easy for everyone to assume someone else is paying attention.
In work at a small park and I have posted this story a number of times. had parents spend 20 minutes hunting their missing son. when mother finally said something. she had child wearing a different color shirt. security was with her about 15 minutes before husband came with phone to show her child was wearing a different shirt. security had the child the whole time but would not take her to him cause it did not match. that is when she blew up saying you knew you had my son but would not take me to him. they do not until sure they have right parents.

I had a toddler once almost run into me and the father was steps away not a care in the world and buried in his phone who then told me to watch where I’m going. Meanwhile I wasn’t even on my phone I was heading to FoP for my fastpass return time. It’s a shame that people don’t care anymore. It’s also sad when they leave the older kids to watch the younger ones (happened don our last time riding great movie ride. The older sibling was constantly making sure the younger one stayed with them, didn’t touch anything they weren’t supposed to, didn’t run away. Mom was on a phone call and dad was just trying to get through the line. A CM fortunately stepped in when the younger one got away from the older one and started running in between the old style velvet ropes and the older one ran after. Could’ve been a lot worse if they didn’t.

That would’ve worked with four of my kids (and when we walked through parking lots the all had to hold me or a shopping card), but my youngest (who has a twin sister), was a runner. The problem with a runner when you have four other children with you is that they’re had to catch. He was also an escape artist. Fortunately he was never afraid of getting lost, loved hiding under clothing racks at stores. The times he got away we’d always find him laughing, he had no fear.
That one definitely needed some creative handling. I guess that is why they created the leashes for kids. I always said that humans needed an extra arm. LOL Frankly, being outnumbered by kids is not my idea of fun. :P

I had a toddler once almost run into me and the father was steps away not a care in the world and buried in his phone who then told me to watch where I’m going. Meanwhile I wasn’t even on my phone I was heading to FoP for my fastpass return time. It’s a shame that people don’t care anymore. It’s also sad when they leave the older kids to watch the younger ones (happened don our last time riding great movie ride. The older sibling was constantly making sure the younger one stayed with them, didn’t touch anything they weren’t supposed to, didn’t run away. Mom was on a phone call and dad was just trying to get through the line. A CM fortunately stepped in when the younger one got away from the older one and started running in between the old style velvet ropes and the older one ran after. Could’ve been a lot worse if they didn’t.
I have seen that so much recently. Parents just not giving a care at all. It is shocking to see. Don't these people love their kids? I don't get it.

I have seen that so much recently. Parents just not giving a care at all. It is shocking to see. Don't these people love their kids? I don't get it.

When I see something like this I usually assume human error. Even parents who love their children dearly (which is most of us) are prone to mistakes, distracted at the wrong moment, or caught off guard at times. I imagine this is especially true somewhere like Disney where many visitors are using their phones to book rides/ADR's or for mobile ordering, checking a map, etc. Or Mom is booking Genie+ and thinks Dad has the kid, but Dad thinks mom has the kid and looks away to check out the snack stand nearby. It's a bad moment, and one Mom and Dad will probably beat themselves up for FOREVER - but it doesn't mean they don't love their kids.

My entire childhood in Disney was bright yellow shirts my Mom made us kids wear. Definite eye rolls from me, especially when I was a teen (had to do it so my younger siblings would follow suit).

As a parent now... I love how my kids look in bright colors at Disney (I usually choose bright orange). Very easy to spot

IMG_1191.jpg

When I see something like this I usually assume human error. Even parents who love their children dearly (which is most of us) are prone to mistakes, distracted at the wrong moment, or caught off guard at times. I imagine this is especially true somewhere like Disney where many visitors are using their phones to book rides/ADR's or for mobile ordering, checking a map, etc. Or Mom is booking Genie+ and thinks Dad has the kid, but Dad thinks mom has the kid and looks away to check out the snack stand nearby. It's a bad moment, and one Mom and Dad will probably beat themselves up for FOREVER - but it doesn't mean they don't love their kids.
I don't buy it. It all comes down to how you choose to act. There are plenty of parents out there that make a conscious decision to make sure that they know where their kids are at all times. We are not super human beings, but my husband and I communicated with each other and made sure that one of us had their eyes on the kids, especially out in public. It is less human error and more lack of effort. It is a LOT of work being that diligent and some people put in the work and others don't. I don't see both parents looking down on their phones as being a human error. It is so easy before you look down, to double check to see if the other adult is watching the kids. Especially when the children are really small and can wander off. There are lots of things out of parent's control that can happen, but making sure that you are supervising your children is not out of your control. I would also like to point out that most parents that are in the scenario that you gave, usually learn from their mistake and don't repeat it. Some parents have learned from other people's mistakes and don't commit them themselves.

That one definitely needed some creative handling. I guess that is why they created the leashes for kids. I always said that humans needed an extra arm. LOL Frankly, being outnumbered by kids is not my idea of fun. :P
He was my only one who needed a leash, I had to get one for his twin because she wanted one too, but she didn’t need one.

I don't buy it. It all comes down to how you choose to act. There are plenty of parents out there that make a conscious decision to make sure that they know where their kids are at all times. We are not super human beings, but my husband and I communicated with each other and made sure that one of us had their eyes on the kids, especially out in public. It is less human error and more lack of effort. It is a LOT of work being that diligent and some people put in the work and others don't. I don't see both parents looking down on their phones as being a human error. It is so easy before you look down, to double check to see if the other adult is watching the kids. Especially when the children are really small and can wander off. There are lots of things out of parent's control that can happen, but making sure that you are supervising your children is not out of your control. I would also like to point out that most parents that are in the scenario that you gave, usually learn from their mistake and don't repeat it. Some parents have learned from other people's mistakes and don't commit them themselves.
When I was a kid in Disney World I was coming off a ride with my mother. She reached for my hand, and I reached for hers, but what she didn’t realize at first was that she actually took the hand of another nearby girl who had the same color hair as me, and THAT little girl’s mother took MY hand. They’d all gotten a few steps away before they realized their error. By your logic, my mother doesn’t love me, which is the absolute farthest thing from the truth. My parents are wonderful human beings and I’ve never questioned their love for me.

I’m sure you’re right that there are some parents who don’t put in the effort. But even then, tired stressed out parents make mistakes. Even parents who aren’t tired of stressed out make mistakes. I’ve never even come close to losing either of my kids but I don’t think it means I love my kids more than the next person. Nor do I assume I am flawless, or that it could never happen to me. Which is why I don’t judge people I don’t know for a mistake that may very well be a one-off HOLY CRAP moment. I mean if it’s a repeated thing then yeah there’s a problem but when I see a panicked parent searching for a child I don’t think, jeez they must not love that kid.

I left my first baby in the car once. We drove to the store, I thought my husband was getting her, he thought I was getting her, and we both started walking into the store intent on getting what we needed and getting out. We were about two steps into the store before we both looked at each other and were like "Where's the baby?!" and then we ran back out to the car. Until that moment I'd never realized how easy it could be to leave a child in the car. She was fine--it was maybe two minutes and she was asleep, but it scared me to death and after that we developed a system of 'make sure we have the baby/check in with the person dropping the kids off at daycare.'

Parents can be stupid. Kids can be stupid. Whenever we're out we established early on now that they're older "if I can't see you that's a problem" but my 8 year old at Disney kept insisting she was too old to hold hands and 'could keep up in a crowd on her own' and let me tell you how that didn't work out very often. But we'd also worked on 'if you get separated from us DO NOT MOVE FROM WHERE YOU ARE because I will come back there and look for you' and that worked well for us. But especially at Disney the crowds are awful and there are so many fun things to go look at. I love the Winnie the Pooh play area in line but man there are so many places you can lose sight of your kids as you also try to keep up with the line. It's like a constant symphony of parents yelling their kids names over and over there.

So yeah while I certainly have seen my share of awful Disney parents screaming at their kids or dragging them around, being separated from them or losing sight of them for a few minutes as they bolt isn't something I'm very parent-shame-y about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter