Hold on tight to your kids!

This is feature that should be added to Magic Bands. It is called Geo Fencing. If your kid (based on their Magic Band) gets a certain distance (should be user configurable) from your band, you get an alert on your devices and perhaps the band it self starts to flash red (we know they can do this).
I don't even have a young child, and this would be helpful. For my hubby. Find him, don't find him? I'll think about it.

If you have a known wanderer or just a curious child who wants to see everything that catches their eye.. an apple air tag could be an extra measure of security. It links to your “ find my” function on your iphone/ipad/watch etc, The location of the tag comes up on a detailed map.

Last edited:
Thinking of security and the what is your child wearing question...does security have the ability to access photos taken for memory maker? Like scan your band/card see any photos taken that day? Would be easy to pull up a pic and point to the kid/adult/whomever.

If you have a known wanderer or just a curious child who wants to see everything that catches their eye.. an apple air tag could be an extra measure of security. It links to your “ find my” function on your iphone/ipad/watch etc, The location of the tag comes up on a detailed map.
I’m not super knowledgeable about air tags. In a crowded place like WDW wouldn’t everyone around kids with air tags ge an alert about an air tag?

Instead of a monkey tail thing, we had a backpack that had little leash on it. Maybe similar set up?Gonna be honest, didn't always work effectively depending on the strength and determination of the child.

Also have tried bungee "handcuffs" for me and the little...same rule applies. Kids are smart and can get away easily.

My kids are still little and the handholding "technique" usually works best. You definitely know when they are trying to escape and you are more conscious of what's going on because your hand is being tugged on. Just my opinion.

I do think phone usage affects all of this because people walk without looking all the time - kids or no kids. In ride queues, people use their phone (myself included) to pass the time, and kids can easily move around or past others out of your view. You just need to watch your kids - it's a lot of work and I love my phone, but they take a LOT of our attention away from everything in life.

I remember being little and hiding in the clothes racks. Drives all parents crazy but can't blame the kids - no one wants to shop for clothing!

I’m not super knowledgeable about air tags. In a crowded place like WDW wouldn’t everyone around kids with air tags ge an alert about an air tag?

The tag will only alert you to the location of the child/tag once you check your iphone/apple watch or ipad. So once you have a concern you would check for the location of the tag

The air tag is like your iphone, it’s linked only to your own apple ID … you set it up to work with your devices that have the “find my” feature enabled and your own devices linked.

I usually found that if someone else was supposed to be the one keeping an eye on a particular kid...since they weren't used to doing so normally, they would be easily distracted by another adult family member talking to them. I love my inlaws but I stopped counting on them 100% after they walked away from my kids a few times.

I think the argument blaming wandering kids on cell phones is rather lacking in perspective. Having been there decades ago with little ones (and without phones), parents have to watch them very closely with so many magical distractions around the parks for the kids to go out on their own. It's a very busy place designed to attract the attention of kids - parents have always had to be completely aware of their children, and sometimes we don't do a good enough job.
Even good parents can have those moments of distraction when a child can wander off. We need to be more forgiving and understanding of our vulnerabilities.

Even good parents can have those moments of distraction when a child can wander off. We need to be more forgiving and understanding of our vulnerabilities.
Agree 100% - it only takes a second. I was just trying to say that the current smart phones aren't necessarily to blame - parental distraction and children wandering has been going on for much longer than the few years we've been attached to phones. Just at Disney, in years past we've spent time staring at a park map or a Birnbaum book or that really nice sweatshirt in the window on Main St. It's a challenge for parents in crowded spaces, whether at Disney or the grocery store.....

I don't care about public opinion. We're getting one of these for our son who will be 2.5 when we go and is basically studying to be Disney's live-action Tarzan pick. He's also a quarantine/pandemic kid so he has zero stranger danger and hasn't been out in public nearly enough for my comfort, to know how he'll respond. We're going to try to take him somewhere amusement park-ish before we go as a trial run, but I think one of these backpacks will come in handy.
No bashing here!
I have never heard of the monkey backpack. It sounds great. Do the strings, bands ? hang down from each side, or how does it work? Thanks.

One of the reasons I always rent a double stroller, keeps the kids where I can see them. With how inconsiderate these Disney “adults” are, it also keeps them from getting run over by walking phone-zombies

DH and I had a system when our kids were small, which worked well since we only had two. Whenever we were leaving after the fireworks or walking through a crowded area, I would say, "I have A, you have R." That way if we got separated we would know that each kid was with one of us. That last thing I wanted to hear was, "I thought he was with you!"

Thinking of security and the what is your child wearing question...does security have the ability to access photos taken for memory maker? Like scan your band/card see any photos taken that day? Would be easy to pull up a pic and point to the kid/adult/whomever.
easier to have on your own phone to show security plus I do not think they can access but also what about family not using memory maker

I dressed my daughter and I in matching colours when she was younger as it was a very quick way to know what colour she was wearing.

One thing that has always struck me at WDW (and which I think id a great idea) is when there are ‘lost parents’ is that I have never seen a CM touching or holding the hand of a child. I have seen numerous times where there is almost a wide human circle of CMs surrounding the child and a CM is near them in the centre of the circle talking with them but not touching them.

On our last trip we saw this in the MK where the child was in the centre of the group with a CM and the ‘human circle’ was slowly making their way down Main Street assumably towards Guest Services.

A friend and I have chatted about this and she is there right now. Her experience too is that she has never seen a CM touch a child. She called just now to say she just saw a ‘lost parent’ situation and her experience was the same. In this case a CM was walking beside the child talking to them, not touching them, and 2 security guards were walking a few feet behind them.

Disney is great at finding "lost parents"!

Teach your kids to stay put if separated and how to recognize a CM and ask for help. Take a quick photo on your phone before heading out in the am. Many times, this happens when each parent thinks the other has x child and wires get crossed, make sure to communicate who is going with whom if/when separating etc.

I used a "Disney theme dog tag" on my kid's shoes with my cell number until they were old enough to remember it. They are small but CM's will notice them and be able to get the info without touching the child. I still buy them but now I use them on my luggage :)
This is great advice. We had many many Disney trips as my daughter was growing up and her Disney lessons actually saved us on more than one occasion.
1. STAY PUT. As soon as you realize you don't see us. It's our job to find you.
2. LOOK FOR A CAST MEMBER from where you are.

Okay quick close your eyes and describe the clothes your child is wearing!
That just might be the first question security will ask to start search and possibly verify you are their parent…
Take a picture of clothes your child has on that day if you will be in crowded unfamiliar area .
I lost my daughter once at a pumpkin farm, and this is great advice! I was so panicked I forgot to tell the workers looking for her that she wore glasses- probably the greatest detail that would make her stand out from other children, since she was so little. You really cannot think straight in that awful moment.

Our younger kids got separated from us at least once each on our trip last summer. Once MDS ran ahead of us to the stroller parking and we were looking for him; I noticed a CM was eyeing him when we got to him, trying to determine if he was lost.

Two other times it was just so crowded that in a few seconds the flow of the crowd pulled them a different direction. Both times a CM stopped them from going any further and then had them identify us before they would let them leave with us.

Definitely talk to your kiddos about expectations (stay together!), but also what to do if separated.

As a side note, I often see people talk about writing phone numbers on their kids, etc. But from my experience it’s unlikely that a CM will be in a position to call you. I saw some kids wearing trackers (Tile/Apple) and that, along with talking through a plan, seems like a better strategy.

Our DD (15) loves to wander. When she was little she had to always be holding someone’s hand and I would write my phone number on her arm in sharpie just in case. I’m sure wanderers are fairly common at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter