Hitting the Disney trifecta! a Nov 2013 PTR-and then some!(2/21-Trip #3 return!)

I hope you get FD for your dates. When will you know about your mother?

We pretty much know now...the only question is getting the tickets. The round trip prices from Phoenix-Buffalo have been TERRIBLE the last few years. I suspect that I must blame Canadians for this. But right now her flight dates are around $520 round trip. We could fly her into Rochester - about an hour away - for $350, but this would be pretty inconvient. The lowest you ever see that RT ticket anymore is around $425. I am hoping that a little patience will allow us get a good rate.

This is why I think that November is probably going to be our dates no matter what. If there is free dining available, it will be 100% November. If there isn't, it's probably still 90% November.

Well, it stinks that it probably won't work out, but I really love that DH & I were on the pro-October side! :goodvibes Of course, it would be great to meet up if our trips overlap, but you gotta do what's best for your family, and it sounds like November is it. I think planning both trips and deciding when it gets closer is still a great idea though! :idea:

Well, it stinks that it probably won't work out, but I really love that DH & I were on the pro-October side! :goodvibes Of course, it would be great to meet up if our trips overlap, but you gotta do what's best for your family, and it sounds like November is it. I think planning both trips and deciding when it gets closer is still a great idea though! :idea:

I know, it's amazing that we've had like 4-5 trip NEARLY overlap. In fact I think our 2009 trips did overlap, which is how we "met" on the boards. It would really be great to meet in real life - but unfortunately too many other things are weighing the other direction. One of these years!

In fact, you really aren't the only DISer that swayed my thinking slightly. Princess in Oz and her family will be there end of September/early October, and it was so nice meeting them in Melbourne, we would love to spend time with them at the world. However, if we have to take DD out of school for a week, I can't do it when the heat and humidity are still so awful as end of September.

I think we'll be there before you. I'll be hitting WDW from 29 Sep - 7 Oct. Your ticker suggests that you're there late October.

Wow, you are super planner! Look at all those pros & cons!!!!

Well my vote is November. But then... that's because- duh- November rocks! Cuz I'm in the parks. Ha!

We've done this particular week in November (the week prior to Thanksgivingish) twice & out of all our trips (we've done Jan, Feb, March, May, June, October, Nov & Dec) it's always been our absolute favorite.

Great weather. Low crowds. In my mind, you can't beat it. It's why I pull my kids from school for it- although SO SAD this will be the last year I can really get away with doing that with DD going into 6th.

I had heard that there are November park hours floating around. I'm going to research at lunch today & starting working on tentative ADRS!

I am still debating the Christmas Party too. Like you we did it several years ago and were NOT wow'd by it (love the Halloween one ironically). It didn't seem there was much 'extra' offering for the high price. So I'm still on the fence about this..... the late night really cuts into the next day touring as well.

Let the planning commence! Woot.

I think we'll be there before you. I'll be hitting WDW from 29 Sep - 7 Oct. Your ticker suggests that you're there late October.

Yeah, you two aren't overlapping either. If you had both been there at the same time I may well have HAD to come down.

Wow, you are super planner! Look at all those pros & cons!!!!

Well my vote is November. But then... that's because- duh- November rocks! Cuz I'm in the parks. Ha!

Yeah, I should've put you in the November + column: Meet Tinker326 and her family! Well, I couldn't really, as I did all that planning prior to "meeting" you. Always look forward to meeting DISers though

We've done this particular week in November (the week prior to Thanksgivingish) twice & out of all our trips (we've done Jan, Feb, March, May, June, October, Nov & Dec) it's always been our absolute favorite.

Great weather. Low crowds. In my mind, you can't beat it. It's why I pull my kids from school for it- although SO SAD this will be the last year I can really get away with doing that with DD going into 6th.

I agree, we've done April, May, August, September, October, November and December, and it really is my favorite week that we've been, though we've done 3 weeks in late October and they've been pretty spectacular too!

Our same issue, DD will be in 5th grade this year, so once she reaches middle school I will not want to pull her out. (My parents always pulled me out for vacations right through high school, but I was an excellent student. DD isn't there yet.)

I had heard that there are November park hours floating around. I'm going to research at lunch today & starting working on tentative ADRS!

Oh, you made me check my "go-to" site: http://www.easywdw.com/ and they had them! Go there for the link.

I always use the previous years operating hours for my initial plan, and then work from there when the schedule is updated. It is usually about 95 % unchanged. They then throw a few wrenches in the works as we go, as often they put some change up a month or so before leaving. That website Is Really good about keeping the schedule up to date. They also have free recommended parks and crowd levels - unlike the old Touring plans / Unofficial Guide who charge for it.

I am still debating the Christmas Party too. Like you we did it several years ago and were NOT wow'd by it (love the Halloween one ironically). It didn't seem there was much 'extra' offering for the high price. So I'm still on the fence about this..... the late night really cuts into the next day touring as well.

Let the planning commence! Woot.

I biggest complaint about the MNSSHP was the CROWDS. It was far and away the most crowded thing we attended that week. We waited in HUGE lines to meet some characters, and only got to meet 3 or 4 groups of characters. We also had to stake out a spot at least 45 minutes early for the LATE parade. We only had time for like 3 rides the whole time, DD was cranky and tired. It was OK, but probably one of the "worst" times I've had in a Disney park. ("Worst" being relative, we still had a lot of fun.)

As far as the Christmas stuff, we've seen it all. Starting the day after the last Christmas party, usually the Saturday before Christmas, they do the parade and all the shows for "free". Our December of 2009 trip overlapped with the start of Christmas season, so we were able to catch it then.

However, DD at Christmas this year says she doesn't remember seeing the parade. DW said that she would pay so we would go to the Christmas party. I said the only way I would go is (1) it has to be lower crowds and (2) we're not going to spend any time waiting in lines to see characters since DD doesn't want to anyways. If we do it, we must take advantage of the short lines for top attractions and then also see the parade and fireworks up close (We've seen Christmas wishes twice from the top of the Contemporary.)

From the looks of it, the choices are 11/8 (Fri), 11/11 (Mon), 11/14 (Thurs), 11/15 (Fri). I beleive Friday the 8th is the first party of the season, so we won't do that one. I'm thinking the Monday party so early in the season should be pretty low crowds, the locals will mostly wait until Thursday. The crazed Disney fans will go after the first one. By doing Monday, we're going to leave Tuesday as our "off" day (resort day).

We're only going to do the party if they actually have free dining, but I think that'll be our date.

Well, time to go and update our spreadsheet! (or perhaps I should be doing actual work.)

So, a quick follow-up to my previous post.

The November Calendar that I linked to does look very similar to the 2012 calendar, but enough changes to tell me it is not just a duplicate.
  • A couple of nights MK is open an extra hour vs what was shown in 2012.
  • On Thursday, November 14, DHS closes at 4 PM. Why, I don't know. Probably a private event of some sort. It makes for a very tempting day to go there.
  • A few of the times for MSEP and Wishes are slightly different.
  • A few EMH days are slightly different.
  • Fantasmic is on most days, but of course dark on the 14th.

Even though I haven't posted my plans yet, they ARE in place. The early close of DHS on November 14th makes it VERY tempting to move things around.

A few other wrenches that I didn't realize about. I knew that Jersey week was the week "before" this. However, I was not thinking it was going to be the days off on the 7th and 8th. Between that, the marathon weekend, and that it is also Veteran's day weekend, it makes me wonder if we will actually see Free Dining start on that Friday the 8th as I am predicting.

I really don't want to push things back a week to the 14th-23rd, as that runs into Thanksgiving week, so it would just put the crowds on the other end of the trip. It also would be quite likely that Food and Wine would be completely over - I am assuming it ends on Sunday the 9th. However, if we were not able to get free dining AND F&W went for another week, it would put a serious crimp in the plans.

My schedule is primarily designed to avoid crowds, or more specifcally avoiding lines. It's why I generally avoid EMH parks completely. This trip is being planned under a different supposition - that we are going to take advantage of the new FP+ combined with hopping to go to one park in the morning, and a second park later in the day that we already have FPs for using FP+.

A couple of possible changes this brings all brings to mind:

Instead of planning on flying in on Friday November 7th, do we instead fly in on Saturday November 8th, and shift the "extra" day to the end of the trip (Monday the 18th?) I sort of think this might be a really good idea in terms of getting better air-fare and raising the likelyhood of free dining covering the whole trip.

Egad - suddenly I am now replanning the trip. Wheeeee, this is fun!

Food and Wine festival definitely ends on Sunday, November 10th, according to Disney official site, so a move to the next week is not an option.

Friday or Saturday?

Friday gives you two F&W days.
Saturday gives you one.

How much cheaper is the airfare?

Friday or Saturday?

Friday gives you two F&W days.
Saturday gives you one.

How much cheaper is the airfare?

But Saturday Epcot is going to be completely insane. It'll be all wrapped up for the race all evening. Sure the race doesn't start until 10 PM, but it goes THROUGH the park. Meaning closing off sections as well as parts of the roadways around the area. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Epcot that day.

Flying would probably be cheaper flying in Saturday and out Monday than in on Friday and out Sunday. The Sunday ones are especially tough flights to get cheap.

Saturday and one day F&W it is. Sounds like avoiding Epcot on a Saturday is a must.

I will make sure to grab you some F&W stuff after the race & I'm in EPCOT postparty! :) Although, I'm still not certain I will make the entire 13.1 miles at the rate I'm going with training (um. horribly. but my cookie that I'm eating instead of running is good!)

I looked at hours yesterday too and saw that HS shortened day and my first thought was the EXACT same as you- 'that would be a GREAT day to go'.

However, I'm super torn. Because HS is my LEAST favorite park and so I only have one day planned there. And I kinda really want to see Fantasmic... so.... I think I have to bypass the short day. Or plan two- which - nah. Ain't happening.

Oh the dilemnas of planning the perfect Dis vacay........

Just caught up on your PTR. :thumbsup2

:welcome:

Saturday and one day F&W it is. Sounds like avoiding Epcot on a Saturday is a must.

Yeah - Saturdays during food and wine are crazy normally, but the last weekend, AND the marathon to me spells "get me outta here!"

I will make sure to grab you some F&W stuff after the race & I'm in EPCOT postparty! :) Although, I'm still not certain I will make the entire 13.1 miles at the rate I'm going with training (um. horribly. but my cookie that I'm eating instead of running is good!)

I looked at hours yesterday too and saw that HS shortened day and my first thought was the EXACT same as you- 'that would be a GREAT day to go'.

However, I'm super torn. Because HS is my LEAST favorite park and so I only have one day planned there. And I kinda really want to see Fantasmic... so.... I think I have to bypass the short day. Or plan two- which - nah. Ain't happening.

Oh the dilemnas of planning the perfect Dis vacay........

Well, we are not huge fans of Fantasmic and DD HATES it, so we would probably be skipping it anyways. However, the bigger issue is wanting to see the Osborne lights which will be starting up this week. IF you have never seen them, you definitely should plan on it. Since my plan is being constructed based on Free Dining and having Park Hopper, we would actually be going to DHS for just the evening on a separate day. If there is no free dining and we stay in December, we will move off of DHS as well. I 100% agree with you I do not need more than one day in that park, it is definitely our least favorite park, which is sad because I love movies and hollywood but that park is just not done right.

Well, we are not huge fans of Fantasmic and DD HATES it, so we would probably be skipping it anyways. However, the bigger issue is wanting to see the Osborne lights which will be starting up this week. IF you have never seen them, you definitely should plan on it. Since my plan is being constructed based on Free Dining and having Park Hopper, we would actually be going to DHS for just the evening on a separate day. If there is no free dining and we stay in December, we will move off of DHS as well. I 100% agree with you I do not need more than one day in that park, it is definitely our least favorite park, which is sad because I love movies and hollywood but that park is just not done right.

I apparently get to run through the Osborne lights on the 1/2. My guess is that I will be so miserable that I won't enjoy it... but we'll see.....

And I agree. I'm a huge movie/hollywood fan and HS is so poorly done. I actually quite enjoy Universal for that stuff! (and Harry Potter- also huge fan!!!)

I apparently get to run through the Osborne lights on the 1/2. My guess is that I will be so miserable that I won't enjoy it... but we'll see.....

And I agree. I'm a huge movie/hollywood fan and HS is so poorly done. I actually quite enjoy Universal for that stuff! (and Harry Potter- also huge fan!!!)

Oh man - that would be cool! I found the Osborne Lights my favorite thing about christmas at WDW.

I agree Universal does "movies" much better than Disney. (Maybe poorly worded, I actually like much of what Disney had at DHS in terms of rides, the problem being there are only six of them. The non-ride portion of DHS is sorely lacking. And the GMR just plain stinks.)

Well, a few "big deal" points going on. My constant watch of SWA airfares paid off, and today noticed that the Phoenix - Buffalo airfares were at $207 each way - which is in fact the cheapest they have been in the last 2 years.

So, I called my mom and we used her points and my points to book a flight for her. She's coming out on Friday, October 11th, returning Monday October 21st. This gives her two weekends and also Columnbus day which DD will have off that they can spend together.

So - realistically this pretty much kills PLAN B completely. Since my mom can't really come earlier or much later, this is far and away the best time for her to be here. So, unless we were to bump our Disney trip back a week and be there during Halloween itself, it looks like the 2nd week of November is "it", regardless of free dining or not.

In the meantime, in the last few days with the schedule out, I've started playing around with the timing. As I've done so, I've started to - as I do on most trips - fall out of love with the idea of getting hoppers. Some people love them, I get it (I guess), but I've never been enamored by them. It's great if you're a spontaneous type, but I am a planner and like to use my time efficiently, and my view is that spending my time moving from one park to another is a waste of valuable touring time. However, I was going to try it this trip because of FP+. However, as I looked at it, my new schedule has only three days of hopping:

Wednesday (Day 5) - start at AK and go to DHS in the evening for the Osborne lights.
Thursday (Day 6) - start at DHS (short park hours day) and head over to Epcot for dinner
Sunday (Day 9) - Leave day up in the air for use of hopper while planning dinner in Epcot.

None of these days are really taking advantage of the FP+ in the 2nd park like I originally intended. And what I noticed was that if I simply go to DHS on Wednesday, and I switch my dinner in Epcot to Day 8 (after going to Blizzard Beach), that would eliminate all but ONE day of hopping. And that ONE day (Day 9) could easily become an Epcot day with a little more shifting. That non-hopping plan would require an extra park day (9-day instead of 8-day), but that is $8 a person versus $57 a person for hopping. So, on that basis - is it worth it to me to spend an extra $133 for the ability to hop between parks.

Plus, if I plan the trip without hopping to begin with, the amount of adjustment I have to make should there not be any free dining will be ZERO. We would just cancel some dining ADRs that we won't use, and otherwise we will go with exactly what we have.

I just don't know. I have to really think this through. I know a lot of people would say "it's really not much money compared to the entire trip" but I always look at the cost versus benefit. If the benefit is small, why pay the cost?

If you have an opinion, speak up, I'd be happy to have feedback.

Yhea on the great airfare price for your mom! That's a great fare!

And welcome to Plan A. The place to be! Woo.

I personally never find the cost of the hopper to be worth it. It takes a lot of time & effort to 'park hop' in WDW. I prefer to save the money & the time...and just plan to do everything the 'non-hoppin' way.

Yhea on the great airfare price for your mom! That's a great fare!

And welcome to Plan A. The place to be! Woo.

I personally never find the cost of the hopper to be worth it. It takes a lot of time & effort to 'park hop' in WDW. I prefer to save the money & the time...and just plan to do everything the 'non-hoppin' way.

Well, I should have known that because you were talking about the DHS days and not wanting to do the short one because of that. Clearly the more people in your party - the less hopping should appeal. But even at 3 people I find it a tough sell.

Should we be comparing notes as we plan, to see/make sure that we are overlapping parks at least one day? From your PTR it doesn't look like you have any plans yet for the WDW portion of your trip, but I have to believe you've started planning. You do hang out on the DIS boards after all. ;)

I'm probably only a few days from posting the final draft of my plans. (Subject to change of course.) ADRs start to open up May 13th. :thumbsup2

Of COURSE I have plans. There is TYPE A imbedded in my name.

Can't you see it? Ni(TYPE A)cole

You have to be to go into my field (accounting). :lmao:

I was just about to pull up the best days on easywdw and compare to my plan. But before doing it- here is my tentative list:

Sat 11/9- Resort (prepping for race!) & running race.
Sun 11/10- Epcot till 4am, drink..eat & be merry. Resort hang
Mon 11/11- Universal
Tues 11/12- by self till family arrives in evening- thinking Epcot Countries
Wed 11/13- MK- Gotta start there
Thur 11/14- Epcot
Friday 11/15- HS
Sat 11/16- MK
Sun 11/17- AK
Mon 11/18- Epcot

Probably do DD on AK day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter