Hitting the Disney trifecta! a Nov 2013 PTR-and then some!(2/21-Trip #3 return!)

Friday Day 7: Character Breakfast at Storytellers Café Enjoy breakfast at your leisure with Chip 'n Dale at Storytellers Cafe in your hotel.

Transfer to the Airport Relax and enjoy your final moments in California as we handle your luggage and arrange for transportation to Los Angeles International Airport.

My Comments: So, again, the LAST day is really a non-day as far as the tour goes. However, we are foregoing the second item and staying for an extra day. Unfortunately, this means leaving the beautiful Grand Californian for something more our normal speed. We stayed at the Tropicana on Harbor Boulevard last July, and it was great and only $129 a night. We have our extra night there, so at some point we will need to transfer over.

The good thing is that the day’s park admission as well as a few fistfuls of fastpasses is included with the tour, so the expectation is that we will get a chance to do some of the things we didn’t already get to do in the two parks. I suppose there is the possibility we may spend some of the day with our new friends, but I could just as easily see that DW and I want to go out on our own for the day
Currently, I’m planning on us having dinner at the Carthay Circle restaurant. We had lunch here the last trip, and thought it was wonderful and would definitely like a chance to try again. I really, really want to close the parks tonight as well (midnight?) because I just don’t think I’ll want this trip to end.

Saturday, Day 8: We debated about staying over until Sunday, but father’s day made me change my mind on that. In addition, though, we would have had to buy a one-day ticket to enter the parks, and after three days of being treated like a VIP, it might have been hard to go back to being “Joe Schmo”. In the end, we have a 1:30 PM flight out of LAX, which means we have until 10:30 AM to be picked up by the shuttle. My plan is breakfast at DTD along with a little last minute shopping. The likely breakfast destination based on recommendations is Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel, with Katal as a backup. Neither are breakfast buffets, so at least we won’t have to sit through another one of those.

We’ll use supershuttle to take us back to the airport, and hopefully an uneventful direct (but not non-stop) flight finds us arriving back in Buffalo late Saturday night. I’m sure we’ll be tired from our adventure, but will have our DD to wake us bright and early the next morning!

That sums it up – it’s seems like such a short trip. I cannot begin to express how much we are looking forward to it. Having a whole week to ourselves with no “parental” responsibilities, combined with the actual content of the trip – hoo boy!

All of the behind the scenes stuff sounds so amazing! And oh my gosh, seeing the Dream Suite and Walt's Apartment... :cloud9::love: It seems like that part of the trip is a little front heavy, because it sounds like SO MUCH STUFF on the first day, and the second day, not so much. It will be pretty nice being able to see WOC without (hopefully) having to wait around for a long time to hold your spot!

That's really great that you are adding on another day too. It sounds like with all of the backstage and tours, it doesn't give you a ton of time on your own. So it will be nice to have a day to take it all in at your own pace and see everything you want to see. I have to say, having done it for our anniversary last year, it was so nice to be able to enjoy the parks again without pushing a stroller, having to split up for the thrill rides, and work around a kid's schedule!

All of the behind the scenes stuff sounds so amazing! And oh my gosh, seeing the Dream Suite and Walt's Apartment... :cloud9::love: It seems like that part of the trip is a little front heavy, because it sounds like SO MUCH STUFF on the first day, and the second day, not so much. It will be pretty nice being able to see WOC without (hopefully) having to wait around for a long time to hold your spot!

Yeah, the first day gets (possibly) Club 33, Walt's Apartment and the Lilly Belle. The second day gets a private visit with a cartoon turtle. :lmao:

I think that is simplifing things a bit. I think there are certainly 3-4 hours of backstage stuff the second day, so I am sure there is some pretty impressive stuff. There is one "WOW" moment that I've heard about from one of the early tours that I haven't mentioned anywhere that occurs that last full day @ DCA that will make the day totally worth it if they still do it.

That's really great that you are adding on another day too. It sounds like with all of the backstage and tours, it doesn't give you a ton of time on your own. So it will be nice to have a day to take it all in at your own pace and see everything you want to see. I have to say, having done it for our anniversary last year, it was so nice to be able to enjoy the parks again without pushing a stroller, having to split up for the thrill rides, and work around a kid's schedule!

I think there is SOME free time the first two days, probably about half the day. And with them handing you Fistfuls of Fastpasses your time in line is hopefully limited. (Hey, good name for a trip report: A Fistful of Fastpasses) The nice thing on Friday is that the ticket still covers the day in the parks and also from what I hear they still give you FPs, so that'll be nice. At one point I was hoping to stay for Saturday as well, but with Father's Day on Sunday, plus we would've had to buy a full-day park ticket for Saturday (they won't let you "add-on" days at the end of the trip, which kind of stinks.) the price for staying the extra day was rather stiff between two full-day park tickets and another nights hotel + meals we were talking another $400-500, and quite honestly the trip is already expensive enough. I think with having just been there last year, and having the 3.5 days, it will be enough that we will get the chance to see everything we want. There's lots and lots of things we can skip in DCA this trip (All of Bugsland, the Aladdin show, Disney Jr., Creekwood challange trail, most of Pacific Pier.) to the point there might only be 10-12 things In DCA we really want to do. So I suspect most of that last day we can spend in DL really ENJOYING the park.

We are well past the days of the stroller/bag/schedule. That lasted until about 5-6 years old. However, we are still dealing with ride restrictions and having to work things around what she wants to do. So, yup, very happy to have our on-our-own time. (Oh, and this is really OUR anniversary trip as well - it's actually just 3 days before the trip.)

My biggest concern is getting worn out. I just feel like I am going to want to go until midnight every day and then be up again at 6 AM. Will we be falling down tired by the end. Neither of us drink coffee, but we might be taking it up this trip!

Subbing!

Finally a Nov PTR!!! That's when we are heading down too!

Your trifecta sounds wonderful. It's my dream to do an ABD.... We are doing a 'two-fecta'- does that count? Disney in November and Fantasy in June of 2014. :)

Looking forward to following your ABD trip & while you make your November 'World' plans........

Subbing!

Finally a Nov PTR!!! That's when we are heading down too!

Your trifecta sounds wonderful. It's my dream to do an ABD.... We are doing a 'two-fecta'- does that count? Disney in November and Fantasy in June of 2014. :)

Looking forward to following your ABD trip & while you make your November 'World' plans........

:welcome: Nicole. All right - another November DISer! If you use the same terms I am (horse-racing betting) than you are actually looking for the exacta or perfecta (first two horses) as opposed to the trifecta (first three horses). Probably perfecta is a better term for a Disney trip, right?

I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise for my other readers, but let's just say there's a good chance we could see each other wandering around the parks. (See the countdown in my ticker versus YOUR ticker.)

I'll see you over on your PTR!

Thank you for setting me straight! Perfecta it is!!!

BTW- I think you will love the cruise. We have done two (Magic & Dream) and LOVED both. It's why we are overpaying to go on a 7 day on the Fantasy. The 5 night on the Dream wasn't enough time for us!!! Castaway Cay alone is worth it. That island is just pure :love:!

And TOO FUNNY about the tickers. I totally didn't even notice they are EXACTLY THE SAME! Yuppers we should be seeing you around!

I love that tour! There's a lot of really fabulous highlights and specials you're doing. Wish I could tag along.

Thank you for setting me straight! Perfecta it is!!!

BTW- I think you will love the cruise. We have done two (Magic & Dream) and LOVED both. It's why we are overpaying to go on a 7 day on the Fantasy. The 5 night on the Dream wasn't enough time for us!!! Castaway Cay alone is worth it. That island is just pure :love:!

And TOO FUNNY about the tickers. I totally didn't even notice they are EXACTLY THE SAME! Yuppers we should be seeing you around!

We shall see about the cruise. I am not saying I won't like it, but I am skeptical as to whether it will become a must do on my list. You never know though, if you had asked me back in 2000 if someday I would be going to Disney World EVERY YEAR, I would've said NO WAY! Our 2nd trip in 2000 felt like "Meh" after 1997. Now waiting 6 years until 2006 felt too long, but even then I wouldn't have imagined we'd be going every year. Now I am already a little bummed at no trip in 2014...thanks to the Disney Cruise (can't afford both).

{The ABD trip is really out of our normal spending ability. I sold off some stock options I got 10 years ago that could've been used other ways, but I chose to use them for this trip. That money is now gone, so realistically is any future ABD trips.}

I love that tour! There's a lot of really fabulous highlights and specials you're doing. Wish I could tag along.

Oh, you guys coming along would've been the only way to make the idea of this trip better.

It sounds really fantastic and looking forward to hearing first hand how you find it (minus spoilers). So excited for you!

So - some changes coming up to the plan. This is coming from Kevin Klose of the DIS himself.

Hi Folks,

I have some BIG NEWS!!!!

I have just gotten word from ABD that there will be some changes made to the Backstage Magic Adventure.

First, the Disneyland Welcome Dinner will be moved to the Big Thunder Ranch inside the Magic Kingdom.

Second, and this is BIG, Day 5 will start with a Character Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe and then into DCA prior to park opening for an experience at Soarin, a spin on Toy Story Mania and a backstage experience at Cars Land and "FastPass service to a select attraction".

Finally, your Farewell Dinner will now be held at the Carthay Circle Restaurant followed by VIP seating for World of Color.

This means that the Steakhouse 55 dinner and breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen have been replaced.

The Farewell Breakfast is still being held at Storyteller's Cafe.

So, changes and improvements to the itinerary still going on. These all seem like improvements to me.

My Comments on each one:
Dinner on Day 3 moved from Steakhouse 55 (in Disneyland hotel) to Big Thunder Ranch. I am OK with this change, depending on what the experience will be at BTR. If that means we are in for a BBQ and hoe-down, I'm all in!

Day 5 Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe instead of Goofy's Kitchen. Probably the only issue here is we now have 2 breakfasts at Storyteller's, which seems a little silly. But I guess Goofy's Kitchen is at the Disneyland Hotel, so they figure by keeping us in the same hotel we will be good to go for an early start in the park.

Into DCA prior to park opening for an experience at Soarin, a spin on Toy Story Mania and a backstage experience at Cars Land and "FastPass service to a select attraction". More detail than I actually wanted to know ahead of time, but no complaints here.

Farewell dinner at Carthay Circle: Yes PLEASE! We were thinking of eating here Friday, but doing it as part of the trip sounds even better.

So - some changes coming up to the plan. This is coming from Kevin Klose of the DIS himself.

So, changes and improvements to the itinerary still going on. These all seem like improvements to me.

My Comments on each one:
Dinner on Day 3 moved from Steakhouse 55 (in Disneyland hotel) to Big Thunder Ranch. I am OK with this change, depending on what the experience will be at BTR. If that means we are in for a BBQ and hoe-down, I'm all in!

Day 5 Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe instead of Goofy's Kitchen. Probably the only issue here is we now have 2 breakfasts at Storyteller's, which seems a little silly. But I guess Goofy's Kitchen is at the Disneyland Hotel, so they figure by keeping us in the same hotel we will be good to go for an early start in the park.

Into DCA prior to park opening for an experience at Soarin, a spin on Toy Story Mania and a backstage experience at Cars Land and "FastPass service to a select attraction". More detail than I actually wanted to know ahead of time, but no complaints here.

Farewell dinner at Carthay Circle: Yes PLEASE! We were thinking of eating here Friday, but doing it as part of the trip sounds even better.

Aside from you now having 2 breakfasts at Storytellers, all the changes sound great to me.

I'm looking forward to this TR.

So, did Kevin say if these changes are for your tour only, Pete, or did it sound like they are being made for all future tours as well?

So, did Kevin say if these changes are for your tour only, Pete, or did it sound like they are being made for all future tours as well?

He didn't say specifically, I posted the note verbatim, but it didn't sound to me like it was just for our trip.

Kevin started a thread about this over in the "regular" Adventures By Disney forum (not the ABD forum for the podcast) in which he said it was "an immediate change" which would start with the next adventure on April 28. He's been answering questions over there if there's anything else you wanted to know. :)

With eight weeks to go, it's hard not to spend time thinking about the ABD trip, but realistically we need to have some of our plans (ADRs particularly) in place before we leave on that trip.

So, what is the plan for WDW.

Well, first and foremost we are hoping for Free Dining. 4 of our 7 trips have used free dining, with the one of those being because we werent aware of its existence (2006), one a short surprise trip using APs (2010) and one staying DVC (2010). We really love eating at Disney TS restaurants, but the problem we always have is when you add on dining, the trip becomes more expensive than our budget can bear, especially now that DD @ 10 will be a Disney adult and is forced to pony up for the adult DDP. Without free dining, we would likely be staying at a value and not eating many TS meals. WITH free dining, a savings of $1500, we will stay moderate and eat TS every day and STILL spend less on the trip.

Based on the previous four years, certain weeks in the fall typically offer free dining to the general public. Two of those weeks are the 2nd week in November (the week AFTER Jersey week) and the 3rd week in October (one week after Columbus day). We really were having trouble deciding between a mid-October date and an early-November date. There were plusses to both cases, and in the end I did what I do when I cant decide something,I put together a list:

November 8-17th advantages:
  1. Last weekend of Food & Wine  F &W is a MUST DO for us. We did the last Sunday of Food and Wine last year, and it was really great. Crowds werent too bad either.
  2. Festival of the Masters  which we didnt catch last time, but it would be on the first weekend we are there. Cant say for sure if we will this time as its not in the plan right now, but its an option. I think DW would enjoy it a lot.
  3. Osborne Lights @ DHS (a family favorite) / JJJ parade / Castle Lights etc  in addition to the Candlelight Processional  which doesnt start until AFTER Thanksgiving  these are our favorite Christmas events at WDW  and they are available starting this week.
  4. MVMCP  We attended the MNSSHP in 2010, and I was extremely disappointed in it mostly because it was so crowded. Weve seen most of the events of this party for free in December, 2009, but DD doesnt remember them, and she asked if we could do this. So, were going to try to work it in. Im hoping an early in the week, early in the season party will be less crowded than the Thursday night Halloween party we did in 2010.
  5. Likely nicer weather. Mid-October is usually pretty good, but still can be hot. November seems to be near perfect temperatures, and less likelihood of hurricanes.
  6. Late Thanksgiving makes this week even more enticing than before! In 2011 the Thanksgiving crowds showed up at the end of the week. This wont happen here.
  7. Newest wrinkle. My Mom usually comes for a visit in the fall. She wants to come earlier this year, around mid-October for a week or two. Therefore, if she comes in October, we CANT go in October.
  8. DD usually gets a day off for Veterans day that week. Some years past, theyve also scheduled Parent/Teacher conference day that week. So, theres a chance instead of missing 6 days of school (we stretch the trip to the Friday before) as she would in October, it would be either 5 or even 4 days only. This becomes a big deal as she hits 5th grade.
  9. A LOT of parties around the end of October. Typically we have at least THREE parties on Saturday the 26th, one year we had FOUR to attend. Also, DWs grandmother celebrates her 94th birthday on the 24th of October.
October 18th  27th advantages:

1. More than 1 day of Food & Wine festival! Yum Yum.
  2. Mythbusters Tour? OK  this one is a bit crazy  but last year the Mythbusters live show came through Orlando around this time. Not a for certain, but if they were there at the same time we were  I would find a way to go and see the show.
  3. Musical Box plays in Buffalo early-November each year. A favorite band of mine that does a Genesis tribute of their early 70s concerts. Id love to see these guys every year when they come through (they world tour these performances). Always seem to come the first weekend in November, meaning the other dates would screw this up.
  4. Disney Y.E.S (Youth Education Services) available. For awhile Ive been aware of the YES program. It basically courses that you can have your child take at the Disney parks that are about 3-hours long. Theres one at DAK regarding Animal caretaking and another at Epcot around Marine Biology. DD would ultimately LOVE taking these classes. They dont even really cost anything. There are two problems. First, the program doesnt run into November, and second, in order to take part you have to buy a 3-day or greater ticket package (for the child and at least 1 adult) through the YES program. This becomes an issue with free dining, because you are ALSO required to buy a ticket package (usually minimum 2-day). So, IF we get free dining, then the Y.E.S.package + dining package would require us to buy two sets of base tickets. While you could save one set for a future trip, since we wont be coming back for probably 2 years again, this is a costly investment that we may not be able to afford.
  5. Finally meeting up with KHertz & DDuck4life friends on the boards for the last 4 years  our trips seem to ALMOST coincide, but never quite do. If we were to go this week, we might actually have a chance to meet in the real world!

In the end, when I chart things out like this, I see the advantages really lean towards November. Of the five advantages in October, two are hypothetical and not really critical to the trip. The extra day of food and wine doesnt really matter to us that much (1 day is really enough) While I really like the idea of the Y.E.S. program, the extra cost is a crusher (At least $600 of extra ticket charges.) Since DD doesnt know this exists, it wont hurt her. So, sorry KHertz, well have to wait another year or so!

But when thinking about it, if we CANT get free dining (always a possibility) that changes the dynamics. The extra cost means that MVMCP is probably out the window and the Y.E.S. package becomes much more appealing.
So, in the end I decided to plan TWO trips, not one. Plan A  the (hopefully) more likely trip of the two is planned for November, assumes Free Dining, park hopping, and a trip to see MVMCP. Plan B  the back-up plan  will be set for October while the YES program is still running. It will include NO dining plan, NO hopper, NO hard ticket event, and significantly less table services meals, and a likely downgrade to a value resort, depending on what room discounts would be available. Im going to book both sets of ADRs. However, we will book the trip with the intention of the November dates, including booking our Southwest flights. However, if they dont come out with free dining by July, well then decide if we are going to shift to the October dates. Because of my mothers visit, it is unlikely that we would move, but I want to leave the option open.

Is that too much planning...well just wait - the individual plans are coming up!

You're such a great Dis-Planner, Pete. And by posting the two alternate realities on the Dis to share with us, you've pretty much guaranteed universal agreement that it is the logical thing to do. ::yes::

I completely agree. Plan both trips and cancel one, re-jig the other when things become clearer in July. Can't wait to see your more detailed plans. :thumbsup2

You're such a great Dis-Planner, Pete. And by posting the two alternate realities on the Dis to share with us, you've pretty much guaranteed universal agreement that it is the logical thing to do. ::yes::

I completely agree. Plan both trips and cancel one, re-jig the other when things become clearer in July. Can't wait to see your more detailed plans. :thumbsup2

Yup, if I told any RL friends -" h yeah, I'm just planning two Disney vacations because I want to have a back-up plan" they would look at me like I'm a drunken sailor. Here, everyone's just says "Great idea!"

The big wrench in the works of moving the trip to October will be my mom coming. I suspect once those plans are firm they are unchangeable, and likely I won't get the October trip even without free dining.

The big tip-off of whether free dining will happen or not will really be if they have it in Aug/Sept this year. Every year people come out and say "no free dining", and every year they have it. The "evidence" this year is that they didn't offer any in the spring, but they've only ever done that twice, whereas aug/sept free dining has been 7 years in a row, and late-fall free dining has been 4 years in a row. (Maybe even 5 years - we used it in '09.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter