• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hilton Head Refurbishment

I just noticed that ALL remaining studio availability between now and Feb 1st has disappeared. There was full weeks of availability in Dec/Jan this morning. There's no way it just suddenly got booked :)

I just noticed that ALL remaining studio availability between now and Feb 1st has disappeared. There was full weeks of availability in Dec/Jan this morning. There's no way it just suddenly got booked :)
I noticed that as well with Sept through Jan? I saw the same issue with 1 bed, 2 bed, and GV at HHI only. Wonder what is going on?

I also wonder if this is a change in the refurb calendar. Originally it appeared studios/Live Oak Lodge was last to be refurbed.

Last edited:
I noticed that as well with Sept through Jan? I saw the same issue with 1 bed, 2 bed, and GV at HHI only. Wonder what is going on?

I also wonder if this is a change in the refurb calendar. Originally it appeared studios/Live Oak Lodge was last to be refurbed.
Seems odd that they would take EVERYTHING out of commission for several months. What on earth would be the reason for that?

Hmmm .. we have a 2 BR reserved Jan 13-20. Something tells me we are going to be surrounded by construction. Hopefully it will be winding down by then. Though looking on the bright side, I'd say our chances of getting a refurbed room at that point are pretty good!

We have a reservation for mid December. It will be interesting to see how full the resort will be! Hopefully we don"t get bad news about our reservation. We don't plan to be at the resort much anyway.

We were in building 30 last weekend and the 1 bed/studio lockoff is completed, but out of use.

I heard they will shut down the rest of 30 at the end of july, refurb it, then release to start on the next building one at a time.

We were in building 30 last weekend and the 1 bed/studio lockoff is completed, but out of use.

I heard they will shut down the rest of 30 at the end of july, refurb it, then release to start on the next building one at a time.
So that's what isn't making sense to me. If they are going to do one building at a time, then why would they take all buildings out of commission until 2/1?

Seems odd that they would take EVERYTHING out of commission for several months. What on earth would be the reason for that?
When they're unable to plan 11 months ahead of time, that's pretty much how refurbishments work. DVC blocks off all remaining availability while a schedule is worked out to systematically renovate all of the rooms. It is very unlikely that any current reservations are cancelled. Over the next 6+ months, some people will cancel for their own reasons and others may change plans to avoid the refurb.

DVC may even release some additional rooms after the schedule becomes clearer. But they don't want to risk trying to refurbish around 95% occupancy. Nobody wants the resort to be a construction zone for 2 years. Better to strike a balance between refurb speed and continuing to accommodate guests.

When they're unable to plan 11 months ahead of time, that's pretty much how refurbishments work. DVC blocks off all remaining availability while a schedule is worked out to systematically renovate all of the rooms. It is very unlikely that any current reservations are cancelled. Over the next 6+ months, some people will cancel for their own reasons and others may change plans to avoid the refurb.

DVC may even release some additional rooms after the schedule becomes clearer. But they don't want to risk trying to refurbish around 95% occupancy. Nobody wants the resort to be a construction zone for 2 years. Better to strike a balance between refurb speed and continuing to accommodate guests.
It will be interesting to see how they refurb DHHIR while running the resort.
There is not another resort they could transfer people to like at WDW.
I am curious how the VB and DHHIR refurb went last time?

I'm just trying to figure out how this will work for our November reservation in a 1 Bedroom. I use a walker, and we always request and , thank goodness get, a room in either Building 11 or 12 for the elevator. We've never needed an accessible villa, just the elevator to get there. Maybe this year will be different.

So that's what isn't making sense to me. If they are going to do one building at a time, then why would they take all buildings out of commission until 2/1?
Keep in mind that more often than not, issues with booking and what's available have more to do with IT matters than actual events--Disney's IT has always sucked. It could be a temporary glitch; might have to do with the refurb but the system can't handle the input. I wouldn't put too much stock into availability at this point. ;)

I’m guessing some folks in studios and 1 bedrooms may get an upgrade. Most studios were pretty much booked up from sept to December last time I looked. If you take 2 studios and 2 1-bedrooms out of inventory they have to put those guess somewhere. I have 7 one-night reservations throughout July to November as we drive to and from wdw & port canaveral The remainder of this year.

Glad we booked our Christmas stay last month. I actually jumped on the boards today to see if anyone knew why it looks to be completely booked. Thanks for the info all!

Keep in mind that 16 of the studio and 1 bedrooms lock offs are in buildings 11 & 12. So they will probably be doing some jenga/tetris-ing to get the refurb done while guests are there. The remaining 5 are in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28 and 30.

I'm just trying to figure out how this will work for our November reservation in a 1 Bedroom. I use a walker, and we always request and , thank goodness get, a room in either Building 11 or 12 for the elevator. We've never needed an accessible villa, just the elevator to get there. Maybe this year will be different.
I really hope you get it. Only once we didn’t in spite of requesting one, and it truly was horrible. Because of that one time, I now always book HA.

A HA studio has not been available from February through the end of May.

We will be there in two weeks and have an infant so we really need to be on the first floor or have an elevator. Do we call the front desk and request? I didn’t see anything on the check in to request it

We will be there in two weeks and have an infant so we really need to be on the first floor or have an elevator. Do we call the front desk and request? I didn’t see anything on the check in to request it
Call the number on the dhhir cash website and you can put in your request.
If you have a studio or 1 bed, they may can put you in building 11/12 with elevator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter