Hilton Head lovers....

As newbies to HHI this past weekend, my DW, DD4, and I weren't exactly sure what to expect, but we wound up having a grand time. Overall, it's certainly more relaxing than a trip to WDW. To be honest, I'm not a huge beach fan. I like'em just fine, but after a couple of days, I'm ready to move on. On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed the kayaking, the campfire (even though it was rain-shortened), B'Lou Crab, and the convenience of the pool and hot tub. The restaurants around the area were plentiful, and we availed ourselves of three of them. Two were superb (Ocean Grill and Old Oyster Factory) and one was good (Kingfisher). I'm glad we went, as it was a break from the ordinary.

WDWNewbie said:
Laurabearz--
Thanks for starting such a great thread! Wow--3 months ago this started and now you are almost leaving for your trip!

Have a fantastic time--and please let us know about whazzup with the activities/naturalist when you get back!

I sure will.....and I will have a full report when I get back!

I am such a great fan of HHI.... :-)

So many great ideas on this thread! The only thing I can think to add is to head out to the fishing pier one evening to enjoy the sunset. That is where I took the picture in my avatar. It was beautiful!

Our home base is HHI and we love it! We've gone the last 5 years around July 4th, and we're making it #6 when we go down there on July 3. We love the whole atmosphere! We try to go for a week in the summer and we've been going over New Year's for the last couple of years. You can do as much or as little as you want, and you can do it without hardly moving your car! My husband and I love getting up early and walking to the beach...the flowers and scenery is just beautiful. In July, they have fireworks every Tuesday (in addition to the 4th of July)...they have activities planned all day that you can choose to get involved in (mostly for kids), they have a pool table that's well occupied most of the day, etc. We love the slide at the pool......we always have fun with that. We've got a couple of restaurants we love going to ......The Salty Dog, the Crazy Crab, Guiseppi's (at Shelter Cove.....if you are from Pittsburgh like my husband, you'll love it because they have Pitts. Steelers, Pirates, and Penquins paraphernalia all over.....AND THEY HAVE GOOD PIZZA!) I could ramble on and on........but we all love going there! We'll be there from July 3 - 8....is anyone else going then? Have a safe and wonderful 4th of July everyone!
:cool1: :cheer2: :bounce: :cloud9: :earseek: :banana: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

WOW---we have never been to HH---but you mentioned several things that caught my attention---especially "relaxing!" Have you ever been to VB and how do the two compare? THANKS!

We just did our last trip to HHI for the year (Aug. 14th for a few nights), unfortunately!
We just love it there so much. I even got on the slide this time and was just like a kid, going over and over. This time (different from our spring trip there), we went crabbing and fishing. It was a blast. I got some really great , priceless shots of my children pulling up a crab net.
We also got to see Shadow this time!
And it's funny, but at home, it is so hard getting out of bed, but there I was up and ready to go by 6:30 a.m. I left DH and the kids in the bed two mornings. I just went riding around the resort on the bike. It was so wonderful! We had to cancel our BWV trip for Oct. and so now I am thinking of trying to get in a few days at HH during spring break.

To those of you going soon...enjoy...you will love it here!

Yippeee....heading to HH Monday morning. We spent one night there on the way home from Orlando last September, and I fell in love! :love:

I'm so excited! I have been working for 2 years to get my teaching certification (it's a second career - after health care administration and stay-at-home Mom). I wanted to do something special for my DH and DSs 9 and 8 for putting up with me the last few years. I looked into a number of different things and thought of Hilton Head (honeymooned there 13 years ago). Looked into the Disney resort - and found an AMAZING deal on Expedia - during week after Easter (when we're off from school Apr 17-22) - we got a 2 BR villa for $255 per night!

I LOVE the DIS boards and used them extensively for my last two trips to WDW - so now I'm back at it again - finding out loads of great info for our HHI trip.

Having a hard time concentrating on lesson planning, when I could be Disney planning!!!

I'll be on here frequently - looking forward to more great planning!!

Mary

We went the same time last year and it was pretty empty. The weather was iffy, one day in the 80's the rest in the hi 60s and low 70s. Had a great time doing to beach, pool, shopping and miscellaneous other site seeing. Definitely rent bikes and use them to get around some, it's fun. Also, say hi to B'lou for us!!

Enjoy!

MLbooks said:
I'm so excited! I have been working for 2 years to get my teaching certification (it's a second career - after health care administration and stay-at-home Mom). I wanted to do something special for my DH and DSs 9 and 8 for putting up with me the last few years. I looked into a number of different things and thought of Hilton Head (honeymooned there 13 years ago). Looked into the Disney resort - and found an AMAZING deal on Expedia - during week after Easter (when we're off from school Apr 17-22) - we got a 2 BR villa for $255 per night!

I LOVE the DIS boards and used them extensively for my last two trips to WDW - so now I'm back at it again - finding out loads of great info for our HHI trip.

Having a hard time concentrating on lesson planning, when I could be Disney planning!!!

I'll be on here frequently - looking forward to more great planning!!

Mary

We'll be there then as well!!! Leaving on April 17th and coming back on the 22nd. Already have one room booked, but on the waitlist for either two more studios or a one bedroom or 2 BR. Sure hope it comes through. We are wanting to take my BIL and family with us! We can't wait. Just hope this kids don't start having too many snow days that they end up losing their spring break.
OH, well... we're going anyway!! :cool1:
We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE HH!!

Thanks for the Great Thread, we are leaving Saturday 4/1/06 and the info in this thread has been a great help!

Denise

Great thread with lots of good info. We'll be there with another family the last week of July. Anyone ever done shark fishing? My husband is interested in this. Also -- best places to golf?

Yankee914 said:
Great thread with lots of good info. We'll be there with another family the last week of July. Anyone ever done shark fishing? My husband is interested in this. Also -- best places to golf?

We've done shark fishing through the resort the last two summers with Captain Scott. The first year, we had awesome catches -- rays & sharks. I also caught something which hit my line very hard and snapped it before I could reel it in. We have no idea what it was, but it hit so hard, I almost lost the pole. Still cool! Last year, it seemed to be hotter and the fish just were not biting as well. We did have an aweseme experience catching shad to use for bait. My kids loved picking them up after they came into the boat in a net. And, the dolphins swam right over looking for a hand out (but didn't get one -- much to my kids disappointment -- it's illegal to feed the dolphins).

Here's my little guy with his catch:

iC4AA1C1E-03DE-42FA-BD6A-7F60E093F18B.jpg

And my older son with one of his:

iA49675B1-0646-44EF-B045-AF6D69675C55.jpg

For our family, it's one of the highlights of our trip. We're definately looking forward to doing it again in July. :thumbsup2

They are so cute! Thanks for sharing the pictures. It looks like a lot of fun. We will definitely be doing this. Did you book in advance with Scott or just wait and see what they weather is like the week you get there?

Thanks.

Yankee914 said:
They are so cute! Thanks for sharing the pictures. It looks like a lot of fun. We will definitely be doing this. Did you book in advance with Scott or just wait and see what they weather is like the week you get there?

Thanks.

I think for the shark fishing we arranged it once we were there. IIRC, there were 2 time slots available and we chose the earlier one thinking it might be a little cooler.

If you haven't experienced Hilton Head in the summer, it's very, very hot and humid.

Woot! I love this thread and was about to look for it. Thanks for digging it up for me! We are going July 8th for a week!

We are expecting very VERY HOT and very very MUGGY weather. The good news is.... when your in the pool, or in the ocean it is absolutley lovely! I cant wait to sip on the drink of the day at the beach house.... those go down really good in the heat.

I must remember to get all the kids water shoes. the sand, the pool decks etc, will be blazing! I wish the pool decks had a cool spray of water on them like the veggies in teh supermarket!

I CANT WAIT!!!

Is biking there the best way to get to the beach? Thought it might be too hot when we are there the last week in July. Also, are there barbecues on site? We were thinking of barbecuing dinner one night - maybe roast some marshmallows.

It's a easy ride to and from the beach. My DS6 has been doing it for the past 2 years on a two wheeler. Not many hills -- straight and flat. We've always looked at the ride with the temperature and humidity as incentive to cool off in the water once we arrive. :teeth:

There is also a shuttle from the resort to the beach house. I've done this when we've had too much stuff to bring to the beach on bikes alone. DH will ride with the kids, I'll drive the stuff down there and head back with the car to the resort and ride the shuttle back to the beach.

I do have to forewarn you, I've only used the shuttle when I couldn't find a parking spot at the beach house. If you are planning on parking at the beach house, you need to get there either early or late. Mid-day will find no open parking spots.

There are BBQ grills at the resort. The one I can think of right now is located down by the circle parking area (buildings 29 & 31 I think) and another is by the playground. We've BBQ'd a lot and will definately be doing it again this year. Maybe we'll run into you there! :cool1:

The resort usually does a campfire with smores one night during our stay. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter