Hilton Head lovers....

Laurabearz

I cant load my bobbin!
I started a thread for those of us going to HHI in June and July and found out we have several members who are going to HHI for the first time this year.

I thought it would be great to have a thread where all of us who have been there could share some of our favorite things to do while staying at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort.

Any and all links are welcome too!

I'll start.

Here's the link to the current thread.... Hilton Head Restaurants

Our kids (5,4,1) LOVE the large playground in Sea Pines. We make an afternoon of hanging out there, lunch and a bit of shopping.

Next.....

Things we love about HHI?

1) going for a boat ride with Capt. Scott of Low Country Adventures.

2) relaxing

3) early morning wlaks to find shells and shark teeth

4) relaxing

5) beach combing, marsh walking and star gazing programs with Chris the Naturalist

6) relaxing

7) Tuesday's All-American program with pool games and fireworks.

8) relaxing

9) signing the kids up for MOvie Night and having our annual 'adult' dinner

10) did I mention relaxing?

Great idea, Laurabearz! :sunny:

Here's our list in no particular order because it would be impossible to pick one over the other:

1. Add us to the list of Captain Scott fans. :) :boat: We love to do the beach combing tour with him. Last summer, we went shark fishing with Scott and it was another awesome experience. I tell Scott he's our only paid friend. ;)

2. Our kids love to crab fish from the Disney pier. Nets are for sale at the rental window. For a couple of dollars, try to pick up some chicken necks at the grocery store. They make the best crab net bait. Lots of fun.

3. We love the beach and pool. July is hot and humid, perfect for water activities.

4. We love to walk over to Shelter Cove and hear Shannon Tanner's show. We have pictures of our kids with him every summer we've been there.

5. Not something I like to do at home, but I prefer to cook in the villa. We find it's much easier than going out. A couple of meals we have out -- always Salty Dog as it's my DS's favorite. In July, I'd like to try Sticky Fingers (I think that was the name of it).

6. Biking riding to and from the beach is a highlight also. My DS5 made it no problem on a two wheeler last year both ways. Unless you have a lot of beach gear, it's an easy way to get to the beach. No problem finding a parking spot for the bike. ;)

7. Our kids like to do whatever crafts they have going. They have done Gyotaki, bird houses and butterfly houses.

8. We enjoy playing shuffle board -- definately not something we do at home.

9. We love to go to the beach after dinner. Kite flying is awesome at that time. The kids love to see all the sand castles which were built during the day. There are many people strolling up and down the shore.

I'm sure I could think of a bunch more. Although we love WDW, it doesn't compare to HH. We find HH is truly a "family vacation" where we have fun, relax and just get away from it all. :thewave:

I am loving all your suggestions. I have been so worried that there won't be enough to keep the kids busy, but you guys keep coming up with some great ideas. We normally spend our summer vacation in Myrle Beach, but I wanted to use my points and give Hilton Head a shot. We are going in August and it just seems so far away now.

Laurabearz,

As one of the first-timers, a big thank you :worship:
We have done some research and have talked to other friends who have gone, but many of teh folks from tehboeads have gone numerous times and have provided great info.

Thanks again
:worship: :worship: :worship:

MSH1420

Hi,

1. Relaxing!!!!!!!

2. Reading or listening to a few books!!!

3. swimming or relaxing @ the beach.

4. Eating seafood. Yum!!!

5. Go back to #1!!!!!!!

Allison

All of the above mentioned ideas plus....

Going to the poolside BBQ/dance party/fireworks on Tuesday night! Last August we made our first trip to HH and Tuesday happened to by my oldest daughter's 7th birthday. We went on a dolphin cruise that afternoon (with Captain Scott of course) and saw tons of dolphins and a bald eagle. That evening, we attended the BBQ, stuffed ourselves silly, danced the night away by the pool, the DJ had the entire party sing Happy Birthday to my daughter and had her lead the conga line around the pool. Then, we watched the fireworks over the marsh, under the stars. Can't top that....

And, yes we are going back the same week this August and plan to do it all again.

Tuesday nights are a blast. This year we are skipping the food at the bbq. With 3 little ones we found we didnt have any time to eat! It is quiet crazy. LOL So we will eat first then party!!!

Anyone have a link to TOmmy's site????

Let DVC take care of your kids one night and have an adults-night-out. My recommendation...the Jazz Corner at the Village at Wexford. Most nights no cover, and the food is quite good. Coupons are available in some of the island tourist mags to get discounts on dinner there. We've seen families with teens there, but it might be boring for lil ones. :earsgirl:

I am a very hyper person and I will say that HHI is one of the best vacations I have ever been on.

I relaxed there more than anywhere else.

HHI has the Disney theme for the kids without the work of having to go on a Disney vacation.

Renting the bikes for the length of stay was just superb. You can just jump on the bike and casually wheel around the complex or to the beach.

The kids (7, 9, 11) loved being able to just jump on their bikes and cruise around without having to wait for us (no, we didn't let them go off premises).

And yes, the golf.......

The hammocks!
The smores campfire… “I said a boom-chicka-rocka-chicka-rockca-chicka boom!”

And most importantly,the peace and quiet..... :goodvibes

Macnjac87 said:
EVERY SINGLE THING!!! :flower:

Laurabearz- here's the link to Tommy's site:
http://ttowery.tripod.com/

Hilton Head Island is my happy place. :jumping1:
We just got back last night from our third trip and I have to agree! Add a visit to Sea Pines Forest Preserve, and walking around Harbour Town. Also, the Coastal Discovery Museum (is that the right name?) is worth a trip. Oh, and I noticed for dining that Hudson's has a seperate video arcade. I thought that was a great idea, when Mom and Dad want to linger over coffee, but the kids are antsy.

...And one more thing... we still get a kick out of the billboards for South of the Border on the way down 95...

Macnjac87 said:
EVERY SINGLE THING!!! :flower:

Laurabearz- here's the link to Tommy's site:
http://ttowery.tripod.com/

Thanks Jackie!!! I highly reccomend everyone checking out Tommy's site. I personally love the link to the live Salty Dog cafe web cam. I thought it would be a hoot to make a DIS sign and hold it up. Maybe we could have a minimeet there live on the web. :rotfl: Captures from the web cam

Macnjac87 said:

What an awesome way to sum it up!!

I forgot about the webcam at Salty Dog. My kids think it's awesome to see themselves.

cgcw said:
What an awesome way to sum it up!!

I forgot about the webcam at Salty Dog. My kids think it's awesome to see themselves.

How can you see yourself??? Thanks!

Sorry, I was not very clear about that. What I ment was after we were home, it was nice for them reminisce and see themselves then.

For anyone who isn't familiar with the Salty Dog, here's their website.
http://www.saltydog.com/webcam/

It looks rather empty there right now. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter