HHI LOVERS THREAD

What are the options to get from the main Lodge (Building 11) to the pool?

I booked a HA studio. Grandpa has limited mobility (he broke his neck and has spinal fusion). So I’m a little nervous about what appears to be a long walk. Will he need a wheelchair to be pushed? Or should we drive every time to the pool?

We usually use his rollinator, one of those walkers with a seat. But he cannot do a long distance and certainly not on uneven paths. Thoughts?
I think the rollator with seat may be the best bet. If you do have a wheelchair, bring it! The parking doesn't particularly give good access to the pool.

Maybe driving to the beach house and using that pool will be easiest. Sadly, HHI is not particularly HA friendly. There’s an elevator to take you up to pool level in the beach house.

I feel horrible saying this, as there are so many proponents of DVC’s HHI, but I’m currently here and we are completely underwhelmed. Our friends are staying at Sea Pines, which is so much lovelier.

There’s a DVC for everyone and not all DVC is right for everyone. Suffice it to say, this is not the DVC for me.

For those who have never been, I’m hoping this post might help? Here are my issues:
1. The rooms are dated and tired. The pull out couch has rips all over it. The carpet on the floor is grungy and really gross. The bathroom is very dated. The room is not configured efficiently. There’s little to no counter space in the bathroom. There could have been more storage. It’s just an unattractive and ugly room.
2.The cast members are fine but nothing special. I don’t understand why I keep reading about how special and wonderful they are. They are no better nor worse than any DVC CM’s elsewhere. If anything, I get platitudes from the CM’s but no real solutions when there is a question or issue.
3. The activities are sparse and not appealing (making trinkets are not our thing). The pool trivia happens 3 times a day, similar to the BWV activities. They do not have as much as BWV- no movie nights in the lawn, no campfire or s’mores.
4. No food after 4pm, which is fine- just surprising.
5. There’s no real Disney “magic”- although they do serve dole whip, which is really the only highlight of the resort/hotel.

It’s not a self sufficient “resort”- HHI is the destination and DVC is in the middle of the island but there isn’t anything about the DVC resort that stands out IMO. We might as well stay anywhere on the island, and next time we shall rent at Sea Pines. I would have preferred a resort that is on the beach side (as opposed to the marsh side).

Please don’t attack me. I just want to provide a different perspective for those exploring this particular DVC so they know what to expect. Maybe if I had know the above, I would have rented at Sea Pines and left a premium week open for someone who would have loved to be here.

Anyway, going back to BWV and BLT in sept/oct, our home away from home. Thank you DVC for providing options and something different for everyone. We are unlikely to ever go back to this particular DVC. More for the HHI lovers!

I feel horrible saying this, as there are so many proponents of DVC’s HHI, but I’m currently here and we are completely underwhelmed. Our friends are staying at Sea Pines, which is so much lovelier.

There’s a DVC for everyone and not all DVC is right for everyone. Suffice it to say, this is not the DVC for me.

For those who have never been, I’m hoping this post might help? Here are my issues:
1. The rooms are dated and tired. The pull out couch has rips all over it. The carpet on the floor is grungy and really gross. The bathroom is very dated. The room is not configured efficiently. There’s little to no counter space in the bathroom. There could have been more storage. It’s just an unattractive and ugly room.
2.The cast members are fine but nothing special. I don’t understand why I keep reading about how special and wonderful they are. They are no better nor worse than any DVC CM’s elsewhere. If anything, I get platitudes from the CM’s but no real solutions when there is a question or issue.
3. The activities are sparse and not appealing (making trinkets are not our thing). The pool trivia happens 3 times a day, similar to the BWV activities. They do not have as much as BWV- no movie nights in the lawn, no campfire or s’mores.
5. There’s no real Disney “magic”- although they do serve dole whip, which is really the only highlight of the resort/hotel.

It’s not a self sufficient “resort”- HHI is the destination and DVC is in the middle of the island but there isn’t anything about the DVC resort that stands out IMO. We might as well stay anywhere on the island, and next time we shall rent at Sea Pines. I would have preferred a resort that is on the beach side (as opposed to the marsh side).

Please don’t attack me. I just want to provide a different perspective for those exploring this particular DVC so they know what to expect. Maybe if I had know the above, I would have rented at Sea Pines and left a premium week open for someone who would have loved to be here.

Anyway, going back to BWV and BLT in sept/oct, our home away from home. Thank you DVC for providing options and something different for everyone. We are unlikely to ever go back to this particular DVC. More for the HHI lovers!

Hilton Head is obviously not for everyone, and much of what you say is true. The last rehab was an attempt to make the resort more modern, and some of it was 'okay' but, it was themed to be a 1940ties fishing lodge - not a modern entity. Of course that's no excuse for lack of amenities or comforts and I think the rehab missed that.

All that said, I still love Hilton Head and here's hoping that your words will keep a room open for me!

I agree with the lack of counter space in the bathroom. I was confused at first as I usually stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom, and then I realized you were probably talking about the studio bathroom. I always find the studios there just a little too gloomy, but they are fine as a 2nd bedroom when you have a living room to go to.

I'll have to disagree about the cast members. I think Hilton Head CM's go above and beyond. I also frequent BWV and other resorts at WDW several times a year, and I've met many great CM's at both. But, at HH, CM's take time to get to know you just a little more, see you often if you are there for a week or so, and it's not quite the same as being at a huge resort at WDW where nobody knows your name although they are always smiling and cheerful.

I've been going there since 1997, and not that much has changed. Maybe some paint colors and a few faces. My kids grew up going there on vacations and now my grandkids want to go to the 'green hotel'. They had their 3rd visit earlier this month and love it. They've also been to WDW a few times yet they asked to go to HH. I always feel as if I'm at my home away from home when I'm there and I rarely notice any of the shortcomings such as food offerings. The town itself has about 200 plus places to eat so we pick somewhere special during our visit, but mostly have family time and do some cooking in our kitchen.

The campfires and smores stopped last March, when everything closed down. I think a lot of the more adult activities have been put on hold, but hopefully all of those things will return soon. The ride to the beach has never bothered me and I actually like leaving the sand at the beach house. But, a lot of people prefer beach front properties in beach towns, myself included. It's just a different experience at Hilton Head, and not necessarily a one size fits all.

Hilton Head is obviously not for everyone, and much of what you say is true. The last rehab was an attempt to make the resort more modern, and some of it was 'okay' but, it was themed to be a 1940ties fishing lodge - not a modern entity. Of course that's no excuse for lack of amenities or comforts and I think the rehab missed that.

All that said, I still love Hilton Head and here's hoping that your words will keep a room open for me!

I agree with the lack of counter space in the bathroom. I was confused at first as I usually stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom, and then I realized you were probably talking about the studio bathroom. I always find the studios there just a little too gloomy, but they are fine as a 2nd bedroom when you have a living room to go to.

I'll have to disagree about the cast members. I think Hilton Head CM's go above and beyond. I also frequent BWV and other resorts at WDW several times a year, and I've met many great CM's at both. But, at HH, CM's take time to get to know you just a little more, see you often if you are there for a week or so, and it's not quite the same as being at a huge resort at WDW where nobody knows your name although they are always smiling and cheerful.

I've been going there since 1997, and not that much has changed. Maybe some paint colors and a few faces. My kids grew up going there on vacations and now my grandkids want to go to the 'green hotel'. They had their 3rd visit earlier this month and love it. They've also been to WDW a few times yet they asked to go to HH. I always feel as if I'm at my home away from home when I'm there and I rarely notice any of the shortcomings such as food offerings. The town itself has about 200 plus places to eat so we pick somewhere special during our visit, but mostly have family time and do some cooking in our kitchen.

The campfires and smores stopped last March, when everything closed down. I think a lot of the more adult activities have been put on hold, but hopefully all of those things will return soon. The ride to the beach has never bothered me and I actually like leaving the sand at the beach house. But, a lot of people prefer beach front properties in beach towns, myself included. It's just a different experience at Hilton Head, and not necessarily a one size fits all.
What will the 2022 renovation at HHI include?
I ask since many on this page have seen previous renovations at DHHIR.

What will the 2022 renovation at HHI include?
I ask since many on this page have seen previous renovations at DHHIR.

I'm sorry. I'm the wrong person to ask. I haven't kept up on when it will be renovated, mostly because I won't base time of visit or room request on it.

The one reno that I truly appreciated was putting hard surface flooring in the living area of the larger villas. In general I dislike wall to wall carpets because they can get 'grungy', even with shampooing. They softened it up with the fish carpet area rug, which was a nice touch.

The items I miss in the villas are the little birdhouse and the colored dishes. But it's my understanding that too many people 'liked' them.

I would like to see a more comfortable sofa and sleep chair. I dislike the fabrics.

Full disclosure: I was last there in March 2020. This March, 2021, I didn't go and daughter used the week's reservation with my grandchildren. So, I'm not sure of changes in the last year. Usually I get there about twice a year. I'm already booked for Thanksgiving.

Don't worry about being underwhelmed-I'm probably one of the biggest DHHIR fans, yet I can't disagree with lots you say.
It's not for everyone. "Tide Me Over" closing at 4:00? They did when we were there, too, last November and when DH went there around 3:30, they only had 2 choices left. And that couch-I definitely don't like it. We feel like we're sliding off all the time. I pray they're going to get rid of the couch when they refresh in 2022. Want more counter space in the bathroom? I'm afraid a 1 Bedroom is the only answer I know.

I agree with a lot of what you said (outdated rooms, tiny bathroom vanity—we were also in a studio), but luckily, my young girls were on the sleeper sofa and they had no complaints😆 Not being able to eat dinner on property after 4 pm was also a bummer.
However, we went over to Sea Pines, where we had also considered staying, and I was so glad we didn’t bc it was SO big and spread out and we would have had to drive or bike everywhere! Of course that works for some, but my youngest can’t ride a bike yet, so it’s something to consider.
As for the cast members at DHHI, maybe we were just fortunate, but I felt like they went above and beyond every day of our trip! Truly so attentive and kind. I loved feeling a bit of Disney magic, even though it wasn’t a parks vacation. From the snacks, music, topiaries,etc. And I personally loved the pool games, even though they were honor system, I am highly competitive (and honest) and people were cheating with their cell phones, so we never ever won, but that’s another story 😉
We loved the activities they had on site and I would 100% stay there again in a heartbeat. Also, no other resort on HHI is going to play Disney music or play trivia games with me, so they win on account of that! (Can you tell I needed even a tiny Disney fix?) Totally not trying to invalidate your feelings, just trying to give examples as to how some things work for some and don’t for others! ☺️

As for the cast members at DHHI, maybe we were just fortunate, but I felt like they went above and beyond every day of our trip! Truly so attentive and kind.
We loved the activities they had on site and I would 100% stay there again in a heartbeat. Also, no other resort on HHI is going to play Disney music or play trivia games with me, so they win on account of that! (Can you tell I needed even a tiny Disney fix?) Totally not trying to invalidate your feelings, just trying to give examples as to how some things work for some and don’t for others! ☺

I totally agree with what you are saying here!

First time staying at HH next month. Will be in a 1 BR - should I make a room request? Grandsons are 4 1/2 and 18 months. Only staying 2 nights.

First time staying at HH next month. Will be in a 1 BR - should I make a room request? Grandsons are 4 1/2 and 18 months. Only staying 2 nights.
I would definitely request access to an elevator if you think there will be a problem carrying equipment for the little ones. No units at HH are on the ground floor. The lowest ones are on the first floor, and the only elevator is in the main building.

I don't own at HH and I was able to book a 2 bdr for 6 nights over 4th of July weekend at the 7 month window. However, I suspect that I got a bit lucky on that.
I would say you did! A day or two or even three isn't unusual, but an entire week is a great get! The 2BRs are the most plentiful type of room at HHI, by far, but getting six straight days at that time is a some kind of pixie dust. Congrats!

You can always ask for a marsh view. As bobbi noted, there is elevator access but only at the main building where you check in. The far majority of the 1BRs are in that main building (11) or the attached building that shares the elevator (12). Only five other 1BRs exist throughout the rest of the resort. Should you get one of those five, they would be on the "first" floor; however, again as bobbi noted, there are no ground floors so the first floor is actually 11-12 steps up. Hope this helps your planning!

Are there any HA rooms on the top floors in those buildings that are connected to the elevator? I’ll be booking a two bedroom HA for a Gals trip next year.

Are there any HA rooms on the top floors in those buildings that are connected to the elevator? I’ll be booking a two bedroom HA for a Gals trip next year.
I'll have to check. I believe that the HA rooms are only on the first floor; however, I could be wrong. Technically, there are no 2BRs in Bldgs 11 or 12 (the elevator accessible buildings)--there are 1BRs and studios, and some of those connect to make a 2BR set up. I only mention this because Luv ran across this issue last week. Someone was insisting they had booked a straight 2BR in 11/12 and were upset they hadn't gotten "it." They had done it in years past, they claimed. Only, there is no such thing or category in 11/12. Just so you know. ;)

I'll have to check. I believe that the HA rooms are only on the first floor; however, I could be wrong. Technically, there are no 2BRs in Bldgs 11 or 12 (the elevator accessible buildings)--there are 1BRs and studios, and some of those connect to make a 2BR set up. I only mention this because Luv ran across this issue last week. Someone was insisting they had booked a straight 2BR in 11/12 and were upset they hadn't gotten "it." They had done it in years past, they claimed. Only, there is no such thing or category in 11/12. Just so you know. ;)
I think that's correct. The only HA 2 Bedrooms that I'm aware of are in the main lodge, but on the first floor behind Big Murgie's Den. They're actually a 1 Bedroom and studio, lockout, which are combined to make a 2 Bedroom. I'd be curious if there are any others anywhere else.

Thanks sleepydog25 and Simba’s Mom. I was just curious. I know the unit will be a lock off, that’s how they are listed in the reservation area. Apparently the roll in type shower can be in the studio or in the one bedroom section.

As long as we have the elevator to access the room, we will be fine wherever the roll in type shower is.

Tomorrow is the day I can actually book the two bedroom for my friends and myself. Then all we have to do is wait 11 months to get there!

DH and I will be there in May. I don’t have to wait that long to enjoy that beautiful resort! :goodvibes

I don't own at HH and I was able to book a 2 bdr for 6 nights over 4th of July weekend at the 7 month window. However, I suspect that I got a bit lucky on that.

Us too! We don’t own there either, but I got July 3-5th (4th of July weekend) in a 2 bedroom at exactly 7 months. I could have booked a whole week at the time. I knew there were the most of this size unit so I figured we might get lucky as opposed to trying a 1 bedroom again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!