HHI LOVERS THREAD

Headed down over Thanksgiving. We usually go in early September and are looking forward to trying this new, cooler, time. Hopefully all four kids (two are adults and one lives on the west coast) will be able to join us.

I'm sure people have been there over Thanksgiving before, so any advice on where to get a holiday dinner would be much appreciated. Probably to bring in to the villa, if possible. We're a take out kind of family in the best of times. TIA
This probably won't help you but this brought back memories of our Thanksgivings at DVCHHI many years ago and the resort cooked deep fried turkeys at the beach house to pick up for Thanksgiving dinner.

Headed down over Thanksgiving. We usually go in early September and are looking forward to trying this new, cooler, time. Hopefully all four kids (two are adults and one lives on the west coast) will be able to join us.

I'm sure people have been there over Thanksgiving before, so any advice on where to get a holiday dinner would be much appreciated. Probably to bring in to the villa, if possible. We're a take out kind of family in the best of times. TIA

We're VERY experienced Thanksgivingers. We went "just once" in 2006, and we haven't missed a year since. We get a "Love bird" dinner from Signe's Bakery. It's made for 2 people, so it probably wouldn't "do" for your group.
Both Fresh Market (down to the right from the resort) and Kroger have pre-made dinners. Also, I think Kenny B's and One Hot Mamma's (maybe) deliver them. Start checking the local newspaper, the Island Packet about a month beforehand for advertisements. Ahh, I remember the "good ole days" when the CMs would cook the turkeys in the center of the resort, and the resort itself offered a pre-made dinner. Oh, the aromas! HHI-2009019.jpgHHI-2009021.jpgHHI-2009019.jpgHHI-2009021.jpg

Super Pics!! Heading down tomorrow....just wondering how the gas situation is on the island?? Any info??

TIA!!! :flower1:
Well, it depends on where you go and when. Obviously, later in the afternoon, stations tend to get busier and, yes, some stations might have tight supplies. The Kroger gas station near the resort had about half the nozzles covered yesterday. And some other stations near the resort had longer than normal lines. However, the stations in Bluffton were operating seemingly with few issues or crowding. We drove by several stations this afternoon and none were backed up. Prices were all $2.79 to $2.89 unless you're a club member of EnMarket, Parker's, et. al. Of course, things can change but there doesn't seem to be much panic here. Safe travels!

Returning to this resort in the very near future. It has been probably 7-8 years since we have stayed here. Very fond memories. Have a few questions- has anyone ever done crabbing off the pier? If so, how much was the supply rental and how successful were you?

also does anyone have a recent activities flier that they would not mind sharing?

thanks!!!

Here's the most current one, though another will be out shortly. I don't remember the exact cost of the crabbing, but I believe it's in the neighborhood of $15. . .and often successful.

SamR just got this response on 5/16 while checking in at DHHIR:
"I checked into Disney's HHI Resort this afternoon. At check-in, the cast member said, "I have some good news. Disney Corporate just called us to tell us that the change in mask policy at Disney World extends to us here. You do not have to wear a mask outside when on property."

I just want to let people know on this thread that I started a HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread under DVC Resorts for anyone interested!
I also added a South Carolina DVC Owners Group under Mousellaneous for any SC residents on this thread!
Just PM me or post on there so I can add you to the owner's list!

Last edited:
I am needing to rent a wheelchair during an upcoming visit and possibly a wheelchair with the big wheels for the beach.

Any ideas?

TIA

I am needing to rent a wheelchair during an upcoming visit and possibly a wheelchair with the big wheels for the beach.

Any ideas?

TIA
Unsure of where to rent either (both), but the Beach House does have a big balloon tire wheel chair available for use, though not rentable or reservable. However, it is infrequently used.

Unsure of where to rent either (both), but the Beach House does have a big balloon tire wheel chair available for use, though not rentable or reservable. However, it is infrequently used.
And here it is! When you first get in it and head to the beach, DH said it was extremely difficult to push. However, once on the beach sand, it was a different story-so effortless. So tell whoever's pushing not to be discouraged by how it responds GETTING TO the beach. I looked into renting a walker once, and would have used a pharmacy on Main Street-Burke's, I think. Or maybe call the front desk.
As far as usage of the beach chair, I also have never seen it in use except for the 2 times I used it that year. The CM was super nice, almost as if I was doing them a favor by giving it some use!

Attachments

• 24828A3E-6C14-4E05-95FD-048EA49E60A6.jpeg
    24828A3E-6C14-4E05-95FD-048EA49E60A6.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 18
Returning to this resort in the very near future. It has been probably 7-8 years since we have stayed here. Very fond memories. Have a few questions- has anyone ever done crabbing off the pier? If so, how much was the supply rental and how successful were you?

also does anyone have a recent activities flier that they would not mind sharing?

thanks!!!

thanks!!!

We went crabbing a few weeks ago. I believe it was a little over 2 dollars for about five frozen shrimp for bait and 5 dollars I think for the net. It might have been 10, but it was for sure not expensive. We got some great tips from someone who has experience crabbing which helped us catch a decent amount more than left to our own devices. Instead of using the shrimp Disney provides you may be better off bringing some chicken from the deli section of the grocery store or some lunch meat and tying it with string to the bottom of the net. The best time to crab is two hours before or two hours after high tide. With this kind lady’s advice and some chicken she kindly shared with us we caught quite a few crabs.

We went crabbing a few weeks ago. I believe it was a little over 2 dollars for about five frozen shrimp for bait and 5 dollars I think for the net. It might have been 10, but it was for sure not expensive. We got some great tips from someone who has experience crabbing which helped us catch a decent amount more than left to our own devices. Instead of using the shrimp Disney provides you may be better off bringing some chicken from the deli section of the grocery store or some lunch meat and tying it with string to the bottom of the net. The best time to crab is two hours before or two hours after high tide. With this kind lady’s advice and some chicken she kindly shared with us we caught quite a few crabs.
Did you boil, pick and eat them???

We have been to HHI many times, always in the summer or fall. We are thinking of going next spring break which is the first week of April. Can anyone who suffers from seasonal allergies tell me how bad their allergies are that time of year? My allergies here in KY usually don’t hit until the end of April and are usually over by now, but I’m having a really rough day today. I’m allergic to tree pollen, grass pollen, and ragweed. I just don’t want to get there next April and be miserable!

Did you boil, pick and eat them???

We did strictly catch and release. We are city people and had no idea what we were doing until the kind lady who had grown up in the area stepped in to show us how to catch them. The kids had a blast and so did we. The crabs we caught were also likely too small to eat. There were two likely reasons for this. There was a commercial fisherman who set a trap not far from the pier which likely caught the bigger crabs. It was also early in the season (May) so the younger crabs had not grown yet. Definitely a fun and inexpensive activity. Depending on your skill and when you go you could definitely catch your own dinner.

And here it is! When you first get in it and head to the beach, DH said it was extremely difficult to push. However, once on the beach sand, it was a different story-so effortless. So tell whoever's pushing not to be discouraged by how it responds GETTING TO the beach. I looked into renting a walker once, and would have used a pharmacy on Main Street-Burke's, I think. Or maybe call the front desk.
As far as usage of the beach chair, I also have never seen it in use except for the 2 times I used it that year. The CM was super nice, almost as if I was doing them a favor by giving it some use!
The beach chair was switched out for a newer model with yellow tires a few months ago. Still easy to maneuver on the beach.

I am excited to visit HH for the first time for next New Years. Any info on recent (but pre-covid) activities that may happen on NYE?

We noticed there was a bike rental place on the way to the beach house. Not sure if that is the one you are talking about, but they seemed very popular too. Saw lots of people with their bikes. Of course I cannot remember the name. Sorry.
How much does Disney currently charge for a week? I have looked at several other places and they seem to be about $40 +/- for a week. With six of us, price makes a difference and I am probably more comfortable having something reserved versus getting there and not enough bikes available. Also, does anyone rent road bikes as opposed to beach cruisers? The family would like the cruisers, but I will be preparing for a century ride and would like to be able to really get on the roads and ride if possible.

Thanks,
Laurie

How much does Disney currently charge for a week? I have looked at several other places and they seem to be about $40 +/- for a week. With six of us, price makes a difference and I am probably more comfortable having something reserved versus getting there and not enough bikes available. Also, does anyone rent road bikes as opposed to beach cruisers? The family would like the cruisers, but I will be preparing for a century ride and would like to be able to really get on the roads and ride if possible.

Thanks,
Laurie
Disney's pricing is roughly the same, though I don't believe they have road bikes. Plus, if you want to be assured a bike, then you might want to look beyond Disney. As for "really get(ting) on the roads," just be aware that during peak season especially, riding on anything but the bike paths isn't recommended. Of course, the 100+ miles of bike trails on HHI are shared by cyclists of all skill levels. If you get out early in the morning or late in the evening, your odds of having a relatively "quiet" ride will be better.

Can anyone let me know how many steps from the ground there are to get into a 2BR when it is not in the Live Oak Lodge?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter