HHI LOVERS THREAD

yes, I think it’s normally held the week after the masters so presumably it will revert next year.
Thanks. How early do they announce the dates? We are wanting to try out late April/early May on the island and want to avoid the crowds.

Was this year's tournament moved to June due to coronovirus? I noticed the dates were June 18-21 this year, but I always thought it was in April.

Yes, and it's televised. So if you're geeky about HHI, like me, you can watch the tournament, just so you can get a peek of Harbourtown. Actually, in our house, DH has played that golf course, so he always likes to see how the pros play holes versus how he did. And for once, I don't mind watching with him!

Was this year's tournament moved to June due to coronovirus? I noticed the dates were June 18-21 this year, but I always thought it was in April.
Yes, the PGA canceled most tourneys for this spring including the Heritage.

The tourney will now be played without spectators (but it will still be on TV). I have a tennis friend who lives in a condo across from the 18th green. There are strict rules about going anywhere near Harbourtown this weekend unless you live in that area.

The pro golfers all started arriving over the past couple of days, but the local Heritage tourney atmosphere is very subdued compared with the normal event.

The plan is for the even to return to the week after the Masters event going forward.

Enjoy! :)

Yes, the PGA canceled most tourneys for this spring including the Heritage.

The tourney will now be played without spectators (but it will still be on TV). I have a tennis friend who lives in a condo across from the 18th green. There are strict rules about going anywhere near Harbourtown this weekend unless you live in that area.

The pro golfers all started arriving over the past couple of days, but the atmosphere is very subdued compared with the normal event.

The plan is for the even to return to the week after the Masters event going forward.

The number of private jets flying in and out of HHI was very noticeable Mon and Tues.

Does anyone know if they are allowing non-guests on property? We had to cancel our spring break WDW trip this year, and will be in HHI in mid-July. I was hoping they would allow us to come in, get a Mickey Premium Bar and maybe let my daughter do some pin trading if they still have their boards available to make up a bit for our lost trip.

I was wondering if they would let non-guest DVC members access the Beach house. Will be there in Mid July as well and were unable to secure a reservation at Disney's resort, but craving Dole Whip, which I understand is available there.

I was wondering if they would let non-guest DVC members access the Beach house. Will be there in Mid July as well and were unable to secure a reservation at Disney's resort, but craving Dole Whip, which I understand is available there.
The Beach House has a public access for the snack bar and rest rooms on the north side of the facility. Otherwise, access into the Beach House is via guest room key only.

You can certainly ask at the front desk at the main lodge about visiting the Beach House and touring the resort. Those traveling to the Beach House will need to have a gate pass to even enter that area of Palmetto Dunes. If you are staying at Palmetto Dunes, you will already have the gate pass and I'd just use the public access point to purchase a Dole Whip.

The Beach House has a public access for the snack bar and rest rooms on the north side of the facility. Otherwise, access into the Beach House is via guest room key only.

You can certainly ask at the front desk at the main lodge about visiting the Beach House and touring the resort. Those traveling to the Beach House will need to have a gate pass to even enter that area of Palmetto Dunes. If you are staying at Palmetto Dunes, you will already have the gate pass and I'd just use the public access point to purchase a Dole Whip.

Thank you for the info!!!

Day 4 at DHHIR, and all is well. Weather has been a bit off-kilter--not bad just different than normal. Cooler overall, less sunshine, and rain early rather than later in the day (currently 9:45 and it's raining). CMs have been great, as usual. A few notes for those planning to stay here in the coming weeks.
- The basic amenities are still here: pool, beach house, Tide Me Over, Mercantile, shuttle, bike rentals, et. al.
- No tours as of this writing.
- Social distancing is especially observed on the Tide Me Over deck and Mercantile. Outside of that, Disney requires you to wear a mask on property, and most of the CMs will remind you if you don't. Still, quite a few guests don't observe that rule, regardless.
- Masks not required in pool area. And that's fine. However, that's where the largest congregation of people takes place, especially the hot tub, so we've avoided the pool altogether. Besides, the weather has been off and on iffy, anyway.
- Off site, few people wear masks except maybe a 50-50 split in the grocery stores where we've shopped.
- PSA: Realize, this is just one person's POV, but if you're a bit leery of venturing out in this age of the virus, please be aware that SC, in general, and HHI, in particular, is not for the faint of heart. As I mentioned above, few outside of the resort wear masks. While most restaurants attempt to keep tables six feet apart, few appear to succeed. Fishcamp on Broad Creek does a good job of distancing most outside tables. Scott's Fish Market, conversely, does not. We've walked by a few times and the tables don't appear any farther apart than normal, thus many patrons are sitting literally two feet away from the next person. All that to say, if you have an immune-compromised person in your family, you will have to take extra precautions to feel safe.
- We've cooked most of our meals in the room, securing our fresh seafood from Bennie Hudson's and Kroger (masked, of course). It's a great way to enjoy the local food and still be safer. We have eaten out three times. Once at Ela's (nice distance between tables) and twice at Fishcamp.
- We've truly enjoyed getting a little Disney feel after all this time, and the resort feels even more laid back given the tenor of the times.

EDITED TO ADD: They've taken all the seating away from the Tide Me Over deck, replaced by signs on the deck itself about where to stand when ordering from TMO or waiting to walk into the Mercantile (no more than four customers at one time in there). You order your food and then walk down the stairs to the now defunct shuffleboard area where there are picnic tables where you can wait to be brought your order.

Last edited:
We have stayed at Disney's HHI many times, and I still don't know the answer to this question. Can people you aren't staying at the resort visit the resort? I know the Beach House has keyed entry, so the only thing that can be accessed there is the side window of Signals. What I'm wondering is whether the main resort can be accessed--as in the grounds, the gift shop, Tide Me Over, and Big Murggie's Den. I know the pool can't be accessed due to the keyed gates. I have some friends staying in Shelter Cove in a couple of weeks, and they are thinking of buying into DVC and were wondering about touring the grounds. I know it's easy to walk over from the marina, but since the resort is actually gated, I wasn't sure that was truly allowed.

If they're staying at Shelter Cove, it's easy enough to walk over and view the grounds, see Tide Me Over, and step into the Mercantile. That being said, your friends should be aware that patrons are being asked to wear masks the entire time they're at the DHHIR except in the pool area. In the past, we've stopped by while staying in Palmetto Dunes (we could never snag a summer reservation at DHHIR) and ordered Mickey waffles and bought Mickey bars. We always drove in, and the CMs were happy to let us wander. With the COVID issue, I don't know they would let in vehicles where there was no reservation attached to the family. But, walking in? As long as they were mindful of the restrictions and social distancing, I don't see an issue.

If they're staying at Shelter Cove, it's easy enough to walk over and view the grounds, see Tide Me Over, and step into the Mercantile. That being said, your friends should be aware that patrons are being asked to wear masks the entire time they're at the DHHIR except in the pool area. In the past, we've stopped by while staying in Palmetto Dunes (we could never snag a summer reservation at DHHIR) and ordered Mickey waffles and bought Mickey bars. We always drove in, and the CMs were happy to let us wander. With the COVID issue, I don't know they would let in vehicles where there was no reservation attached to the family. But, walking in? As long as they were mindful of the restrictions and social distancing, I don't see an issue.
Thank you for the information! One more question--I know Palmetto Dunes is gated which is how you get to the Beach House. How should I tell them to get to the Beach House in order to enjoy a Dole Whip at the side window of Signals?

Thank you for the information! One more question--I know Palmetto Dunes is gated which is how you get to the Beach House. How should I tell them to get to the Beach House in order to enjoy a Dole Whip at the side window of Signals?
If they don't have a windshield pass, they will have to walk or bike to the Beach House (approximately 1.5 miles). I know many of the condo ownerships within Shelter Cove (Harbourside comes to mind) have privileges at Palmetto Dunes, so rental guests may, as well. As we are staying at Harbourside I tomorrow for two nights, I guess we'll find out.

If they don't have a windshield pass, they will have to walk or bike to the Beach House (approximately 1.5 miles). I know many of the condo ownerships within Shelter Cove (Harbourside comes to mind) have privileges at Palmetto Dunes, so rental guests may, as well. As we are staying at Harbourside I tomorrow for two nights, I guess we'll find out.
Thank you! I'm not sure where they are staying, just that it's in Shelter Cove. Have fun on your trip!

Thank you! I'm not sure where they are staying, just that it's in Shelter Cove. Have fun on your trip!
We enjoy Shelter Cove a lot since so many things are close by: Disney (especially if staying here), restaurants, shops, views, activities. And with a 10-minute walk, you're in the Shelter Cove shopping center which has more restaurants, shops, Kroger, Whole Foods, and more. Three to five minute drive nets you Fresh Market, more restaurants, mini-golf, et. al. Best of all, it's a quick bike or shuttle or drive to the beach. . .or walk if you're of a mind to. ;) We're checking out of the Disney resort in a couple of hours, and we'll simply be schlepping our gear to Shelter Cove for a couple more nights.

We plan on staying far away on the beach and cooking mostly in the room. I'm sure we will eat lunch at the beach house but that's really only because I feel like Disney is being appropriately cautious. The rest of SC has been awful in terms of numbers and we definitely will not be venturing out of the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter