***Hey, Hey! Come right in and plan, OFFICIAL OCTOBER 2017 thread!!!***

With so many people re-scheduling their sept. trips due to Irma, I was wondering what people on the Dis felt like the first week in Oct. looked like. We are less than two weeks out, have ADRs and FP+ booked but where not going in with a game plan and now am regretting my decision. Worried that it will be summer crowded. The last time we went in Oct. there was the Government shutdown and many people came to WDW instead of going other places and it was insane. We were hoping for a better situation this time. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

So we’re officially doing an interstate move and a Disney trip at the exact same time. The movers arrive to cart our stuff away and the next day we fly to Florida. I’m neck deep in lists and spreadsheets trying to keep everything straight. I just have to make sure the suitcases don’t make it into the moving truck! The kids are super excited - they leave school on a Friday, and after a week at Disney they start a new school in a new state - thankfully one with a lot of extended family nearby to cushion the landing. And here I thought the last few weeks before the trip would drag slowly by.

With so many people re-scheduling their sept. trips due to Irma, I was wondering what people on the Dis felt like the first week in Oct. looked like. We are less than two weeks out, have ADRs and FP+ booked but where not going in with a game plan and now am regretting my decision. Worried that it will be summer crowded. The last time we went in Oct. there was the Government shutdown and many people came to WDW instead of going other places and it was insane. We were hoping for a better situation this time. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
We were there the first week of October last year and it was crowded. Our week happened to be the week that many schools were closed for break on the east coast, something we weren't aware of until it was too last to change it. October is a very popular month at WDW and I would count on it being crowded. That way you won't be surprised.

Well with ADRs and FP that's somewhat of a game plan in my book. Maybe just go in with an idea of how long you'll stay at each park or what will make you want to go back to your hotel and take a break. Because we'll only be at the WDW side of town for 4 days, I have more evenings planned out than I normally would.

I don't know. I know how crowded it's supposed to be, there are no rooms, etc.

But I was just looking at our dates (10/25-11/3) and there are still sooooo many restaurant ADRs available through Halloween and tons of fast passes! Soarin, Test Track, etc., everything at MK except Mine Train and Peter Pan. Everything at AK except FOP and Everest for certain times.

I don't know. I know how crowded it's supposed to be, there are no rooms, etc.

But I was just looking at our dates (10/25-11/3) and there are still sooooo many restaurant ADRs available through Halloween and tons of fast passes! Soarin, Test Track, etc., everything at MK except Mine Train and Peter Pan. Everything at AK except FOP and Everest for certain times.
The dining I attribute to no free dining during our timespan. The FP+ will change for big attractions once we're out of our 60 day window.

The dining I attribute to no free dining during our timespan. The FP+ will change for big attractions once we're out of our 60 day window.

So that's a good thing, people can still choose dining practically day of!

I checked 10/11, 10/13 and 10/18 using my sister's room only ticket, so less than 30 days out. The only ride at Magic Kingdom not available for those dates was Mine Train and even that was available late night on 10/11. The only ride at Epcot not available was FEA. And FOP not available for AK.

Just giving some people hope that things may not be a dire as these boards are making October out to be. :) A lot of people seem so worried.

Last edited:

So that's a good thing, people can still choose dining practically day of!

I checked 10/11, 10/13 and 10/18 using my sister's room only ticket, so less than 30 days out. The only ride at Magic Kingdom not available for those dates was Mine Train and even that was available late night on 10/11. The only ride at Epcot not available was FEA. And FOP not available for AK.

Just giving some people hope that things may not be a dire as these boards are making October out to be. :) A lot of people seem so worried.
Ahh I get what you're saying. I think some people on the boards can be alarmists. Yes, Disney did extend hours, but attendance has been declining.

I went around the same time last year and attended a sold out MNSSHP. I have to say, it felt very manageable. As long as well all go in with FP+ and a decent plan, I think we will be safe :-)

Sometimes people on these boards freak me out about everything. Like, October is going to be insane. Or MNSHHP is too crowded, not fun, and not worth the money. Or, the monorail is always broken down. Don't make plans for Test Track because it goes down left and right. :P It's good to offer criticisms where they are due, but it can get a little alarmist here sometimes! We have our reservation and our ADRs (minus one elusive one that I didn't decide we wanted until 2 months ago and still haven't been able to grab) and exactly the FP+ we wanted. If it's crowded in the parks, we'll still be okay and enjoy our time. :)

Today is our 30 day mark!!!! I might be freaking out a bit from excitement! My kids are at the sweetest ages for Disney (5 & 7) and we can't wait to get there to build some fantastic family memories!

Sometimes people on these boards freak me out about everything. Like, October is going to be insane. Or MNSHHP is too crowded, not fun, and not worth the money. Or, the monorail is always broken down. Don't make plans for Test Track because it goes down left and right. :P It's good to offer criticisms where they are due, but it can get a little alarmist here sometimes! We have our reservation and our ADRs (minus one elusive one that I didn't decide we wanted until 2 months ago and still haven't been able to grab) and exactly the FP+ we wanted. If it's crowded in the parks, we'll still be okay and enjoy our time. :)

Today is our 30 day mark!!!! I might be freaking out a bit from excitement! My kids are at the sweetest ages for Disney (5 & 7) and we can't wait to get there to build some fantastic family memories!
I like your mindset. It's DISNEY, it's going to be fun and exciting no matter the crowds or hiccups. Having a plan, even a loose one definitely helps every time of year.

Absolutely agree @TulipMom - our grandchildren (3and 8) are counting down on their Mickey board (29 days today). We have made our plans but have 100% flexibility and will make the most of our lovely resort too - we intend a few evening meals at DS and if that's too packed we'll find other restaurants nearby (I love Bahama Breeze!). Can't wait :)

So, I have been living and breathing disney planning for a few months now. My husband turned to me last night and said "What are you going to do with your free time when you don't have to plan anymore?" :scared:
I politely refrained from giving him the DISboard official answer "PLAN ANOTHER ONE!" :teacher:
I told him I have lots of projects around the house I could start on and he could help! :rolleyes1
But, I am not ready to think about after the trip before the trip! :crazy2:

Call DME directly and give them new flight info . 866-599-0951 is the number. You can give them your baggage claim tickets at DME check-in and they'll grab checked bags for you that way too.

My flight didnt change my hotel did so now my tags say All Star Music but I am going to be at All Star Movies because with the fall discount their preferred rooms were cheaper than ASMu standard rooms. I updated my info with ME but they didnt send me new tags so I am too worried that they will send our bags to ASMu and with how late we are arriving (9:15pm) I dont want to deal with our bags getting misplaced and having to stay up super late waiting for it to all get sorted out when we want to rope drop the next morning at AK.

October is not the slow season, anyone who tried to move around reservations a few months ago got to experience that first had. It's also mostly not included in many discounts including free dining. It is school break for many including myself. I know that Irma shifted some more people into the parks/resorts during our trips but it was never going to be a ghost town so I am not sure how much we will notice the shift in crowd sizes from those particular guests. I dont know if most people really feel the difference between a 6 and 7 or a 7 and a 8. Perception plays such a big role here. Just plan for big crowds and be pleasantly surprised if its not as crowded as you were planning for. There is fun to be had in any crowd size

My flight didnt change my hotel did so now my tags say All Star Music but I am going to be at All Star Movies because with the fall discount their preferred rooms were cheaper than ASMu standard rooms. I updated my info with ME but they didnt send me new tags so I am too worried that they will send our bags to ASMu and with how late we are arriving (9:15pm) I dont want to deal with our bags getting misplaced and having to stay up super late waiting for it to all get sorted out when we want to rope drop the next morning at AK.

If I were arriving that late, heck any time after 6 pm, I'd probably just retrieve my bags myself. I know it's losing a good benefit, but I'd rather wait at the baggage carousel for 20 minutes than wait hours, possibly overnight.

Perception plays such a big role here. Just plan for big crowds and be pleasantly surprised if its not as crowded as you were planning for. There is fun to be had in any crowd size

I agree. I went into our 4th of July trip expecting huge crowds. It was a pleasant surprise to find that it was less crowded than I expected it to be. :)

Yep trip is creeping closer! Having to do my november trip FP one day at a time now-and all the crowd calendars have "Insane crowds" all thanksgiving week-yet I had a wide choice of FP and times for MK for Monday of that week-including SDMT!

Anxiously waiting for my skirt from Etsy now-it has been 3 weeks and no skirt. I even contacted seller beforehand to be sure it was going to be here in time...too soon to send an email asking for ETA?

Originally our Oct. 11 Animal Kingdom day didn't have Rivers of Light scheduled. When they extended the hours recently they added two shows for that night. :yay: I have been constantly checking the dining reservations to see if they open up Rivers of Light dining packages for that day, but they haven't. I talked with a CM on the phone about it and she had no idea why there wouldn't be for that day and advised I keep checking. If they don't offer them before we go is it possible to request it at check in? Has anyone ever converted to a dining package at check in before?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter