Help me plan an wonderful "last trip" for 2022

lalasmama

DIS Veteran
I'm planning super early, I know ;-)

Hub's mom is approaching 80. She enjoys Disneyland quite a bit, so we'd like to take her for a trip knowing that it will likely be her last trip.

We're looking at 2022. It will be 4 adults (MIL, Hubs, our adult-ish daughter and myself), and no kids, so we would like to do some "grown up" experiences that we wouldn't normally do when bringing our grandkids. It will also be the high school graduation trip for our will-be-18yo daughter.

Planning on Napa Rose for a wonderful meal. I thought about a tour like Walk in Walt's Footsteps, since MIL loves historical stuff, but I'm not sure she will like the go-go-go pace of the tour (nor would she be able to get up those stairs easily).

What other great ideas do you have? Thoughts on how to make it most enjoyable for MIL? She's always been pretty spry, but we're going to insist on a scooter for her.

Does your MIL have any favorite experiences or certain attractions that are important to her?

I know if it was going to be my last trip down, I’d want to contribute to the planning to make sure my personal must-do experiences were covered.

I would use a wheelchair instead of a scooter if she has to manipulate the scooter. It is exhausting to use a scooter or a wheelchair.....and you never see Disneyland from the those perspectives.

focus on the street events of Main Street and Castle Hub much activity takes place between the castle and train station. My grandmother, and now my mother, just love to sit and watch the environment around them as they were pushed about in their wheelchairs in non-disney sites.

I caught the Pearly Band at Christmas by accident and was ashamed at all of the street events I missed because I was rushing from entry to entry, rather than taking in the details.

and if she loves history, then explore the left over clues of what was at Disneyland, now gone, but remnants still exist from decades past.

and there is the I Spy trivia game of the top 10 special details at Disneyland, that no one sees, because they are rushing from entry to entry. So a book of plain pages to to write in details or tape recipts or postcards or leaves, etc.

I would suggest Tea at DLH. My daughters and I love it, and try to do it every time we go.
Take in the Frozen show. It is a great way to escape from the heat. Have a meal at Carnation Cafe and enjoy something Walt would have there.
Ride all the vehicles on Main Street.
Ride the train once around the park.
Ride the monorail in the front cone, and in the back cone.
Take pictures everywhere, with the whole family in the picture.
Try treats and share them. This is best done while watching live entertainment. (Alice and Mad Hatter playing musical chairs on Main Street, for example).
Have a meal, or at least, a snack at Flo's. Sit by a window and enjoy the sites.
Do every attraction your mom wants to do and for as many times too.

Does your MIL have any favorite experiences or certain attractions that are important to her?

I know if it was going to be my last trip down, I’d want to contribute to the planning to make sure my personal must-do experiences were covered.
Great thought! Unfortunately, she doesn't enjoy planning. It increases her anxiety. She does much better with a "Hey, we have this all planned, be ready to go on x date at y time."

So, we're paying attention to what she comments on when we talk about our trips. But still need ideas to add!

Plan on renting a wheelchair instead of a scooter for her. Especially if she can't see very well. She might protest and insist that she can walk the entire day, but she could easily put in 9 miles of walking. Most elderly folks aren't used to that kind of endurance.

She'll probably get worn out and tired much faster than she realizes, so plan on taking breaks. TS restaurants will be helpful for this...plan on probably one per day. Make sure you eat a meal at French Market, preferably when the band is playing.

Make sure to get plenty of photos! If you can put together a photo book of your trip as a surprise gift, your MIL (and DH, too) might really appreciate that. Would your MIL enjoy a day trip to a nearby beach? Maybe lunch at a nice restaurant with an ocean view? Laguna Beach might be nice for that.

I would suggest Tea at DLH. My daughters and I love it, and try to do it every time we go.
Take in the Frozen show. It is a great way to escape from the heat. Have a meal at Carnation Cafe and enjoy something Walt would have there.
Ride all the vehicles on Main Street.
Ride the train once around the park.
Ride the monorail in the front cone, and in the back cone.
Take pictures everywhere, with the whole family in the picture.
Try treats and share them. This is best done while watching live entertainment. (Alice and Mad Hatter playing musical chairs on Main Street, for example).
Have a meal, or at least, a snack at Flo's. Sit by a window and enjoy the sites.
Do every attraction your mom wants to do and for as many times too.
I think theYea at DLH is a great idea.

if she likes night time shows I think the World of Color dessert party is also an amazing treat that makes you feel VIP with a seat where your not pushed and shoved. I agree with the others about renting a wheel chair as opposed to a scooter. They take getting used to if shes not already used to it.

Last edited:
Another vote for World of Color Dessert Party.
Maybe you can find somewhere/somehow that she can practice operating a scooter before the trip? There is ZERO way that my spry 85 year old mother would agree to being in a wheelchair in the parks (even though she now has a bad knee). If yours is anything like mine- that suggestion will not go well. Mine would love to zip around in a scooter, but I would want her to have practice first.

Another vote for World of Color Dessert Party.
Maybe you can find somewhere/somehow that she can practice operating a scooter before the trip? There is ZERO way that my spry 85 year old mother would agree to being in a wheelchair in the parks (even though she now has a bad knee). If yours is anything like mine- that suggestion will not go well. Mine would love to zip around in a scooter, but I would want her to have practice first.
This was my thought, too--there's no way she's going to agree to be in a wheelchair, so we're going to have to take her to practice somewhere to get used to driving a scooter. Getting her to agree to the scooter will be hard enough, haha! Thankfully, she's still got great eye sight, and great reflexes (she still drives, and makes me less nervous driving than when my teen is behind the wheel, lol), so I'm hoping she's a quick study with it!

I would not count on 80 being a last trip! My Mom is 80 and loves going. We are local to Disneyland and she could not imagine not having an AP. And she is super disappointed that we are cancelling our September WDW trip. My Mom has every intention that she will be going to Disneyland's 75th anniversary in 10 years when she is 90! We have also met a woman a couple times at Disneyland who was celebrating her 91st and 92nd birthday there. Still using her rollator to walk in the parks even! We do get a wheelchair for my Mom at DL (ECV at WDW). She does some combo of sitting in it or pushing it empty.

In terms of rides, she does pretty much everything except tea cups (no spinning), Guardians of the Galaxy (no huge drop rides), and CA Screaming (no upside down). But those were rides she has never been willing to try. Oh and Matterhorn, we would never to be able to get her out of it like when the seats were different. She also does not like Autopia or the rockets. But really most other things she will ride. A few she has to be in the mood for.

We did love the World of Color Dessert party as it gave us a seat for the show. Same with the Main Street Electrical parade dinner package. We will do some of those things as it makes it easier for us to see those shows/parades.

Following along to hopefully steal some ideas. 😄
April was supposed to be our last trip with a very close immediate family member. He wasn't expected to make it through summer, then moved up through spring. With the COVID stuff and him immediately going into isolation, no contact, super bleach everything, etc, they are now guessing he should make it through the summer.
I'm going to do everything I can to get a Sat reservation as soon as possible for July. I'm just bummed stuff like WOC F! won't be there, but we are still going to do everything we can to make it memorable (it's his 50th next month too!)
Reading your post makes me feel happy in a weird way, knowing im not the only one in a similar situation

Following along to hopefully steal some ideas. 😄
April was supposed to be our last trip with a very close immediate family member. He wasn't expected to make it through summer, then moved up through spring. With the COVID stuff and him immediately going into isolation, no contact, super bleach everything, etc, they are now guessing he should make it through the summer.
I'm going to do everything I can to get a Sat reservation as soon as possible for July. I'm just bummed stuff like WOC F! won't be there, but we are still going to do everything we can to make it memorable (it's his 50th next month too!)
Reading your post makes me feel happy in a weird way, knowing im not the only one in a similar situation
This is such good news! Pixie dust that this time your trip happens and is really magical for your family.

I thought about a tour like Walk in Walt's Footsteps, since MIL loves historical stuff, but I'm not sure she will like the go-go-go pace of the tour (nor would she be able to get up those stairs easily).

I'm confused about what steps you are referring to. Last year was my first time at DL and I went on the tour then and there were no required stairs. There is an elevator to Walt's apartment...maybe that is new? It is an outside elevator like at the speedway. You can even take a wheelchair inside the apartment.

I would suggest if you do the tour to speak up and make sure your guide does not loose you or starts talking before you arrive because I've experienced that too many times. People are often oblivious to the fact that someone in a wheelchair can't see so don't hesitate to speak up...most are kind and obliging, just ignorant.

Also, there is a handicap bathroom right where the tours begin and where the meal is.

I'm confused about what steps you are referring to. Last year was my first time at DL and I went on the tour then and there were no required stairs. There is an elevator to Walt's apartment...maybe that is new? It is an outside elevator like at the speedway. You can even take a wheelchair inside the apartment.
Interesting--when I did the tour (maybe 2017?) they made a point to tell us that it was not wheelchair accessible. It was a very slow climb up (and back down) the stairs for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter