Help me pick the best UY & resort for our family of 5!

Yes. They expire at the end of their use year. But you can only secure a booking within 60 days. So I have some holding points right now. I want to book in July. Right now everything is wide open for July, but I cannot book until May (60 days out). When I go to book, availability will be tighter. But it will be doable because it is July. For the most part DVC people use their points in the fall, Christmas break/NYs, spring break, and Easter.
Wow I was definitely wrong, that’s so much better than what I had thought the process was like and really helpful! Thank you!

Last edited:
I had a completely wrong idea of the 60 days holding process too. I thought you only had another 60 days to use them, but you have until the end of the UY, just a 60-day advance window until then. That makes way more sense. Phew! Glad you mentioned that or I would have had the wrong idea on how that worked. Thank you!

Sorry to pull away from the point of the thread but do you mind explain this a little further? I think I’ve misunderstood what happens when you cancel less than 31days from the reservation. We’ve only been members for a little under a year and this is the first time this situation has happened.

I have to cancel a 1 night booking in early Jan that was a last minute addition to a longer trip. I was just thinking of finding a booking for similar/exact point value within the 60 days following and try to rent it out since I assumed I had to use them within 60 days of the existing booking. But you’re saying that as long as the points don’t expire (Aug 2023 points) I can use them anytime until the end of July but at a 60 day booking window?
So in order to free up points that are in holding.

Lets say you cancelled a trip and now have 100 points in holding

If you have a trip that is coming up later in the same use year that costs 125 points, when you’re 60 days out from that trip, you can go in and modify the trip without changing anything and the system will automatically pick up the points in holding. Obviously if the trip was booked during home resort priority 7-11 month window they need to be the same home resort but if booked within 7 months then it doesn’t have to be. This frees up the other points that made the reservation originally and since you’re 31+ days out, those freed points won’t go into holding. Now everything else still applies to them like banking window and etc. so if by the time this happens and you’re past the banking window you still need to use them before the end of the UY but if not you can bank them and use them like normal.

There’s definitely perks to having an obscene amount of points and helps fuel my addonitis but ya know 😅

I had a completely wrong idea of the 60 days holding process too. I thought you only had another 60 days to use them, but you have until the end of the UY, just a 60-day advance window until then. That makes way more sense. Phew! Glad you mentioned that or I would have had the wrong idea on how that worked. Thank you!
Yep, I had the same understanding. This is comforting knowing there’s a bit more wiggle room, I was panicking a bit earlier haha

So in order to free up points that are in holding.

Lets say you cancelled a trip and now have 100 points in holding

If you have a trip that is coming up later in the same use year that costs 125 points, when you’re 60 days out from that trip, you can go in and modify the trip without changing anything and the system will automatically pick up the points in holding. Obviously if the trip was booked during home resort priority 7-11 month window they need to be the same home resort but if booked within 7 months then it doesn’t have to be. This frees up the other points that made the reservation originally and since you’re 31+ days out, those freed points won’t go into holding. Now everything else still applies to them like banking window and etc. so if by the time this happens and you’re past the banking window you still need to use them before the end of the UY but if not you can bank them and use them like normal.

There’s definitely perks to having an obscene amount of points and helps fuel my addonitis but ya know 😅
This feels like a revelation haha thank you, I would have had no idea this was possible!

This feels like a revelation haha thank you, I would have had no idea this was possible!
I always encourage people to play around with their points and try and see what you can do obviously as long as you don't send any points into holding or into the wrong use year unintentionally LOL

Wow… you are really in trouble if you are west coast based and have resale Grand Cal holding points….no real option but to rent them out

Just a few things I noted as reading thru this thread:

Right now I'm leaning towards CCV resale,
I'm a little lost on the CCV resale - you'll have to be in a 2BR in just a couple of years to fit your family. CCV is a hard 4 count plus 1 under 3 in studios and 1BR's. I'd not even consider it if looking at value unless you were looking only for points to stay other locations and long term use there after the kids head out.

To go along with that, I'm thinking that we may want to buy Riv direct in the future, b/c I can't shake the thought that they will be deeply discounted once the new Poly tower goes on sale and the location is fantastic b/c of the Skyliner. But I've also heard that they have no problems selling rooms there so aren't in a hurry to close our their DVC sales.
I think you can shake that thought. DVC just isn't into deep discounts unless it's on very large amounts of points and they're wishing to bump up their sales numbers. 50 points and less is almost always at no discounts. Poly opening won't have an affect. In terms of selling DVC is in it for the long term. They also will sell multiple resorts at one time and actually can pretty much sell whatever they want to with a few choice marketing phrases. ie - if you're not willing pay $217 or whatever RIV might be at that time then cross that idea off.

.... it's just not calling to me at all knowing how much we love the theming of WL.

I agree with what you're saying about Poly, I am certain the point chart for the new tower is going to be high. I would say we definitely enjoy the vibe there too, but it feels so cramped in the lobby.
FWIW - I love WL (1st contract was VWL (aka BRV) but also love BLT. There's a few of us that way. Although to be honest there isn't a DVC I dislike. lol Pluses, and minuses, to all of them.

Can you explain your UY order recommendation? I was thinking June would be best b/c our main travel months are going to be June-Dec, which means I could cancel and bank anything within that time period. What am I missing?

June UY is what you want for a couple of reasons. Your planned trip times all fall before it's banking deadline in case of cancellation where you could still bank and 2) - your major trip will be in the summer so the most points to potentially have in holding etc and need the most time to rebook with. The best UY's are ones that give you a bit of "free" insurance in the way of more time to use the points if you have to cancel however any and all will work. Given the choice I would pick the best UY possible though for that protection.

Regarding resorts, this may not help much but thoughts are that I don't see summer availability changing a ton unless DVC does some really drastic changes with the point charts for that time. (unlikely) Summer generally has good availability for 1BR's and 2BR's and even some studios so where you own is not likely to be where you have to stay. Your Nov/Dec is the more likely to be staying where you own but being those will just be a couple of nights generally then waitlists etc are easier to fill. Since you like SSR and would be fine staying there I'd consider that a good option. I also really think BLT could be a good one. I would not recommend CCV because of the 4 person limit for studios and 1BR's.

For the Poly tower I am expecting the point charts to be at the top so pretty similar to what you see for VGF charts.

Well the theme will always be the same. The decorative items that help create the theme will change, but ultimately create the same theme.
In the eyes of the designer, not necessarily the eyes of the folks here on DISboards! :duck:

(Is BWV supposed to evoke the Atlantic City of the late 1800s/early 1900s or the 1920s/1930s?)

Just a few things I noted as reading thru this thread:

I'm a little lost on the CCV resale - you'll have to be in a 2BR in just a couple of years to fit your family. CCV is a hard 4 count plus 1 under 3 in studios and 1BR's. I'd not even consider it if looking at value unless you were looking only for points to stay other locations and long term use there after the kids head out.

I think you can shake that thought. DVC just isn't into deep discounts unless it's on very large amounts of points and they're wishing to bump up their sales numbers. 50 points and less is almost always at no discounts. Poly opening won't have an affect. In terms of selling DVC is in it for the long term. They also will sell multiple resorts at one time and actually can pretty much sell whatever they want to with a few choice marketing phrases. ie - if you're not willing pay $217 or whatever RIV might be at that time then cross that idea off.

FWIW - I love WL (1st contract was VWL (aka BRV) but also love BLT. There's a few of us that way. Although to be honest there isn't a DVC I dislike. lol Pluses, and minuses, to all of them.

June UY is what you want for a couple of reasons. Your planned trip times all fall before it's banking deadline in case of cancellation where you could still bank and 2) - your major trip will be in the summer so the most points to potentially have in holding etc and need the most time to rebook with. The best UY's are ones that give you a bit of "free" insurance in the way of more time to use the points if you have to cancel however any and all will work. Given the choice I would pick the best UY possible though for that protection.

Regarding resorts, this may not help much but thoughts are that I don't see summer availability changing a ton unless DVC does some really drastic changes with the point charts for that time. (unlikely) Summer generally has good availability for 1BR's and 2BR's and even some studios so where you own is not likely to be where you have to stay. Your Nov/Dec is the more likely to be staying where you own but being those will just be a couple of nights generally then waitlists etc are easier to fill. Since you like SSR and would be fine staying there I'd consider that a good option. I also really think BLT could be a good one. I would not recommend CCV because of the 4 person limit for studios and 1BR's.

For the Poly tower I am expecting the point charts to be at the top so pretty similar to what you see for VGF charts.
I’m not super worried about the sleeping at CCV. We can always do two studios, and the 2 bedroom is only 8 pts more a night. Wr could do a smaller contract just for the short holiday stay.
Yes I think SSR is great for us for SAP. I won’t do BLT, I’ve seen enough to tell me that it’s not our vibe. It looks like a tacky beach condo from the exterior, and I already live in Florida and can do that any time for a lot less money plus have beach access.
Maybe I’m not understanding the motivation for the VGF incentives in the summer. Basically it sold direct for at or less than resale. If RIV incentives got to the VGF price point we’d prob consider it.

I’m not super worried about the sleeping at CCV. We can always do two studios, and the 2 bedroom is only 8 pts more a night. Wr could do a smaller contract just for the short holiday stay.
Yes I think SSR is great for us for SAP. I won’t do BLT, I’ve seen enough to tell me that it’s not our vibe. It looks like a tacky beach condo from the exterior, and I already live in Florida and can do that any time for a lot less money plus have beach access.
Maybe I’m not understanding the motivation for the VGF incentives in the summer. Basically it sold direct for at or less than resale. If RIV incentives got to the VGF price point we’d prob consider it.
The motivation for the VGF incentives is Disney is having a hard time selling GF rooms on the cash side. People are getting free upgrades to GF from other deluxe resorts and that’s after they completely sold out of the DVC building. Riviera isn’t having that problem. If anything I think Disney wishes they could convert another GF cash building to DVC if they could.

That's fair about BLT. I don't think anybody's bought BLT for the theming, you buy it for the fireworks view and location. Just buy CCV and do enough for a 1BR for now and then add more down the line and get it up to enough for a 2BR and you're set.

Last edited:
haha - Tacky beach condo....ummm, nope but that's your call. Not a single beach condo is walking distance to MK. ;)

VGF was an outlier and it took at least 150 points purchased to get that low. I'm not positive what you're referencing on less than resale. If you mean less than resale that it had jumped to at the time that DVC stopped selling VGF for a period that was simply a market reaction. Plus everything was selling at resale highs just 1-1/2 years ago. I thought you were speaking of a small direct add on and those don't get discounted. If that is so your comparison is $217/pt or more compared to say $90-$95/pt at SSR.

Back to CCV - there does have to be an adult in each room and no studios connect there. Again I thought you were talking of value and 8 pts a night can add up both in purchase requirements and dues. But I'm getting the feeling value isn't the main concern which is fine, just changes the talking points.

The motivation for the VGF incentives is Disney is having a hard time selling GF rooms on the cash side. People are getting free upgrades to GF from other deluxe resorts and that’s after they completely sold out of the DVC building. Riviera isn’t having that problem. If anything I think Disney wishes they could convert another GF cash building to DVC if they could.

That's fair about BLT. I don't think anybody's bought BLT for the theming, you buy it for the fireworks view and location. Just buy CCV and do enough for a 1BR for now and then add more down the line and get it up to enough for a 2BR and you're set.
2 bathrooms in a 1BD and 3 bathrooms in a 2BD…. The value of those as kids turn into pre-teens and teenagers…

Also, not having to ever walk very far to get to your room….

If they put in a Murphy bed and a pull down under the TV… and spruce up the art work a little bit….

I have been reading this thread and would also point out it will be difficult to secure one let alone two CCV studios during DVC "fall frenzy," especially December. CCV studios are split with walk-in shower/tub categories, have studio sized contracts sold on point hungry cabins, and have "Favorite Weeks" sold. Availability will be scarce. There's a thread going on right now about VGF availability for early December from a recent purchaser. It can be very difficult.

I would personally pick a resort that can hold your entire family in a studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom.

I have been reading this thread and would also point out it will be difficult to secure one let alone two CCV studios during DVC "fall frenzy," especially December. CCV studios are split with walk-in shower/tub categories, have studio sized contracts sold on point hungry cabins, and have "Favorite Weeks" sold. Availability will be scarce. There's a thread going on right now about VGF availability for early December from a recent purchaser. It can be very difficult.

I would personally pick a resort that can hold your entire family in a studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom.
I agree. CC studios in fall frenzy and AK value rooms are the toughest category to get anywhere, any time. Get enough for a 2B att CC.

haha - Tacky beach condo....ummm, nope but that's your call. Not a single beach condo is walking distance to MK. ;)

VGF was an outlier and it took at least 150 points purchased to get that low. I'm not positive what you're referencing on less than resale. If you mean less than resale that it had jumped to at the time that DVC stopped selling VGF for a period that was simply a market reaction. Plus everything was selling at resale highs just 1-1/2 years ago. I thought you were speaking of a small direct add on and those don't get discounted. If that is so your comparison is $217/pt or more compared to say $90-$95/pt at SSR.

Back to CCV - there does have to be an adult in each room and no studios connect there. Again I thought you were talking of value and 8 pts a night can add up both in purchase requirements and dues. But I'm getting the feeling value isn't the main concern which is fine, just changes the talking points.
Our goal with DVC is to pick a place we actually want to visit and hang out at without needing to always be in a park. We will most likely only buy APs every other year b/c it gets expensive for 5. On off years we may choose to bank those points, or just do a couple of short stays as an easy getaway and bank the rest. So I want to make sure we buy somewhere that we actually want to be. We don’t spend an excessive amount of time at MK so buying within walking distance isn’t high on my list. Now if BLT had amazing theming and aesthetics we’d probably be all over that, but so would a lot of other people snd it wouldn’t be affordable for us.

We understand the sleeping at CCV. We own a small travel trailer, so we’re used to being in a much smaller space all together. And I get the difficulty in getting studios. We are only considering it for the hard to book times, which are never going to be our main vacation times, so shorter stays. If SSR is always available, then I’m finding it hard to want to buy there when the cost over the life of the contract is equitable to CCV.

Value is a huge concern, I thought CCV had a points chart comparable to a 2042/2054 resort, which is what makes it such a good value. Maybe I’m wrong there.

Latest posts

facebook twitter