Heelys / Roller Shoes - Yes or No??

Out of control children are *perfectly delightful* on heelies.:angel: I found it perfectly delightful when I was having an MRI on my knee after being knocked to the floor in a department store by an :angel: on heelies. The steroid I take helps the pain and swelling and I hope to be able to use my FL WDW Residents pass again this year before it expires. That may not happen but just knowing the dear :angel: was enjoying himself so much in the store unattended by his mother gives me a warm spot in my heart... so it's all good. :)

don't you know they really didn't knock you down. They just whizzed by you and you thought that they would knock you down. Your perception is just messed up because you are too cheap to buy heelys for your children ;) ;) :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

On a more serious note... I hope you have a quick recovery. Did you report it ot the store? Did the "little angel" say a word after plowing you over?

Heelies are just like any other piece of sporting equipment. There is a proper time and place for them. Obviously stores, parking lots, theme parks and schools are no-nos. The problem is too many kids think of them as shoes.

My DS has had a pair for about a year now. He knows the rule. They are NOT shoes and if I catch him wearing them in an inappropriate place I will confiscate the wheels and they will become shoes with holes in the bottom and nothing more.

The scariest thing I've seen related to heelies was a pair of 7/8 y/o girls zipping out from between a pair of parked cars (the cars were illegally parked inside a playground area) and they smashed right into a boy about 10 who had been running to catch up with a friend. The boy wound up with a bloody lip/nose after the collision the girls were fine but looked horrified at him as he was crying. The scary part was that it happend just so fast... wheels can do that.

don't you know they really didn't knock you down. They just whizzed by you and you thought that they would knock you down. Your perception is just messed up because you are too cheap to buy heelys for your children ;) ;) :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

On a more serious note... I hope you have a quick recovery. Did you report it ot the store? Did the "little angel" say a word after plowing you over?

Report it??? I *refused* to get up out of the floor till management came! I knew I was hurt though and that medical attention was required. When the mom finally showed up (she was in another part of the store when this happened), she kept repeating, "But he just got these yesterday." :confused: Gee...reckon that excuses everything. He's a "novice" so I shouldn't hold his plowing into me against him.

Heelys... ugh... I saw today how they can be deathtraps when a kid lost control on them at MGM and went down hard, almost taking some other people with him.

Report it??? I *refused* to get up out of the floor till management came! I knew I was hurt though and that medical attention was required. When the mom finally showed up (she was in another part of the store when this happened), she kept repeating, "But he just got these yesterday." Gee...reckon that excuses everything. He's a "novice" so I shouldn't hold his plowing into me against him.

While I hate that youwere hurt, I['m glad you knew ir right away. I could see someone easilythinking that they could could wlak it off, or it wasn't too bad. I mean being injurred in general. Sounds like you injury was severe and know imediately

My dd wore Heelys for a while, and had rules for them - like taking out the wheels when we were in stores, school, ect..

I'm not sure why there's so much hostility toward the things. To me they aren't any different then unruly kids on skateboards, bikes, or scooters. And I've had way more encounters with those kids then ones wearing Heelys.

When is the last time you saw skateboard allowed indoors or in crowded theme parks?

The issue I have with Heeleys are that kids are using them where they should not be. It isn't safe to use these in crowded places (stores, WDW, etc). It isn't the same as playing tag, but I don't think that should be done in stores either.

I have personally been run into by kids on Heelys as has DH. This happened because the kids were not paying attention to us STANDING.

Also, yes I do perceive them to be dangerous, but I have seen it first hand. I watched a girl try to skate doen the monorail ramp only to fall flat on her face. This would probably not have happened if she were just walking.

I have no issues with parents that allow their kids to wear these IF they are worn at the appropriate places.

Oh, and it IS against the rules to wear these at WDW. I am tired of people saying there are no signs to indicate that. WDW doesn't put up a sign for every little thing that is not allowed. If you have read that they are banned, but still allow your kids to wear these at WDW, why?

Kids running into people in Heelies in stores is NO different from kids running into people because they are running around loose in stores. It's been said over and over again in this thread, but the problem is the parenting (or lack thereof) of the menace children in Heelies.

I've seen loads of kids wearing them and rolling along side their parents at a fine pace and causing no trouble whatsoever. The parents that let their kids run wild in stores are the same ones that let their kids heelie wild in stores. Kids should be supervised when out in public until their parents are confidant that they can be trusted to treat other people with respect. The issue that the Heelie haters are bringing up has nothing to do with Heelies, but everything to do with parenting.

These days parents are so wishy washy about discipline. They're afraid a spanking might cause permanent damage to a child (NOT!). Or that a good firm "No" or "Stop that" will turn their child into a introverted zombie. COME ON! How many of us (30 and older) are permanently damaged from a spanking (or 50) given to us at an appropriate time as children? I bet some of those smacks on the butt just saved our lives. Whose parents let them run wild in the grocery store as kids? Not mine! I would have been grounded forever for behaving like that.

Which brings me to another point. As far as getting hurt on these things go, think about how many people survived riding their bike without protective gear, riding in cars without seatbelts, playing outside all day without sunscreen. That's not to say that seat belts and sunscreen are stupid inventions, I use both every day, but kids are not nearly as fragile as parents of today believe. If heelies are a "toy" that would get my kids up and moving, then heck yeah they can have some (provided I had the income to provide them). But rest assured, my kids would get the "mommy pinch" from you-know-where if I caught them using them inappropriately.

[/Rant]

Kids running into people in Heelies in stores is NO different from kids running into people because they are running around loose in stores. It's been said over and over again in this thread, but the problem is the parenting (or lack thereof) of the menace children in Heelies.

The difference is the number of kids who run into people because they are caught off guard and can't stop.

Which brings me to another point. As far as getting hurt on these things go, think about how many people survived riding their bike without protective gear, riding in cars without seatbelts, playing outside all day without sunscreen. That's not to say that seat belts and sunscreen are stupid inventions, I use both every day, but kids are not nearly as fragile as parents of today believe

While I think I get what you are saying, I think protective gear is a good thing.
I had plenty of bike accidents crowning up, some at very high speeds going down a hill near my moms house. No one I knew growing up was ever severely injured on a bicycle.
However freak accidents happen. My 2nd cousins step-granddaughter died after falling off of her tricycle a couple of yrs ago. Wearing a helmet would have saved her life.

Just popping in the thread to share: we stopped at the Tennessee Welcome Station the other day on our way to Chattanooga, and taped to the door was a large hand-written sign that said: SKATE SHOES NOT ALLOWED INSIDE.

I thought it was great. :thumbsup2 I have a feeling more businesses are going to be following suit.

I don't blame the kids. What kid wouldn't want to have shoes with wheels that let you zoom around? And what kid wouldn't zoom around in them? Well, the DIS kids, of course. But a lot of kids would enjoy that.

It is the parents I don't get. Grown-up people who don't realize that kids (even good ones) do goofy things and that putting them on wheels in a public place isn't a good idea. I have no idea what they are thinking. :confused:

Good for the businesses that don't allow them. They ought to take the wheels away and let the parents buy new ones. Maybe then it would dawn on the parents that it isn't good to let those kids zip around. But, maybe not. Either way, the kid would be wheelless.

Oh good Lord, I'm sorry, but is this really being debated again? Not your fault, OP, but I guess it's bound to happen.

Heelys are fine, but are skates and should be treated as such.

DS has a great time at the skating rink with them. Saves a lot of time putting on skates, finding the right size, etc. He's really good at it and has turned our basement into quite the little skate park. Obviously, to us, he is not shopping with them.

Oh, and at the skating rink the other night there was NOT ONE person, not one, wearing protective gear. :confused3 DS with the Heelys was pretty much the only one NOT falling down.

Side note: Our dentist - I am not kidding - has a pair that she wears to work :rotfl: She was sitting there working on kiddo's teeth and I noticed she was rolling her heel back and forth. It was so funny. So we got to talking and she tells me how they are so handy at the airport. :scared1: And I immediately thought of you all!

Heelies at home/uncrowded park= fine

heelies in stores/themeparks/resteraunts/ladies bathroom (I'm not kidding) = ummm...stupid

My question for ppl who let there kids wheel through very crowded places. Would you let your child skateboard/rollerblade as well through the malls foodcourt? Really, just an honest question.

It is the parents I don't get. Grown-up people who don't realize that kids (even good ones) do goofy things and that putting them on wheels in a public place isn't a good idea. I have no idea what they are thinking. :confused:

Exactly! Maybe I'm just a lazy parent but I have enough to do supervising my kids in public and ensuring proper behavior without putting them on wheels! Granted, DD is only 15 months old and new DD won't be here until July but I can't see letting them have Heelies - too much temptation. I just don't want to fool with my kids having wheels on shoes that can be worn to the mall, WDW, wherever, when I wouldn't allow them to "skate" in those places anyway. Why even put a child in that situation?

When is the last time you saw skateboard allowed indoors or in crowded theme parks?

Good grief, if y'all read my post, I said my dd had rules for her Heelys - like not being allowed to wear the wheels indoors! I am in agreeance that they shouldn't be allowed in stores, schools, ect. . And for the record, I've seen kids wear them in places like Costco (which will make your kids remove the wheels if they see them wheelin' around the store), but I've never been bumped into or have had any close calls with these so called armed and dangerous kids. I take that back - I once had a kid bump into my cart in a Target store, but we escaped that near-miss unharmed. However, many times I've been bumped into, run into, and have almost hit with my car kids who are just running around in their plain shoes, not paying attention. Or how about the kids who are too busy walking while playing with their Tamogotchi's and Nintendo DS's? I've been bumped into a time or two by those kids too.

Outdoors, I don't think they are any different or more dangerous then skateboards, scooters and bikes. Instead of urging a ban on Heelys, you're anger and frustration should be directed at the parents who let their kids wear them in inappropriate places, and also the places that allow them to be worn at their establishments. Many places have not skateboards signs, the same should be the same for Heelys.

Seriously - what is the debate? This is almost funny anymore...

Raise your hand if you think using Heelys in a store or public place is okay.

If anyone comes forward, then we have a debate. Otherwise, I think we are all agreeing :confused3 :

Heelys are just real convenient roller skates.

Seriously - what is the debate? This is almost funny anymore...

Raise your hand if you think using Heelys in a store or public place is okay.

If anyone comes forward, then we have a debate. Otherwise, I think we are all agreeing :

Heelys are just real convenient roller skates

Well here is one poster who allows their children to wear them anywhere there is smooth concrete including stores.

I love Heelys and let my kids wear them pretty much wherever there is smooth concrete. They are especially nice at the "big box" stores where my kids would otherwise be bored out of their minds (Wal-Mart, Costco, Sam's, etc).

Well here is one poster who allows their children to wear them anywhere there is smooth concrete including stores.

So everyone's junk is in a funk because out of 77 posts, one person has been identified as being openly careless when it comes to the use of Heelys?

I didn't read this entire thread but:

DS tried to talk me into buying some last Saturday and the answer was "no". I told him he could buy skates if he wanted, or save his allowance and buy the heeleys, but they had to be used like they were skates: no place where it says "skating prohibited" and with protective gear.

I think they aren't used properly by most and have no place in crowded parks, malls etc. A couple of hours after the conversation with DS, I was walking through a Wal-Mart and an employee in the shoe department was explaining to a woman that Wal-Mart doesn't sell them anymore (I'm sure they sold a generic type, not the brand Heeley) because a child was hurt at one of their stores.

I'm not a stingy Mom really, my kids have lots of stuff - but I'm not buying Heeleys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter