Heelys / Roller Shoes - Yes or No??

Both my kids have them and love them. Took them a day, at most, to get used to them. Neither are hockey players, but both have experience ice skating and roller blading. We've had them for a couple of years and have never had an incident, nor have I ever witnessed an incident with them. If I see them at the mall, the kid is usually heeling alongside his/her parent at the same pace as their parent walking.

OP, if you are thinking of buying them, buy a size larger. They run small.

A women truly after my heart...;) I want a pair, but my DH might disown me. I figure if this is my midlife crisis, so be it. Of course it may land me in the hospital.

I do solemnly swear, on my DISboard addiction, that if I ever get Heely's I will not use them in crowded places. :)

Hey T&B, we're getting ready to invest in another pair for DH - he's outgrown his size 6 Heelys, which is equivalent to a ladies size 8. Wanna have a DIS meet and I'll bring them to you so you can try them out? :p

So some me of the kids are really good at using them. So what? It doesn't help the folks they dart around in crowded places where they have no business riding them. Most kids do not have the maturity to know when NOT to use them.

I totally agree.

Unfortunately, the kids I've seen in the heely's lately are going to hurt people. The last couple of kids were playing tag in Petco. Surprise, they weren't looking out for any pets, or any people. And the parents were oblivious. :confused3

If God wanted us to drive, he would have given us built in wheels. If God wanted us to fly, he would have given us wings. If God wanted kids to play baseball, he would have made their arms shaped like bats and their arms like gloves. If God had of wanted us to go to Disneyland or Disney World, he would have created the castle instead of having a day of rest.

Instead, I'm under the impression that we have brains so that we can think up these clever (or not so clever, depending on your view) inventions.

Buy them for your kids if you want., If not, don't. But I don't think that God (for those that believe in God) not giving us wheels instead of feet has anything to do with it. And for the record--my kids don't have them. Not saying they won't ever, but they don't yet.

:thumbsup2

I totally agree.

Unfortunately, the kids I've seen in the heely's lately are going to hurt people. The last couple of kids were playing tag in Petco. Surprise, they weren't looking out for any pets, or any people. And the parents were oblivious. :confused3

And you have NEVER had kids running around playing Tag in regular old shoes? The ones that run into you looking back or trying to get away from the other kid? :confused3

Unruly kids are unruly kids, Heeleys or no Heeleys.

I always amazes me how these people have ONLY seen the ones out of control NEVER EVER kids under control, simply amazing!!!!! :rolleyes1

Just as some doubt me when I say DS has never run into anybody, I doubt how many have honestly had bad experiences with them. :rolleyes:

luckily the local stores have started posting signs that heelys are not allowed. I've had several run in with kids in heelys. funny thing is it is always with girls. Several incidents were at girlscout functions, so that wasn't surprising. However even in stores, my run-ins, or near run overs were with girls. Sat we wer at a GS function and I was just about to go complain about the heelys when an annoucement was made that heelys were not allowed.Too bad the same anouncement wasn't made at the cookie rally or girls get fit day.

I always amazes me how these people have ONLY seen the ones out of control NEVER EVER kids under control, simply amazing!!!!!

The ones under control aren't going to stand out like the ones who are out of control.
I did take notice the other day of a boy in Walmart. He was rolliing around where it was wide open, but once he and his mom got in line he took the wheels out and put them in his pockets. So yes I've noticed of 1 in control. I'm certain I've been around others, but they didn't stand out.

I love Heelys and let my kids wear them pretty much wherever there is smooth concrete. They are especially nice at the "big box" stores where my kids would otherwise be bored out of their minds (Wal-Mart, Costco, Sam's, etc).

Like skateboarders, there's something about kids whizzing about that we as adults don't like. We call it obnoxious, although if pressed to fully articulate why, would be hard pressed to do so (myself included!). They are not really unsafe, as a fall from heelys would be no different than falling while running. And they certainly give you more "control" than in-line skates, which very few people object to.

But I do make it very clear that there are boundries and if they cross them, the shoes (or skateboards or skis or inline skates or sleds, etc) are gone.

Let kids be kids. Their little bones heal so much quicker than when they're older ;) .

My dd wore Heelys for a while, and had rules for them - like taking out the wheels when we were in stores, school, ect..

I'm not sure why there's so much hostility toward the things. To me they aren't any different then unruly kids on skateboards, bikes, or scooters. And I've had way more encounters with those kids then ones wearing Heelys.

I HATE Heelys with a firey passion. Can some kids control themselves on them, sure. They have great control as they weave in and out of people at Target, Costco, & WDW. Of course they run the risk of taking others out as they're weaving in and out of people, like my children! Two of mine have been knocked over by some snot-nosed brat that was just "gliding" along and not paying attention or caring that there are other people around. My favorite was the kid looking the other direction that went "gliding" right into DDs stroller, hitting her on the head and then he gave me a dirty look. :mad:

My dd wore Heelys for a while, and had rules for them - like taking out the wheels when we were in stores, school, ect..

I'm not sure why there's so much hostility toward the things. To me they aren't any different then unruly kids on skateboards, bikes, or scooters. And I've had way more encounters with those kids then ones wearing Heelys.

Last time I was in the store I didn't have to look out for kids on skateboards, bikes, or scooters. If kids were only using heelys outside you could compare them to the others but they're not just using them outside, they're using them in stores, malls, theme parks, movie theaters - everywhere!

My DD had the roller shoes and I, personally, feel they are so much safer. She used to use them like regular skates at the park or else on the sidewalk, slowly skating to local stores. But, once we arrived to our destination, the rollers disappeared into the shoes and they just become sneakers. No rollering inside anywhere, ever for us.

I guess Heelys don't fully retract in the same way since it seems the kids wearing these just keep skating wherever they are AND too many parents don't supervise them. They are getting banned here as well and I completely understand the reason. I am frequently jostled by kids in heelys, but have never been knocked by kids in the other roller shoes or skates inside stores.

I also guess I don't even understand why you would ever let your kids wear them in such a crowded destination as WDW.

Nevermind, responded earlier and I don't see the need to repeat what I posted on last time around. Didn't realize this was an older post from February.

Like skateboarders, there's something about kids whizzing about that we as adults don't like. We call it obnoxious, although if pressed to fully articulate why, would be hard pressed to do so (myself included!). They are not really unsafe, as a fall from heelys would be no different than falling while running. And they certainly give you more "control" than in-line skates, which very few people object to.

Children have no business running, wearing inline skates or heelys in a "big box store". If children were running in a place where they shouldn't be, or wearing "regular" skates (be it inline or traditional skates) you bet your bottom dollar that I (and many others)object to that too.
Heelys are skates and should only be worn where one is allowed to wear skates, skateboard or ride bikes IMHO.

Why would anyone be hard pressed to articulate why they think wearing heelys in inappropriate places is obnoxious?

If you read all the post on heelys you will read many well articulated reasons, including first hand accounts of being ran over, or watching children being injurred etc.

Why would anyone be hard pressed to articulate why they think wearing heelys in inappropriate places is obnoxious?

If you read all the post on heelys you will read many well articulated reasons, including first hand accounts of being ran over, or watching children being injurred etc.

First, I think that most of the posters are describing what they consider to be obnoxious behavior, not why they believe it to be obnoxious. A subtle difference I admit, but one that I think gets to my “real” issue.

Secondly, I believe that that what people are seeing are kids "whizzing by", not running into people. The running into people is most likely what people think will happen, not what is actually going on. If playing tag suddenly became a fad in Sams club, we would be hearing all kinds of stories about people being run over by out of control taggers, regardless of whether it was actually happening or not.

[Rant]
My kids have had heelys for over two years, I have seen hundreds of kids wearing them, and I have never seen someone get run into. People find fast moving kids in certain areas obnoxious, I get that. But to infer that we have a rash of heely hit-and-runs is only what people think might happen, not what is actually going on.

Look at who posts against heelys. Almost to a person they won't let their kids even try them, which means they are looking at the issue with a particular preconception. Those that do let their kids wear them aren't seeing the same behaviors. Why do you think that is? Does their preconception blind them to all these supposed collisions just because their children are also engaged in the behavior? I don't think so. They don't want to see their children hurting someone (or being hurt) anymore than any other parent. To believe otherwise would be absurd.

Think Occam's razor. If people who are against heelys are seeing a behavior that others aren't, what is the most likely reason? That people who are against them see the potential for accidents or that people who support them are seeing actual accidents but denying they are happening?

For what it’s worth, I believe that it is the {perceived} disrespect the kids are showing that generates such strong feelings ("I hate those things"). And in some cases, it is probably justified. But in my experience, the way people react to those who listen to loud music, who skateboard, who wear pants below their waists, who show tattoos, who smoke, who ride Harleys, who vote Republican, and yes, who heely in public places, are more alarmed at what they think might be happening than in what is actually going on. People aren’t being run over by heelys, but it’s easier to say they are than to admit that we just don’t like fast moving kids in public places. It is a prejudice that we as adults have. The kids find it completely natural but we find it ‘obnoxious”, so we punish them for it.

Kids on heelys are exhibiting almost identical behavior and introducing the same risk as if they were playing tag. And if we find tag or heelys in public places obnoxious and want to ban them, fine. But let’s not fool ourselves; this has nothing to do with safety.
[/Rant]

Secondly, I believe that that what people are seeing are kids "whizzing by", not running into people. The running into people is most likely what people think will happen, not what is actually going on. If playing tag suddenly became a fad in Sams club, we would be hearing all kinds of stories about people being run over by out of control taggers, regardless of whether it was actually happening or not.

I didn't just "see" it I felt it. I was ran into by several girls on heelys at 2 seperate girlscout events. The only thing that kept me from being hit by the girl in BJs was the fac that I kept my cart between the 2 of us, so she would hit it instead. I didn't see kids whizzing by and somehow imagine that they were hitting me and/or my cart.

Kids on heelys are exhibiting almost identical behavior and introducing the same risk as if they were playing tag. And if we find tag or heelys in public places obnoxious and want to ban them, fine. But let’s not fool ourselves; this has nothing to do with safety

Oh please... you are the one who is fooling yourself into thinking that adults just have it out for your little angels. It has absolutely everything to do with safety and respect of others. A concept I suggest that you try to grasp instead of trying to make excuses for letting your children run wild.

So do you think it is OK to run around a place of business ie: a big box store? I don't. To me children running or skating in a place of business is wrong. Heelys in themselves are not the problem, it is the parents that allow the children to do something that they should not be doing, whether it is palying tag or zipping around on heelies. Yes, I have seen people bumped into by kids on heelys, myself included..but, I've been run into by kids running in the store too. I didn't appreciate either one when I am trying to work. I tell kids not to run in the store, I also tell them not to skate. I wish the parents would be the one telling them that but if they won't then I will. Not just so they don't bump someone, but so they don;t get hurt themself, a busy store is not the place for playing.

No, I would not have bought them for my kids if my kids were younger and had wanted them (which I don't think they would have from the comments I hear them make) not because I think they are dangerous, but because to me they would be a waste of my money. I don't consider them sneakers, I consider them shoe skates. Again that is just me. I have no control over what other parents feel is ok for their kids. They had in-line skates, they would not need another pair of skates. Just like the Playstation, we had one, they came out with a newer version. The girls wanted it, did they get it? Nope. They had one they didn't need another.

I don't like Heelys in public places where other wheeled toys aren't allowed and I guess it is because I know the potential for accidents. I don't feel that its a prejudice that I don't like fast moving kids in public...I think its just prudence and a bit of self-protection.

As an adult, I am held to a higher level than kids are in different ways. Morally, legally...also in terms of maturity. So when I see kids flying around WDW (or a store or a parking lot) on Heeleys, it makes me anxious. Even if I'm standing still or in a stopped car and a kid comes flying into me (i.e. 100% the kid's fault), most people are going to turn around to find a scraped up kid on the ground and me probably okay (maybe bruised, but I'm sturdy). Not all parents (pro-Heeley or otherwise) are as rational as some on here. And in our sue-happy society, this causes anxiety. That's just the legal slant...there's also the moral/ethical judgements that you open yourself up to when people just see the 'scene of the crime' and not the 'crime' itself. Why should I have to be exposed to this risk in places where other wheeled implements aren't allowed?

I have no issues with Heeleys in a park where roller skates or skateboards are allowed...when I go there I know what I'm going to encounter and I take the risk on knowingly and willingly.

Out of control children are *perfectly delightful* on heelies.:angel: I found it perfectly delightful when I was having an MRI on my knee after being knocked to the floor in a department store by an :angel: on heelies. The steroid I take helps the pain and swelling and I hope to be able to use my FL WDW Residents pass again this year before it expires. That may not happen but just knowing the dear :angel: was enjoying himself so much in the store unattended by his mother gives me a warm spot in my heart... so it's all good. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter