Heads Up! on free DP and resort check-in; read FYI

COmomof2 said:
Interesting that I found this thread. Our party of 11 is having the same problem as Bertalander.

We're staying at POR during free dining, our family of 4 (one under 3) and my cousin's family of 7 (one under 3). One of her kids is going to stay with us, so she doesn't have to get 2 rooms. Problem being that they'll be at the resort like 7-8 hours before we will. They want to go to MK as soon as they arrive, but her 11 yr old's ticket is tied to our reservation.

My TA called Disney and they told her that my cousin could actually check in for us, get our packet of info/tickets, etc, then we could go to the front desk later and change the credit card info. I'm going to have my TA call the hotel directly the week prior to our arrival, just to make sure we get the same info from the hotel directly. It never occurred to me that someone would actually add false names to a reservation to get more food credits! :sad2:

I hope this isn't a problem for us, nor anyone else in a similar situation.

Oh, well this sounds like better news than what I was envisioning... having to modify ressies for inlaws and buy a one day ticket for dd.

Inlaws have not responded to my email yet, but I'm failry sure they won't be arriving until late afternoon.

Hopefully they could let us check in for in-laws, get card for dd and they could keep in-laws cards at the front desk for them...

Getting a tad more complicated than I was hoping for.

Head. Still. Hurts.

:surfweb:

be arriving 10 minutes apart from one another in Orlando. We will be on the same ME and all. This will no longer be an issue with us, but I feel for everyone who is caught in this predictment. As usual, when there's a new policy by Disney it's somewhat unclear; until, they actually enforce it to the letter of the law. We will know soon enough.

We need to hear from the 2006 guests who will be getting the free dining plan starting in August 2006. I don't think anyone had issues with the free plan in 2005 with all guests being reaquired at check-in. Good luck to all.

kokotg said:
this is the wording on my reservation confirmation that came last week:

Please note: Your reservation includes Disney Dining Plan components. In order to claim these components, all members of your party must be present at check-in or your reservation will be modified.

I guess you really can't fault Disney for trying to stop people from cheating them. However, I do think it will impact some honest people who may have to change their travel/check-in times around a bit.

I have seen this wording in a few areas. We all can figure out why it happened. And sad it came to that.
I would say if there are any concerns or issues on this, have your TA call Disney, or if you dealt direct with Disney, call them and let them know the situation and see what they say/suggest.

I understand the policy but don't understand why the reservation system is the way it is. My DH is arriving 3 days after myself and my two kids. I can either have him on the reservation or not. I am not able to have him on the reservation for the middle three days. I don't want extra free dining credits but would like the ones that correspond to our travel plans. The reservation system does not allow us to do this.

Ok, now I know I got a lil flamed on the transportation board for pre-boarding with my 6 y/old last year. I know, I am horrible but she is really tiny :guilty:

Anyways, In my defense the flights were never packed anyway and in the end we all ended up sitting together regardless of who preboarded with my DD. I am just a paranoid mother who couldn't image my lil chicky being all alone on a big airplane.

But in any case, making up guests is just really, really taking advantage of a good thing. Even I am opposed, in fact I would have never even thought of doing something like that. I didn't even use my DDP points in a way which they weren't intended. The end result of these type of scenarios is going to be an end to the dining plan

okay, i'm either ignorant or confused :confused3

how do you have phantom guests w/out buying them tickets?

also, can't the cms check your adrs to see if the number of people on the ressie matches the number of people checking in? plus, so many adrs require a credit card that someone wouldn't give a cc to hold a spot for people that don't exist, right? :rolleyes2

Who on earth invents "phantom guests?" I am not understanding this, don't you have to pay for your park tickets too which will far outweigh what I think they're trying to accomplish with the free dining? HOW MUCH FOOD DOES ONE PERSON EAT THAT THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY FULL PRICE TO GET IN THE PARKS TO GET MORE FREE FOOD??? I am stunned, say it isn't so!

Please someone come forward, I won't judge, I'm just curious, what is your reason for making up guests? Has someone actually done this or is this something that has been rumored on these boards?

FTR, I was not told that my whole party needs to be there, but it doesn't matter, it's just me and dd. I've always been the one who's checked in, the rest of the fam where off doing their thing.

I can see the problem w/ making up fake kiddos...well a little! But Disney charges an additional $10/night for each additional adult (2 per room I believe then #3 would be another $10 and #4 would be another $10) Plus! You have to buy at least 1 day passes for each person. How can it really be worth it?

LoriZH said:
Who on earth invents "phantom guests?" I am not understanding this, don't you have to pay for your park tickets too which will far outweigh what I think they're trying to accomplish with the free dining? HOW MUCH FOOD DOES ONE PERSON EAT THAT THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY FULL PRICE TO GET IN THE PARKS TO GET MORE FREE FOOD??? I am stunned, say it isn't so!

Please someone come forward, I won't judge, I'm just curious, what is your reason for making up guests? Has someone actually done this or is this something that has been rumored on these boards?

FTR, I was not told that my whole party needs to be there, but it doesn't matter, it's just me and dd. I've always been the one who's checked in, the rest of the fam where off doing their thing.

There can be a signifigant financial incentive to make up kids. If you are DVC for example you do not need to buy a park ticket. Take a 10 day stay for 2 adults. If they make up 2 kids then they essentially get another $76 per day of free dinning. That is a $760 benefit for making up two children. Its not so much how much food they need to eat. By doing this they can eat at 2 TS places a day or eat at 1 Signature restuarant per day.

This is outright fraud and theft. Unfortunately the simple solution of requiring all persons be at check in may have a signifiigant ripple effect for families that arrive from multiple destinations at different times.

I'm terrible with math and rely on the number-crunching wizards on this board to help me out sometimes- :wizard: - but these were my numbers, and an example -

I check into POR with just me at DD (10) for 6 nites during FDP - at a cost of $1432 - 6 day PH tix expiry. I wanted to have my friend join us with HER DD(9), just having her pay for the increase in price. I add them and they get exactly what DD and I have on the package - their 6 nites with FDP and PH tix comes to exactly $468 more!

The new requirements say she cannot join me on day 3 to accomodate her flight or work schedule or anything else - because when I check in - all of HER credits for FDP will be on MY room card. Thus, DD and I could suck up all HER dining credits in the days before she arrives, plus use our own.Theoratically, DD and I could be dining character and signature for many more days.

Make sense? Someone correct me if I'm thinking wrong on this....

Does this make sense??

Pedler said:
There can be a signifigant financial incentive to make up kids. If you are DVC for example you do not need to buy a park ticket. Take a 10 day stay for 2 adults. If they make up 2 kids then they essentially get another $76 per day of free dinning. That is a $760 benefit for making up two children. Its not so much how much food they need to eat. By doing this they can eat at 2 TS places a day or eat at 1 Signature restuarant per day.

This is outright fraud and theft. Unfortunately the simple solution of requiring all persons be at check in may have a signifiigant ripple effect for families that arrive from multiple destinations at different times.
I agree! This is called stealing IMO!

Pedler said:

DVC'ers don't get free dining though :rolleyes: so don't blame us....

However, staying in any Disney resort you pay just $10.00 extra per adult per night in your room... so if you add two adults to your reservation that don't exist, you get two more additional adult free dining packages... It only costs you $20.00 per night & two one day tickets that you have to buy under the free dining package...

I would never have thought of this until this post, and I think it's really sad that somebody obviously would go to these lengths....

Guests who would make up people to steal from Disney would make sure the phantom guests were 10-17 years old to avoid paying the extra adult charge for the hotel.

I'm shocked Disney didn't at least restrict the free dining promotion to two guests per room.

chris1gill said:
DVC'ers don't get free dining though :rolleyes: so don't blame us....

However, staying in any Disney resort you pay just $10.00 extra per adult per night in your room... so if you add two adults to your reservation that don't exist, you get two more additional adult free dining packages... It only costs you $20.00 per night & two one day tickets that you have to buy under the free dining package...

I would never have thought of this until this post, and I think it's really sad that somebody obviously would go to these lengths....

Lewisc said:
Guests who would make up people to steal from Disney would make sure the phantom guests were 10-17 years old to avoid paying the extra adult charge for the hotel.

I'm shocked Disney didn't at least restrict the free dining promotion to two guests per room.

Lewisc now we know how you think :lmao: I didn't even think to make them 10-17 to avoid the adult charge per night... as you can see, I'm very bad at this sort of thing :confused3

chris1gill said:
Lewisc now we know how you think :lmao: I didn't even think to make them 10-17 to avoid the adult charge per night... as you can see, I'm very bad at this sort of thing :confused3

Actually I've read too many posts from people who were planning to, or joking about, inventing phantom kids.

Lewisc said:
Actually I've read too many posts from people who were planning to, or joking about, inventing phantom kids.

NO WAY!?! :confused3 That is so outrageous... I'm not generally the moral police, but I think I'd draw the line at that one :confused3 Unbelievable....

Pedler said:

Thanks for the exlpanation. I too usually don't police Disney but that is outright fraud and well simply stupid (for a lack of a better word). I still don't get the resort guests doing it, because even if they made up 2 kids at $10 a day extra on the meal plan, they're only going to get kid meals plus they have to pay for those phantom children to get in the parks, you need a package deal to get the dining (free or not). What a bunch of knuckelheads! :rolleyes1 Okay I said I wouldn't judge, and I'm a hypocrite, I just didn't get it at first, sorry, if you are doing this it's your business, but it's just weird to me for free food, just eat a buffet.

To be honest with you, I don't even know who the heck can even begin to eat all the food on the plan as it is :confused3 why invent children to get more, take mine with you, yeah that's it, if you need children to take to Disney take mine, they really don't eat that much and you can have their extras! ;)

LoriZH said:
Thanks for the exlpanation. I too usually don't police Disney but that is outright fraud and well simply stupid (for a lack of a better word). I still don't get the resort guests doing it, because even if they made up 2 kids at $10 a day extra on the meal plan, they're only going to get kid meals plus they have to pay for those phantom children to get in the parks, you need a package deal to get the dining (free or not). What a bunch of knuckelheads! :rolleyes1 Okay I said I wouldn't judge, and I'm a hypocrite, I just didn't get it at first, sorry, if you are doing this it's your business, but it's just weird to me for free food, just eat a buffet.

To be honest with you, I don't even know who the heck can even begin to eat all the food on the plan as it is :confused3 why invent children to get more, take mine with you, yeah that's it, if you need children to take to Disney take mine, they really don't eat that much and you can have their extras! ;)

There have been more than one post from people using very creative means to do this with packages. It goes along the lines of inventing kids that are in the adult range. The real adults (and I use that term loosely) already have AP's. The get one day tickets for themselves and the fictional kids and then get all the dinning credits. They then use the 1 day passes later to apply to a new AP. I think the only thing they end up not being able to use is the one day passes for the fictional kids. Its crazy but visitors to WDW are no different than anywhere else. They have the same propensity to bad behavior as you would see elsewhere.

LoriZH said:
I still don't get the resort guests doing it, because even if they made up 2 kids at $10 a day extra on the meal plan, they're only going to get kid meals plus they have to pay for those phantom children to get in the parks, you need a package deal to get the dining (free or not).

You still aren't thinking deviously enough! If you only buy a one day base ticket but are staying for several days - they can use the base ticket themselves and buy parkhoppers separately for the other days. Also - if you say these phantom children are 10-17 you are getting adult dining credits. Not that it matters - as outlined in the hotly debated "disney doesn't know if they're adults or children" all the credits are pooled and you could use the credits however you like.

I would call this fraud as well. You're already getting free dining - how much more can one person eat? I would be curious to know how much this really happens though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter