Heads Up! on free DP and resort check-in; read FYI

mlwear said:
I don't see how they can do this to pre-existing reservations. How can they make a rule retroactive?
I'm sure someone will know of a clause that says that they can, but hey guests have to abide by the agreed to terms, it doesn't seem right.

The simple answer to this is if "you" were being honest then it wouldn't make a difference. "You" does not refer to the OP or anyone in this thread.

I do see how they are probably applying it to ressies already made (I have received no notification so far of it) but the only ones that are going to have a problem with it is the one who did it. Or in a couple circumstances others like the poster who invited MIL. Which I am sure will be far and few between.

nowellsl said:
I drove down early last year on the day we checked in and DD came down later in the day after class. I checked in at POP and got both our cards. I just told them she was coming later on and they gave me an extra parking pass for her car. Not an issue for me.

I think the OP said it was a new policy... :)

The whole 'phantom kid' thing makes me feel very uneasy. There's something unsettling about actually telling someone, I mean saying it out loud, that you have a child called Johnny who's 11 who doesn't actually even exist - even if you're only saying it to a stranger on the phone at CRO (and later again of course at front desk). Yikes! I dunno, I'm probably over-analysing as usual and I wouldn't have called myself superstitious as such but playing around with the very existence or non-existence of one's own children is tempting fate imo - I'm thinking "all sorts of bad karma". You know?

[Ok, ok, I know, I definitely did over-analyse - imagine living with me!! :teeth: ]

the CM specifically talking to her boss about it before answering my question and the fact that they are only targeting the free dining guests on the dining plan. I'm not so sure you can take this so lightly under the circumstances of what was said, here.

Others can call and see if they get the same info or not. You need to be specific about a situation to get a proper answer. I don't think just asking if all guests have to be present at check-in is enough info when calling and asking about this new policy.

I want to remind everyone that I was also told that this new policy was at the discretion of the resort manager. I can't see holding up the check-in process any longer then it already is for insisting on everyone being present, but you never know.

DebIreland said:
The whole 'phantom kid' thing makes me feel very uneasy. There's something unsettling about actually telling someone, I mean saying it out loud, that you have a child called Johnny who's 11 who doesn't actually even exist - even if you're only saying it to a stranger on the phone at CRO (and later again of course at front desk). Yikes! I dunno, I'm probably over-analysing as usual and I wouldn't have called myself superstitious as such but playing around with the very existence or non-existence of one's own children is tempting fate imo - I'm thinking "all sorts of bad karma". You know?

[Ok, ok, I know, I definitely did over-analyse - imagine living with me!! :teeth: ]

Actually Deb I understand completely. I was discussing the ins and outs of the dining plan with some friends. Specifically what one could do with the plan with 2 adults and 2 kids. They asked about the child's credits and using them to purchase adult meals. And I told them my opinion and I also gave them the opposing side. My friend's wife said, No way could she eat an adult meal for which she had paid a child's price. Her husband asked why, and she replied, she would probably get choked while doing it. So she would definitely understand your bad karma situation and so do I.

I wonder if it makes a difference if the people checking in are people who already existed in the computer. For example, DH, DS and I have checked in to WDW resorts a number of times. This time we'll have a baby with us who isn't on the dp anyway, but whatif we suddenly had a 7 year old son on the ressie? Do you think that would raise a red flag? Since we've stayed before, I would guess the frond desk cm could assume that we're all real people. We also have 9 day hoppers attached to our names. You wouldn't buy a 9 day hopper for a phantom child,would you? So maybe when they see that, they don't check.

I'm just speculating. I can't see how they'll check everyone. It seems more like the fact that they can check and may check is intended as a deterrent.

I can't imagine making up phantom children myself. It's kind of weird. And twisted. imho. :confused3

Beth :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter