Hawaii 2020 Questions? Bring 'Em On!

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by southerngirl528, Oct 4, 2018.

1. slg

slg DIS Veteran

Are you from Vancouver Island? We are!

2. HappilyEverAfter80

HappilyEverAfter80 DIS Veteran

Does the bus go near Aluani or is it more in the main Honolulu?

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. southerngirl528

southerngirl528 Dreamin' of Maui

I don't believe Da Bus, as it's affectionately called, stops at Aulani. I have a link to their schedules below. It's extensive. I scanned it and the closest I saw to Aulani with a cursory look was at the Kapolei Transit Center. Kapolei is the closest town to Ko Olina where Aulani is located, and it is SUPER closeby.

http://www.thebus.org/route/routes.asp

5. spacecanada

spacecanada DIS Veteran

Kapolei isn't walking distance to Aulani, though - you'd still need a taxi or car to get to Aulani. We find renting a car cheaper than using a shuttle. (DVC gets free parking) You can rent a car AT Aulani, so I wonder if you can drop them off there, too, to avoid parking fees. Anyone know about this?

6. COASTIEandMATE

COASTIEandMATE DIS Veteran

JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE A LONG WAY AWAY FROM Honolulu, Waikiki Beach, Ala Moana shopping center, etc. If any of these are must sees for you the bus is slow and takes longer than you in your rental car. That being said, when we go to Honolulu for shopping, or to see a Disney show at the Blaisdell, we stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village and use Da Bus for everything!!

southerngirl528 likes this.
  7. southerngirl528

This is TRUE! It would be a hike to Kapolei from Aulani for SURE! And dangerous along that busy road! So I was not recommending that. :cutie:

I agree that renting a car is almost always cheaper for anyone wanting to sightsee, shop, tour the island, etc. Alamo Car Rental has a booth at Aulani so no doubt one could both rent and drop off. There are car rentals in Kapolei as well. One of more MIGHT have p/u and/or drop off but you would DEFINITELY want to confirm this!

COASTIEandMATE likes this.
  8. spacecanada

spacecanada DIS Veteran

It was only Alamo back in 2017.

9. southerngirl528

Thanks for that, CoastieandMate! :cutie: YES. Aulani is a good 40 minute drive from Honolulu IF you do not hit rush hour traffic (think folks going INTO Honolulu in the morning hours from outlying areas and back OUT of Honolulu after their work shift is over).

I wanted to go to Ala Moana for 2 reasons on one of our trips to Aulani: 1) Big Island Candies (only location not found ON the BI! And there stuff is SO yummy and beautifully packaged. And I think a fair price for what one gets.) 2) For the now gone Nordstrom. :sad1: Traffic was BRUTAL the day we went to Ala Moana. We got close to the mall but it took us a good 30 minutes to go around the block to get into the parking area we wanted. I sure hope traffic in that area isn't always so tough. :o

10. COASTIEandMATE

And there is a bus going on Kalakaua Avenue over the Ala Wai Canal to Ala Moana shopping center about every 15 minutes!! Thank you Southern girl for the good info!!:teacher::thanks:

11. southerngirl528

Good to know, CoastieandMate! Mahalo! Those of us going on the Hawaii cruises in 2020 will be leaning on your expertise as a kama'aina! :sunny:

12. COASTIEandMATE

Southerngirl, I wish that you would post your gorgeous picture of the rainbow and the Wonder from Honolulu 2015! It might make it easier for some to keep om waiting for this cruise!!

13. southerngirl528

You're so kind, CoastieandMate!!! I don't usually post pix, so let me see if I can get that to work again..... :cutie:

IMG_3269.jpg

Wish my pic posted clearer. It's a bit fuzzy. I took the photo in Sept. 2015 when the Wonder was leaving the Port of Honolulu for the 10 night Hawaii cruise!

14. southerngirl528

IMG_3419.jpg

LOVE this little church on Kauai! One of my favorite Kauai pix from the 2015 Hawaii sailing. Ahhhh, Hawaii, how I love you! :love:

15. southerngirl528

And close to Hanalei, Kauai.... folks, do NOT get close to the edge of coastal areas like this! (I was standing a few yards from the edge when I took this pic.) It can be so dangerous. Enjoy the jaw-dropping beauty but stay SAFE! If the rocks are wet, then waves HAVE come over the rocks in that place!

IMG_3411.jpg

16. southerngirl528

Our welcome to Kahului, Maui from the Wonder, Sept. 2015! Looking toward the west Maui mountains.[

ATTACH=full]358261[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

RedSox68 and COASTIEandMATE like this.
  17. RedSox68

RedSox68 Just working to pay for cruising

Nice!

18. WDWEPCOT

WDWEPCOT Mouseketeer

Beautiful pics

RedSox68 and southerngirl528 like this.
  19. RedSox68

RedSox68 Just working to pay for cruising

Yes, makes me want to go back!

20. diznymom

diznymom DIS Veteran

I know that the USS Arizona is currently closed. But, it is supposed to open before our cruise.

With that said, about how much time should we budget for a tour?

21. lorimay

lorimay Celebrating 32 Ears

We booked a day cruise from Aulani to see the USS Arizona and the Missouri, they picked us up right in from of the hotel. It was 4-6 hours we were gone with driving.