Hawaii 2020 Questions? Bring 'Em On!

Indeed it is, and the reason we chose the return route over the outbound one. Just a quick float plane ride and we'll be home in less than two hours after we get off the ship. So excited!!

Has anyone started a meet thread yet?
Are you from Vancouver Island? We are!

It is actually quite easy to get around without renting a car. The bus is excellent and goes everywhere. It does take longer of course, but the views are always good, it is air conditioned, no,parking fees and SUPER cheap. I just can not afford aulani and a cruise, so the bus works for me!
Does the bus go near Aluani or is it more in the main Honolulu?

Does the bus go near Aluani or is it more in the main Honolulu?

I don't believe Da Bus, as it's affectionately called, stops at Aulani. I have a link to their schedules below. It's extensive. I scanned it and the closest I saw to Aulani with a cursory look was at the Kapolei Transit Center. Kapolei is the closest town to Ko Olina where Aulani is located, and it is SUPER closeby.

http://www.thebus.org/route/routes.asp

Kapolei isn't walking distance to Aulani, though - you'd still need a taxi or car to get to Aulani. We find renting a car cheaper than using a shuttle. (DVC gets free parking) You can rent a car AT Aulani, so I wonder if you can drop them off there, too, to avoid parking fees. Anyone know about this?

I don't believe Da Bus, as it's affectionately called, stops at Aulani. I have a link to their schedules below. It's extensive. I scanned it and the closest I saw to Aulani with a cursory look was at the Kapolei Transit Center. Kapolei is the closest town to Ko Olina where Aulani is located, and it is SUPER closeby.

http://www.thebus.org/route/routes.asp
JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE A LONG WAY AWAY FROM Honolulu, Waikiki Beach, Ala Moana shopping center, etc. If any of these are must sees for you the bus is slow and takes longer than you in your rental car. That being said, when we go to Honolulu for shopping, or to see a Disney show at the Blaisdell, we stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village and use Da Bus for everything!!

Kapolei isn't walking distance to Aulani, though - you'd still need a taxi or car to get to Aulani. We find renting a car cheaper than using a shuttle. (DVC gets free parking) You can rent a car AT Aulani, so I wonder if you can drop them off there, too, to avoid parking fees. Anyone know about this?

This is TRUE! It would be a hike to Kapolei from Aulani for SURE! And dangerous along that busy road! So I was not recommending that. :cutie:

I agree that renting a car is almost always cheaper for anyone wanting to sightsee, shop, tour the island, etc. Alamo Car Rental has a booth at Aulani so no doubt one could both rent and drop off. There are car rentals in Kapolei as well. One of more MIGHT have p/u and/or drop off but you would DEFINITELY want to confirm this!

JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE A LONG WAY AWAY FROM Honolulu, Waikiki Beach, Ala Moana shopping center, etc. If any of these are must sees for you the bus is slow and takes longer than you in your rental car. That being said, when we go to Honolulu for shopping, or to see a Disney show at the Blaisdell, we stay at Hilton Hawaiian Village and use Da Bus for everything!!

Thanks for that, CoastieandMate! :cutie: YES. Aulani is a good 40 minute drive from Honolulu IF you do not hit rush hour traffic (think folks going INTO Honolulu in the morning hours from outlying areas and back OUT of Honolulu after their work shift is over).

I wanted to go to Ala Moana for 2 reasons on one of our trips to Aulani: 1) Big Island Candies (only location not found ON the BI! And there stuff is SO yummy and beautifully packaged. And I think a fair price for what one gets.) 2) For the now gone Nordstrom. :sad1: Traffic was BRUTAL the day we went to Ala Moana. We got close to the mall but it took us a good 30 minutes to go around the block to get into the parking area we wanted. I sure hope traffic in that area isn't always so tough. :o

And there is a bus going on Kalakaua Avenue over the Ala Wai Canal to Ala Moana shopping center about every 15 minutes!! Thank you Southern girl for the good info!!:teacher::thanks:

Southerngirl, I wish that you would post your gorgeous picture of the rainbow and the Wonder from Honolulu 2015! It might make it easier for some to keep om waiting for this cruise!!

Southerngirl, I wish that you would post your gorgeous picture of the rainbow and the Wonder from Honolulu 2015! It might make it easier for some to keep om waiting for this cruise!!

You're so kind, CoastieandMate!!! I don't usually post pix, so let me see if I can get that to work again..... :cutie:

IMG_3269.jpg

Wish my pic posted clearer. It's a bit fuzzy. I took the photo in Sept. 2015 when the Wonder was leaving the Port of Honolulu for the 10 night Hawaii cruise!

And close to Hanalei, Kauai.... folks, do NOT get close to the edge of coastal areas like this! (I was standing a few yards from the edge when I took this pic.) It can be so dangerous. Enjoy the jaw-dropping beauty but stay SAFE! If the rocks are wet, then waves HAVE come over the rocks in that place!

IMG_3411.jpg

I know that the USS Arizona is currently closed. But, it is supposed to open before our cruise.

With that said, about how much time should we budget for a tour?

I know that the USS Arizona is currently closed. But, it is supposed to open before our cruise.

With that said, about how much time should we budget for a tour?

We booked a day cruise from Aulani to see the USS Arizona and the Missouri, they picked us up right in from of the hotel. It was 4-6 hours we were gone with driving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter