Having a hard time saving the designs to my computer

studentmom

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!
I hope someone can help me out. I found a couple of designs that I liked on this board and I tried to save it to my computer, but it's not working. I followed the directions on the 'Design Tips' thread and I changed my AOL settings like the thread suggested but for some reason the design doesn't come up. Can someone help me out...I'm not very computer savy, but am willing to try anyways. Thank you so much!

what exactly are you doing thats not working?

Should be able to put your mouse over the picture and right click.. then "save picture as" then pick where you want to save it?

It lets me save it but when I go to pull it up it won't let me pull it up. It won't let me save it as a picture file. :badpc:

go back and make sure the AOL settings say no compression... maybe you forgot to hit apply? (i do that sometimes..lol)

If it is saving the files but you can't just open them? what you you trying to open them with? photoshop/whatever?

Goto "start" then "control panel" then open "folder options"... click "file types"

then goto the extention you are trying to open and highlight it and see what it says it opens with...

change it to whatever you want to open it if it has nothing there..

Shriva said:
go back and make sure the AOL settings say no compression... maybe you forgot to hit apply? (i do that sometimes..lol)

If it is saving the files but you can't just open them? what you you trying to open them with? photoshop/whatever?

Thank you, Shriva!

I don't think that I have photoshop. I'm wondering what would be the most successful way to get them to open up? I think my dh (who was also trying to help me :blush: ), tried a few different options.

I'm going to go to my mom's house later, mayble I'll have better luck on her computer. I will Definitely try your suggestions, too. Thank you soooo much!

Hmmmm...if I go to triplefigs' or julia&Nick's mom's link, then I can 'save picture as' and I can pull them up in My Pictures with no problem. But if I try to save something that is on the Dis boards (as Image), then it doen't let me pull them back up?? :confused3 Hmm let's try this again, lol.

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

studentmom said:
Hmmmm...if I go to triplefigs' or julia&Nick's mom's link, then I can 'save picture as' and I can pull them up in My Pictures with no problem. But if I try to save something that is on the Dis boards (as Image), then it doen't let me pull them back up?? :confused3 Hmm let's try this again, lol.

:badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Are you trying to save them as JPEG files?

Goto "start" then "control panel" then open "folder options"... click "file types"

then goto the extention you are trying to open and highlight it and see what it says it opens with...

change it to whatever you want to open it if it has nothing there..

Hi! Well, if I did it right- then next to the names of the designs (that actually came up after I tried to open them) it said Photo Shop Photo Album Picture. The ones that didn't come up when I tried to open them, just said File next to them. I don't have any real nice software that I have bought for my computer, so I'm not sure what that meant.

Are you trying to save them as JPEG files
Hi!
If I go to say, laddylucca's thread and right click on one of the pics, save as pic, then it gives me the option to either 'save as type' ART or Bitmap. Is that what you meant? Wasn't too sure. I had it on Art.

thank you, thank you, both. I feel so dumb right now :sad2: .

:thanks:

studentmom [B said:
Are you trying to save them as JPEG files[/B]
Hi!
If I go to say, laddylucca's thread and right click on one of the pics, save as pic, then it gives me the option to either 'save as type' ART or Bitmap. Is that what you meant? Wasn't too sure. I had it on Art.

thank you, thank you, both. I feel so dumb right now :sad2: .

:thanks:

You are on AOL, I assume. When you right click on the pictures on here the drop down menu says "Save picture as..." Are you saying the only options to you are saving as an .ART or a .BMP file?

Oh,yes..I'm sorry,

I do have Aol.
It let's me Save Picture As..., then a little box pops up that lets me name the file and then under that it gives me the option to Save as Type- and I can either choose ART (*.art) or Bitmap (*.bmp).

studentmom said:
Oh--I'm sorry, I do have Aol.
It let's me Save Picture As..., then a little box pops up that lets me name the file and then under that it gives me the option to Save as Type- and I can either choose ART (*.art) or Bitmap (*.bmp).

Have you done what Shriva suggested? That ought to take care of it. it did for me months ago! I got the info from the thread about Disney Design Tips...

Here is how to do it:

AOL automatically compresses graphics files to enhance speed

You have to go into AOL's Settings

If you have 9.0, view by category.

Under Customize AOL click view all.

Scroll down to How AOL Works and click on Browser Settings.

Change the default to Never Compress Graphics.

Once the change takes place and you right click on a image, you should see other graphic save options.

change it to whatever you want to open it if it has nothing
there..

Well...I made sure that it said No Compression and I saved that. I went to the control panel and there wasn't anything that said folder options, but there was a little icon of a pic of a folder so I clicked on that and then I found where it said My Pictures. I wasn't sure if that was what she meant? I had named the file Disney shirts and clicked on that. That is where I found where it said Print shop Photo Album or File next to each of the pictures that I saved. Wasn't totally sure if that was what she meant. :confused:

studentmom said:

change it to whatever you want to open it if it has nothing
there..

Well...I made sure that it said No Compression and I saved that. I went to the control panel and there wasn't anything that said folder options, but there was a little icon of a pic of a folder so I clicked on that and then I found where it said My Pictures. I wasn't sure if that was what she meant? I had named the file Disney shirts and clicked on that. That is where I found where it said Print shop Photo Album or File next to each of the pictures that I saved. Wasn't totally sure if that was what she meant. :confused:

Just so you know... Shriva is a guy :goodvibes with lots of computer knowledge when it comes to graphics.

Did you try changing your settings in AOL as I described in the post above your last one? That is how I fixed the same problem I was having.

Heres what i think is your problem...

First, your on AoL..hehe

Not AoL wants to save image files in a compressed file (.art) that only really opens in AOL.. so thats a problem.. You need to go into the AOL settings and change it so it doesn't save the files with compression.

That should then let you save the files in other ways.. (.jpg and .gif)

You should download one of the trial versions of photoshop or photo impact..

But, you need to change the settings in AOL to save pics with NO compression..

Perhaps someone that has AOL and did it already and PM you thier AIM name and talk you through it that way..would be alot easier.. :)

If you can't figure it out by tomorrow night i'll search around and see if i can find a step by step way to do it :)

Till then save the files as .bmp.. should be able to open them then..but .jpg is alot better..

Don't give up! we will get you running sonner or later :)

(And yes i'm a guy..hehe )

Did alittle searching.... heres the directions to turn off file compression..

To turn off AOL's compression:
1. Click "Settings" (or "My AOL" in earlier versions) in the menu bar, then select "Preferences."
2. Click "WWW."
3. Select the "Web Graphics" tab.
4. Select "Never Compress Graphics" (or uncheck "Use Compressed Graphics" in earlier versions)
5. Click "OK" and close the window.

OR another way...

Sign onto AOL the normal way.. but make it small (in the background)

Then open Internet explorer and come to these pages.. then while IN internet explorer you should be able to right click the images and save as .jpg.

Try turning off the compression first though..

Let me know if either way works for you...

Good luck!

PNO4TE said:
Just so you know... Shriva is a guy :goodvibes with lots of computer knowledge when it comes to graphics.

Did you try changing your settings in AOL as I described in the post above your last one? That is how I fixed the same problem I was having.

Oh My Gosh!! I am sooo sorry Shriva!! :worship:
I've only been on the DISigns a few times! And I already blew it!!! :guilty:

Ok, I clicked on Never Compress Graphics and I saved that. and then I went back and signed onto Internet Explorer and it still only gave me the options of Art and Bitmap.
Well at least when we replace our computer in a few months we'll probably be going with Verizon..so maybe that will be better :goodvibes
I think I'll sleep on it and then try it again in the mornin'. Thanks again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!