HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were there in July the kids games were at the courtyard pool.

HTH

Oh! That would be even better since it's closer to Sugarloaf....but now I'm thinking I may want to request a marina side of Sugarloaf....because the other side might be loud? :scratchin

We like our mid day naps. :goodvibes

This has been a great conversation regarding the deluxe room categories. I'm so glad that it's here for the future. I had been in a whirl of confusion. Thank you for clearing it all up-you guys are the best!!!!!

I agree.....those gals are great with all of their knowledge of the GF :thumbsup2.

Oh, I see you made some changes to your trip, Mickeynut, but being at the GF in March can't be a bad thing! You just have to make your paper chain calendar (like in kindergarten) somewhat longer! Sorry about that..

Yeah, some things came up that we decided to push our trip back. I rebooked our cruise for December 2014 and used the new RO discount that just came out to book a trip for March. December is right around the corner, but March isn't that far away and will be here before I know it :goodvibes. LOL on the paperchain.....reading that brought back some long ago memories :rotfl:.

been gone a few days and I'm catching up also;

Glad to "see" you back. Your trip is coming up fast :yay:.

Add me to the list of crazies....:lmao:

The more the merrier......it's always nice to have one more :rotfl:.

Glad your youngest DS can just go with the flow...At the ripe old age 29 ;)I'm still an MK kind of girl.......My only complaint about BC was the size of the lounge, plus it didn't help the was one guy hogging every chair waiting for the rest of his group to show up which almost an hour after we asked for 1 chair...How Rude!...........Thanks..Yep relax by watching tv or reading some trashy book or some equally trashy fan fiction written about one of my fave tv shows ......We did 2 nights at BWI 3 yrs ago of course that trip was lots of moving then on F&G trip we had 2 nights at BC followed by 3 nights at the GF with another fab upgrade.......Yeah can't get away from the GF fell in love with it 25 years ago....Guess the only way for mom & I to try new resorts is a split stay

I wish my oldest was more easy going......but he's adamant about his resort and having good CS options :rotfl2:. We also love the MK area. We did enjoy our BC stay years ago and it was nice being so close to Epcot and DHS, but we don't love it like we do the MK area and resorts. I would like to try BWI and YC, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. Splits are a great way to try different resorts without taking separate trips to do it.

We'll be checking in on Sunday afternoon. I requested big pine key upper floor as I wanted mama and daddy to be close to the restaurants and rail line. Can someone advise what to do if we get to our room and we're looking at the back of that proverbial building? Should I say something when we check in?

I've never been there and don't know what to say or ask for or request at checkin. I hope we are given a nice room but am clueless as to any requests.

You will be there before you know it :cool1:.

If you get to your room and don't like it, you can go back to the front desk and request a different room. When we were there in December 2010, we were assigned a room with no daybed. I called from the room and politely asked if there was another room available with a daybed. Within 5 minutes we were moved to a room with a daybed. So all it takes is inquiring about a different room. If one is not available right away and you're willing to wait for it, Disney will accommodate you.

None of the buildings at the GF are very far away from anything else, it's a fairly compact resort.

I agree :thumbsup2.

Mickeynut It was great catching up with you last night :goodvibes ...I thing we were burning up the airwaves..LOL...I know that you and your family will enjoy your next stay at the GF...

Speaking of food..cause its always about the food..and the QS options..cause I know thats important to your fellas.. Have you seen the refurbed Gasparillas yet?? Lots more seating...and much quieter now that the moved all of the games into a game room...

Yes it was.....I didn't realize we were on the phone for that long, but it was very nice catching up. I am very much looking forward to our stay next spring ::yes::.

I have seen pics of the refurbed Gasparillas. I am so glad they took out those arcade games. That was one of the things we hated as those games took away a lot of seating and it was always very loud in there :crazy2:. I will definitely check it out when we're there in March.

Here are some photos to help visualize the distances in the courtyard. This was taken from the 3rd (4th? can't remember) floor of Boca Chica, garden view. The entry to the building is to the left of this photo - the entry to the main bldg. is past the pool.

This photo is from the club lounge in the main bldg. You can see Boca past the pool.

Love the pics.....makes me want to be there now :upsidedow.

Looks like GF is our top contender for our trip next December. I stayed at the GF in 2000 and walked through on our 2012 trip, but I'm guessing a lot has changed in 13 years.

Should we splurge for RPC, or stick with SL?

I think the GF is an excellent choice.

If RPC is doable, that would be my choice.

Ground level of the paths, taken from the back entry to main bldg. Boca is past the pool.

Taken on the path around the pool, you can see Boca in the background

Standing on grassy lawn in front of Boca, you can see main bldg. in background

Still in front of Boca, turned so you can see Sugar Loaf on right and main bldg. in the center

The GF grounds are so beautiful :cloud9:.

We are going to be there in a weeks time and I can not wait! I am going to get the suitcases out tomorrow and start to pack!

Happy packing. Have a great trip :cheer2:.

Hi fellow GF Fans. :goodvibes I'm in the single digits, too,

Have a great trip :banana:.

Also LOVING all the pics. It is getting me more excited for our resort choice. It is now official. I booked the GF today for our trip next summer. We will be in a garden view room July 23-30. I decided not to make any room requests yet. I am going to wait until June or so to see what refurbs will be done and which buildings are complete before adding requests. I will most likely request non-dormer, marina view. Being a Poly transplant, I actually do NOT want to see the Poly from our room as I want to "feel the grand" vs "longing for the Poly" if you KWIM? now....If they want to upgrade me to TPV and I happen to see the Poly off to the side...that would be A-OK:thumbsup2

We have always loved eating at the GF and admiring all the lovely landscaping. We are all excited to stay here.

Safe travels to those leaving soon

You are going to love the GF :goodvibes. I don't think there are any bad rooms/views, but you can always request a different room should you get assigned one that you don't like.

More photos from a 4th floor balcony, Big Pine Key.

More great pics, I love them all. Thanks for posting all of these :flower3:.

Evening, GF pals...:wave2:

Knowing myself, I may get started before you leave for your trip! :cheer2:

Hi grannyminnie :wave2:.

Happy packing......you will be on your way soon :wizard:.

We booked our trip today! We will be at the GF 5/31-6/7. This will be my 3 nieces first trip to WDW and we are so excited to get to experience it with them! I am sure I will have lots of questions in the coming months- thanks for all the help so far :)

k&a&C'smom, :wave2: I hadn't read anything about fencing only main pools but just the thing about fencing any new pool or one that has construction. Since WDW pools seem to be refurbished on a regular basis, that would indicate all of them to me. Of course, I have no idea if any of that info is accurate. :rotfl:

I hope you fit a trip in soon and that you enjoy the convenience of the Magic Bands when you try them. :flower3:

I thought from your other post that you thought that the outisde of the outer CL building looked different!!?? LOL..Oops! :upsidedow

The lounge is SL used to have four long sofas flanked by nice wicker chairs..and a coffee table in the middle...My kids used to love to sit the out there and play board games after a day in the parks...:goodvibes but those have been gone for quite a while now...

With all of the small tables that they now have its more functional...which is what I decribed as the small bistro type feeling! LOL..there are still two comfy arm chairs near the pool side of the building entrance...might be a nice spot for your parents to sit and relax ..RPC has a few different sitting areas on all three levels...

It seems that the fence is permanent...

Hey there BCV :wave2: :dance3:Woohoo a few more days for you too!! Are you staying at the new villas?? Is there going to be another vacation club in your siggie!!?? LOL..Is there room??? Have a great trip...

I am right with you on SL...love it! Love both CLs :lovestruc..

But.. not the fencing around the courtyard pool..You are right about the fact that it has a nice victorian look...disney is generally good about all of those details..fortunately for those of us who love the details!! LOL..but I thought that it looked so much grander before...:confused3

Great description of the previous seating in Sugar Loaf. I think the current seating is more functional but not as charming. What nice memories you have of your children playing games.

We are staying in the villas and can't wait. No, we haven't purchased VGF. We have quite a few points and are probably done buying points unless we sell some of our other contracts. I just wish the VGF and villas at the Polynesian (do they have a name yet?) were built earlier.

I love both club levels, too, but RPC are :joker: to me.

Hope you have a great trip, too. pixiedust:

BCV23 - have a wonderful trip!
I thought I would hate the fence around the courtyard pool. We started staying at the Grand in 2003 when the kids were little and they spent most of their time at that pool - lots of memories. I think they did a good job of making the new fence fit in with the whole themeing. Love the pool at night with the fountains.

We are booked at the GF in a TPV room July 19-26 but I think we are going to add another day since we decided to do the Universal trip at Easter instead of going right after we leave the GF.

Still nervous about the whole FP Plus/Magic Bands, but then again I'm a creature of habit and change is always hard for me.

Two WDW trips for you this year! I know you usually take a very long summer trip. Happy planning and thank you. :goodvibes

mickeynut1, :wave2: Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sorry you needed to move your trip a bit but now you get to do more planning! :cool1: Have fun. :flower3:

mickeynut - thanks about the photos!

It is hard to try new resorts when you want to stay at your old favorite, which is why we started doing split stays. New resort for a couple days first, then on to the one we love.:teeth: Can't blame you for wanting to stick with the MK area, we love the whole MK aura.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know:)

:goodvibes

I am staying in RPC next April. Am I able to request one of these larger queens that I have seen in some of the photos?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

BlueSkies gave you a lot of good details, if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.:flower3:

k&a&c'smom My posting pal!! :teleport: Thank you for all of the wonderful pics!! :goodvibes If I didnt have a trip coming up soon..those would have prompted me to call and book something for sure!

:teeth:Are you composing something right now?!

I got a little carried away with the photos yesterday! lol I know what you mean, though, I am dying to book something, anything, after going through so many of my photos.

The lounge is SL used to have four long sofas flanked by nice wicker chairs..and a coffee table in the middle...My kids used to love to sit the out there and play board games after a day in the parks... but those have been gone for quite a while now...

With all of the small tables that they now have its more functional...which is what I decribed as the small bistro type feeling! LOL..there are still two comfy arm chairs near the pool side of the building entrance...might be a nice spot for your parents to sit and relax ..RPC has a few different sitting areas on all three levels...

I am the proud owner of THREE GF duffle bags...Yep..three! :rolleyes1 Purchased at different times to take home just a few things that I couldnt jam into the suitcase!!

Thanks for the SL details, I can't remember what set up they had on our first stay. I do remember a switch, it was during one of our trips - was that in 2007, when they did the major refurb? Your description of the kids playing board games made me smile, what a great memory to have.:lovestruc

LOL about the 3 duffle bags, I can so relate!:laughing: I have 3 or 4 of the brightly colored shopping bags that you get in the gift shops for $6 or so; a WDW nylon tote with the stylised "Disney" on the front, middle DS carried that to school for years; a bunch of the canvas tote bags, especially love the first ones with the navy and royal blue handles and stripes; and, finally, two of the duffle bags they had as an upsell late last year-early this year!:rotfl2: All this, after I said the other day I don't buy much at WDW.

We are booked at the GF in a TPV room July 19-26 but I think we are going to add another day since we decided to do the Universal trip at Easter instead of going right after we leave the GF.

Still nervous about the whole FP Plus/Magic Bands, but then again I'm a creature of habit and change is always hard for me.

:wave: Me, too, about the bands, I hope I like them. Will you still be at the BC this summer, too? I know you are usually there for a good long trip each year. Are you sure you want to move your US trip back, with the new HP section opening in June or July?;) We can't wait for the Hogwart's Express and Diagon Alley areas.:cheer2:

Evening, GF pals...:wave2:

All we need now to go with all these lovely pictures is the smell from that beatiful lobby!! :love: Thanks, k&a&c'smom! :goodvibes

I talked with a lady today who had just returned from WDW, but had stayed off-property, and she felt that not having the MB to wear was a negative as far as how much her family got to do. It made her decide that next trip would be on the property.

I'll throw in my 2 cents on SL. We love it! Of course, RPC is the ultimate, but if it's out of the question, I don't think you can go wrong with SL! :thumbsup2

You're welcome about the photos. Ooh, the lobby smell.~sigh~ Wish we had smell-o-vision, as my dad used to say.;)

Thanks for the update on the MB, I wondered if it would affect the experience not to have them. Sounds like I may be forced to get used to them, in the end.

I agree about RPC and SL; we love RPC, it is special, but we have no problem booking SL (if we can get it!) or even a garden view. We alternate with RPC, or club in general, for that matter.

When we were there in July the kids games were at the courtyard pool.

HTH

When we were there in sept the kids games were at the beach pool. The courtyard pool was much much quieter then the beach pool. Both were great!

When we were there in April, they were at the courtyard; obviously, still there through the summer. Sounds like they finally moved the games back to the themed pool in the last couple months. Good! Having a quiet courtyard area is better, IMO.

Oh! That would be even better since it's closer to Sugarloaf....but now I'm thinking I may want to request a marina side of Sugarloaf....because the other side might be loud? :scratchin

We like our mid day naps. :goodvibes

It sounds like they have moved them back to the Beach Pool, but I would email IPO and ask, just in case. That way, you can make your request without having to consider the pool noise.:thumbsup2

We booked our trip today! We will be at the GF 5/31-6/7. This will be my 3 nieces first trip to WDW and we are so excited to get to experience it with them! I am sure I will have lots of questions in the coming months- thanks for all the help so far :)

Congrats!:cheer2: A first trip with little girls, how magical!:tinker:

k&a&C'smom, :wave2: I hadn't read anything about fencing only main pools but just the thing about fencing any new pool or one that has construction. Since WDW pools seem to be refurbished on a regular basis, that would indicate all of them to me. Of course, I have no idea if any of that info is accurate. :rotfl:

I hope you fit a trip in soon and that you enjoy the convenience of the Magic Bands when you try them. :flower3:

Great description of the previous seating in Sugar Loaf. I think the current seating is more functional but not as charming. What nice memories you have of your children playing games.

We are staying in the villas and can't wait. No, we haven't purchased VGF. We have quite a few points and are probably done buying points unless we sell some of our other contracts. I just wish the VGF and villas at the Polynesian (do they have a name yet?) were built earlier.

Hey!:wave: We were posting at the same time, and many of the same comments.;)

Right after I posted I had read only the main pools would be fenced, I wrote that quote about FL law and fences on major refurbs!:laughing: That would certainly indicate they will all eventually get a fence, wouldn't it?!

Thanks about the trip, and the MB - I'm sure I'll like them, once I get used to wearing them.:goodvibes

Can't wait for your VGF review.:coffee:

So, what is everyone's favorite Sugarloaf view -- marina or courtyard? And why? :goodvibes

Oh, I would like to hear this too...can you see the monorail from SL?

Sorry, I can't be much help - I love both views!;) Love the view of the courtyard area and pool, as we enjoy the atmosphere. On the other hand, the marina views are so pretty and it is more peaceful. Can't go wrong, in my opinion.

Yes, you can see a portion of the monorail on the marina side. I've got some photos I'll post - more photos, lol.

Hey!:wave: We were posting at the same time, and many of the same comments.;)

Right after I posted I had read only the main pools would be fenced, I wrote that quote about FL law and fences on major refurbs!:laughing: That would certainly indicate they will all eventually get a fence, wouldn't it?!

Thanks about the trip, and the MB - I'm sure I'll like them, once I get used to wearing them.:goodvibes

Can't wait for your VGF review.:coffee:

Sorry, I can't be much help - I love both views!;) Love the view of the courtyard area and pool, as we enjoy the atmosphere. On the other hand, the marina views are so pretty and it is more peaceful. Can't go wrong, in my opinion.

Yes, you can see a portion of the monorail on the marina side. I've got some photos I'll post - more photos, lol.

More Photos!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Seeing the monorail sounds nice...but with that fountain function in the courtyard pool, I bet that's nice to look at at nighttime....

Can you request a monorail view? :scratchin

SL marina view; we were in the very end room on the 2nd floor - end next to Conch Key. Other rooms have a less obstructed view, but we loved this! Mousemommy, I don't think you need to request a monorail view - if you have marina view, you will see it!

Looking left, you can see Sago Cay across the water
IMG_1488.jpg

You can see the monorail through the trees
IMG_1486.jpg

End of Conch Key and pathway along marina, back of boat house
IMG_1485.jpg

View of courtyard pool, 5th floor Sugar Loaf (prior to 2013 refurb - kind of blurry, I resized)
Untitled_zpse81d786d.png
(thanks, JungleCruiser!)

These photos are from a top floor room in Conch, but it gives you an idea of how easy it is to see the monorail from the marina view rooms. This room was on the end closest to SL, I'm pretty sure it was 7501.

Looking at marina, Gasparilla's
DSCN1904.jpg

End of Sago Cay
DSCN1903.jpg

Monorail
DSCN1902.jpg

Looking right, monorail continues to MK
DSCN1905.jpg

Isn't it so pretty?!:cloud9: Very hard to choose, which is why we are happy whichever view we get in SL. My biggest request is "non-dormer" and "non-connecting" rather than which view.:)

Oh yes, those are interesting requests...the dormer rooms are smaller, aren't they?

Oh yes, those are interesting requests...the dormer rooms are smaller, aren't they?

They can be, although I've read of posters who felt their room was about the same size as a regular room, and after the 2007 renovations I saw photos of rooms that had the daybed added. As far as I know, there are still some dormers with a daybed, some without - but if anyone has better info on that, don't hesitate to add it!:goodvibes

With the vaulted ceilings, the rooms do have a more airy quality. My main problem is the dormer balcony, they are enclosed and I prefer the open fencing on the regular balconies.

The "non-connecting" request started years ago, when we had several visits in a row (USO, too, not just WDW) where we had noisy neighbors that kept us up at night!:headache: It is very difficult for me to get a non-connecting room, which is why I'm always surprised when guests post they asked FOR a connecting room and didn't get it!:confused:

Hi to pas :goodvibes. Too funny about wanting to possibly make a resort change if she came over here :laughing:.
Well I managed to make a change to Sugarloaf anyway....:rotfl2: from WL CL...from June to August..:faint: I have a quick Dec. trip and we will be at Poly at a great rate..no changes there...no changes there, :goodvibes Hi back at ya :hug:

Give pas my love, I need to pop into the RC thread to say hey. I rarely venture out of my own little corner of the DIS.:laughing:
:hug: Missed you! Felt the Grand love all the way over on the RC thread. You are welcome ANYTIME!!! I shall roll out the red carpet for my Grand hostess! :love:

Thanks for posting the link to the Sugarloaf pictures!! :goodvibes
Sugarloaf rocks!!! :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 Congratulations on booking your trip.... princess: princess: princess: There is something so special about seeing Disney thru the eyes of a child...Have a magical trip!

k&a&c'smom More lovely photos! Thank you!! :goodvibes

Funny thing about the connecting rooms..I don't like them either...not so much for noise reasons.. I just don't??? LOL ..I have added the ones that I know of that are not connecting on my "list" LOL...

How did I miss posting at the same time this morning?? LOL.. ;) My telepathy must be off today!

As for the dormer rooms...have had one only once I think...those vaulted ceilings really do give the room a larger feel...too bad that they don't have a nice open balcony...also if I remember correctly..it had no daybed..

BCV :woohoo: How wonderful that you will be staying at VGF!! And to be there on opening week!!! ...So exciting!:goodvibes

Mickeynut Two days in a row!! :chat: We sure do have a lot to talk about!!! LOL..Any more conversations and I don't know how many trips we will end up booking for next year...:blush: LOL..

grannyminnie I am packed...:thumbsup2 Ready to repack...I need to stop checking the weather reports! :eek: You are almost at single digits!!! :dance3:

pas We are big fans of SL in the summertime too! Cant beat that location..especially if you are enjoying some pool time... Looks like you have a few trips coming up! How nice!

To all of my fellow GF fans..Have a fabulous Friday!! :earsgirl:

Well I managed to make a change to Sugarloaf anyway....:rotfl2: from WL CL...from June to August..:faint: I have a quick Dec. trip and we will be at Poly at a great rate..no changes there...no changes there, :goodvibes Hi back at ya :hug:

:hug: Missed you! Felt the Grand love all the way over on the RC thread. You are welcome ANYTIME!!! I shall roll out the red carpet for my Grand hostess! :love:

Sugarloaf rocks!!! :thumbsup2

Hey, you!:hug: Good to "see" you! I'm sorry I didn't make it to the RC thread, I've been busy posting photos.:rotfl:

SL does rock, we really enjoy it. It has gotten harder to snag it with a discount, though, we rarely book far enough out. YAY for your great rate at Poly.:cheer2:

k&a&c'smom More lovely photos! Thank you!! :goodvibes

Funny thing about the connecting rooms..I don't like them either...not so much for noise reasons.. I just don't??? LOL ..I have added the ones that I know of that are not connecting on my "list" LOL...

How did I miss posting at the same time this morning?? LOL.. ;) My telepathy must be off today!

As for the dormer rooms...have had one only once I think...those vaulted ceilings really do give the room a larger feel...too bad that they don't have a nice open balcony...also if I remember correctly..it had no daybed..

I am packed...:thumbsup2 Ready to repack...I need to stop checking the weather reports! :eek: You are almost at single digits!!! :dance3:

To all of my fellow GF fans..Have a fabulous Friday!! :earsgirl:

Packed already?! Look at you go!:teeth: LOL about being ready to repack. The weather in Orlando next week looks pretty good, maybe a slight chance of rain but I bet that doesn't end up to be much.

Yep, you didn't mirror my post this morning.;) But BCV23 did, so I didn't feel lonely.:laughing:

We did not have a daybed in the one dormer we had, either. I think it was in 2007, as it was Conch Key (the view photos I posted earlier, I checked and it was 7501) but in the spring, prior to the renovations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!