HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. What do you know about the other two contractors? Mulligan is listed under the CSR and BWI permits and Wilsten Group under YC permit.

The last refurb for CSR was so extensive, I would guess that theirs is just a soft rehab. Did BWI and YC keep the same furniture in their last rehab? And GF--weren't some furniture items replaced while others stayed the same in their last refurb?

I haven't heard of those two. we are in the palm beach area and we have bid on Disney work years ago, but we can't complete with the PCL's and Turner's ..
It could be it was easier to use the survey then trying to put all those legal details on that tiny form line.. You need book, page.. Blah blah.. The Town of Palm beach where we build homes is very picky about legal descriptions.
Still, pulling permits means more than just paint or cosmetics.. And a NOC is good for one year unless you add a completion date.

I hope GF goes to the white duvets with color runner like some of the other rooms are. It seems classy, clean and easy to launder.

My DD agrees with your DH - she is over the whole split stay thing and prefers to just move in until the end of the trip.;)

I didn't give the links for the others, they are separate listings. Here is the YC, BWI and CSR permits.:)

Interesting about the BC lounge. They do need an expansion - I wonder if that is what they are doing with the YC lounge? ETA: Y&BC rooms were refurbed around the same time as the BWI rooms, so I'm surprised they plan another one already. GF is just now getting their refurb while the Epcot resorts are planning a second one! lol

It is easier to check in and not pack/move until it's time to go home, but trying new resorts is always fun :goodvibes. We will get to do that next December before and after our cruise, but I think that will be the only time my DH will go for it (especially since he has no other choice since we will arrive prior to the day we sail and stay a few days after :rotfl::rotfl:).

Thanks for the other links :)....I thought I was missing something when I didn't see other resorts.

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly is in the works for BC/YC :confused:. We've stayed at the BC, but not CL, and it seems that a lot of people report the lounge is pretty small :(.

I may be in the minority here but I am crossing my fingers that the wallpaper and the bedspreads in the GF rooms go away with this refurb. I would love to see a more upscale look closer to the VGF style....which is BEAUTIFUL:cloud9:

My guess is that the bed spreads will go and will be replaced with the duvets. I also LOVE the VGF decor, it's a very pretty/upscale decor, IMO :goodvibes.

I wouldn't mind if the rooms reflected the feel of the lobby, but the trend to make all the Disney rooms look like a generic mid-level hotel makes me sad. White duvets with a colored bed scarf - I see it in every Hampton or Holiday Inn we stop in on the road.~sigh~

Again, I'm in the minority.;)

I agree about not liking the rooms being redone in a generic-like decor. That's how I feel about the Poly. I am in the minority that I loved the old Poly decor and while it's great that the Poly got a total refurb, I feel that Disney took out the "Polynesian" feel :( (my opinion only). I can't wait to stay at the Poly again with the new rooms and I think the new rooms look crisp and clean, but it really got toned down (IMO) and I will miss the dark tones/colors.

The model room pics for VGF are just stunning. They captured the Victorian feel while bringing it forward with modern tastes. I kinda hope the new GF rooms have some of that feel but with a little more whimsy added in. While the VGF are fabulous, I would like the hotel rooms to have more Disney details. A sprinkling of tea pots, some rabbits, a few castle silhouettes..... I think it is very nice the way they added the new animal tiles in the WL showers with their last remodel. Would be great to see something similar at GF in the Alice theme. ::yes::

I agree :thumbsup2. As I stated above, I think Disney changed the Poly too much and I wish they kept more of the darker browns, etc., so with the GF, I too hope they kind of follow the VGF decor, but with more Disney touches :wizard:.

I hope GF goes to the white duvets with color runner like some of the other rooms are. It seems classy, clean and easy to launder.

I'm sure the laundry issue is a big reason they are switching out to the duvets. So many people are wigged out about the spreads, many seem to call and ask for a new one. Much easier to bring up a clean duvet cover, I'm sure. Our first trip to BC after the switch, we were discussing that very issue with the mousekeeper.

It is easier to check in and not pack/move until it's time to go home, but trying new resorts is always fun :goodvibes. We will get to do that next December before and after our cruise, but I think that will be the only time my DH will go for it (especially since he has no other choice since we will arrive prior to the day we sail and stay a few days after :rotfl::rotfl:).

Thanks for the other links :)....I thought I was missing something when I didn't see other resorts.

Yeah, I'm not sure what exactly is in the works for BC/YC :confused:. We've stayed at the BC, but not CL, and it seems that a lot of people report the lounge is pretty small :(.

My guess is that the bed spreads will go and will be replaced with the duvets. I also LOVE the VGF decor, it's a very pretty/upscale decor, IMO :goodvibes.

I agree about not liking the rooms being redone in a generic-like decor. That's how I feel about the Poly. I am in the minority that I loved the old Poly decor and while it's great that the Poly got a total refurb, I feel that Disney took out the "Polynesian" feel :( (my opinion only). I can't wait to stay at the Poly again with the new rooms and I think the new rooms look crisp and clean, but it really got toned down (IMO) and I will miss the dark tones/colors.

I agree :thumbsup2. As I stated above, I think Disney changed the Poly too much and I wish they kept more of the darker browns, etc., so with the GF, I too hope they kind of follow the VGF decor, but with more Disney touches :wizard:.

LOL about the cruise making it a necessity to split your stay!:teeth:

We've stayed at YC CL, but not in BC CL - just garden view rooms. I'm mostly going by photos and reports of fellow DISers, but it certainly seems they could use an expansion in the lounge. I noticed a permit from back in May for the BCV, did they rehab the villas already? Or is that still in progress?

I know what you mean about the Poly losing its Polynesian feel. I'm not a huge fan of the new look, either. I didn't like the spreads from the previous decor (you notice a theme? hahaha) but we loved the patterns on the pillows, the chair, etc. The new beds and daybed do not look very comfy - they seem as though they are simply wrapped with sheets? Maybe the photos I've seen are just the model room. ?? I really dislike the new bathrooms, sorry to say.

I'm bummed about the rumor they will be removing the water feature in the GCH!!:scared1: Then it really will feel like they have changed the whole resort.~sigh~

I, too, hope for something more Disney-esque at the Grand, but with the current trend, it doesn't seem likely.

It's been a year since our last Grand trip, and GRAND it was in every way. While I'm not going back with any delusions of grandeur, :rotfl: I do want to go back.
Here's the thing, last year so much was closed at the resort when we went, no biggie. But this year with the DVC just opening, I'm worried it will be much more crowded all around the resort.
Do you think this is going to be the case? We're hoping to book Dec 1st-5th.

k&a&c thanks for the beautiful pics! Missing GF so stopped in for a fix lol! We loved Boca.
Jan. Trip booked at POFQ. Love that boat to DTD. Will have to go visit GF.
August trip thinking of Poly!

I wouldn't mind if the rooms reflected the feel of the lobby, but the trend to make all the Disney rooms look like a generic mid-level hotel makes me sad. White duvets with a colored bed scarf - I see it in every Hampton or Holiday Inn we stop in on the road.~sigh~

I too am a big fan of the VGF style, but I have to say that I like the "fussy" blue Alice in Wonderland themed decor prior to the current decor a lot better than the current. The Alice theme was very go big or go home.

I am in complete agreement with you guys! DD and I loved the Alice decor and were really sad to see it go...I think it's a combination of the early memories of our first few stays at the GF, DD loving Alice in Wonderland, and our feeling that the newer decor is kinda blah (we just loved that yellow and blue!). I just hope the newest decor isn't too generic.

:sunny:

I too am a big fan of the VGF style, but I have to say that I like the "fussy" blue Alice in Wonderland themed decor prior to the current decor a lot better than the current. The Alice theme was very go big or go home.

The current decor is just so meh to me, which is why it has been hard to embrace GF, but I am eager to see what they do with it! :goodvibes

I wish we had seen the Alice decor, but by the time we "discovered" the GF, it had been replaced. The pictures of the pillows with tea cups made me want one!::love: I do like the decor I've seen in the VGF pictures, and would not mind the GF to have the same; but as another poster said, let's keep some Mickey touches....::yes::

Looks like I'm down to 2 weeks....time to get out the suitcase!!! :cheer2:

I wish we had seen the Alice decor, but by the time we "discovered" the GF, it had been replaced.

I can't remember for our 2005 trip what decor was? I DO remember the awesome drawer stocked with goodies to buy. Ds thought that was so cool to get a bag of goldfish crackers or a KitKat bar without leaving the room:worship:

The pictures of the pillows with tea cups made me want one!::love: I do like the decor I've seen in the VGF pictures, and would not mind the GF to have the same; but as another poster said, let's keep some Mickey touches....::yes::
:thumbsup2 Mickey touches!

:banana::banana:

It's been a year since our last Grand trip, and GRAND it was in every way. While I'm not going back with any delusions of grandeur, :rotfl: I do want to go back.
Here's the thing, last year so much was closed at the resort when we went, no biggie. But this year with the DVC just opening, I'm worried it will be much more crowded all around the resort.

LOL - love your play on words!

I wish I knew how crowded the resort will be.:scratchin This is the fear for all of us who were worried about adding DVC to our favorite resort, I'm hoping our fears were unfounded and it won't be much different. The good news is there are only 147 keys at VGF, so it's a smaller property than most DVC - smaller than BLT by far!

k&a&c thanks for the beautiful pics! Missing GF so stopped in for a fix lol! We loved Boca.
Jan. Trip booked at POFQ. Love that boat to DTD. Will have to go visit GF.
August trip thinking of Poly!

Welcome back!:goodvibes Your upcoming trips sound great, we love the boat to DTD, too, and I really like what they've done with the POFQ rooms.

Thanks for the info on the activities in August - I think with your input, we've narrowed it down to Sept. when they moved back to the Beach Pool.:thumbsup2

I am in complete agreement with you guys! DD and I loved the Alice decor and were really sad to see it go...I think it's a combination of the early memories of our first few stays at the GF, DD loving Alice in Wonderland, and our feeling that the newer decor is kinda blah (we just loved that yellow and blue!). I just hope the newest decor isn't too generic.

:sunny:

Sounds like we're all in agreement, refurb sounds great but we hope for some Disney touches.pixiedust:

I wish we had seen the Alice decor, but by the time we "discovered" the GF, it had been replaced. The pictures of the pillows with tea cups made me want one!::love: I do like the decor I've seen in the VGF pictures, and would not mind the GF to have the same; but as another poster said, let's keep some Mickey touches....::yes::

They used to sell those pillows, and I let it get away from me without buying one.:sad: I kept meaning to, and the "a dream is a wish your heart makes" pillow, but put it off too long.~sigh~

Two weeks to go!:banana::banana:

I can't remember for our 2005 trip what decor was? I DO remember the awesome drawer stocked with goodies to buy. Ds thought that was so cool to get a bag of goldfish crackers or a KitKat bar without leaving the room:worship:

:thumbsup2 Mickey touches!

:banana::banana:

2005 would have been before the renovations, so you would have had one of the old themes. Which building were you in?

We loved that drawer of snacks, too, btw!:teeth:

I've been reading on the DVC boards and found a few recent photos of the VGF.

Link to a blog with exterior shots of the entry and walkway to Main Bldg. (bottom of page)

Video of photos of Lobby and Common areas.

Video of photos of 3 BR Grand Villa and 2 BR Lockoff.

Enjoy!

ETA: Photos posted on DIS blog.

These beds look like they just have sheets wrapped around them, too!:confused: Is that what they are doing - not even the dreaded duvet, just triple sheeting? Someone on another thread mentioned using only triple sheeting at one of the resorts, but I've forgotten now which one. I hope this is just the model.

LOL about the cruise making it a necessity to split your stay!:teeth:

We've stayed at YC CL, but not in BC CL - just garden view rooms. I'm mostly going by photos and reports of fellow DISers, but it certainly seems they could use an expansion in the lounge. I noticed a permit from back in May for the BCV, did they rehab the villas already? Or is that still in progress?

I know what you mean about the Poly losing its Polynesian feel. I'm not a huge fan of the new look, either. I didn't like the spreads from the previous decor (you notice a theme? hahaha) but we loved the patterns on the pillows, the chair, etc. The new beds and daybed do not look very comfy - they seem as though they are simply wrapped with sheets? Maybe the photos I've seen are just the model room. ?? I really dislike the new bathrooms, sorry to say.

I'm bummed about the rumor they will be removing the water feature in the GCH!!:scared1: Then it really will feel like they have changed the whole resort.~sigh~

The funny thing is, my DH doesn't mind one bit staying 2 nights at a resort, then checking out and going on the cruise for 4 nights, then back to Disney for 2-3 nights, but he won't do that for just a resort stay :rolleyes1.

I'm not sure about refurbs on the BCV :confused3. Someone posted recently that DVC is maintained by dues, so it's done differently when it comes to refurbs (with probably more time in between), but I'm not sure.

I am with you on the GCH and the waterfall :(. That is one of the (many) things I love about the Poly......I love walking through the GCH and listening to the waterfall.......I'm really sad that they are going to take it out (or they're thinking about) :sad:. Also, you're not alone on the bathroom. I don't like the new set up at all :sad2:. The 2 sinks are nice, but now the bathrooms look very generic (IMO) as they took out all the greens and I don't like the look at all.

I think the GF will be busier at times due to people staying in the villas using the monorail. I'm sure it will be very busy from now until the end of the year with the villas officially opening this month, along with the holidays, but after the holidays and after the newness of the villas wears off, there will still be people around but I don't think it will be massive people all the time (but that's just my opinion ;)).

:cool1: :dance3: :cool1:

Link to a blog with exterior shots of the entry and walkway to Main Bldg. (bottom of page)

Enjoy!

This is great....thanks for posting these links :goodvibes.

Enjoy!

That's neat that the villas have the covered walkway. :)

The funny thing is, my DH doesn't mind one bit staying 2 nights at a resort, then checking out and going on the cruise for 4 nights, then back to Disney for 2-3 nights, but he won't do that for just a resort stay :rolleyes1.

I'm not sure about refurbs on the BCV :confused3. Someone posted recently that DVC is maintained by dues, so it's done differently when it comes to refurbs (with probably more time in between), but I'm not sure.

I am with you on the GCH and the waterfall :(. That is one of the (many) things I love about the Poly......I love walking through the GCH and listening to the waterfall.......I'm really sad that they are going to take it out (or they're thinking about) :sad:. Also, you're not alone on the bathroom. I don't like the new set up at all :sad2:. The 2 sinks are nice, but now the bathrooms look very generic (IMO) as they took out all the greens and I don't like the look at all.

I think the GF will be busier at times due to people staying in the villas using the monorail. I'm sure it will be very busy from now until the end of the year with the villas officially opening this month, along with the holidays, but after the holidays and after the newness of the villas wears off, there will still be people around but I don't think it will be massive people all the time (but that's just my opinion ;)).

Good points about the newness of the VGF, and the holiday crowds. There is already a higher level of "busy" from Thanksgiving through NYD - with the DVC opening next week, that will add to the bustle around the resort.

LOL about your DH!;)

The Poly waterfall feature has always been a favorite with us, too, we love visiting the GCH, shopping and having a meal, and the splash of water in the background is so soothing.

Green is my favorite color, so taking it out already had me sad, but the look of the Poly bathroom is just not to my liking at all. Looks very retro, which is probably what they were going for, but it's not an era I am at all nostalgic for!:laughing:

Boy..quite a bit of posting to catch up on...:eek: LOL...

Mousemommy I must have missed your post about noise on the courtyard side of SL...:confused3 I am always missing stuff..LOL.. Whenever we stay in SL we always request pool view..just a personal preference..and even when the movies were moved over to that pool area..we never heard a thing in the room... I dont think afternoon activity or general midday hustle bustle could be heard either... I will say tho my niece who was along on one of our trips last year loved sitting on the balcony watching the movie!

SO EXCITED!!!!! It is official. Permits were filed yesterday for the room refurbs at the Grand. All the buildings were listed on the permit filing post on the other forum website but I have not had time to follow the permit link to read the permits myself. I hope to have time tomorrow unless one of you guys beat me to it :goodvibes I found it over on the "magic" website under the rumors and news board and the WDW Permits thread....first post scrolling down to Oct 17. YAY!!!

:thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing that info!!

I missed that, I was less interested in CSR so I didn't look at it as closely as the others.:laughing: I, too, wish we had more details.

I love the wallpaper, but the stuff in the dressing area and bath will probably go this time around. You are not in the minority on bedspreads, I am!:rotfl2: I don't care for these bedspreads, but am not a fan of the ubiquitous white duvet, and don't get me started on the "bed scarf"!

I felt the beds were in keeping with a Victorian theme with the pineapple finials, as Victorians loved using fruits, birds, etc. Maybe not the lighter finish, but even that is possible, as Victorian bedrooms were lighter color schemes than their public rooms. I'm no expert, though, so you could be right.

Again, I'm in the minority.;)

I totally agree :thumbsup2 ...wallpaper ..victorian touches and details...lets keep our fingers crossed! To me anything will be better than the current bedding... :upsidedow

BTW..are you posting about now!!!??? :)

Dont want to forget to say..thanks for those links..and for the info on the units at the new VGF... :goodvibes With that penguin fountain looks like they are leaning more towards the Mary Poppins theming than the Alice themeing...?? Interesting..since that new kiddie splash area is all Alice!???

The current decor is just so meh to me, which is why it has been hard to embrace GF, but I am eager to see what they do with it! :goodvibes

I think that the refurbs will begin in January ..so hopefully SL will be all done by your trip time!

I have been worried about this too..talked about it here on the boards...:worried: and I know only itme will tell... I will be at the GF later this week and will gladly be back to share our experiences...

While traditionlly the first week in December has been a great time to visit the world..this year with Thanksgiving being so late..and based on room availability at the GF that first week..I am thinking that the resort in general is going to be alot more crowded that usual for that time of year...

No matter.. you will still be at disney.and the GF no less..so I am sure it will be another GRAND vacation!! :thumbsup2

Oh that Alice decor...:lovestruc So nice..We have seen a few changes in decor as we have been staying at the GF almost since it has opened..and that has always been our fave!

Granny Two Weeks!!!!!! :dance3: The mickey touches..or even disney touches really make the decor all the more special...I love the wall paper in the bathroom area..with the characters mixed into the pattern! :earsboy:

Mickeynut I was thinking...whats wronng with planning more Disney trips anyway!! ;) Interesting thoughts on the Poly refurb.. I will have to see it in person eventually as DD wants to try it....:cutie: We shall see... I am still thinking more about that WL/GF split...

So much speculation on the new refurbs and decor...I am excited to see what will be...I have mentioned that the small lobby area for the "pool" aka back elevator to RPC was redone on our last trip...and if that is any indication of the new color palette..it was very pretty..the bottom of the wall was done in a soft green with a pretty white lacy flowery pattern on it..and the top ..also patterend was a very pretty blue ( I happen to be a fan of blue! ;) ) lol..It wasnt exactly sky blue..but close to it..sort of aquaish sky blue..LOL...the blue was much brighter that the green..it was devided by a chair railing...that was painted white...it had a bright airy look..one of the things I think that we all like about the GF in general...

Almost forgot to say..I am packed..ready to go..repacked some also..since a friend that is there now told me it is pretty warm and humid!

Have a super Sunday fellow GF fans!!! :flower3:

It doesn't look like I can lose out with either marina or courtyard view. :goodvibes

Maybe I'll just let the pixie dust fall where it shall and be surprised with a view. :wizard:

k&a&c'smom Well there you are!! I see that you posted while I was composing my novel...LOL...:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter