HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Grand Floridian Disers!

I have a question for you and I need some advice. My family is taking our 2nd trip to DW Feb. 1-8. My MIL is coming with us, so we need a resort that holds 5 in a room. We're celebrating my DS's First Disney trip and his 5th Bday. Also, we're celebrating my DD's 10th Bday. I've decided on the monorail resorts b/c of the convenience factor (and, secretly I've always wanted to stay at them!). My MIL walks really slowly and will probably use a scooter some of the time. She will be spending a lot of time relaxing at the resort. I want it to be great for her and for us!

Okay, onto the question: Which resort is a better fit for a 5 yr old boy? My DH wants either CR Mk view or GF??? Poly was in the mix until the construction started...I don't think I could spend a week there right now. The cost is virtually the same...

Please help me! I want to book it when the Disney Visa discount comes out.

Thank you!

I know that this is the GF FAQ..and I really am a GF Gal tried and true..LOL..but....I think that the CR would be a better choice for your family for several reasons...

this being your sons first trip.. there is alot of wow for a 5 year old at the CR...the monorail gliding in and out being at the top of the list...

like the GF it has two really nice pools...and

the main pool has a great slide...and there is a splash area too...

I am sure your 10 year old DD will love the view if decide to go with a TPV room...

I also think that having your MIL along with limited mobility..the CR is more convenient...not only for the access to most everything via elevator..including the monorail...and restaurants..

there is also a great fireworks viewing area right on the 4th floor Grand Canyon Concourse..

As others have said ...both great resorts..and you really cant go wrong with either one... How nice to be having all of those celebraions at WDW! :goodvibes

BCV23, k&a&c'smom, BlueSkies, trishadono, mickeynut1, grannyminnie, and MommyGina <and anyone else i may have missed> thank you so much for your kind words! you are all so sweet and really keep me going. i will just have to will myself to keep participating in this thread! :cheer2: i really appreciate the time each of you took to reply.

Anytime bethclayton :goodvibes

Morning all...:coffee: Back to the thread after a few days out of town, and I see we're still thriving! :) Like some have posted, it's a great bunch to chat with here...:goodvibes

Mickeynut, what changes are you making to your trip?? I missed something...:confused3

Ummm, Blue, I never saw you mention which resort you'll be at in a few weeks! ;) Tell all...LOL

My sister got a report back from some friends who did MNSSHP the other night, and they said it was just great! So sounds as if even tho there seem to be some cutbacks again this year, it's still great fun. :thumbsup2

Ahcupcake, sure hope you shake that sinus infection really soon! :flower3:

bethclayton, :grouphug:

grannyminnie Glad to hear that your sisters friends enjoyed MSSHP..just wish they would stop cutting back on things...We have been lucky enough to have gone for so many years that I do notice when things change... Is that called Disney memory?? LOL...

As for where we are staying...ummm... I forget!!!?? Not...LOl..The GF of course!!! :lovestruc

For those who has stayed RPC in 2013, do you have access to SL too?

We will probably hang out at courtyard pool in the afternoons and that would be nice:)

Sorry Trisha but as far as I know .. you are not able to access SL any longer if you are staying RPC ( I did try during our spring trip) .. this change has taken place ever since they changed over to the new card access system... :( Of course you could just tag along with someone else when they are entering the building..grab your beverages and snacks and run!!! ;) :rotfl: :upsidedow

24 days to go, woohoo! We are staying 5 nights in SL and it will be so nice to be back. Trying to remember back to our last trip in 2009 and I am drawing a blank. Can I find the following in the CL (trying to plan ahead for my picky eater and get my grocery order ready):
Wheat bread (for toast)
Jelly (packets are a-ok!)
Cheese (either cubes or sticks)
Yogurt (flavored)

I think those were my main questionable things. Thanks for all your help! I have loved "lurking" on this board and getting all the updates. This is the first time I have been in control of the planning. My mom usually does it and she is amazed that I am able to get insider info, lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I see that your questions has already been answered by a very knowledgable grannyminnie I just wanted to say...glad that you came out of lurkdome ( is that a word??? LOL..) ..and posted! :goodvibes And have a great trip!

Hi Ladies! I am sad that I am not going for 547 days, so I have decided to plan the trip to keep me busy. This way I can change it a few times, just for fun...Bored much?? SO, my question is...I want to plan a dinner at GF one night (we will be in VGF for 3 nights). I want to try either Narcoossee's or Citrico's. We have been to GFC (love it) and 1900 park fare, but we want to try something different. My kids will be DD8 and DS6 at the time. Which is better do you think? DH and I are not picky eaters, we like all kinds of different food. I do not LOVE seafood, but I will eat it and enjoy it occasionally. If it is a tie we could always do both, but I wanted to make sure one wasn't a must while the other was just ok (yeah, right, I know...). Any help would be appreciated! Especially if one is a little more kid friendly over the other.

We are fans of both restaurants...the biggest difference to me is that Narcoosees has a really nice view of the fireworks ( not to take away tho from the ambience..and top notch service at Citricos...) If you check on Allearsnet they have current childrens menus listed...they are very similar..the adult menus are pretty different though..and maybe that will be a deciding factor..?? I do think that both restaurants are very kid friendly...Citricos seems to be a little more formal..for a Disney restaurant..and Narcoosees a bit more of a laid back feel???...Just my 2 cents..LOL..Hope that I havent confused you! Enjoy what ever you choose! :thumbsup2 BTW..547 will give you lots of time for planning...and more planning! :flower3:

Mickeynut We are gonna get to catch up sooner than later...LOL...:hyper2: I am thinking that we both need to slow down some!!

k&a&c'smom Hope all is well!

:wave2: Hello fellow GF fans! Hope you are all having a terrific Tuesday!!

Here at GF now. Having a grand time!! The new splash pad had been closed since yesterday for "maintenance". Hoping it will open back up before we leave on Saturday!

Here at GF now. Having a grand time!! The new splash pad had been closed since yesterday for "maintenance". Hoping it will open back up before we leave on Saturday!

glad you're enjoying your trip so far! can't wait to hear all about it!

BlueSkies,
Thank you so much! I actually have decided on the CR for this trip. For all the reasons you and several others suggested! I booked TPV today!~ So excited!

BlueSkies,
Thank you so much! I actually have decided on the CR for this trip. For all the reasons you and several others suggested! I booked TPV today!~ So excited!

Dd and I love that view, you will love it.:yay:

Happy Dance time:cool1:

So glad I found this thread! I'm taking my daughter to Orlando later this month for a college visit to UCF, and I decided to make a reservation at the Grand Floridian while we are down there. We have never been to GF before, but it has always been my fantasy. My daughter was critically ill this past spring and diagnosed with a very serious condition. I decided that life was too short, and the next thing I knew I was booking this trip! We received our magic bands last week, have our fast pass+ reservations all made and somehow even were able to get BOG reservations. Everything has just fallen into place, and the only thing left is to get through the next 22 days until we hit the road on our awesome mother daughter trip! Thanks for all of the great information on the thread!

MickeyNut Will do!

My magic band is ordered :thumbsup2 ...I'm not sure exactly what to do with it...:confused3 LOL...But I will let you all know what I think when we get back from our trip...

Thanks :goodvibes. Yay on ordering your magic band :yay:. I haven't kept up on those, but from what I have read, they seem very confusing to me :rolleyes1.

BCV23, k&a&c'smom, BlueSkies, trishadono, mickeynut1, grannyminnie, and MommyGina <and anyone else i may have missed> thank you so much for your kind words! you are all so sweet and really keep me going. i will just have to will myself to keep participating in this thread! :cheer2: i really appreciate the time each of you took to reply.

You're welcome :goodvibes. Even when I don't have a trip planned, it's always fun to read about other people's experiences and just "chat" with everyone here.

Morning all...:coffee: Back to the thread after a few days out of town, and I see we're still thriving! :) Like some have posted, it's a great bunch to chat with here...:goodvibes

Mickeynut, what changes are you making to your trip?? I missed something...:confused3

My sister got a report back from some friends who did MNSSHP the other night, and they said it was just great! So sounds as if even tho there seem to be some cutbacks again this year, it's still great fun. :thumbsup2

Hope you had a nice few days away :). No trip plans have officially been changed yet, but there are some in the works. Glad your sister's friends had a great time at the party. We have been to the Halloween party three times and while we have noticed cutbacks as time has gone on, we have always had a blast ::yes::.

24 days to go, woohoo! We are staying 5 nights in SL and it will be so nice to be back.

I have loved "lurking" on this board and getting all the updates. This is the first time I have been in control of the planning. My mom usually does it and she is amazed that I am able to get insider info, lol

You will be checking into the GF before you know it :dance3:. I hope you are having fun with all of the planning. I love the planning almost as much as being there.

Hi Ladies! I am sad that I am not going for 547 days, so I have decided to plan the trip to keep me busy. This way I can change it a few times, just for fun...Bored much??

It seems like a long time away now, but it will fly by and you will be there before you know it :wizard:. Enjoy the planning part as that's always fun too.

Mickeynut We are gonna get to catch up sooner than later...LOL...:hyper2: I am thinking that we both need to slow down some!!

I agree ::yes::.....this weekend seems to be slow for me, but that is always subject to change (and usually does :rotfl:).

Glad you're having a great time :yay:.

I actually have decided on the CR for this trip. For all the reasons you and several others suggested! I booked TPV today!~ So excited!

Congrats on booking CR TPV :thumbsup2. We love the GF as it's a beautiful resort, but we are trying the CR for the first time in December and I couldn't be more excited.

So glad I found this thread! I'm taking my daughter to Orlando later this month for a college visit to UCF, and I decided to make a reservation at the Grand Floridian while we are down there. We have never been to GF before, but it has always been my fantasy. My daughter was critically ill this past spring and diagnosed with a very serious condition. I decided that life was too short, and the next thing I knew I was booking this trip! We received our magic bands last week, have our fast pass+ reservations all made and somehow even were able to get BOG reservations. Everything has just fallen into place, and the only thing left is to get through the next 22 days until we hit the road on our awesome mother daughter trip! Thanks for all of the great information on the thread!

Congrats on booking the GF.....you're going to love it :wizard:. I hope your daughter is doing ok :hug:. Enjoy the college visit.

jillmc40 - We like Citricos better. We went to Narcoossees in July. It was ok. The service was less than stellar. We had the same server that we had the previous year. She was nice enough, but not on the ball. Found the service and food much better at Citricos.

That was our experience. No matter which one you choose, you will still be at the GF and enjoying every second of it!

I "heart" mom and me trips!

You girls will have a blast:goodvibes

how exciting! you're absolutely right, life is too short, you guys will have a wonderful trip.

since you're new to the thread, i have some youtube videos of the grand floridian as well as some photos on flickr from my last trip in august, i think they are linked on the first page of the thread.

please give us a recap after your trip! :)

:goodvibes Glad that you are having a GRAND time!!

BlueSkies,

You are very welcome! :thumbsup2 The TPV from the CR is just the best!

:welcome: Hope that your DD is doing well... Mother daughter trips are the best! :thumbsup2 Enjoy your time at the GF! :wizard:

mickeynut I read mixed reviews on the MBs..I chose a pretty bright green! Maybe I will plan some outfits color coordinate with it!! LOL.. ;) ...

:wave2: Hey grannieminnie MommyGina BethClayton Trishadono k&a&c'smom mariamouse and all the rest of my fellow GF fans! Hope that you are having a wonderful Wednesday! princess:

I "heart" mom and me trips!

You girls will have a blast:goodvibes

Agreed! I'm 24 and have taken multiple trips with just my mom over the years- including one at the Grand over the holidays a couple years back! I will forever cherish those Disney memories with my mom. She is truly the best. I am sure your daughter will feel the same way. I hope she feels better soon and that you both have a fantastic time at a fantastic resort! :goodvibes

:goodvibes Glad that you are having a GRAND time!!

You are very welcome! :thumbsup2 The TPV from the CR is just the best!

:welcome: Hope that your DD is doing well... Mother daughter trips are the best! :thumbsup2 Enjoy your time at the GF! :wizard:

mickeynut I read mixed reviews on the MBs..I chose a pretty bright green! Maybe I will plan some outfits color coordinate with it!! LOL.. ;) ...

:wave2: Hey grannieminnie MommyGina BethClayton Trishadono k&a&c'smom mariamouse and all the rest of my fellow GF fans! Hope that you are having a wonderful Wednesday! princess:

Fabulous day here, Blue!! Wish we could bottle this weather and pull it out when needed...:goodvibes

Thanks so much everyone for the good thoughts and kind words. My daughter and I are very close. In fact, she calls me her best friend. We are both going crazy waiting for the trip to get here, and it's all we seem to talk about these days. I'm so excited about the trip that I can hardly focus on work. I'm ashamed to admit that on more than one occasion, I've poked around on the boards and worked on the trip plans during office hours. Sometimes I forget that the real reason we are heading to FL is for a college visit. :) I don't know what I'm going to do if she does decide to go to UCF next year. I have a son at FSU, and now my daughter at UCF! There definitely won't be much reason for me to keep living 1,000 miles away in Illinois. The next trip I may be planning is a permanent move to be closer to my kids!

Thank you everyone for the comments on where to eat! Good thing I have lots of time to decide :). I'm sure we will try both at some point. Maybe I will let dh decide based on the menu. Make him think he has some control - hehe!

This time last year dd and I were just about to leave for our mommy and me trip at the gf. Sigh. I wish we could do that every year.

If both of my kids moved to Florida when they got older I would be packed before them :)

Does Outer Building Club Level differentiate between "Pool View" and "Lagoon View"? Using the newly released Disney Visa discounts, we upgraded our Garden View to "Outer Building Club Level, Standard Room" and ended up saving a few $$$.

But for that building, I don't know what "Standard" means. Can it be either Pool or Lagoon? Or does "Standard" just refer to the room not being a Suite?

Thanks.

Does Outer Building Club Level differentiate between "Pool View" and "Lagoon View"? Using the newly released Disney Visa discounts, we upgraded our Garden View to "Outer Building Club Level, Standard Room" and ended up saving a few $$$.

But for that building, I don't know what "Standard" means. Can it be either Pool or Lagoon? Or does "Standard" just refer to the room not being a Suite?

Thanks.

What new visa discounts? Where does one find this?? ;)

Thanks.

Yes std is any non suite. You will get a pool or marina view.

Both are nice:)

What new visa discounts? Where does one find this?? ;)

Historically, the room and package discounts Disney offers to the general public are made available a few days early to Disney Rewards Visa holders. Chase has not yet promoted this but I read about it on other posts.

I already had February room reservations for Yacht Club and GF. I called Disney Reservations this morning and asked for the Disney Visa discounts for my existing reservations. Some rooms available, some not. But it saved us a few $$$ and we got to upgrade! Garden View to Outer Building Club at GF; Garden View to Pool/Lagoon View at YC (though I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter