Have you bought/sold clothes on Craigslist?

camdensmom

DIS Veteran
I have sold a lot of clothes in the past on ebay and have had some really good and some really bad experiences. We are cleaning house and I have lots of clothes that I would like to sell. I teach full time, am a toddler mom and run my own small business so I don't have the time to devote to selling them on ebay the way I used to.

I have sold furniture and related items on Craigslist, but I'm curious about the protocol for clothes. I've taken pictures of them all and they are all clean, name-brand and like new. I just don't want people coming to my house thinking they are going to try them on.

What have your experiences been like?

I've only sold baby/toddler clothes in lots - the people just came, barely looked them over and paid for them. My best friend bought a huge lot of maternity clothes and I know she didn't try them on.... Trying on is not an option and I don't think people would expect that... best of luck!

I have sold clothes on Craigslist. It's was not the greatest experience. I listed about three lots, with pictures, listed it as you must take all, meaning you can't show up and just say I want only these three things and then try to nickel and dime me. My clothes that went were all sweaters from Old Navy, just a year old and all size 3T and 4T and I sold about 8-10 items for $40. Honestly it was a steal because my daughter barely wore any of it, but it was more than I would have gotten giving them to Salvation Army. The other items I listed got lots of phone calls and "I want them", but never any pick-ups.

If you are trying to get top dollar for designer clothing then you should probably continue using ebay since you have a much larger audience. If you want to sell big lots of "okay" clothes then try CL.

Actually, I had great luck selling girls' clothes on Craigslist. SO much easier than on Ebay. I have a lot I'd like to run on CL right now actually.

I sold about 25 pieces of recent Gymboree lines in a single lot. They were all the same size and from the same general season. I listed them separately and described their condition, I also included 4 pics that showed smaller groupings of the 25 items.

It was a condition of the sale that they went as a lot only. If someone didn't like a peice or two, they could sell it themselves (kind of like Freecycle, passing on what you don't need). Pants/tees/skirts/shorts = $5 and dresses or 2 pc sets = $10.

I was amazed at how many responses I got, and most people were willing to take the whole lot. I sold the whole kit and caboodle to one woman, and gave her my phone # beforehand. We talked about other stuff I had and I ended up bringing the entire bin of DD's clothes. She didn't buy ALL of the bin, but I sold that one woman about $225 worth of clothes! AND she asked me to keep her email address for every change of season to call her with first dibs on DD's outgrown items! In fact, there are two women whose emails I hang onto at their request to give them first refusal rights...

I never Ebay her Gymbo clothes anymore unless they are NWT or a rare item.

Just meet at a mall parking lot, instead of your house. You'll be safer and people don't "no show" as much when they know you are driving to meet them somewhere (IMHO).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter