• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Has anything gotten BETTER over time?

What's gotten better over the years since we bought DVC in 2011...

Being able to check availability on the website, and book online!
I can remember so,so, so many calls JUST to see what resorts were available, what dates were available, and if you wanted to modify, that meant a call. There was no handy availability calendar online. I know there are still WAY too many things that folks are forced to call about, but it's better than it used to be.
We enjoy the DVC lounge in Epcot.
We've never done them, since they NEVER coincide with when we can travel, but the Moonlight Magic events sound fun. Not a big perk for us tho, but for some it's great
More resorts for DVC. I know many are just converted regular deluxes, but we NEVER, ever would've paid cash for deluxe,.
A huge thing for us is the discount on annual passes, if that goes away, we might start reconsidering some of our DVC/Disney travel to WDW.

I absolutely did NOT want to buy DVC, or any timeshare, I thought they were rip-offs, and didn't think we needed vacations all the time...DH was the one who wanted it. Kids were young, and we were going yearly or close to it. AND we loved Star Wars weekends (RIP.....) Chose BWV because he liked the proximity and ability to walk to 2 parks. I was sold on being able to stay in 1 or 2 bedrooms with full kitchens, washer/dryer, etc. I"m not interested in studios at this time.
We LOVE Epcot festivals so much. It's definitely something better that there are so many now, and almost all year. HS is the family's favorite park, even before SWGE, but we all love Star Wars additions. (please bring back the SW weekends!) Anything they add to parks that are more thrill rides, like Guardians are plusses to us. We're VERY glad to have bought BWV resale then.....now if only they'd make some dedicated 2 bedrooms....

Didn’t you read the documents before signing? Y’know, the part that says perks aren’t guaranteed?

I am trying to be as nice as I can to this comment.

There is a difference between not guaranteed in a contract and ethical/legal marketing.

Example can DVC make a 5th change (already have 4) to the perks disclosure stating you get AP discounts and never offer it? When is the line between not offering it and still publicizing it?

Could they leave it on there the next 10 years and never once offer an AP discount to new members.

So there is very much a responsibility on the selling party to be proactive in what the offering is and not just a "oh you might not get this" buried in a contract.

I suppose, conversely, under the heading of "perks aren't guaranteed", they could come back with some sort of marketing pitch that reads "Disney may, at any time and at its sole discretion, introduce additional perks, including complimentary Annual Passports and unlimited Fast Passes", exclusive to Disney's Vacation Club memberships purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development. Or something to that effect. They have the right to give and take as they please (no contractual obligation), and they aren't actually promising it. They're simply mentioning it as an "example" of what they "COULD" offer. And, if you were an original Disney's Vacation Club owner, it was a perk that you did in fact enjoy, so it's at least arguably within the realm of possibility.

Couple that with a guide saying something like "Well, it's not available now, and I can't say if or when it might happen, but.............. I have heard talk, and they did specifically add that to the memo that went out, so..........

Last edited:
They're simply mentioning it as an "example" of what they "COULD" offer.

That's fine but it's not how it has been set up.

So happy to talk about that when Disney changes things as of now there is an expectation of certain perks being offered at least a single time to new members.

That's fine but it's not how it has been set up.

So happy to talk about that when Disney changes things as of now there is an expectation of certain perks being offered at least a single time to new members.
I think you misunderstood my point. I'm agreeing with you, and merely providing an example (albeit an extreme one) of how the whole latitude Disney allows themselves when marketing "extras" is one very slippery slope. As long as they throw in enough ambiguous language, they can throw just about anything out there, beyond what's already been represented to current new members.

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot more minuses over the years than I have seen pluses. And that's sad. They've taken DVC (and WDW in general) from a premier product that set the standard in the industry and are now followers instead of leaders. Instead of saying "We're not like other timeshares", they now point at their changes and claim "Well, other timeshares do it this way too". Not a good look.

I think this is such a great point. With Disney, we are talking about the most creative and imaginative people in the world. Why does that not translate to their membership community? I know it could if it was important to them.

Has ANYTHING gotten better?
The only thing you are guaranteed with purchasing DVC is a room. That is what you are buying - the perks are just that - sometimes you get them sometimes you don't. We have benefitted from the DVC lounge (free soda!), moonlight magic, shopping & dining discounts, TiW and AP discounts. DVC will always keep offering incentives (perks) to sell direct. Those with the blue card will benefit.

The thing that has gotten better is that I paid $80 pp for my resale AK contract in 2015 and could sell it for $115-120pp. So my contract has appreciated nicely that i could sell, make money(or break even with paying dues) and i took some amazing trips. You get more as a resale buyer because you get the same room as those paying direct BUT you are paying less. The cost of direct disney rooms will keep going up so each year those cost increase your DVC essentially stays stable with the cost of points for the rooms.

DVC is how you look at it. I bought in just for the discount on the room. No way could i afford a 2BR unit for a week, but DVC allows me to do that. So I am happy with that. I am happy I got in with a resale blue card just before they changed that restriction. I am excited to see what DVC comes up with for future benefits. But overall I am happy to be able to take my family and experience disney.

Perks come and go. Did anything get better? Well, when my Mom and I bought, we got free park admission until December 31, 1999. But we knew that was a limited perk. After many years of paying full price for APs, DVC did allow us to buy the Gold AP, like Florida Residents. The dining/shopping discounts for DVC are nice, and they did finally allow us to get the Tables in Wonderland Card. So yes, some things improved. But everything has gotten expensive. Remember, every perk we get as DVC Members either has to be paid for by DVC Marketing or reflected in our dues...except, perhaps, the dining/merch discounts

Perks come and go. Did anything get better? Well, when my Mom and I bought, we got free park admission until December 31, 1999. But we knew that was a limited perk. After many years of paying full price for APs, DVC did allow us to buy the Gold AP, like Florida Residents. The dining/shopping discounts for DVC are nice, and they did finally allow us to get the Tables in Wonderland Card. So yes, some things improved. But everything has gotten expensive. Remember, every perk we get as DVC Members either has to be paid for by DVC Marketing or reflected in our dues...except, perhaps, the dining/merch discounts

I mean, that’s true under the current model. However, that’s where I think there is room for improvement. How much money does it cost to give early or extra access to a fast pass? How about providing more access, but fund it based on user fees? How much does the free soda perk in a lounge cost them? I just think there are other creative ways to rework the perk system that come at a very nominal charge.

I mean, that’s true under the current model. However, that’s where I think there is room for improvement. How much money does it cost to give early or extra access to a fast pass? How about providing more access, but fund it based on user fees? How much does the free soda perk in a lounge cost them? I just think there are other creative ways to rework the perk system that come at a very nominal charge.

Individual user out of pocket fees would be OK, giving everyone a choice as to whether it is important to them...but when you pay for something, it really isn't a perk. And dues are not allowed to be used for perks under Florida timeshare law, especially if it only applies to Blue Card members. I would like to see a lounge made available in every park, where we can rest a few minutes in the a/c and charge our phones. But I've got charger blocks...which as phone dependent as Disney World is now, with virtual queues for Rise of the Resistance and such, you really need your phone.

Personally, I'd like to see the airport luggage service return, even if it is pay to play.

Last edited:
Individual user out of pocket fees would be OK, giving everyone a choice as to whether it is important to them...but when you pay for something, it really isn't a perk. And dues are not allowed to be used for perks under Florida timeshare law, especially if it only applies to Blue Card members. I would like to see a lounge made available in every park, where we can rest a few minutes in the a/c and charge our phones. But I've got charger blocks...which as phone dependent as Disney World is now, with virtual cues for Rise of the Resistance and such, you really need your phone.

Personally, I'd like to see the airport luggage service return, even if it is pay to play.

I would love a lounge in every park and for luggage service to return.

I think, for me, it has to pass the sniff test. If you are going to advertise “Member Magic” and “Magical Extras,” and promote direct purchase at 150 points based on that pitch, you have to provide perks that a good portion of the membership would agree is “Magical.”

DVC set a standard and expectation by way of marketing and sales. In that sense, I don’t look at it as a true extra. There is an onus on DVC to constantly evaluate their offerings and ask themselves “Is it magical? That’s what we sold our membership!” I think a lot of people on this board would be happy if they felt DVC was truly operating under that guidance.

Couple that with a guide saying something like "Well, it's not available now, and I can't say if or when it might happen, but.............. I have heard talk, and they did specifically add that to the memo that went out, so..........
Your guide said that? Mine didn’t. They should have been fired.

Your guide said that? Mine didn’t. They should have been fired.
It was a hypothetical...

My point was, since Disney can give and take perks at their discretion (which is fair enough, since we don't pay for them), and can incorporate whatever language they choose to in marketing literature, sales scripts, etc., it's a slippery slope where all manner of "potential" perks can be floated and all sorts of "it could happen" perks can be hinted at in sales pitches.

Look at how the rumor mill works on these forums alone. Look how often there's a new thread with an opening line like "I heard from my Guide", or " A cast member at XYZ mentioned to me that", and couple that with the disproportionately large FOMO that seems to exist within the DVC owner community, and you have the potential for some chicanery. Already, you've got a number of threads postulating on what the "new" perks will be, even as the old ones (that haven't even been officially removed) haven't been brought back yet. You also have people steadfastly clinging to the "Disney would never take them away withoput replacing them with something better" mantra.

It's not outright bait-and-switch, but look at how the current ambiguity of AP discounts has so many people up in arms. Can you renew? Can you renew as Gold or Platunum? Can you buy new? If you buy a new contract, and the discount AP is listed as a perk (and pitched to you by your guide), when will you actually be able to buy that AP? Things like that. Not to mention the recent increase in minimum points for Blue Card owenership that so many Guides were supposedly entirely unaware of, and downplaying (or at least the non-mention as I understand it) of the fact that RIV resales are limited to RIV reservations in perpetuity.

I was merely pointing out that dangling the current (yet currently unavailable) discounted AP's in sales literature and pitches is not too different that suggesting potential future perks to entice new buyers. In both cases, Disney can claim that perks can be given and can be taken away at their discretion, or never offered at all.

Last edited:
I bought back in '93 and then added on almost every year til i now can stay for 4-5months. As i didn't go last year, i was able to rent out my points on disboards and at least it paid for the yearly fees plus some. Never been unhappy about buying. DVC is my home away from home.

Originally you could only borrow up to 50% and banking was more complicated. Right now there is the temporary restriction of only being able to borrow 50%, but generally you can borrow 100%.

My guide, all those years ago in 1992, actually DID explain that what were were buying was a prepaid stay. That everything else, perks, discounts, even WDW Parks could close or go away, and that such things are not part of the timeshare. Of course, back then, there was just OKW. They didn't even know if more DVC locations would be built. Vero Beach didn't come along until 3 years later. And Boardwalk was a year after Vero Beach.

It's worth thinking about what a sales agent---not just at DVC, but anywhere---actually does.

The agent's job is to help the customer construct a narrative as to why this widget is worth buying. It's almost never the case that the buyer needs the widget, but the agent is not about to point that out. It is not the sales agent's job to explain why the buyer might not want the widget. But, a good agent can do all of this---construct a positive narrative and avoid a negative one---without actually relying on the buyer's narrative being factually untrue.

A somewhat less-scrupulous agent will knowingly allow a customer to come to an incorrect conclusion without disabusing them of that notion. An agent with even fewer scruples might construct a narrative that, given sufficient motivation on the part of the buyer, will lead the buyer to that incorrect conclusion without the agent actually saying it out loud. The more motivated the buyer (to "save money," for example) the easier this is.

In almost any sales organization, agents are measured on how well they convert prospects to sales. In some---including DVC---the agents are paid in part in proportion to how much they sell. Human nature being what it is, agents in such organizations are likely to get closer and closer to whatever line they have that they don't want to cross. Over time, it is likely that that line will also move.

My guide, all those years ago in 1992, actually DID explain that what were were buying was a prepaid stay.

The same is true of the organization itself: it will drift closer to (and farther across) those various lines unless leadership is spending conscious effort to counteract this drift. And, leadership might not be inclined to do that, depending on how they are measured by the organization.

In other words (and to mis-quote the the Stand-Up Economist): People respond to incentives because incentives are things that move people to action.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter