Has anything gotten BETTER over time?

I’d say the availability of outside companies to make a solid business off the growth of DVC is an improvement. The resale and rental businesses are a prime example.

I think the discounted stays are great. But why should anyone buy DVC direct if that’s the only appreciable benefit? People sometimes equate perks with “free-bees,” and that certainly is one type of benefit. I honestly don’t care if I have to pay for exclusive access. I just would like it to be made available to the DVC community alone. If I had to pay an operating fee to use DVC lounges, I would do it. But make it available to DVC only. Once the excuse of “expense” is at least curbed, what excuses are left?

You are taking the short view when DVC is a long term proposition. And, you assume that the perks are never coming back. When really, the perks dissolved because there is a pandemic.

I need no excuse to enjoy my blue card. The rewards have been fabulous over the years. I am optimistic perks will indeed return. The Moonlight Magic events were a lot of fun and I was able to treat my friends for free. That was only two years ago. I also had my AP Gold Pass then. You make it sound like the perks were decades ago.

Maybe 4 years ago they offered up the Platinum Plan at great price, so we DVCers also got the waterparks and Photopass included.

I expect most DVC owners don't know you can purchase resale. I knew about DVC, but I didn't know you could purchase resale until The DIS launched a show about it a few years ago (before it became DVC Fan).

Also, I think current owners add-on direct because it's easier, instant and with smaller point contracts there's not always as a wide gap between resale and direct pricing.

Lack of awareness is probably true in a fair number of cases, but I believe that awareness will continue to improve. First, there is a chart explaining the difference between direct vs resale right on Disney’s own webpage. Second, our inner connectivity via social media has allowed information about possibilities to travel more freely. Finally, I know most people research things on the internet today. It doesn’t take too long for a resale site, message board, or podcast to come up if you are conducting a search.

I agree you won’t reach the impulsive buyer, but the value minded individual, of which I think the DVC community is greatly compromised, is going to be a research oriented individual just by their nature.

You are taking the short view when DVC is a long term proposition. And, you assume that the perks are never coming back. When really, the perks dissolved because there is a pandemic.

That’s just not true. I sold my PVB contract, which I got a great deal on, to buy 125 points at RIV and get my blue card. Not only did I welcome resale restrictions because I’m in it for 50 years, I traded out one of my contracts just so I could get the blue card. I wouldn’t have done that if I wasn’t in it for the long term and thought there were never going to be perks again.

However, the fact remains that there is little I could point to in terms of justification for seeking your blue card at this moment other than the hope that things improve in the future. That’s a more accurate statement about my position.

Yeah - the only thing 'Perks' seem to be doing these days is going...

As far as resort cost is concerned, DVC members appear to have a bad habit of making this comparison. With no perks, staying offsite - or near offsite at WDW - can be done for much, much less. I have read recent posts on these boards where visitors rented houses - with their own 'private' pool - for a fraction of Disney - or DVC - resort cost. With no perks, there is very little tie to the Disney bubble, so visitors are free to explore many cost effective alternatives. Belief that your DVC annual cost (plus that enormous up front payment) is far superior to the Disney resort rack rate - and there are no alternatives - is just your confirmation bias talking.
You are 100% comparing apples to oranges here. No one ever once said DVC was the cheapest way to stay at WDW,. What DVC does is allow you to stay on property at deluxe/near deluxe resorts with many of them within walking distance to park entrances. And it allows you to do this significantly under rack rates.
If your goal is to go to Disney and spend the least amount of money there are much cheaper options than DVC. Heck there are off site holiday inns for $100 a night etc. That being said to me and my family the experience of being on site and in the “bubble” is a significant upgrade than on site and driving to parks every day.

That’s just not true. I sold my PVB contract, which I got a great deal on, to buy 125 points at RIV and get my blue card. Not only did I welcome resale restrictions because I’m in it for 50 years, I traded out one of my contracts just so I could get the blue card. I wouldn’t have done that if I wasn’t in it for the long term and thought there were never going to be perks again.

However, the fact remains that there is little I could point to in terms of justification for seeking your blue card at this moment other than the hope that things improve in the future. That’s a more accurate statement about my position.
What is it you think they should be offering right this second? They are still trying to ramp up at the end of a pandemic.

You are 100% comparing apples to oranges here. No one ever once said DVC was the cheapest way to stay at WDW,. What DVC does is allow you to stay on property at deluxe/near deluxe resorts with many of them within walking distance to park entrances. And it allows you to do this significantly under rack rates.
If your goal is to go to Disney and spend the least amount of money there are much cheaper options than DVC. Heck there are off site holiday inns for $100 a night etc. That being said to me and my family the experience of being on site and in the “bubble” is a significant upgrade than on site and driving to parks every day.

I don’t know. I fall somewhere in between. Staying in the bubble is nice, even if that is the only benefit of owning DVC. But I will speak for myself and say I’m always running value comparisons. For those of us traveling from out of state, there are some amazing DVC rental properties offsite. Then, it becomes an exercise of comparing the value of being onsite with the available alternatives, of which there are becoming more and more.

The one thing, beyond being onsite, that an offsite alternative can never offer or replicate is the DVC perks.

What is it you think they should be offering right this second? They are still trying to ramp up at the end of a pandemic.

I’m sorry to be cynical, but while I believe perks are coming back to some extent, I believe they will use the pandemic as an excuse to shift to less. If it’s just the pandemic that caused perks to cease, we should get back exactly what was lost prior to the pandemic once everything stabilizes. It is fair to say I don’t think that is going to happen. Honestly, without the list in front of me, I think every perk could come back right now if they wanted it to happen.

I’m sorry to be cynical, but while I believe perks are coming back to some extent, I believe they will use the pandemic as an excuse to shift to less. If it’s just the pandemic that caused perks to cease, we should get back exactly what was lost prior to the pandemic once everything stabilizes. It is fair to say I don’t think that is going to happen. Honestly, without the list in front of me, I think every perk could come back right now if they wanted it to happen.
But again, they are perks, not entitlements.

And they come and go. Some disappear and other cooler things take their place. This is what I have noticed over 25 years.

But again, they are perks, not entitlements.

And they come and go. Some disappear and other cooler things take their place. This is what I have noticed over 25 years.

Well, that’s the point of this thread. What is cooler (ie better) that has taken a previous perk’s place? I’m not seeing a lot added. I’m all for replacement perks.

Additionally, my thing is this: There needs to be truth in advertising. There is a big difference between what a company is legally obligated to do and what they should do. If you want to offer no perks, I’m fine with that as long as you don’t overtly and excessively promote perks to sell a timeshare. Honestly, I think that’s what bothers most people in this whole “perks” conversation.

Finally, offering perks builds a constituency. That’s just a fact. There is never resentment over losing something someone never had. A company constantly shifting their position is not conducting business in good faith, IMO. This causes people to be resentful, and, in my opinion, rightfully so. I don’t care what the contract says.

As others have said, the website is a vast improvement over what it was 10 years ago.
For me the best improvement is that we got more resorts. I like to stay at different resorts every time so it's great they continue to expand. Looking forward having a second option in DL, which, being made mostly of studios, should make it a bit easier to book there.

I think we have to remember that the DIS community is such a small sample of DVC buyers.

Most are buyers who do so while at WDW and of course, get the magic of it all in the presentation.

As I said, I believe DVD markets to the new buyer and not the owners who have just resale but may have FOMO.

To me, the biggest different is not so much blue card but the use of the points. One is RIV and it’s popular for sure. I talked with a few who were staying cash and DVC. All just loved it.

But direct points can also be used for cruises and other options. We can debate value, but it’s still something you can’t get resale. Sometimes ease is worth that. I would have no issue using some of my direct points for a cruise since it would replace a WDW trip.

Now if there was absolutely no difference like in 2009 when I first bought in, then yeah, it is harder to consider and I bought resale over the years because of that.

However, there is now a difference and so the perks or benefits could sway and do sway many to go that route, for not only what is there but the potential what can be.

I won’t go resale again other than RIV because I don’t like the restricted points since RIV is my top resort. So, direct is my only choice and I’d rather own less unrestricted than more that are.

No question resale saves. No question blue card perks or benefits don’t make up that savings for everyone.

But for us, direct offers enough options and flexibility to make the purchase of direct points worth it. I suspect there are a lot of owners who look at them as a bonus.

DVC is not a cheap way to go to WDW. Lots of less expensive options like value resorts, hotels outside of Disney and private homes.

Unless one is really okay with those cheaper options...we are not..then you look at the whole picture and for some, perks beyond the savings of a room at a DVC resort over cash onsite need to be there.

Well, that’s the point of this thread. What is cooler (ie better) that has taken a previous perk’s place? I’m not seeing a lot added. I’m all for replacement perks.

Additionally, my thing is this: There needs to be truth in advertising. There is a big difference between what a company is legally obligated to do and what they should do. If you want to offer no perks, I’m fine with that as long as you don’t overtly and excessively promote perks to sell a timeshare. Honestly, I think that’s what bothers most people in this whole “perks” conversation.

Finally, offering perks builds a constituency. That’s just a fact. There is never resentment over losing something someone never had. A company constantly shifting their position is not conducting business in good faith, IMO. This causes people to be resentful, and, in my opinion, rightfully so. I don’t care what the contract says.
I think we are not looking at several things that have been adding and giving DVC credit. The current DVC merchandise discount is I think 20%, that’s a big deal really. Still get 10% off at a lot of restaurants. They have the lounge at Epcot that we joke about since it’s just free soda, but that place in mid July for a nice 30min break is solid. There is also TOTWL which is a pretty darn cool place whenever it reopens. The website is 1000% better (although that benefits DVC as much as us since the automation lowers the need for CMs on the phones). While we don’t know about AP discounts coming back I feel highly confident they will return when APs go on sale to the public again. Those gold passes are a big savings to a family like mine who travel 3 times in a 12 month span.
I know we like to promote doom and gloom, but IMO it’s not nearly as bad as some think.

Let's see. I bought 25 years ago. Here are the benefits we have used beyond just a room.

-- Many more resort choices. This is a huge benefit. There were 3 resorts when we joined.
-- Much easier booking. Holidays used to be by lottery and you had to do everything by phone. Website makes planning a lot easier.
--Discounts on food and merch. We used that a lot the past trip.
--Free parking. That is really adding up these days!
-- Specials like Moonlight Magic. That's several hundred dollar perk if you bring friends like we did.
-- Ticket specials. We used the buy 4, get 2 days special last month. Before that we used the Gold Pass and the super special pass that came with all the bells and whistles before that.
-- booking cruises with our points. This worked out perfectly One year for a last minute cruise.
-- using our points in Chicago. Perfect for our anniversary.
-- the Epcot lounge, which we enjoy every stay.

One thing we lost that we weren't happy about was the valet parking.

I am betting on a new wave of perks. They will need something as a bell and whistle for the latest round of DVC sales. As I said, the 6 day ticket was a recent perk for DVC members they used as a stop gap.

I’ve read a ton of write ups about how DVC members got more, paid less, and the experience was more advantageous in the past. Has ANYTHING gotten better? No is an acceptable and somewhat expected answer.
Our first DVC stay was in 1998 (BWV Studio). We enjoyed a number of exchanges, against other timeshare, until our first purchase in 2004 at SSR. Things that have improved, from our view, since first joining:
  • SSR broke the traditional 2042 expiration pattern! Now each new resort gets its own 50 year lease vs being tied back to OKW's original date.
  • The landscaping at Saratoga has grown in (matured) and is lovely. We stayed 16 nights (two visits) in 2019 and I really fell in love with walking the grounds.
  • SSR received the unexpected and delightful addition of the Treehouse Villas. That was a complete gift (not something hinted or suggested at time of purchase) and we really enjoy staying in the Treehouse Villas.
  • Along the Treehouse line ... DVC has expanded their basic unit model to include the Bungalows, Cabins, etc. While the point costs are ridiculous and have upset the point balance at these locations (especially Poly), I really enjoy staying in the Cabins when we can.
  • Member Magic events! These are fairly new and very welcome.
  • The Member Website added online reservations and eventually the ability to modify those reservations. (This was very late in coming compared to other timeshare ... but it finally came!)
  • The RCI relationship was expanded to include access to RCI Rentals!! (Finally! Again, late in coming but finally showed up.)
  • One-Time-Use-Points. Again, other timeshares already had similar ... and now DVC does, too!
Just off the top of my head while I'm still half-way through my first cup of coffee. Good luck with your research and ponderings! Glad you are asking questions and giving this thorough consideration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter