Has anyone used their wheelchair recently at Universal Studios Orlando? I couldn't find much searching.

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Has anyone used their wheelchair recently at Universal Studios Orlando? I couldn't find much searching.

I tried reading up on the Disability info from Universal Studios Orlando website for disability and searched this board and the Disability Board.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/plan-your-visit/accessibility-information

It seems like they restrict the electric wheelchairs like mine from entering many of the attraction queues.

I assume that is why not many wheelchair guests have any reviews.

Even though my wheelchair is electric, it is about the same size if not the same size of a manual wheelchair and only weighs 55-lbs.

JimC recently posted on the DISability Boards that his wife was denied access to the Flights of Passage in her manual wheelchair with an electric assist device.

I hope WDW doesn't start restrictions like Universal Studios.

Well, anyway.

I haven't been to Universal Studios Orlando in decades and since I was staying offsite with a rental car for two weeks, I wanted to try and visit Universal Studios Orlando.

And wheelchair experiences would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ray

I use a wheel chair, and yes, on some rides you will need to transfer into one of their manual chairs.

They will not let you in the line with an electric chair. Probably worried about people getting run over.

How much can you walk? That makes a difference too. I have no mobility at all without a chair, but no problem transferring.

The way it works for me is, my whole group has express passes, but me and usually my whole group are taken straight to the ride loading area. Sometimes my group is made to go thru the express line or at least a part of it. I have never had a full 10 min wait for them to be there with me. Usually maybe 5.

I will warn of one danger I have seen and I have talked to them about this. They are not very good at the way they paint curbs and ramp areas. Sometimes the ramp area is painted the same color as the curb, so if someone wasn't paying attention they could run off the curb instead of using the ramp.

If you have specific questions, I can probably answer them.

Hi, skylock. Thank you for your advice. I will be traveling alone so I wouldn't have anyone to help push me. I guess that I might be able to use a manual wheelchair as a walker if it wasn't too long of a queue line nor too steep.

Thank you, again.

I use a wheel chair, and yes, on some rides you will need to transfer into one of their manual chairs.

They will not let you in the line with an electric chair. Probably worried about people getting run over.

How much can you walk? That makes a difference too. I have no mobility at all without a chair, but no problem transferring.

The way it works for me is, my whole group has express passes, but me and usually my whole group are taken straight to the ride loading area. Sometimes my group is made to go thru the express line or at least a part of it. I have never had a full 10 min wait for them to be there with me. Usually maybe 5.

I will warn of one danger I have seen and I have talked to them about this. They are not very good at the way they paint curbs and ramp areas. Sometimes the ramp area is painted the same color as the curb, so if someone wasn't paying attention they could run off the curb instead of using the ramp.

If you have specific questions, I can probably answer them.

One of the team members always pushes me, but like I said, we all have express passes, and we are often taken thru a back way straight to the load area.

I do not know how it would work in your case, but come back and let us know.

The best advice I can give you is when you approach a ride you want to do, go up to the first team member you see and ask what you need to do. If you need to change chairs, they will tell you where to park your scooter. Sometimes, I park my scooter on the load area. Sometimes they then move it and sometimes it stays where I park it.

Just don't be afraid to talk to the teammembers.

Thank you, skylock. I will do that.

One of the team members always pushes me, but like I said, we all have express passes, and we are often taken thru a back way straight to the load area.

I do not know how it would work in your case, but come back and let us know.

The best advice I can give you is when you approach a ride you want to do, go up to the first team member you see and ask what you need to do. If you need to change chairs, they will tell you where to park your scooter. Sometimes, I park my scooter on the load area. Sometimes they then move it and sometimes it stays where I park it.

Just don't be afraid to talk to the teammembers.

Oh and Ray join the Universal Community by Orlando Informer group on facebook too! I knew there was another place to refer you to-this is another super good group and there is an admin here too who specifically can assist with disability questions (name is Debi)

When is your trip?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter