Has Anyone Skipped the Greeting Announcement?

We have not stopped for an embarkation photo in the last dozen cruises. I do not like them. I want to be ONBOARD already. We just side step them and keep going.

Yeah, now that my kids are kind of over it, I’m over it, too.

We might actually be doing those CMs a small favor by giving them 10 seconds of respite from the constant clapping.

We have not stopped for an embarkation photo in the last dozen cruises. I do not like them. I want to be ONBOARD already. We just side step them and keep going.

We did pose once or twice for the embarkation photos when we starting cruising, but passed by each time ever since.

Has anyone ever managed to skip the greeting announcement when you board the ship? I'm an introvert and will be cruising solo for the first time, and I'll be in a reflective mood as there are hard things happening in my life now (chronically sick child, break-up, move) and the cruise is to support my mental health. I would be more comfortable not being announced. Has anyone had success quietly requesting that, or do they tend to be surprised & that puts even more attention on you? Any experiences to share?
It's one of my favorite things about getting onto a Disney ship. It really sets the mood that you're being welcomed and the vacation will be all about having fun. For what it's worth, my daughter is an introvert and even she smiles when they announce, "The Disney....welcomes the Sirkin Family!"

It's one of my favorite things about getting onto a Disney ship. It really sets the mood that you're being welcomed and the vacation will be all about having fun. For what it's worth, my daughter is an introvert and even she smiles when they announce, "The Disney....welcomes the Sirkin Family!"
They've already stated they have cruised before, are aware of the mood it creates for them and aren't interested in the announcement. I'll take them at their word that they're confident they want to skip the announcement and aren't interested in the feeling it creates for them.

I'll second/third/fourth what other posters have said that it's easy to skip the announcement and hope the OP has a good solo cruise and able to have the self-reflection and alone time they seem to require at this stage in their life.

We were on second cruise of Symphony of the Seas. You haven't seen a gauntlet yet. Fifty or sixty crew, including Captain, as you enter, twenty or thirty waiters clapping you into buffet and dining room every day. And when you leave the dining room. Lots of crew just coming up to talk while you are eating. These folks have been without guests for a year and a half and are massively glad to see you back. Wave and clap back. We were on the ship for three weeks and it was the same every day. By the end of the cruise you feel like it is one huge family.

I'm enjoying this thread but maybe it's reached its conclusion.

It seems like there are four camps of posters in it with some overlap:
1. The people who gave OP their answer which is tell the cast member so they don't announce you and let them know if you want to skip Captain Mickey and Captain Minnie's show so that you're sent away from those social distancing markers and straight upstairs
2. The people who ignored the question so they could talk about how THEY feel about being welcomed aboard with applause
3. People who think they're helping by giving pep talks and pointing out how short lived and contained that attention is
4. People who find group 3's comments to be dismissive and examples of toxic positivity

I'm not a moderator but it's clear that there is some tension between groups 3 & 4 because group 3 seems to genuinely be confused by OP and assumes they're a more common type of shy person who can just "get over it" as opposed to someone dealing with something serious like social anxiety, and group 4 only sees group 3 as leaving self-absorbed comments that don't help at all. I don't think anyone is trying to be a jerk.

This concludes my PSA, let's just get along, please. :rolleyes1

Going to add one final comment - on a positive note. I too preferred no name announcement, and a simple "no thank you" was all I needed to step past. But after I stopped to listen for a moment I was enthralled. We were on the first Disney ship to sail after the pandemic and I realized a few of the guests and crew members had tears in their eyes. While I'm never going to want that attention myself, I was reminded how different the world looks to different people at different times in their lives, and I love that the Disney crew has this tradition.

just be aware that things are different now. You cant just keep on walking. You will be directed to a spot in the atrium to watch the new Welcome On Board show. After the show, the CM's direct everyone to the Muster Stations. This show is part of the new Covid crowd flow procedures. While one group watches the show, the group before them are checking into the Muster Station area. Then after the Muster Station check in you can go eat, either in Cabanas or at the MDR or at the quick service at the pool deck.
What Welcome on Board show? I've sailed 2x in the past 6 months - once on the Fantasy and once on the Dream. There was no show...

What Welcome on Board show?
I was referring only to the "Welcome X Family" announcement when you came into the main entry hall after boarding - this was after the pandemic. Which is what I think some people like the original poster find/found uncomfortable. Perhaps they've discontinued that? I don't know. It might catch some "first timers" off guard for better or for worse.

Last edited:
We skipped the photos after the first cruise. There are some things DCL need to get rid of and the family name and clapping thing is one of them. Do first time cruisers like this? I don't know maybe they can chime in.

I give them my first name since it's just me and they announce that.
I think it's hokey and silly, but it's a thing DCL does, so I just play along, grin and bear it. It's over in a few seconds and no one else in the grand hall really cares or is listening aside from the several cast members you walk past.

We're Platinum and they've done the Welcome greeting since our first DCL cruise.

Everyone is different but in our case whenever we're going through a tough patch, and right now we are, we welcome any distractions. Anything Disney can do that will brighten our day is appreciated. The welcome greeting for us is one of those little things so we won't skip it.

Has anyone ever managed to skip the greeting announcement when you board the ship? I'm an introvert and will be cruising solo for the first time, and I'll be in a reflective mood as there are hard things happening in my life now (chronically sick child, break-up, move) and the cruise is to support my mental health. I would be more comfortable not being announced. Has anyone had success quietly requesting that, or do they tend to be surprised & that puts even more attention on you? Any experiences to share?
I have politely said no and stepped around them to the side with no issues in the past multiple times. This was all on the Dream/Fantasy. They'll give you some confused looks usually but if you just keep walking and step out of the line of Crew ushering you on to the ship, they just let you go.

I too don't like the attention and feel it unnecessary.

Two weekends ago on the Wish there were only two CMs with mics at the entrance to the ship, not a gauntlet of CMs like I've seen on previous cruises. And, after DS and I were announced there was literally no one who seemed to care in the least. I don't care one way or the other about the attention, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem to be the same hoopla now as it was last time I cruised Disney in January 2020 and 2018.

Two weekends ago on the Wish there were only two CMs with mics at the entrance to the ship, not a gauntlet of CMs like I've seen on previous cruises. And, after DS and I were announced there was literally no one who seemed to care in the least. I don't care one way or the other about the attention, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem to be the same hoopla now as it was last time I cruised Disney in January 2020 and 2018.
I agree. It was the same this past Friday when we embarked on a 3-night Wish
2-3 CMs calling names, no one clapping, grand hall was silent, no one seemed to care. it was so cringe.
They used to pretend in the past...they obviously don't care anymore.
It's just a sad spectacle now. DCL should just scrap this, it's embarrassing for all.

It was neat during our first cruise in 2014 on the Fantasy where there were actually CMs cheering us on. On the Wish in December it was awkward with no one listening/reacting to the names being announced. I am not sure what the point is now.

I agree. It was the same this past Friday when we embarked on a 3-night Wish
2-3 CMs calling names, no one clapping, grand hall was silent, no one seemed to care. it was so cringe.
They used to pretend in the past...they obviously don't care anymore.
It's just a sad spectacle now. DCL should just scrap this, it's embarrassing for all.
It's almost surely a staffing problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter